Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternal Limousin Bull

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    I asked a local Dovea Ai man about CWI a while back, he reckons that they can be very tall and leggy in their back end and that he'd work best on smaller muscly type cows. Would that be right?
    Was going to get some straws off him last year, went for Dromanig King instead.

The best cow here is off Millbrook Tanko (TKO) off an OEI x Fr cow. She's a well muscled cow with good milk, never had to help her calving.

Mereside Favori (FZF) breeds a serious cow i think. The only think he lacks is a bit of milk, breeds great bulls also. He's a bit harder calved than average.
    Bullbank have straws off him now.
    On-Dit (ONI) bred good cows here, similar type of bull to FZF, easier calved tho, he's gone now i think.
    Palmares (PAM) breed great cows, loads of milk, too much nearly, only one left here now.

Had 2 pam, not great calvers, not great milkers, cwi leaves grand tall cows, great calvers. Cwi crosses nicely on that sort alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had 2 pam, not great calvers, not great milkers, cwi leaves grand tall cows, great calvers. Cwi crosses nicely on that sort alright

I sold a pam heifer out of a sim cow to a friend a couple of years ago. He said she's the best breeding cow he has and he has 70±. It funny the way different people see different things. I'd always have thought cwi bred a bit plain and leggy but I know a few lads like yourself that would be mad about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Seconded. Superb cows, most of our cows are bred back to him. One issue is they can have bad back legs (I've found anyway)

Speaking of, must get a few more straws off him for the pot.

Yes the back legs can be sickled, but didn't cause any problems for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I sold a pam heifer out of a sim cow to a friend a couple of years ago. He said she's the best breeding cow he has and he has 70±. It funny the way different people see different things. I'd always have thought cwi bred a bit plain and leggy but I know a few lads like yourself that would be mad about him.
    Ah the pam cows breed great, dont get me wrong but as a cow cwi are better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

I had a pam cow here a good few years ago, bred her myself out of an average SI cow that was around for years. The pam one was very hard calved, she was culled early. Always avoided him after that. She had lots of milk though.... Maybe I got the runt of his litter, as pam has mostly positive comments here..

• Advertisement

I had a highlander HGR bull previously, he left fairly good cows... Nice udders, good milk and feet. Only fault is that they can be a little on the hard calved side... You'd need to be a little careful about the bull used on them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Used Ardlea Dan here and really like the type of cow he produced. Very fertile, good calvers, quiet and not too big. Feck all milk though which is a pity as all else was good.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Used Arlea Dan here and really like the type of cow he produced. Very fertile, good calvers, quiet and not too big. Feck all milk though which is a pity as all else was good.

Would he be a great cross on the dairy cow?

Ya, I was thinking just that, as I was typing it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I’ve used my adx stock bull on the limx from dairy cows....all are bringing milk and shape....really like the cows off him (a mix of black and red). This is his last year as I’ve too many heifers off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Used Ardlea Dan here and really like the type of cow he produced. Very fertile, good calvers, quiet and not too big. Feck all milk though which is a pity as all else was good.

Savage weanlings but don’t rate his cows at all. A cow without milk is only dining half her job.
    He is the single worst bull for milk i’ve Ever used.

However if you want a bull to add width to back ends he is as good as any blue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Who2

I’d two adx cows out of friesan, ones gone and the other one is in her last year here. They both had a desperate temperament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Who2 wrote: »
    I’d two adx cows out of friesan, ones gone and the other one is in her last year here. They both had a desperate temperament.

Don’t want that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

I had a highlander HGR bull previously, he left fairly good cows... Nice udders, good milk and feet. Only fault is that they can be a little on the hard calved side... You'd need to be a little careful about the bull used on them

Highlander is a bull I'm sorry i didn't use more when he was available. He was very easy calved and bred tanks off cattle. Had a couple of great cows off him, not the milkiest but good muscle and calving ability and their calves always did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Had a few ADX heifers off milky cows. All had no milk but savage cattle. Made gr8 prices as cull cows. ADX one of most underrated terminal lms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

adne wrote: »
    Had a few ADX heifers off milky cows. All had no milk but savage cattle. Made gr8 prices as cull cows. ADX one of most underrated terminal lms

Was he hard calved?
    My vet hated him, he reckoned that his calves had unusually large shoulders that could be troublesome at calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

tanko wrote: »
    Was he hard calved?
    My vet hated him, he reckoned that his calves had unusually large shoulders that could be troublesome at calving.

Only use on good calvers from 3rd calving on. He on the hard side for a lim but not the hardest

Well lads,

I bought a LM bull....Eravelle and Bavardage on the fathers side. On-Dit and Sympa on the mothers side. He has very high figures (€157 repl and €144 terminal), low enough reliability ..... a nice looking bull, average sized... I'll stick up a picture later

I don't think any of these bulls were mentioned earlier in this thread....Any comments on the breeding?

Hopefully he goes well, time will tell ..

Well lads,

I bought a LM bull....Eravelle and Bavardage on the fathers side. On-Dit and Sympa on the mothers side. He has very high figures (€157 repl and €144 terminal), low enough reliability ..... a nice looking bull, average sized... I'll stick up a picture later

I don't think any of these bulls were mentioned earlier in this thread....Any comments on the breeding?

Hopefully he goes well, time will tell ..

4 top sires in the Limousin breed. Bavardage has milk and muscle. Sympa muscle and great style. On-dit milk and docility. Eravelle ticks all the boxes, very good on gestation but he does lack some length and height. All the Tomschoice bulls here in Ireland are by him.

Here's a few pics of the bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Here's a few pics of the bull.

Very nice looking bull, what age and weight is he? Thanks, Mac

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Very nice looking bull, what age and weight is he? Thanks, Mac

Hi Mac,
    He's born March 19...I reckon he's 700 - 750 Kg... I must weigh him at some stage

Advertisement