Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

etape du tour 2014 pau - hauticam

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gooch134

Hello all.

The training has ( or has not) been done. No more hiding. Facing our demons on Sunday. I am traveling over tomorrow to Argeles Gazost with three of my mates. We will make up part of a 45 strong team with Trail Seekers. I dont know any of you guys here to see or by name. All I can say about me and my 3 buddies is KLO for " Dingle Adventure Race Jerseys".

I only started bike training approx 5 weeks ago. On the bike only dribs & drabs up to then. I should be ok. This is a short stage as has been pointed out earlier. I was running right up to six weeks ago so I had good fitness to begin with.

Another of my group only started training 6 weeks ago from scratch ( I dont feel 2 bad now). He had been injured since August 2013 and had only come around then. Will be interesting to see how he fares. You will recognise him, " Dingle Adventure Race" jersey and probably the only person taking part in the event wearing runners!! A Legend.

I will be looking out for potential Irish along the way,

Best of luck,
    Raymond

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

See you there R.
    One of 4 Orwell who are heading over. with Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

gooch134 wrote: »
    Hello all.

The training has ( or has not) been done. No more hiding. Facing our demons on Sunday. I am traveling over tomorrow to Argeles Gazost with three of my mates. We will make up part of a 45 strong team with Trail Seekers. I dont know any of you guys here to see or by name. All I can say about me and my 3 buddies is KLO for " Dingle Adventure Race Jerseys".

I only started bike training approx 5 weeks ago. On the bike only dribs & drabs up to then. I should be ok. This is a short stage as has been pointed out earlier. I was running right up to six weeks ago so I had good fitness to begin with.

Another of my group only started training 6 weeks ago from scratch ( I dont feel 2 bad now). He had been injured since August 2013 and had only come around then. Will be interesting to see how he fares. You will recognise him, " Dingle Adventure Race" jersey and probably the only person taking part in the event wearing runners!! A Legend.

I will be looking out for potential Irish along the way,

Best of luck,
    Raymond
    See ye tomorrow at some stage. Flying over in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gr3g0ree

I'll get all my waterproof kit with me, just in case that 'might be raining' turns into a proper rain on Sunday morning/afternoon :)
    What I'll take will be decided on Sun morning.
    Btw is there any shuttle transport back to Pau from the finish? Might need to get back somehow as I'm renting a bike and need to drop it after the race.

Should be buses. I think you should be able to book it at registration

• Advertisement

How'd everyone get on? Some miserable day up the tourmalet yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I signed up for this ages ago but couldn't go for various reasons. I got a load of pre-event emails, including one warning of dire weather and advising everyone to bring warm clothes. How did everyone get on? Was the weather as bad as the emails suggested?

Koobcam wrote: »
    I signed up for this ages ago but couldn't go for various reasons. I got a load of pre-event emails, including one warning of dire weather and advising everyone to bring warm clothes. How did everyone get on? Was the weather as bad as the emails suggested?

Will give a proper report when I get back. Great day but the weather was horrendous on the tourmalet and almost as bad on the hautecam. Heavy rain and a wind chill which made the descent deadly. Braking downhill for about an hour is not fun! Did the descent Thursday in about 30 minutes, must have been twice or three times as long yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Koobcam wrote: »

It was as bad as forecast. Rained for last 75k and was very cold coming down of The Tourmalet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Curnode

Well done to all that battled through the conditions last Sunday - conditions were very bad for the last 75 km as RO 06 alluded to .
    The rain for the ascent of the Tourmalet was bad , but the cold and the misery on the descent was something else . I believe it was only around 8 degress at the top in the fog/cloud .
    I stopped into a bus shelter a quarter ways down to put on extra gear which lucklily I had brought for the wet. There were about thirty shivering helpless souls standing in the shelter trying to warm themselves. We all looked a pityful sight.
    A bit further down the descent I saw a guy rooting through a bin and pulling out a sheet of cardboard to help him block out the cold. Further down I saw two ladies being assisted by medical staff as a result of the cold.

Did anyone hang around for the party after the cycle ? Was it any good? Personally I was too tired - I just wanted to get changed and get going to hang around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

It was going great until the rain on the Tourmalet. Descent was horrendous but improved as we reached Hautacam. Not as bad as 2012 thankfully. Anyone see the chap on the Chopper ?

Thought the organisation at the finish was poor, both at the top of the Hautacam and picking up the medal at the bottom.

[QUOTE= Anyone see the chap on the Chopper ?

.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - He was a guy from England. It waa a standard Raleigh Chopper, but with eight gears - he was coming down off the Hautacam when I was still tryig to go up.........(says a lot about my cycling ability)

I agree - the end of the cycle was very poorly organized - it was mayhem at the bottom of the Hautacam everybody trying to figure out where to go - either to the party, medal collection or just to get out of the town . I gave up and didn't bother trying to collect the medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Curnode wrote: »
    I agree - the end of the cycle was very poorly organized - it was mayhem at the bottom of the Hautacam everybody trying to figure out where to go - either to the party, medal collection or just to get out of the town . I gave up and didn't bother trying to collect the medal.

There was no way I was going home without that medal after all that suffering....

Johhny - you were right to collect the medal , but I will never need the medel to remind me of the suffering - it is etched on my brain forever !!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Fair play to you all lads, will be interesting to see the stage tomorrow when the pros do it. Wonder will they also have to deal with rain and freezing temperatures-would certainly make it an interesting end to the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gr3g0ree

So, I did it in 9h 16 mins with a whopping 1.30h spent doing all kind of stuff but cycling(busted bike comp, shivering and taking pics). At the end all the shuttle busses were gone, so I picked a ride with STI back to Pau. The organization at the top of Hautacam and the finish village were poor to say the least. Picked medal and when the rain slowed down just wanted to get the hell out. Got back to the place I stayed just after 10pm!!!
    Tourmalet was a killer, too cold, and too wet. At the foodstop tried to get myself warm drinking a cup of coffe - shame they didn't had more warm drinks either coffee or tea, but couldn't, so decided getting back on the bike, hands shivering all way and trying to keep myself warm by pushing hard. On the way down legs getting cramps, more shivers of hands at 40-50Kmh but did the descent in 42mins, including 2stops to take pictures, overtaking people left, right and centre :) It was fun. The really stuff was the policemen whistling in the middle of the fog in front of a turn which I couldn't see coming, but instinctively braking.

Hautacam was brutal too, one of the 11% kilometer mark started with a short downhill section, was wondering how bad will it become later. Still overtaking people on the way up was good to keep me pushing, but lost it at the slow flat and long stops.
    There was no pasta party or anything for me, just grab the medal and out.

Half way up Tourmalet I was thinking to myself that I am not sane at all, and no way will I do this again, but I know I will be tempted again depending on the profile of the 2015 stage. There are some great Gran Fondo's to ride, so might give those a try.

Over and out.
    Kristian

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Toughest day on a bike for a long time:eek: fourth etape in a row and the weather was a huge factor on the day, nearly gave up at bottom of tourmalet with cold and uncontrolled shivering but warmed up for an hour and soldiered on to finish .Not as well organised as previous years for medals ,they used to give them to you as you crossed the finish line.Happy to have survived without any accidents and will probably do another one even tho i keep telling myself its the last time ever lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gooch134

Hello all,

I had a great time this last week in France, scaling mountains that I may never see again! I arrived in the village of Argeles Gazost on Wednesday evening where I met many of the 45 strong team of trail Seekers headed by Sean O Leary.

Wednesday 16.7.14
    I barely had time to draw breath when one hour later I was heading for the Hauticam thinking I was one of the pros. After a few wrong turns and twenty minutes later I found myself at the foot of the Hauticam. The temperatures were in the high thirties and I was begining to feel every bit of it. I attacked the climb from the begining but 2km in I was in my granny gear. No more bailouts and I was in trouble. I had to turn 5km from the top. I returned to the Hotel Soleir and dinner was a sobering experience.

Thursday 17.7.14
    The following day Thursday I had a chance to redeem myself. The Tourmalet was scaled as was Luz Ardiden. I was more comfortable today than at any stage on Hauticam. I found the Tourmalet easier to get into a rhythm than Hauticam, Hauticam has more severe ramps. The temperature was in the high thirties and there was not a cloud in the sky. This cycle was amazing and I took many photos to remind myself later. The decent off the Tourmalet was breathtaking. Back to the hotel and more rest for the next day!

Friday 18.7.14
    If Thurday was spectacular then Friday was a match in every way. The Col du Solour was tackled as was the Aubisque. The views at the top of the Aubisque were as spectacular as the day before. Another chance for photographs and the whole cycle was done in great spirit with each and everyone to their own. I attempted Hauticam on my return to the hotel and it was every bit as difficult as it was on Wednesday but I managed to make the top this time round.

A trip to Lourdes and return Saturday.

Sunday 20.7.14
    Etape du Tour 2014

Breakfast was at 4.30am in the morning. We had porridge, ham roll, tea & coffee. Our guide had drilled into us his belief that sucess today would primarily depend on one thing and one thing only, clothing. Thunderstroms and rain was forcasted for later. At the start line there was no sign of either.

I had with me a race cape, arm warmers, light overshoes, short fingered gloves, phone, pump, tube gels and 2 bars. Pockets full, off I went.

The rain started on the approach to St Marie de Campan at the foot of the Tourmalet. It was raining very heavy and I seen a lot of people get caught either putting on jackets too late or with none at all. I kept it steady up the Tourmalet. Although it was very wet it was still very warm. There was no cold yet and no wind. My legs felt a little heavy but appart from that I was comfortable.

I had planned on stopping at the food station 5km from the top but when I got there I was not hungry. I ate 2 bars that did not agree with me on the run in to the Tourmalet and my appetite was not there. I had a full water bottle so decided to continue for the time being.

It got very cold 3km from the top. Problem now was it was taking between 7-9 min a km so 3km could take 25min to complete and that was a long time if you are cold. I managed to lift it a little in an attempt to keep the cold away.

I could not see much with all the fog around and when I got to the top I just kept going. I planned on getting down as quickly as I could and stop in Luz if needs be for a tea/coffee. As I approached the bottom the temperature in the air had started to rise again. I was shaking from the cold but ok to keep going to the foot of the Hauticam where there was a food station.

I found a fast group on route to Hauticam and tucked in. I opened my race cape as it was now dry and hoped the wind would dry me a little. The scene at the foot of the Hauticam was amazing with people on both sides of the road cheering us on. I abandoned my idea for food again as i still had a few gels and a little water.

I went up the Hauticam with great care not to blow up having attempted it twice already with mixed fortunes in the days before. I found it as difficult as before and bonked 3km from the top. I had to stop, drink all my fluids, eat all my gels and I was ok again therafter.

More Info:
    Our group was 45 strong. There was a father and son in the group. The son was 17yrs of age. Both completed the etape which was extra special for them. Another person in the group had a bulging disc and spent the plane and bus journeys standing. He too finished. Others too were carrying various types of injuries and setbacks. Others were there for the craic (and we had that too).

We had done so much in the previous few days that it wouldn't have been all lost had we not completed the etape. Of the group we had only one non-finisher which was remarkable. One of our lads arrived at the start ling in sandles and was starring at the broom wagon from the off. He was saved by the bell when a spare pair of shoes and pedals were sourced for him.

This trip was such a sucess for me that the completion of the Etape itself was nearly insignificant. A few of the group would love to do it again but may not take part in the race itself. We had so much fun in the pre etape rides and we covered as much climbing in fantastic scenery that the day itself was a bit of a bore ( who would have thought I would say that).

I accept were lucky with the weather in the lead up to the event. Others could ride those climbs many times and never get to see what we say in the few days we were there. Would I do a similar trip again? Most definately. Who would I look to when I venture again?

The one and only
    Sean O Leary,
    Kerry Pike,
    Trail Seekers.

Cheers for the memories, gooch134

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

gooch134 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I had a great time this last week in France, scaling mountains that I may never see again! I arrived in the village of Argeles Gazost on Wednesday evening where I met many of the 45 strong team of trail Seekers headed by Sean O Leary.

Wednesday 16.7.14
    I barely had time to draw breath when one hour later I was heading for the Hauticam thinking I was one of the pros. After a few wrong turns and twenty minutes later I found myself at the foot of the Hauticam. The temperatures were in the high thirties and I was begining to feel every bit of it. I attacked the climb from the begining but 2km in I was in my granny gear. No more bailouts and I was in trouble. I had to turn 5km from the top. I returned to the Hotel Soleir and dinner was a sobering experience.

Thursday 17.7.14
    The following day Thursday I had a chance to redeem myself. The Tourmalet was scaled as was Luz Ardiden. I was more comfortable today than at any stage on Hauticam. I found the Tourmalet easier to get into a rhythm than Hauticam, Hauticam has more severe ramps. The temperature was in the high thirties and there was not a cloud in the sky. This cycle was amazing and I took many photos to remind myself later. The decent off the Tourmalet was breathtaking. Back to the hotel and more rest for the next day!

Friday 18.7.14
    If Thurday was spectacular then Friday was a match in every way. The Col du Solour was tackled as was the Aubisque. The views at the top of the Aubisque were as spectacular as the day before. Another chance for photographs and the whole cycle was done in great spirit with each and everyone to their own. I attempted Hauticam on my return to the hotel and it was every bit as difficult as it was on Wednesday but I managed to make the top this time round.

A trip to Lourdes and return Saturday.

Sunday 20.7.14
    Etape du Tour 2014

Breakfast was at 4.30am in the morning. We had porridge, ham roll, tea & coffee. Our guide had drilled into us his belief that sucess today would primarily depend on one thing and one thing only, clothing. Thunderstroms and rain was forcasted for later. At the start line there was no sign of either.

I had with me a race cape, arm warmers, light overshoes, short fingered gloves, phone, pump, tube gels and 2 bars. Pockets full, off I went.

The rain started on the approach to St Marie de Campan at the foot of the Tourmalet. It was raining very heavy and I seen a lot of people get caught either putting on jackets too late or with none at all. I kept it steady up the Tourmalet. Although it was very wet it was still very warm. There was no cold yet and no wind. My legs felt a little heavy but appart from that I was comfortable.

I had planned on stopping at the food station 5km from the top but when I got there I was not hungry. I ate 2 bars that did not agree with me on the run in to the Tourmalet and my appetite was not there. I had a full water bottle so decided to continue for the time being.

It got very cold 3km from the top. Problem now was it was taking between 7-9 min a km so 3km could take 25min to complete and that was a long time if you are cold. I managed to lift it a little in an attempt to keep the cold away.

I could not see much with all the fog around and when I got to the top I just kept going. I planned on getting down as quickly as I could and stop in Luz if needs be for a tea/coffee. As I approached the bottom the temperature in the air had started to rise again. I was shaking from the cold but ok to keep going to the foot of the Hauticam where there was a food station.

I found a fast group on route to Hauticam and tucked in. I opened my race cape as it was now dry and hoped the wind would dry me a little. The scene at the foot of the Hauticam was amazing with people on both sides of the road cheering us on. I abandoned my idea for food again as i still had a few gels and a little water.

I went up the Hauticam with great care not to blow up having attempted it twice already with mixed fortunes in the days before. I found it as difficult as before and bonked 3km from the top. I had to stop, drink all my fluids, eat all my gels and I was ok again therafter.

More Info:
    Our group was 45 strong. There was a father and son in the group. The son was 17yrs of age. Both completed the etape which was extra special for them. Another person in the group had a bulging disc and spent the plane and bus journeys standing. He too finished. Others too were carrying various types of injuries and setbacks. Others were there for the craic (and we had that too).

We had done so much in the previous few days that it wouldn't have been all lost had we not completed the etape. Of the group we had only one non-finisher which was remarkable. One of our lads arrived at the start ling in sandles and was starring at the broom wagon from the off. He was saved by the bell when a spare pair of shoes and pedals were sourced for him.

This trip was such a sucess for me that the completion of the Etape itself was nearly insignificant. A few of the group would love to do it again but may not take part in the race itself. We had so much fun in the pre etape rides and we covered as much climbing in fantastic scenery that the day itself was a bit of a bore ( who would have thought I would say that).

I accept were lucky with the weather in the lead up to the event. Others could ride those climbs many times and never get to see what we say in the few days we were there. Would I do a similar trip again? Most definately. Who would I look to when I venture again?

The one and only
    Sean O Leary,
    Kerry Pike,
    Trail Seekers.

Cheers for the memories, gooch134

Sounds like an amazing trip. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

123 klm in just over 3hours!!! (Col du Tormalet included) Geez...Only those who have completed the Etape can really appreciate just what it takes to do that! Pro riders are Fit!

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2014/us/live/aso/

Well done to all who completed the etape in that weather...chapeau!

• Advertisement
Advertisement