Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

etape du tour 2014 pau - hauticam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Curnode

Koobcam ,
    I spent a lot of time last month looking for accomodation in Pau and could not find anything . Bear in mind that 12,000 cyclists will be descending on Pau for 7am on the Sunday, so most will be staying in the locality the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 crkaeds

just got a reply from the organizers saying there are no parking options in Pau which i find hard to believe but anyway. They have there agenda and i have mine.

currently my plan is-

Saturday
    Drive to Pau to register.
    Then drive back to my accommodation in Lourdes (must book accommoddation yet)

Sunday
    Organise transport (taxi/bus) to take me and my bike to Pau for start)
    Hopefully finish the etape and cycle from Hautacam to accommodation.

rgs

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

crkaeds wrote: »
    just got a reply from the organizers saying there are no parking options in Pau which i find hard to believe but anyway. They have there agenda and i have mine.

currently my plan is-

Saturday
    Drive to Pau to register.
    Then drive back to my accommodation in Lourdes (must book accommoddation yet)

Sunday
    Hopefully finish the etape and cycle from Hautacam to accommodation.

rgs

I was going to do something like this when I did the etape a few years ago - also in Pau. You could try to buy transport only from one of the companies like Sportstoursinternational. Other option is to drive car and bike bag to finish the day before (shuttle busses bring you back to Pau) so you have an easy trip home. After the etape I was in no mood or condition for any kind of extended commute so bear that in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

100 days to go.

302694.jpg

Ryder quoted
    "Sunday
    Hopefully finish the etape and cycle from Hautacam to accommodation"

That is my plan too as I am staying in Lourdes on the Saturday night. Maybe a few of us can pool together to hire a minibus to take a few lads and their bikes to Pau early on the Sunday morning....

It's approx 15 km from the bottom of the Hautacam back to Lourdes on Sunday......I know it will be a loooong 15km after completing the Etape , but I'm sure we will manage it .

• Advertisement

Curnode wrote: »
    Ryder quoted
    "Sunday
    Hopefully finish the etape and cycle from Hautacam to accommodation"

That is my plan too as I am staying in Lourdes on the Saturday night. Maybe a few of us can pool together to hire a minibus to take a few lads and their bikes to Pau early on the Sunday morning....

It's approx 15 km from the bottom of the Hautacam back to Lourdes on Sunday......I know it will be a loooong 15km after completing the Etape , but I'm sure we will manage it .

I might be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 12 peachyb

Alberto Contador rode the Pyrenean stages last week. He said Hautacam was "really hard".
    pyreneescyclingtravel.com/photos-news-blog/pro-riders/alberto-contador-hautacam

Alberto-Contador-Hautacam-May-2014-3.jpg

Alberto-Contador-Hautacam-May-2014-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Is anyone staying on after the Etape for the tour? Any thoughts on viewing locations either for the Tuesday stage Carcassonne > Bagnères-de-Luchon or Wednesdays Saint-Gaudens > Saint-Lary Pla d’Adet?

TRANSPORT FROM LOURDES TO PAU ON THE MORNING OF THE ETAPE

Has anyone any suggestions re transport early on Sunday from Lourdes to the Etape start in Pau ??

Is anyone interested in sharing a minibus or taxi ? There might be two interested at this stage . If there are a few more the group could organize a minibus.

• Advertisement

We are staying near Lourdes and plan to catch Tuesdays stage - would love to hear suggestions. Was told cycling is not an option - have to scale 3 cols to get there.
    Have rented a 7 seater IVECO DAILY van from Thursday Wed for €375 from Europcar BIARRITZ *VANS* which is near the airport. Only catch is 600km limit then €1 per quarter km. Some of us bringing bikes - some renting.

Enterprise through Expedia also very reasonable for SUVs from Biarritz Airport - Renault Espace for €350 for same days.

Biarritz to Lourdes 160km. Lourdes to Pau 40km.
    After party in Lourdes - one us can cycle to Pau the next day to pick up the van.

peachyb wrote: »
    We are staying near Lourdes and plan to catch Tuesdays stage - would love to hear suggestions. Was told cycling is not an option - have to scale 3 cols to get there.
    Have rented a 7 seater IVECO DAILY van from Thursday Wed for €375 from Europcar BIARRITZ *VANS* which is near the airport. Only catch is 600km limit then €1 per quarter km. Some of us bringing bikes - some renting.

Enterprise through Expedia also very reasonable for SUVs from Biarritz Airport - Renault Espace for €350 for same days.

Biarritz to Lourdes 160km. Lourdes to Pau 40km.
    After party in Lourdes - one us can cycle to Pau the next day to pick up the van.
    From Lourdes this would be the shortest way to get on to stage 16 route.
    http://www.strava.com/routes/417186
    That would leave you under you 600km for the trip. Or you could just man up and ride there and back :-)

Is anyone staying on after the Etape for the tour? Any thoughts on viewing locations either for the Tuesday stage Carcassonne > Bagnères-de-Luchon or Wednesdays Saint-Gaudens > Saint-Lary Pla d’Adet?
    Stage 16 go to Port de Balés.
    Stage 17 go on the climb to Pla d'Adet 3 or 4 km from the top.
    Stage 18. Hautacam. 3km from the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rothar_man

3 of us travelling over for the Etape in a months time. organised this back in November so have accom in Pau. Renting a car and driving down from Bordeaux on the Thursday before.

Just reading you need a Medical Cert to register, are they serious on this? To get one, i take it i need to go and spend another €60 with a GP?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Yes on both counts :eek: they will check it at registration ,need photo id as well

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Doc07

rothar_man wrote: »
    3 of us travelling over for the Etape in a months time. organised this back in November so have accom in Pau. Renting a car and driving down from Bordeaux on the Thursday before.

Just reading you need a Medical Cert to register, are they serious on this? To get one, i take it i need to go and spend another €60 with a GP?

cheers

If you're doing the Tour De Burren as a warm up bring the form this saturday, find me at the start line and I'll fill it out for you for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Lads due to my holidays being refused from work I can't get enough days off to go over for this....probably a good thing as my training has been nearly non existent! :o

If anyone needs an entry and knows how to transfer it they're welcome to it so PM me, I'd prefer if it was going to a boardsie or friend of a boardsie so no point signing up an account to get it (happened when I offered a WW200 entry here a few years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

cheers

Yes, the medical cert is required. I think it used to be the case that you could get in if you had a racing license, but AFAIK that's not the case. I did the Etape last year and actually the medical certificate is really just a simple form that you need to download from the Etape website and get signed by a doctor-it basically says something like 'I see no reason to exclude this person from cycling competition', and the doctor, by signing, agrees to this. I happened to be seeing a doctor anyway to follow up with injuries sustained in a cycling accident, so he was happy to sign the form-he saw no reason why I couldn't compete in a cycling event (which is kind of funny if you think about the fact that I was covered in bandages and missing most of the skin from the right side of my body...). Anyway, it should be easy enough to get the form signed, and if you have a decent local GP, probably for a lot less than the normal €50-60 consultation fee

Thx for the update lads.....Doc, i wont be at Tour De Burren this weekend unfortunately but i've a friend whos a Hospital doc who might do me a favor.

I dropped it into the doctors reception and said I would collect it later in the day. I told receptionist that I was not sick and didn't need to see a doctor and waste his/her time and my money. Collected it later that afternoon at no charge. You gotta be abit pushy with them to get what you want

• Advertisement

thx, appreciate the advise....probably should be worrying about my climbing ability more than this, but looking forward to the last few weeks training now.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I have an entry for this that I won't now be using-anyone interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gr3g0ree

Koobcam wrote: »
    I have an entry for this that I won't now be using-anyone interested?

??? Didn't manage to find any accommodation?

Interesting 3D views and breakdowns of the Tourmalet and Hautacam: Google team sky TOUR DE FRANCE: THE CLIMBS
    A unique look at the race's toughest uphill tests
    Last updated: 2nd July 2014
    Sorry can't post links.

thx, nice views and info there.....i m starting to **** it now. i never been up a climb that long !!

btw one of my mate's cant make it so entry up for use if anyone has a last minute idea to go over.

Nice visual / scary yellow snake on YouTube by A.S.O. Challenges - Le Parcours - L'Etape du Tour 2014 - Pau / Hautacam

BTW re. afters: From the official website: Pasta party that usually took place the day before the event is deleted. Indeed, in response to your requests, this service will take place at the finish.
    Hot and salty snacks will be served after the event, on the ‘Finish Village’ at Lau-Balagnas.

How's everyone set? Forecast seems like it could be a typical Irish summers day, cloudy and a few showers.

****ting it....just going to try and be as fresh as possible on the day and dig deep. Not sure on what to wear, but according to your predictions its could be cold and wet in patches so prob going with a light jacket/jillet and some arm warmers.....

****ting it....just going to try and be as fresh as possible on the day and dig deep. Not sure on what to wear, but according to your predictions its could be cold and wet in patches so prob going with a light jacket/jillet and some arm warmers.....
    Yeah, bringing a light jacket, bandana and arm warmers, not too bothered about the legs/feet (at the moment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Thinking about entering this next year, what's the type of average speed people need to avoid the broom wagon? What would the equivilent on the Wicklow 200?

Advertisement