Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**The wtf plumbing thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Some recent pics...

The Ladder to success, or in this case a Potterton Prima :)

20150424_151728_resized.jpg

Classic Stuff.. :rolleyes:

20150508_125116_resized.jpg

The Germans have dodgy plumbers as well... :eek:

20150511_080732_resized.jpg

Another dodgy unvented cylinder install...

20150508_125340_resized.jpg

20150508_125326_resized.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

• Advertisement

Took effort to be fair

40mm wavin?? Not even 2"

That's besides the point anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

corkgsxr wrote: »
    40mm wavin?? Not even 2"

That's besides the point anyway

Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Call to heating not working
    The meter could explain why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Call to heating not working
    The meter could explain why

Ha ha ha!! Somehow I dont see the gas company getting that money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Walter Becket

I've just finished reading the thread from the start. And I'm shocked to realise that none of the stuff is a surprise to me. Today alone I came across a plug with no back and tin foyle around the fuse; oil boiler with fire valve outside the boiler casing; well pump with no fuse just a light switch and protected from the elements by 2 old sheets of galvanised steel held in place with 3 concrete blocks. The well head I didn't see I guess it's under a slab that's grown over with grass so rain water can wash whatever animal sh1t is in the field down the well.
    Am I de-sensatised after seeing too much dodgy workmanship. I think I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

It's not dodgy workmanship, it's 'colloquial adaptation'

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Walter Becket

nmacc wrote: »
    It's not dodgy workmanship, it's 'colloquial adaptation'

:-)

It's the result of a lack of understanding that rules regulations laws guidelines and the instillation manual have been written to protect us.

But mostly it's the belief that rules are for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

2wfi6g1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Fixing a shower door today, hit the wall where the shower was, sparks shoot out the bottom of the shower and land in the shower tray. Decided a new shower was in order.

Taking out the old shower found what caused the sparks, a wood screw which was on top of the heating tank shorted the main live connection and the tank.

It was installed before my time, could of easily been fatal if the shower had of been in use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sd04vz6ot8r679e/Photo%2012-12-2015%2020%2018%2030.jpg?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

No explanation needed....I think. :eek:

393116.jpg

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Friend of mine gave me a call a few weeks ago, he could hear water running in the utility room near the washing machine, so we started an investigation.

First job was pull the washing machine out, and turn off the supply taps to the machine, which didn't stop the noise, so that confirmed the suspicion, the problem was not the washing machine.

The good quality wooden floor had to be lifted, and then when we got a few boards out, the old floor could be lifted, and the hope that it was a leaking joint under the floor was dashed, the leak was close, but inside the 9" block that the pipe was passing through.

Now the fun started. Outdoors to find the first obstacle.
    X137uzd.jpg?1

KQrQRTF.jpg?1

The pipes were in behind the oil tank, and it was clear that whoever had put them in had not done the most wonderful job of insulating or protecting them. We could just about see the pipes, but getting to them to actually work on them was going to be a very different story.

That put a stop to repairs for the day, the one redeeming feature being that there was a lever valve in the kitchen that isolated the area, so we could at least temporarily stop the leak.

Return the following day with 4 x 205 litre oil drums, and the other things needed to drain and then move the oil tank, which took a while, and then we could get in to the area to investigate what was there, and what needed doing.

IkkpBLv.jpg?1

E3YnNTJ.jpg?2

The insulation on the pipes was not exactly great, and exposed to the elements, so a fairly significant job was needed to get the damaged pipe out, replace it, after enlarging the hole in the block to remove the restriction that caused the damage, and having repaired the pipe, put some decent insulation on them, then some spray foam to improve the insulation, put some boards around the foam to keep the weather out, put the tank back into place, and then get the oil back in the tank.

eILWecR.jpg?2

The pipe had been there for over 25 years, so I suppose the one redeeming feature is that I won't be repairing this fault again if it recurs, but you know it's getting serious when it takes over a day's work to repair a small leak in a water pipe.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Nice work if you can avoid it!!
    In passing how did you get fuel back into the tank?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Nice work if you can avoid it!!

In passing how did you get fuel back into the tank?

Believe it or not, that was relatively easy, as the barrels were in good condition, I put appropriate fittings on both fittings, and made a 3/4" dip tube to go on the large fitting, and my small compressor with about 10PSI blew it all back into the tank without any pain or hassle, nearly 800 Litres, without a spill, and less than a litre in the barrels after the move.

I have to admit to keeping the important pieces of that rig in case I get another tank to empty and refill, as this was very easy to do.

I was happy to be able to help my mate sort it, he has some health issues that meant there was/is no way he could do the job, but I have to admit to having been less than impressed when I found out what there. He's had problems with the pipes freezing in the past, hopefully, the changes we're made will remove that issue in future.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Plumbers that say they'll come and fix a leak but never bother their arse coming. I know a man that had a leak in his bathroom rang a plumber he knew and of course he never turned up, next time he met him the plumber asked did you fix the leak he said yes and the plumber said I knew you would be able to do it :rolleyes:

Its when you see it... :pac:

Screenshot_2016-09-11-00-27-13.png

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Its when you see it... :pac:

Ok I give up. Except for the clip on the insulation I don't see anything strange.

Wearb wrote: »
    Ok I give up. Except for the clip on the insulation I don't see anything strange.

Sorry Wearb, it just made me laugh out loud seeing a row of nail clips holding the cable to the cylinder

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Sorry Wearb, it just made me laugh out loud seeing a row of nail clips holding the cable to the cylinder

Well at least it wasn't that whale-like scruff to the left of the clip. I was thinking that if it was that, then "he's lost it altogether" :)

I'm offering a rad fixing service lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What is it? Tech 7?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What is it? Tech 7?

Felt harder. Maybe bodywork filler or chemical metal.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Rad next to the loo is it? (eww, urine corrosion)

Advertisement