Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

etape du tour 2014 pau - hauticam

Options
  • 19-11-2013 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello everyone. Four friends and I are interested in cycling this great event. We have all registered online and have been accepted. Now the hard part.

None of us have ever done this before. Thinking of staying in hauticam for duration of trip. Has anyone stayed there before? Where else would be a good alternative place to stay? Would like to stay close to pyrenees.

Flights. Where is the easiest cheapest place to fly into? Toulouse , biarritz. I know this has been done before as etape regularly start in pau and take in pyrenees.

Bike rental. We will all need to rent road bikes. What options available? I have googled rent a bike in france and the major players are already booked out for this event. I have tried the irish site bike touring but they have decided against etape 2014. I don't know of any other irish based groups whom accommodate the event.

We are all based in kerry and cork. Any one with ideas on how to best proceed with our cycle much appreciated. Is there an irish etape group that gets together for an event like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

Hi Gooch
    I rode the Pau-Hautacam etape back in 2008. We stayed in a hotel in Argeles-Gazost, a nice village, which isn't too far from Hautacam. A coach was provided to get us from Argeles-Gazost to Pau for the start.
    If you arrive a couple of days before the etape, then you can do a few good rides up super cols such as Luz-Ardiden, the Tourmalet, the Col du Soulor.
    I travelled with Onyourbike.ie, who were fantastic. I wasn't a member of a club then, and that would be the biggest piece of advice I'd give you - join a club! You will steadily increase distance, speed, and technique.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gooch134

Thanks for your reply.

Onyourbike.ie not interested this year. I have taken your point about arriving early and sampling few of the iconic cols on board. I will also check out your town for accomodation availabilty.

Did onyourbike.ie take care of your bike or did you rent locally? Is there another tour operator that may be able to get our bikes out from Ireland if all else fails? We are hoping to rent locally but need to act fast as bike rentals are already being booked.

Were you able to descend hauticam to your accomodation after you completed the climb or was there another way down the mountain? I assume you are not aloowed descend when others are climbing up. I suspect the Broom wagon might not be too far away so that may not be an issue. I suspect we will not be able to cycle far after completing the course.

Cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

Onyourbike brought our bikes to and from France and I rode my own bike on the etape. I am not sure of options for rentals, but I know there are a few top bike shops in / near Argeles-Gazost. We stayed in Les Cimes hotel, which was ok, and they were very accomodating re bikes and gear.
    Another option might be here:
    http://www.pyreneescyclinglodge.com/
    I believe velopeloton (of this parish) is linked to this lodge, which would be perfect for returning from the Hautacam.
    When we finished at the Hautacam, we were free to cycle down the mountain - so the route to the summit was a two way road. It was cold and wet by the time I finished (not too far in front of the broomwagon!), so make sure you are prepared for all conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

gooch134 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Four friends and I are interested in cycling this great event. We have all registered online and have been accepted. Now the hard part.

None of us have ever done this before. Thinking of staying in hauticam for duration of trip. Has anyone stayed there before? Where else would be a good alternative place to stay? Would like to stay close to pyrenees.

Flights. Where is the easiest cheapest place to fly into? Toulouse , biarritz. I know this has been done before as etape regularly start in pau and take in pyrenees.

Bike rental. We will all need to rent road bikes. What options available? I have googled rent a bike in france and the major players are already booked out for this event. I have tried the irish site bike touring but they have decided against etape 2014. I don't know of any other irish based groups whom accommodate the event.

We are all based in kerry and cork. Any one with ideas on how to best proceed with our cycle much appreciated. Is there an irish etape group that gets together for an event like this?

I think Lourdes is fairly near to the Hautacam climb, might be an option to stay in also. For flights, there's Bayonne and Toulouse as you mentioned, also I think Carpentras. Personally, I reckon you would be better off taking your own bike-I'm assuming you have your own bike at this stage since you'd need to put in a fair few miles to be able to get up the Tourmalet. I also signed up for the Etape so I'd be interested also to find out about decent places to stay. Last year, I also did the Etape. I arrived a week beforehand, though as I was flying from China, I had jet lag to content with also. It was definitely useful though to have done some of the climbs before the actual race, though you also probably would not want to be killing yourself with climbing the week of the event. Also, would be interested in keeping in touch with you and any other lads who are doing the Etape, just to compare notes on training and maybe share some info on flights, hotels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

montac wrote: »
    Onyourbike brought our bikes to and from France and I rode my own bike on the etape. I am not sure of options for rentals, but I know there are a few top bike shops in / near Argeles-Gazost. We stayed in Les Cimes hotel, which was ok, and they were very accomodating re bikes and gear.
    Another option might be here:
    http://www.pyreneescyclinglodge.com/
    I believe velopeloton (of this parish) is linked to this lodge, which would be perfect for returning from the Hautacam.
    When we finished at the Hautacam, we were free to cycle down the mountain - so the route to the summit was a two way road. It was cold and wet by the time I finished (not too far in front of the broomwagon!), so make sure you are prepared for all conditions!

We are fully booked that week, have been for months.

I would forget about renting. Take you own bikes, it is by far the best solution. All bike rental is probably gone by now anyway. Try www.ardidenvelos.com they speak English.

You could send them with shipmytribike.com they are really good, I highly recomend them.

Again I would say that all the hotels in Argeles are probably full by now. You should look for a hotel in Lourdes, it will be downhill after the finish. For the start ride to Pau or arrange a taxi. It is 41km approx and is flat so should not be too much of a problem if riding in a group, a good warm up, there will be lots of riders doing it. You will need to go to Pau the day before to sign on so you will know how long it will take. From Lourdes take D937 rather than D940, nicer road and a lot less traffic.

It's an easy route next year, 145km with 3600m of climbing. Hardly a challenge at all :D

• Advertisement

Thanks koobcam & velopeloton, some good info.

I have been looking at Lourdes and Pau and both places are geographically sound. I was trying to be a little more optimistic and find something in the heart of the pyrenees. If I fail to find something close to hauticam then I will look at Lourdes as next best option.

The thought of bringing my bike on a plane with me is just too off putting at moment. I will get in touch with shipmytribike.com if bike rental fails. I have a compact 50/34 and 11/25 casette. All my other mates have similar gear ratios. Assuming I do not want to change to a triple what casette will see me to the finish. Collected one on wiggle last week 12/32 for 16 euro, impulse buy, doubt I will ever use it. I dont want to change the rear derrailer to a long cage. What is the max allowable number of teeth a short cage derailer can handle. I believe it is somewhere around the 30 tooth mark. I would like to know from koobcam what gear ratios you choose for last years etape and what ones you will choose for this years.

As for the 40km warm up, that sounds interesting. Must now work on the lads. Any thoughts on driving over for the event. I may have my wife and 2 1/2 year old child with me so the thought of driving a few days to get there could spell disaster. I may have to fly anyway but the other lads could drive over but would like to know how long it takes from rosslare limiting stops to a minimun.

Thanks again

I have been looking at Lourdes and Pau and both places are geographically sound. I was trying to be a little more optimistic and find something in the heart of the pyrenees. If I fail to find something close to hauticam then I will look at Lourdes as next best option.

The thought of bringing my bike on a plane with me is just too off putting at moment. I will get in touch with shipmytribike.com if bike rental fails. I have a compact 50/34 and 11/25 casette. All my other mates have similar gear ratios. Assuming I do not want to change to a triple what casette will see me to the finish. Collected one on wiggle last week 12/32 for 16 euro, impulse buy, doubt I will ever use it. I dont want to change the rear derrailer to a long cage. What is the max allowable number of teeth a short cage derailer can handle. I believe it is somewhere around the 30 tooth mark. I would like to know from koobcam what gear ratios you choose for last years etape and what ones you will choose for this years.

As for the 40km warm up, that sounds interesting. Must now work on the lads. Any thoughts on driving over for the event. I may have my wife and 2 1/2 year old child with me so the thought of driving a few days to get there could spell disaster. I may have to fly anyway but the other lads could drive over but would like to know how long it takes from rosslare limiting stops to a minimun.

Thanks again

I don't know about gearing, it depends how fit you are, what weight, etc.

Hautacam is 25km from the centre of Lourdes.

I said Lourdes to Pau was flat, it's actually downhill, you'll lose over 200m.

Cherbourg is approx 1000 km from Lourdes, 11 to 12 hours.

Thanks again
    Gear ratio needed depends on how fit you are, your experience with long steep climbs. Personally, I go for a 50/34, with a 12-29 cassette (campag). It's no harm to have an emergency bailout gear. I believe Campagnolo short cage 11-speed derailleurs can take up to 29 teeth, for shimano & SRAM short cages, it's a max of 28, but they also have long cages which allow you to use mountain bike-style gears. From what I can tell, the Tourmalet will be something like climbing the Shay Elliot five or six times in succession without any respite, then a 30-40km descent and more of the same at Hautacam-well maybe only 4 or 5 Shay Elliotts this time. On the Etape earlier this year, the climbs were different, lots of short ones at the start, a long steady one and then a brutal last 10km at about 9%.-I needed my 29 for that. The other thing is that if you have a high number, it will mean lots of other people riding down Hautacam while you are climbing it, which will basically lead to a traffic jam, so you might also just need a low gear for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

We stayed in this place in September. At the foot of the Hautacam.

http://www.sunelia.com/en/espace_sunelia/france/hautes-pyrenees/fiche-camping/les-trois-vallees-48

I'd really recommend bringing your own bike. I've rented carbon bikes in the past, and if the sizing is off, you'll really feel it on something like the Etape. The day will be hard enough, I can't imagine doing it on a loaner.

For gearing, I had 34/25 for the trip, and we did both sides of the Tourmalet and the Hautacam. Apart from short sections, I wasn't desperately looking for a lower gear, but obviously that depends on fitness.

We flew into Barca (from Cork) - give 6/7 hours to get to Argeles. Carcassone is an option during the summer, but you'll need to be straight on it when Ryanair release their schedules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kemow

Get in touch with trail-seekers.com sean o leary is the man to talk to he is based in cork and will sort everything out for you tell him paddy put you on to him i have been away a few times with him on etape trips and they are always very good we did this course a couple of years ago with sean and stayed in argeles gazost it is right in the middle of all the famous climbs in the pyrenees sean has a trip going this year so get in contact with him

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Shipmytribike are €185. Collect in Pau on thurs and leave to them on Monday.
    Planning on flying out on fri and return on wed. Hoping to see tour on tues. Have looked at a few packages but haven't decided which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

kemow wrote: »
    Get in touch with trail-seekers.com sean o leary is the man to talk to he is based in cork and will sort everything out for you tell him paddy put you on to him i have been away a few times with him on etape trips and they are always very good we did this course a couple of years ago with sean and stayed in argeles gazost it is right in the middle of all the famous climbs in the pyrenees sean has a trip going this year so get in contact with him

I've sent off an email to him.
    Think I'm mad but we'll see:D

Thanks for advice & info. Been in contact with trail seekers by phone this morning. He will email me packages. Sounds great but we boys are on a budget so haven't committed to anything yet. We are giving serious consideration to driving over with bikes on board. We think we will be able to get there and back for 1000 euro. Divided by 4 means 250 each. We can alk drive and have access to a 4 x 4 jeep. Would one jeep be enough for 4 of us. Thoughts on driving over welcome preferably from those who have driven over to this before. Keep you posted and thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Thanks for advice & info. Been in contact with trail seekers by phone this morning. He will email me packages. Sounds great but we boys are on a budget so haven't committed to anything yet. We are giving serious consideration to driving over with bikes on board. We think we will be able to get there and back for 1000 euro. Divided by 4 means 250 each. We can alk drive and have access to a 4 x 4 jeep. Would one jeep be enough for 4 of us. Thoughts on driving over welcome preferably from those who have driven over to this before. Keep you posted and thanks again all.
    Drove over in 2011 to the Alps through the UK as I went on my own and cost of ferry direct to France was excessive. It was long! Driving many hours down dull motorway was tough going, it only got interesting once I got to the Alps. It took me 2 1/2 days to make it to my hotel from Cork.
    But it's about 1000km from Cherbourg so very doable, and if you've more than one driver even better. And with Lourdes so close to start and finish it's possible to do it on the cheap. Trying to work out costs at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I would be very surprised if you did a driving trip like that for under a grand.
    Motorway tolls alone in France would prob cost about €100.
    A loaded 4x4 would be an animal on juice for that distance.

bcmf wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if you did a driving trip like that for under a grand.
    Motorway tolls alone in France would prob cost about €100.
    A loaded 4x4 would be an animal on juice for that distance.

Last year I flew to Geneva and rented a car there. Agree with the post about the cost of tolls - €7.50 to drive the 40 or so km from Geneva to Annecy! It was great though cruising around the alps in a BMW and actually it's also a good way to look over the course without killing yourself cycling it in the days before the race. For next year in Pau, I will probably do something similar-no way my crappy little renault clio would survive the trip to the south of France. If you do the fly-car rental option and bring your own bike, you also would need to think about where to stash your bike case-I found a great B&B in Geneva who agreed to hold on to it for a couple of weeks while I drove around. Personally, I would not be too keen on driving 1000+km in France, though with 4 of you maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Be prepared for lots of roundabouts, speed traps, expensive tolls and bad drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I wouldn't dream of driving. But a value on your time; 2 days wasted.
    I've done over 180km in a day on different rented bikes, once your measurements are good it's like cycling your own bike.

A little taste for you. This corner is 4km from the finish, 15%. Photo taken about 16:00 this afternoon, it was -4c.

10968230476_946215d420_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bespoke

Hi Gooch,
    I am part of a group that is heading to Pau for the start of the Etape, and then we are transferring to the heart of the Pyrennees for an extra few days to spectate a couple of stages of the Tour. We have pre-booked airport transfers, accommodation and bike hire. We are currently looking into transporting our own bikes over, which we hope to be able to do for a similar cost to local bike hire. At the moment we have some empty spaces in the group, and plenty of Etape experience, so if you wish to send me a pm I can send you and your group the relevant info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

A little taste for you. This corner is 4km from the finish, 15%. Photo taken about 16:00 this afternoon, it was -4c.

10968230476_946215d420_b.jpg

"ringaringaringaring" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CHIPPY1979

Know I late coming to this thread, but 16 of us did it the year before last and we shipped our own bikes by DHL. Excellent service and well worth looking into

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nigelhic

Flying into Bilbao from Dublin and hiring a car, 2 hr drive to Pau. Taking bike with Aer Lingus. Staying in Lourdes, good choice of accommodation
    and only 10 km ride to Argeles Gazost where the climbing starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CHIPPY1979

nigelhic wrote: »
    Flying into Bilbao from Dublin and hiring a car, 2 hr drive to Pau.

This is exactly what we did but it is longer than a 2 hour drive. More so 3.5 hrs. Car hire in Spain www.doyouspain.com I think, very reasonable, but let them know you are going over the border to France. HIre a people carrier IMO. Lots of room for bikes and luggage

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

CHIPPY1979 wrote: »
    nigelhic wrote: »
    Flying into Bilbao from Dublin and hiring a car, 2 hr drive to Pau.

This is exactly what we did but it is longer than a 2 hour drive. More so 3.5 hrs. Car hire in Spain www.doyouspain.com I think, very reasonable, but let them know you are going over the border to France. HIre a people carrier IMO. Lots of room for bikes and luggage
    How are you getting back from finish to Pau?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sjhrunner

I think driving is very do-able.
    Only issue is having expensive bikes on the back of the jeep if you are staying overnight somewhere.
    We have one expensive bike and 2 crappy bikes on our car and we have got away with it.

My friends who have done the etape every year for the last five years always camp (in their tent)
    Last year one issue with Irish guys bringing their own bike, was the guys inability to put the bikes back together on arrival.
    If flying your bike over in a bike box, make sure you know how to reassemble it properly.

The other issue is that if you are in the latter half of the pack the food/drink stops can be crowded even have run out.
    Ideally have a refuelling back up plan if the food stops let you down.

It gets very crowded in the slow end of the etape, you might have to push your bike up the climb just because there is no room to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

Anyone know roughly how much to dhl bike to France and back. Will be on 2.5 weeks hols there pre-etape and would like to do some training . South of france

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Just as a netter of interest, what type of experience would you need to have regarding avg speed/race experience to do this event.? It's in my list for 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Just as a netter of interest, what type of experience would you need to have regarding avg speed/race experience to do this event.? It's in my list for 2015.

I did the étape in 2012. I suppose we had 6 months of training seriously. Depends what level of fitness you're coming from, but my own opinion would be min 6 months to prepare

• Advertisement

lizzylad84 wrote: »

That's different every year. This year is easy at only 145km with 3600m climbing. The last one in the Pyrénées two years ago was very different 200km with 4800m climbing.

No race experience necessary unless you want to finish in the first 500 or so. The broom wagon travels at approx 18kph so that's the minimum speed you need to do. If it's very hot that can be very hard to maintain. For this year I expect the first riders to finish in about 4:45. The roads in Argeles at the bottom of Hautacam are due to reopen at 15:00 so the cutoff is 8 hours to there with 14.5km to go. I hope to do it in under 6.

Basically spend as many hours on the bike as you can and do as many rides of 100km or more as you can. Then wait and see what the route is in October and then focus your training on that. If you could ride 100km in 4 hours you would easily manage this years etape.

Advertisement