Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Gods Holy Trousers. A timely reminder not to go kinging about in parts foreign nor otherwise be insulting to the memory of Alexander the Great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

9 PM Bollywood cinema, 90 minutes with everyones favourite Anglo Indian chappie - Sanjeev Bhaskar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

I see that BBC4 have released some details of their Autumn Programming.

Cassian Harrison announces raft of new titles for BBC Four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

brian_t wrote: »
    I see that BBC4 have released some details of their Autumn Programming.

Cassian Harrison announces raft of new titles for BBC Four

Looking forward to Beck and the new series of The Bridge, surprised there was no mention of Hinterland coming back this autumn, though maybe it has to be shown on BBC Wales before BBC 4 (think I answered my own question there)

It would be a real shame if they ever moved BBC 4 online like they have threatened to do, such a great channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Beck was very good. Straight thriller / procedural as opposed to the more ceberal /angst type stories from the original books. Looking forward to the next episodes. Interesting to see they were not made by Yellow Bird productions. Also interesting to see tonight's episode was made four years ago.

• Advertisement

The use of a compact cassette had me wondering how old these were!

Well the books were written in the early seventies, and I remember we got a similar cassette player in about 75. Sound quality was horrendous, but we knew no better! I have one I bought about 1983, I must dig it out tomorrow and see if it works! (I remember taping "free programming" from BBC1's "making the most of the micro" with a DIN lead and thinking I was sh1t hot, technology wise !

The Detectorists series 1 is being repeated on BBC Four from October 1st for those who missed it the first time. The best comedy of last year for my money.

The Detectorists series 1 is being repeated on BBC Four from October 1st for those who missed it the first time. The best comedy of last year for my money.

According to DigiGuide the repeats are starting on Thursday 24th Sept at 11pm (2 episodes each Thursday)

Yep you are correct someone on another forum obviously got it wrong by a week.

• Advertisement

Excellent night on BBC Four tonight

8:00pm
    Canals - The Making of a Nation

8:30pm Hive Minds
    Season 1 Episode 11: Trivium v Lutrophiles

9.00 John Simpson: Stories from the Front Line
    The BBC World Affairs Editor is joined by guests John Snow, Christiane Amanpour and Max Hastings to discuss the difficulties, moral ambiguities and challenges of the job of reporting from the frontline. A series of clips from conflicts in the Falklands, Bosnia, Iraq and Syria highlight some of the most impressive journalistic work of the past 50 years

10:00pm Wheeler on America
    A look back at the classic series, from 1996, in which Charles Wheeler traces changes in US society since the liberal revolution of the 1960s

10:55pm Storyville Which Way Is the Front Line from Here?
    Documentary profiling the work of award-winning British war photographer and film-maker Tim Hetherington, who spent his career in the epicentre of war zones and was killed during the Libyan civil war in 2011. The film weaves together footage of Hetherington at work, and features interviews with his family and colleagues to understand his compassion and intense curiosity for the human spirit during deadly conflicts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

How're people finding Hive Minds? It's not entirely free of entertainment value, but it does seem to be the most generic BBC4 quiz format imaginable. If they're not just blurring together in my mind, they've actually retreaded some of the very same contestants from Only Connect!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Trailer for Series 2 of Detectorists.

I don't see an air date, but it can't be too far away

Excellent night on BBC Four tonight

10:00pm Wheeler on America
    A look back at the classic series, from 1996, in which Charles Wheeler traces changes in US society since the liberal revolution of the 1960s

Just a comment about this, the programme was the first part of Wheeler On America and by the end I was quietly cursing the fact they were only showing the one. Even though just 20 years has passed it did feel like tv from a different age - dense, thoughtful, opinionated from a position of knowledge.

Skid X wrote: »
    Trailer for Series 2 of Detectorists.

I don't see an air date, but it can't be too far away

It starts Thursday 29th Oct at 10pm according to DigiGuide.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,498 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just a comment about this, the programme was the first part of Wheeler On America and by the end I was quietly cursing the fact they were only showing the one. Even though just 20 years has passed it did feel like tv from a different age - dense, thoughtful, opinionated from a position of knowledge.

They did that too with the first episode of Carl Sagan's Cosmos a while back :mad: why tease us in this way?

I've tried to download the rest but some are only available on youtube with spanish dialogue and English subtitles!

Good memories of that show from (IIRC) Sunday afternoons on RTE2 30 years ago.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Yay!

Now someone just needs to remind me to "series link" that come Thursday, when it'll show up in my EPG. And given how reliable my UPC -- sorry, "Virgin Media" box is (and my memory, come to that), likely every Thursday after that, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Can't wait. Detectorists Series 1 was absolutely outstanding.

Bump!

Followed by a repeat of Brian Pern.

Oh and tonight two Bond related programmes both new. 8 pm until 10 pm

Lovely to have Detectorists back and then Brian Pern which I laughed at more the second time around I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I half don't want to read this thread and all the great programmes I missed.

Detectorists was superb tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    It was, I love the 'Is that it?' endings, very subtle humour. Brian Pern was class as was the Michael Caine Bio afterwards, throw in the ads for 'The Bridge' Series 3 and it shows that it is truly the best TV station out there.

Yeah, shots of the bridge in the mist, a 911 and "the new Saga" whet the appetite all right!

I know it's on BBC2, but has anyone been watching "Cuffs"?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yeah, shots of the bridge in the mist, a 911 and "the new Saga" whet the appetite all right!
    I watched the first season of the France/UK version, and enough of the Scandie one to conclude they were very similar. I wonder if they still inter-operate enough to switch over!

Is cuffs even an honorary BBC4 show? I've only seen the trailers, but I was thinking if anything, more of a BBC3 escapee. :)

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Nekarsulm wrote: »

Is cuffs even an honorary BBC4 show? I've only seen the trailers, but I was thinking if anything, more of a BBC3 escapee. :)
    It's actually a BBC1 show.

Anyone watching Quizeum on Four at the moment? My kind of quiz!

Not watched it, but I have recorded the Storyville film about an Elvis impersonator. Sounds intriguing.

Deathwish4 wrote: »

Detectorists was superb again last night. It's like the show was made for my humour.

Lance, Andy, Russell, Terry, Sheila, Huw. Brilliant, Brilliant characters.

The scene with Lance and the presents broke my heart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Bridge is back tonight. Episodes one and two of the new series. Can't wait.

Advertisement