Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Restoring headlights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

I find surgical spirits always works a gem on that problem.
    Done a few cars with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Honestly - it looks like they're dirty inside, correct me if I'm wrong. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The best way to fix that is to flat it back with very fine wet and dry sandpaper to remove the cloudy layer of plastic (2000 grit works well) and then use fast cut compound to polish the new surface back up again. You can do it yourself by hand but a machine polisher makes it a much easier and quicker job. We can do them for you some day you are passing by if you want, should only take about 15 minutes to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The best way to fix that is to flat it back with very fine wet and dry sandpaper to remove the cloudy layer of plastic (2000 grit works well) and then use fast cut compound to polish the new surface back up again. You can do it yourself by hand but a machine polisher makes it a much easier and quicker job. We can do them for you some day you are passing by if you want, should only take about 15 minutes to do both.

Sounds like a much better option - thanks George! :)

How are you fixed over the next week or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Bit of a lurker here so hopefully this will help a little in return for the knowledge gleaned.

I used a 3M headlight Restoration Kit I got from Amazon along with some Glass Sealant, UV Inhibitor and polish to do a number on mine on Christmas Eve.

I could have done with two of the kits as my headlight lenses were pretty far gone to be honest. As such the job isn't as good as it could have been but is still a night and day comparison.

Lessons learned?
    1. Get two kits if your headlight lenses are as far gone as mine. I spread the discs out between the two headlights, doing a better job on headlight one versus headlight two (pictured below).

2. Pick a warmer day. The hands were in pain at the end of it.

3. Don't load the polishing pad with polish and spin the drill up to full speed on a freshly charged battery. Will leave that to your imagination.

Hope it helps anyone in the same predicament and thanks for the advice.

xJzdfXSl.jpg

rVLYQXFl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Finally got a chance to work on the headlights! Didn't think to order restoration kits online in advance though! Got by today with G3 scratch remover paste, it didn't quite get them perfect, but far better now. Will maybe try wet sanding tomorrow.

Before - passenger side:
    290553.JPG

After - passenger side:
    290554.JPG

Before - driver's side (a lot worse):
    290555.JPG

After - driver's side (not quite enough done!):
    290556.JPG

Quick look at the lights!
    290557.JPG

So not quite done yet! I'll be using that Glass sealant Roen mentioned - will order from Amazon. Already looks immensely better though! Amazing how much it spruces up the whole car - looks less tired!

ps_before.JPG
    ps_after.JPG
    ds_before.JPG
    ds_after.JPG
    front_done.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

One of my headlights is cloudy all over and the other one is perfectly fine. With the lights on at night, one side is much dimmer than the other.

jhix.jpg

evse.jpg

I've tried toothpaste and baking soda, cutting compound and metallic polish, all with plenty of elbow grease and it hasn't worked. It's like the damage is within the plastic itself as opposed to on the surface.

It may not look too bad in the photos but it's noticeable with the lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pops_20 wrote: »
    One of my headlights is cloudy all over and the other one is perfectly fine. With the lights on at night, one side is much dimmer than the other.

jhix.jpg

evse.jpg

I've tried toothpaste and baking soda, cutting compound and metallic polish, all with plenty of elbow grease and it hasn't worked. It's like the damage is within the plastic itself as opposed to on the surface.

It may not look too bad in the photos but it's noticeable with the lights on.

Looks like it could be the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

@zoney: Go in to Joe McKennas and get some emery paper there for wet sanding. Looking at your lights in those pictures, you'll probably only want to give a very light rub with 1500 and 2000 grit. Use plenty of water as you're going along. Finish off with the G3 past afterwards.

@Pops_20: The damage at the top of the light fitting shouldn't affect light output for that lamp - it's more of an aesthetic feature. The front surface looks a bit pitted alright - I'd try wet sanding before buying a new lamp. Probably start from 600 grit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Chimaera wrote: »
    @zoney: Go in to Joe McKennas and get some emery paper there for wet sanding. Looking at your lights in those pictures, you'll probably only want to give a very light rub with 1500 and 2000 grit. Use plenty of water as you're going along. Finish off with the G3 past afterwards.

Thanks! Have some 1500 grit paper already, was going to use the G3 paste again after alright. How much of a difference would you say the extra step of the 2000 grit would make, or does using the 1500 grit just really need that next step anyway before the final finish? The advice I got when buying the sandpaper was plenty of water alright!

Haven't done more yet - got sidetracked on Saturday with a different project as it happened (wheels/alloys), then the weather attacked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

2000 leaves less work to do with the G3 and sealant at the end. Last time I did mine, I finished with 2000 and just finished them with Meguiars PlastX each time I washed the car. When I got the DA polisher last summer, I gave them a good working over with G3, mostly because I could :D

When the weather warms up a bit, I'll probably go back and give them a good sanding again - they've gotten a little pitted in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Need to do this again to the missus car guys , what grit sandpaper do i start and finish with again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's mentioned a few times already. Depending on how bad they are use 1500 and then 2000 wet, maybe start lower grit if they are really bad.
    Polish after. Finish with wax (pref UV) to protect from further damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bartbanis

Can anyone recommend a product to restore headlights of car back to new or close to it? The lights seem to have a scum on them and very hard shifted. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Toothpaste and a brisk scrub with a toothbrush. I kid you not! :cool:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Toothpaste and a brisk scrub with a toothbrush. I kid you not! :cool:
    anything is worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

u used ordinary toothpaste , and autosol metal polish , never got before and after pics but it did the job

i have tried that plastx product , did a good job but problem is back again not long after lights were done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bloggerirl

I used the meguiars headlight restoration kit can't recommend it enough practically like brand new lights makes a big difference to the car...the results speak for themselves

I'd upload a pic but it won't let me

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Bloggerirl wrote: »
    I used the meguiars headlight restoration kit can't recommend it enough practically like brand new lights makes a big difference to the car...the results speak for themselves

I'd upload a pic but it won't let me

Interesting. I was just considering that kit in halfords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Interesting. I was just considering that kit in halfords.

Yes it looks good...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Headlight lenses have a protective layer which can degrade over time and all the refinishing in the world won't stop the polycarbonate oxidizing time after time.

The only long term cure is to reapply a new layer.

nEFZJBa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Morning all what would ye recommend as a long lasting solution? Like do it once and no more messing for 3 years?

Or is it just a case of a decent cut the first time and regular top up of sealant with an annual light sanding/abrasive?

Permanent is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

2 new headlights is another cure :p

That's not a cure it's a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

That's not a cure it's a waste of money.

Well if it fixes the problem it's a cure :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Permanent is best.
    Glass rather than plastic? I didn't think there was a permanent solution for plastic headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Buying a brand new car would also alleviate the symptoms.

Advertisement