Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Smiley's People the follow up to "Tinker Tailor..." starts at 10 PM tonight
    Former British intelligence officer George Smiley is called out of retirement to investigate the death of an agent who used to be one of his sources. Thriller sequel to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, adapted from John le Carre's novel, and starring Alec Guinness. First broadcast in 1982

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Spiral is back next week.

Bumping this. Spiral, season 5, starts at 21.00 tonight.

Been looking forward to this for a bit and am keen to find out what Laure, Pierre, Gilou et al. have been up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

lockman wrote: »
    Bumping this. Spiral, season 5, starts at 21.00 tonight.

Been looking forward to this for a bit and am keen to find out what Laure, Pierre, Gilou et al. have been up to.

It's going to bit weird in the light of the reality of what Le Flic have had to face this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭brian_t

For anyone who enjoyed last Thursdays film Headhunters from the novel by Joe Nesbo.

Jackpot is on tomorrow (Wednesday) at 10pm

The new comedy Asylum starts next Monday at 9.00 pm followed by the second series of Bob Servant Independent.
    Satirical comedy in which a whistleblower and an internet pirate are trapped together under the threat of extradition in the London embassy of a fictional Latin American country.
    After a year in the El Rican embassy Dan is bored, depressed and has no hope of getting out - his only chance is to push his case in an interview with the Guardian.
    The embassy staff are struggling to attract people to the annual embassy ball, as Dan is old news and nobody wants to come.
    Rafael decides to offer sanctuary to another international fugitive, a childlike, internet pirate called Ludo Backslash.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to that.

Smilies People has been a terrific watch, so little "happens" so slowly and yet its completely absorbing

bump for this (can't recall if I've seen Bob Servant already on BBC Scotland - brain's going)

Slow enough start for both comedies but gradually they revealed their chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Maybe Asylum would have worked better as a longer one off programme than a series. It had some good moments but its hard to see how it will avoid repeating the same jokes.

I liked Bob Servant, I don't remember seeing it before. Brian Cox (the real one) is always good. He pops up in a huge amount of TV and Film and he rarely puts a foot wrong.

Hostages (the original Israeli version) starts on BBC4 on Saturday 21st February (replacing Spiral).

Looking forward to it - BBC4 have been sitting on this series for over a year now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭taibhse1966

Hi all - could anyone tell me where I could watch back season 5 of Spiral/Engrenages - the bbc player only goes back to episode 4. Thanks in advance!

Very good Storyville film just on about the infamous 1972 Brooklyn Chase Manhattan Bank
    robbery which was dramatised as Dog Day Afternoon. Slightly surprised BBC Four didn't tie the film in. Anyway it shows just how complex and messy the life of the main protagonist was. Not sure if its repeated but worth checking to see.

I think all of the Storyville films are worth a watch but they are not being repeated at the moment.

Next Sunday has Love Is All: 100 Years of Love & Courtship
    An archive trip through the universal theme of love, set to a soundtrack by Richard Hawley.

The following Sunday (March 1st) has The Great European Disaster Movie
    an artfully constructed depiction of how Europe is sleepwalking toward disaster

and Monday March 2nd has The 1.7 Billion Dollar Fraud: Full Exposure
    the biggest scandal in Japanese corporate history

Anyone else following Hostages on BBC Four?

Very good so far - but next week its a triple bill! /mops brow

One to watch with Aunties future once again being discussed freely

Sunday 8 PM
    Royal Television Society Lecture
    Public Service Broadcasting: A House of Cards?

Lord Dobbs of Wylye examines the UK's tradition of public service broadcasting.
    View Programme information

Tuesday 9 PM
    Sex, Lies and Love Bites: The Agony Aunt Story
    Documentary about the problem page's enduring appeal, presented by Philippa Perry.
    View Programme information

New three part "seed" comedy

Wednesday 10 PM
    In and Out of the Kitchen

1 of 3 The Diet
    Cookery writer Damien Trench has all the ingredients for a perfect life. He lives in a delightful house in a nice part of London with his committed partner Anthony, and between writing cookery books, 'keeping house', and monitoring the work being carried out by his builder, Mr Mullaney, he barely has time to fit in anything else. He certainly hasn't time to give any thought to writing a column for a supermarket, Waitsbury's, that his agent Iain Frobisher is keen for him to do, especially as it's the builder's birthday coming up, and of course, he has to bake him a cake.

But when Anthony takes up a new diet - a twist on the 'cabbage soup' diet, involving copious quantities of courgettes - Damien is piqued into taking the Waitsbury's job to rail against fad diets, and his world starts to collapse like a slowly cooling souffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ I'm reading Armchair Nation at the moment. Only on the early history but laughing out loud at moments. Will definitely be tuning in.

btw. Harry Selfridge was instrumental in turning John Logie Baird's science experiment into a publicity stunt and thus a national phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not sure if it was a Storyville documentary or not but there was a very good programme on last night about two Chinese girls that were adopted by families, one of which was American and the other Norwegian. Anyone see it?

I had a lot of respect for the way the families have tried to keep the sisters in contact with each other. Seemed like great people.

Didn't see that - the controversial and currently banned in India doc about that dreadful gang rape is currently on and repeated later

Not sure if it was a Storyville documentary or not but there was a very good programme on last night about two Chinese girls that were adopted by families, one of which was American and the other Norwegian. Anyone see it?

I had a lot of respect for the way the families have tried to keep the sisters in contact with each other. Seemed like great people.

It was "Twin Sisters: A World Apart".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

aren't culture club a bunch of drama queens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Didn't see that - the controversial and currently banned in India doc about that dreadful gang rape is currently on and repeated later

It's actually on Youtube, as the director of that show was on Ray D'arcy on Thurs & Ray told her i saw it during lunchtime on youtube to see what it was like, much to yer wan's disgust & horror as she said it could be only seen in UK, as it could be seen worldwide, as it was banned in India!

New on tonight a 90 minute documentary about spy George Blake 9PM

That Twin Sisters doc is on BBC4 again Sunday coming at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

evilivor wrote: »
    That Twin Sisters doc is on BBC4 again Sunday coming at 8pm.

great, thanks evilivor, Ive wanted to see this.
    Starts at 7pm on my planner.

Tazzer wrote: »
    great, thanks evilivor, Ive wanted to see this.
    Starts at 7pm on my planner.

Clocks go forward next Saturday night/Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

evilivor wrote: »
    Clocks go forward next Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Ah! never even dawned on me :-)

New quiz starts tonight - it almost suggests self parody - The Quizeum with Griff Rhys Jones at 8.30

followed by a new Michael Mosley self infliction medical programme about blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

followed by a new Michael Mosley self infliction medical programme about blood.

Self infliction? He been selling himself for medical experiments again, then? (Have this on disk, now wondering if maybe not to be watched over a midnight snack...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Didn't think much to the quizeum tbh wouldn't bother with it again. Can only take so much smugness in a TV programme.

I liked The Telegraph reviews summary :

"I felt like I was eavesdropping at an intellectual dinner party."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/11495104/The-Quizeum-BBC-Four-reivew-deflating.html

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Self infliction? He been selling himself for medical experiments again, then? (Have this on disk, now wondering if maybe not to be watched over a midnight snack...)

Well if watching someone eat a blood sausage made with their own blood is not your thing, I'd hold off.

Interesting documentary though.

Advertisement