Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**The wtf plumbing thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Non return taken off on a semi sealed system taken off the main tank??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

corkgsxr wrote: »

I see that a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I see that a good bit

Me too but for sake of a 10er loop

Heating chemicals are toxic. And heating up main tank could cause legonares

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Is that the expansion too, with a valve on it, closed? Or is there an expansion vessel somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Not a plumber. I was looking at the water tank in the attic over the weekend, something did not look right to me and the above now has me very concerned. The expansion from the heating goes into the main tank. Is that normal?? I'm used to seing a seperate expansion tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tonyroc

Here is a video of two single non returns on same pipe backflow 100 ml a minute . water results show levels bacteria 500 times higher than eu guidelines .Polish microbiologist said house should boarded up untill repaired .all 5 family members sick . Plumbers i told about the dangers they all laughed at me. Basically called me a nut job . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrvXuY7iF08

When you disconnect the flexi you have unintentionally just created a dead leg on the feed pipe if its in the hot press any bacteria in water feed on the rubber in flexi when the hot press hits 18c bacteria builds up and feeds into the whole system. It doesn't even need the rubber

This is toxicology report on just one ingredient used is inhibitors its mutagenic it can mutate bacteria its carcinogenic

Here is some "expert" plumbing in a rented apartment in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

tonyroc wrote:

Those are the worst fittings in the world. I don't know how any plumber ever used them. I hate them.

• Advertisement

tonyroc wrote: »
    This is toxicology report on just one ingredient used is inhibitors its mutagenic it can mutate bacteria its carcinogenic

Funny that the condition is called RADS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It might not be suffering any of the problems you describe though

gctest50 wrote: »
    It might not be suffering any of the problems you describe though
    The tenant who was sick all the time moved out so I never got a chance to test the water or eyeball the system which was just sitting in the hallway no hotpress. She said the landlord put it in himself . They seem to be a lot healthier now. It could have something to do with chemicals leaching from the plastic pipes. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think plastic pipes are supposed to be directly connected to the copper cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Nope, not carcinogenic. Mutagenic to bacteria but negative for genotoxicity in mice.

The tenant who was sick all the time

Any medical records ?

.....moved out....They seem to be a lot healthier now...

Bit late now

so I never got a chance to test the water

So the water was never tested

or eyeball the system

So you never saw it, never looked at it

which was just sitting in the hallway no hotpress.

The one photo you attached could have been taken at any time.

Maybe the person installing it was going build a hotpress around it after lunch ? Who knows ?

She said the landlord put it in himself .

It may be fine, you didn't test the water

They seem to be a lot healthier now.

Are you a doctor ?

What did they have ?

It could have something to do with chemicals leaching from the plastic pipes.

What chemicals ?

What brand & type of pipe ?

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think plastic pipes are supposed to be directly connected to the copper cylinder.

Can you paste in the regs for this ?

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Nope, not carcinogenic. Mutagenic to bacteria but negative for genotoxicity in mice.
    It's still up for debate if this study is taken into account : The occurrence of tumours in both rats and mice is suggestive of a possible
    carcinogenic effect of benzotriazole in both species:
    In the 78-week study in rats, adenomas and carcinomas of the liver occurred at a
    statistically significant incidence in the high-dose group (5/45) when compared
    with the control group (0/48). The figure for the high dose group is rather high and
    this should be taken into consideration, when evaluating the evidence of
    carcinogenicity. Another observation which points towards a carcinogenic effect of
    benzotriazole was the occurrence of rare brain tumours in three low-dose male rats
    (one oligodendroglioma and two gliomas) and in one high-dose female (glioma)
    with no brain tumours observed in the control group. Furthermore, an increased
    incidence of tumours in the uterus and thyroid has also been observed in the rats.
    Low-dose female mice showed a statistical significant increase in lung-tumours;
    also the high-dosed females showed an increased incidence of lung-tumours
    compared to control animals, although not statistically significant.
    The occurrence of tumours in both rats and mice is suggestive of a possible
    carcinogenic effect of benzotriazole in both species.
    http://www2.mst.dk/Udgiv/publications/2013/12/978-87-93026-81-0.pdf
    the company who make the inhibitors say "No data Available" frequently which also makes me wonder what tests they actually did on the chemical.
    I also wonder what do the plumbers do with the fluid containing these types of chemicals when they flush a central heating system "Do not discharge into drains or rivers. Contain the spillage using bunding."
    http://www.adey.com/downloads/chemicals/MSDS_Documents/MC1Plus_RAPIDE_MSDS_Eng.pdf

gctest50 wrote:
    Can you paste in the regs for this ?

I don't think it is in the regs as such but if memory serves the manufacturer says not to connect to top of cylinder. Qualpex can't handle the heat if thermostat fails ax ask.If this is the case then it would be against the regs to use something against the manufacturer specs.

The new Irish Water meters might have a one-way valve in them

This would help stop your neighbours "house" water bleeding back into yours

( not a replacement for a safe system in their house though )

So your neighbour could be poisoning you if they don't have an Irish Water meter (presuming meters have the one-way valve option fitted)

eg

gctest50 wrote: »
    The new Irish Water meters might have a one-way valve in them

This would help stop your neighbours "house" water bleeding back into yours

( not a replacement for a safe system in their house though )
    you are correct the water meter does have a single non return valve fitted but because of the chemicals and bacteria involved there needs to be a double non return used. Dept of Environment Eamon Smyth engineer admitted CHS fluid containing chemicals is classified cat 4 hazzard .
    The chances of backflow or backsiphonage into the public water mains is remote but it has happened in the past . I also posted a video earlier in the thread of two non returns leaking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrvXuY7iF08

I see why this is called wtf thread now cause what the fcuk has all the above got to do this thread

• Advertisement

you are correct the water meter does have a single non return valve fitted but because of the chemicals and bacteria involved there needs to be a double non return used. Dept of Environment Eamon Smyth engineer admitted CHS fluid containing chemicals is classified cat 4 hazzard .
    The chances of backflow or backsiphonage into the public water mains is remote but it has happened in the past .

As i said, it's no replacement for a safe system, it's a bit of a last-ditch effort that shouldn't be needed at all

So, an Irish Water meter is a great improvement - not perfect but better than nothing

like these :

OB3NuHb.jpg

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I see why this is called wtf thread now cause what the fcuk has all the above got to do this thread

cos it's the WTF thread - all kinds of WTF catered for :)

My son found this while out repairing a shower yesterday:eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Hole for pipes/wire not sealed ?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote:
    Hole for pipes/wire not sealed ?

It rarely is. Some plumbers prefer the ugly silicon around the shower

Found one for the first time a few months back myself

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Found one for the first time a few months back myself

I've seen photos online but never came across myself. Wasn't there with my son so didn't see this one either. :)

I've seen photos online but never came across myself. Wasn't there with my son so didn't see this one either. :)

Don't worry. Your day will come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Don't worry. Your day will come.

My day came a couple of years ago. Circuit breaker tripped so I removed the cover to find a dead mouse across the terminals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Citroen2cv

1/2 copper rad pipes under my hall.

Advertisement