Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnobirthing - anyone tried it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pachamammy

January wrote: »
    Yes but to learn these active birth techniques and hypnosis you have to pay for the CD's etc.

Yep - if they provided them in the hospital, you wouldn't, though. Actually, the hospital physio class runs through active birth techniques. There are loads of videos on youtube also. The acupressure booklet for birth is a free download. Most of the information is in the public domain.

As regards the CDs, the person who created the programme deserves to be paid for them, in the same way as anyone making any sort of CD would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

the46gang wrote: »

Sure read the papers at the moment. It said there recently that cesarean rates were only around 15% in the early 1990s. Now they are 30%. And for first time mothers 40% in some hospitals. What going on here ? Why have they doubled ? .

Holles street current cesarean rate is about 20% I believe. And although I agree current rates are high.... A lot of this is to do with the elective Caesarians and other cases, not actual emergency cases. I believe actual emergency Caesarian rates are quite a bit lower so uve not been given informed specific statistics there.

Genuine question... Did u attend the hospital antenatal classes? Maybe u did.. In which case you should have received loads of info there aswell. All we are saying here is that there are loads of options...

It's great that this worked for you and your wife tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

the46gang wrote: »

Sure read the papers at the moment. It said there recently that cesarean rates were only around 15% in the early 1990s. Now they are 30%. And for first time mothers 40% in some hospitals. What going on here ? Why have they doubled ? Dont believe the hopital spin.

Ah, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. Some things to consider:
    - The average age for women to have their first baby is later than it was in the 90's
    - Incidences of multiple births has increased due to more accessible fertility treatments

Both of these things would affect the statistics for cesarean sections.

I would also be interested to see if infant mortality has decreased in this time, as I suspect it has

I totally agree with pwurple that sometimes it can seem as if those advocating 'alternative' birthing methods are insinuating a secret conspiracy to hide options from women. I would advise against being totally mesmerized by any particular practitioners because let's face it, they all have an agenda. Of course GB practitioners believe that the information they provide and the methods they advocate are better. They are hardly likely to be offering them to people if they didn't believe in the methods. But that is not to say that there isn't an agenda there, and some tutors may be more biased than others and inadvertently influence you in exactly the same persuasive calm manner you accuse more traditional practitioners of. Likewise some consultants are very set km their ways and you need to push them on their reasons for things and if unhappy get a second opinion or firmly request an alternative.

It's a very emotive subject so difficult for people to remain objective about. But we should all be cautious and discriminating of *all* practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Ah, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. Some things to consider:
    - The average age for women to have their first baby is later than it was in the 90's
    - Incidences of multiple births has increased due to more accessible fertility treatments

Both of these things would affect the statistics for cesarean sections.

I would also be interested to see if infant mortality has decreased in this time, as I suspect it has

Change in physician behaviour is an important factor in the increase in caesarean section rates in Ireland. During the Summer several units had emergency csection rates of 50% for first time mothers. A mother is 3 times more likely to have an emergency (not planned) caesaeran section on a Monday compared to a Saturday (as documented in the latest ESRI report) This government report is quite interesting reading and takes into account mothers age etc.

http://www.esri.ie/publications/search_esri_research_bulletins/search_results/view/index.xml?id=2822

January I wasn't suggesting giving medical advice but having a 'sticky' as another poster mentioned where information could be available such as the link to bump2babe.ie might be helpful so couples can access a wide variety of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

SanFran07 wrote: »
    Change in physician behaviour is an important factor in the increase in caesarean section rates in Ireland. During the Summer several units had emergency csection rates of 50% for first time mothers. A mother is 3 times more likely to have an emergency (not planned) caesaeran section on a Monday compared to a Saturday (as documented in the latest ESRI report) This government report is quite interesting reading and takes into account mothers age etc.

http://www.esri.ie/publications/search_esri_research_bulletins/search_results/view/index.xml?id=2822

January I wasn't suggesting giving medical advice but having a 'sticky' as another poster mentioned where information could be available such as the link to bump2babe.ie might be helpful so couples can access a wide variety of information.

There is a link to the bump2babe site in the helpful sites thread stickied at the top of the page.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll have a read of that when I can. I'm in hospital at the moment so only accessing by phone.

It will be interesting to read, but I would wonder how much influence the other factors mentioned such as women having the ability to opt for an elective section, access to private hospital care etc have to the results. Quite a lot I would imagine.

I recently read the book 'an everyday miracle' by Jim Dornan. He makes reference in it that the skill of delivering a breech baby vaginally is waning due to the increased skills in performing cesareans. But he doesn't necessarily think this is a bad thing as the mortality rates support cesarean sections as the preferred mode of delivery.

Just because something is medical doesn't make it bad. And not all women who opt for elective sections are brainwashed into it or go into it blindly or for vanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pachamammy

Of course GB practitioners believe that the information they provide and the methods they advocate are better. They are hardly likely to be offering them to people if they didn't believe in the methods. But that is not to say that there isn't an agenda there.

Yep, you're right, I do believe passionately that GentleBirth works, having used it myself. Of course I have an agenda - I want women to have good memories of their births. Sadly, that's not the case a lot of the time. It's actually been great to hear positive stories here - we don't hear them enough and I really hope those of you who have had a good experience share that.

I would much rather hear of someone having a positive caesarean section than suffering through a birth with no pain relief. Who wouldn't? GentleBirth is not about one type of birth but taking fear out of the equation and providing tools to alleviate pain and to make decisions on the day. It's about a positive birth, not a particular type of birth. Anyway, wishing the OP a great birth!!

Thanks, I'll have a read of that when I can. I'm in hospital at the moment so only accessing by phone.

It will be interesting to read, but I would wonder how much influence the other factors mentioned such as women having the ability to opt for an elective section, access to private hospital care etc have to the results. Quite a lot I would imagine.

I recently read the book 'an everyday miracle' by Jim Dornan. He makes reference in it that the skill of delivering a breech baby vaginally is waning due to the increased skills in performing cesareans. But he doesn't necessarily think this is a bad thing as the mortality rates support cesarean sections as the preferred mode of delivery.

Just because something is medical doesn't make it bad. And not all women who opt for elective sections are brainwashed into it or go into it blindly or for vanity.

Sorry to hear you're in hospital.

As other posters have said I'm very glad that we live in a country where medical care is easily accessible for mothers and babies. Maternal choice should be facilitated as much as possible. Medical practices that are unnecessary is the issue here. There are no national obstetric guidelines in Ireland for vaginal birth and policies differ depending on what part of the country you live in - this came up in the recent HIQA/Savita enquiry so it's not about being anti-medical it's about the judicious use of medical interventions rather than their routine use.

Totally OT but obstetric practice changed overnight after the publication of the Term Breech Trial. The TBT recommendations were based on a flawed study. If you're in the mood for some more 'light' reading this is an interesting paper.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1523-536X.2011.00507.x/pdf

Private care is associated with an increase in caesareans without improving outcomes while increasing the strain on already overstretched understaffed maternity services.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/more-caesareans-with-private-care-29783734.html

Pachamammy wrote: »
    Yep, you're right, I do believe passionately that GentleBirth works, having used it myself. Of course I have an agenda - I want women to have good memories of their births. Sadly, that's not the case a lot of the time. It's actually been great to hear positive stories here - we don't hear them enough and I really hope those of you who have had a good experience share that.

I would much rather hear of someone having a positive caesarean section than suffering through a birth with no pain relief. Who wouldn't? GentleBirth is not about one type of birth but taking fear out of the equation and providing tools to alleviate pain and to make decisions on the day. It's about a positive birth, not a particular type of birth. Anyway, wishing the OP a great birth!!

Oh, you should have an agenda and feel passionately about it. It would be terrible if you didn't, and would mean you are only cynically doing it to make money. So of course you have and should have a passion nor what you advocate. I was just pointing out that it would be naive to think otherwise and it is important to seek out information from as many sources as possible and be critical and questioning of all of them until you come to a conclusion about what you are comfortable with.

Having said all that, some women *want* to hand over all decisions to medical professionals, are more comfortable staying a bit ignorant to the alternatives and feel less overwhelmed by doing so. And that is equally fine, so long as it's what they want and they have a competent and cooperative medial team looking after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Pachamammy wrote: »

I have heard great things about hypnobirthing from a girl in work and kindly offered to do a few sessions with me. She had a home birth with her last child and is now a doula. We am only starting antenatal classes tomorrow night as we are doing the domino scheme in holles street they are run over 2 nights and free and I was told attendance is compulsory! Very excited as they are meant to be great :) I think it is terrible though that the ordinary evening classes in holles street are €80 and over 6 nights (from what I remember!).

• Advertisement

Private care is associated with an increase in caesareans without improving outcomes while increasing the strain on already overstretched understaffed maternity services.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/more-caesareans-with-private-care-29783734.html
    Oh I would accept that private care rather than shifting strain away from services actually increases it. Possibly due to the nature of how consultants operate between both public and private hospitals, although I don't know enough about it to have a proper discussion on the subject. I was just wondering if the increased choice of private care (and by extension the option to in effect insist on an elective section) would be a factor in the statistics, and you confirm that it is. The rights and wrongs of it are a whole other discussion. But my comment was just me pondering possible reasons for increased sections other than preference of the OB/GYN.

Millem wrote: »
    I think it is terrible though that the ordinary evening classes in holles street are €80 and over 6 nights (from what I remember!).

Yup they're the ones we got in the evening over 6 weeks. Got them so OH could come aswell. But they do have antenatal classes during the afternoons which you can opt for and these are free. I just wanted OH to come which is why we paid for the evening classes.

Goodluck and don't be afraid to ask loads of questions no matter how 'silly' you may feel... All questions are really valid and chances are loadsa people are thinking of asking the same question anyway! The domino scheme on Holles Street is meant to be lovely!

Oh I would accept that private care rather than shifting strain away from services actually increases it. Possibly due to the nature of how consultants operate between both public and private hospitals, although I don't know enough about it to have a proper discussion on the subject. I was just wondering if the increased choice of private care (and by extension the option to in effect insist on an elective section) would be a factor in the statistics, and you confirm that it is. The rights and wrongs of it are a whole other discussion. But my comment was just me pondering possible reasons for increased sections other than preference of the OB/GYN.

Its a fact that Elective casereans have increased hospital caserean rates. Also the points you mentioned earlier would have some impact but I'm not sure of those exact statistics. Aswell as a few other factors eg... People are generally bigger these days leading to bigger babies etc etc. some women are able for these labours... Spanish woman pushed a 13lb baby earlier this year! Lol... But a lot of people would chose not... Lol... And I can see why!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yup they're the ones we got in the evening over 6 weeks. Got them so OH could come aswell. But they do have antenatal classes during the afternoons which you can opt for and these are free. I just wanted OH to come which is why we paid for the evening classes.

Goodluck and don't be afraid to ask loads of questions no matter how 'silly' you may feel... All questions are really valid and chances are loadsa people are thinking of asking the same question anyway! The domino scheme on Holles Street is meant to be lovely!

The domino scheme is AMAZING!! Love love love them :) their delivery room is also meant to be fab but sure all will be revealed tomorrow!! They are all so nice and you get loads of visits as they want you to meet all the team. They are coming to my house 3 weeks before due date and I think they go over everything again. I can't believe the whole service is free!! The only bad thing is it is sooooo hard to get a spot on it I was on a waiting list for it since 6 weeks preggers (supposedly I should of rang them at 4 weeks to get a spot!) If we didn't get domino classes we were just going to pay for a full day weekend one as the stress of going in there over 6 nights! I also doubt my OH would of been able to go to day ones with work so we are so happy that we got domino ones! They start at 6.30 I think the normal evening ones start earlier so even at that he would of have to leave work early!

The hospitals seem to be taking notice of the hypno mums. I'll be speaking to staff from the 3 Dublin hospitals next month about the use of hypnosis to 'normalise' birth in Irish hospitals. In the UK several hospitals offer free hypnosis for birth classes as an alternative to their regular antenatal classes. It would be great if we could get one unit here in Ireland to pilot a similar scheme in the future.

Advertisement