Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Any of the James Burke stuff is worth a watch - Connections was also quite good.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BBC Four have had another look through the drama archives, and they have dug out the 1981 version of the Man Eating Plant Sci Fi series The Day of The Triffids, which starts on Sunday at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭brian_t

Skid X wrote: »
    BBC Four have had another look through the drama archives, and they have dug out the 1981 version of the Man Eating Plant Sci Fi series The Day of The Triffids, which starts on Sunday at 8pm.

Abigails Party in on the next day (Monday) at 10pm and Nuts in May is on the following Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Day of the Triffids is fantastic. I watched it again last year and it still stands up very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I assume this is tying in with BBC Twos Science Fiction season which starts on Saturday with part one of four by Dominic Sandbrook - who gives us his history of SF (a la Mark Gatiss and his Horror)

• Advertisement

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    Detectorists is the best thing on TV at the moment.

Just finished this - loved it.

Nate

"the Life of Rock" with Brian Pern has been transferred to BBC Two :( This sort of thing is happening too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone been watching puppy love ? (thur nights)

the new comedy thats replaced the detectorists, similar style comedy in a way

I have, quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i like it as well, brings a wry smile to my face

that chubby scouse one is gas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The two main characters in puppy love were also in (and co created) Getting On which was fantastic bbc 4 comedy. Didn't even mind Jo Brand in it, scarily accurate depiction of wonderful world of nursing, and very funny.

"the Life of Rock" with Brian Pern is on BBC Two at 10 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Documentary on BBC4 now about Quantum theory by Jim al Kalili.

Recorded that, always like a bit of Prof Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Recorded that, always like a bit of Prof Jim

He has a very accessible book on this subject as well.

"the Life of Rock" with Brian Pern is on BBC Two at 10 pm.

I thought it was great. Going to watch it back again to see if I missed any subtle jokes. The Operation Yewtree nod was very good.

There's a Spike Milligan Documentary tonight (I think it's new) followed by a rare chance to see some of his Q Series

9pm Spike Milligan: Love, Light and Peace
    Documentary offering a personal portrait of the truly unique comedian, as told in his own words and featuring exclusive home movie footage. With contributions from those who worked with him, lived with him and were inspired by him

10.30pm Spike Milligan: Assorted Q
    First of a two-part compilation of clips from the enduringly popular comedian's pioneering sketch shows, featuring material that ranges from the surreal and influential to the sublime. The programme also takes a fresh look at some of the star's more controversial material (Part 2 tomorrow (Thursday) at 10.30pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Documentary on BBC4 now about Quantum theory by Jim al Kalili.

Do you know what it was called? May be up on the iplayer so could watch it if it was.

The Secrets of Quantum Physics 1. Einstein's nightmare

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Secrets of Quantum Physics 1. Einstein's nightmare

Nate

Cheers. This indeed on the player.

• Advertisement

There's a Spike Milligan Documentary tonight (I think it's new) followed by a rare chance to see some of his Q Series

9pm Spike Milligan: Love, Light and Peace

10.30pm Spike Milligan: Assorted Q

Irish Noughts and Crosses...will they dare show it? :D

I think Q was a series that got better as it went, whenever I dip into it on the tube of you its the later stuff makes me laugh more.

Its Darts night on BBC Four

9 PM Bullseyes and Beer: When Darts Hit Britain: Timeshift
    Documentary about the history of darts, as it transformed from a traditional working-class pub game into a world-recognised sport, and the role television played in elevating competitors such as Alan Evans and Jocky Wilson into household names. With contributions from Eric Bristow, Bobby George, John Lowe and Phil Taylor. Narrated by Siobhan Finneran

10 PM Arrows
    John Samson's 1979 documentary of British darts player Eric Bristow. Then aged 22, Bristow is witnessed travelling between the nation's pubs and working men's clubs playing exhibition matches and cementing his reputation as a rising star of the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ I got all misty eyed watching that. Probably not coincidental that the only sport I ever excelled at was the only one you could get drunk at while playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭brian_t

Saturday night crime at 9pm in January.

On Saturday 3rd - Wallander "The Dogs of War" starring Rolf Lassgård as Wallander

On Saturday 10th - Spiral series 5 starts.

Also on Tuesday evenings at 10pm there will be a repeat of Smiley's People (starting 6th Jan)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

brian_t wrote: »
    On Saturday 10th - Spiral series 5 starts.

Excellent!

Can't wait for January and its not often you'll hear me say that.

9 pm The Fight for Saturday Night Michael Grade looks back at the high stakes and skullduggery employed to win the rating battle between BBC1 and ITV

9 PM

Al Murray looks at the British Spy film followed by yet another showing of the Ipcress File, seriously again? why not say The Spy Who Came in form the Cold or The Quiller Memorandum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Watching Wallander in Riga what year is this?

They are the early Wallanders with Rolf Lassgård - 1995. Spiral is back next week.

• Advertisement

Spiral is back next week.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Nate

Advertisement