Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternal Limousin Bull

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 j banks

Have 3 fl21 heifers calved down all very poor for milk .big growthy sort of cattle but am flat out feeding crunch to their calves to keep them going

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

j banks wrote: »
    Have 3 fl21 heifers calved down all very poor for milk .big growthy sort of cattle but am flat out feeding crunch to their calves to keep them going

How were the dams in the milk dept?

One thing I will say, these big growthy heifers, often won't milk when they're growing, but mature into decent cows.

Of course there heifers that will never come into milk, but I wouldn't condemn a heifer straight off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

What were their mother's like for milk?

Mothers good milkers he must be very negative for milk. He had five stars for milk a while back but now has none very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

Trying to breed your own replacements isn't easy. The paper in some Ai catalogues doesn't refuse ink or stars when it comes to giving a rating for daughters milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Mothers good milkers he must be very negative for milk. He had five stars for milk a while back but now has none very frustrating

Agree. The icbf are frustrating for numbers as low reliability and literally overnight the bull goes from hero to zero. The data compiled is not gathered in consistent way in beef like dairy as no milk recording system in the calf. The maternal bull program is also subjective and I fear in 5 years time we will damage beef with poor cattle through low reliable data be ing used for breeding program... My thoughts only

Very true lots of bulls in ai with big reputations am not sure how they got them tho

It's always better to use a few bulls rather than using the one. At least that way you're hedgeing your bets a bit then.

Anyone got any CWI heifers calved have a few of his daughters ready for bulling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭limo_100

Iv used him over the years to get replacements of him, very happy with him great broad rangy heifers with lots of milk they probably have more than the mothers. Stick with them heifers they will come right for u. It says his figures are low for thats bull****e his pedigree in france is famous for milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

limo_100 wrote: »
    Iv used him over the years to get replacements of him, very happy with him great broad rangy heifers with lots of milk they probably have more than the mothers. Stick with them heifers they will come right for u. It says his figures are low for thats bull****e his pedigree in france is famous for milk.
    Limo, are they purebred? What are they like for docility?
    I was talking to my ai man at the week end and we just happened to be discussing various animals figures and he agreed that alot of the figures don't reflect what's happening on the ground. Bulls poor for milk with cows from them actually being good for milk. Now I know the bull is only 50% but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭limo_100

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Limo, are they purebred? What are they like for docility?
    I was talking to my ai man at the week end and we just happened to be discussing various animals figures and he agreed that alot of the figures don't reflect what's happening on the ground. Bulls poor for milk with cows from them actually being good for milk. Now I know the bull is only 50% but...

no there commercial there fine for docility, in fairness iv never had trouble with any limo bull for docility. yeah i totally agree with you them figures are useless. when he came from over to irish AI he was pushed fully for maternal. The ICBF figures are brilliant for turning good bulls into bad bulls on paper anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

limo_100 wrote: »
    no there commercial there fine for docility, in fairness iv never had trouble with any limo bull for docility. yeah i totally agree with you them figures are useless. when he came from over to irish AI he was pushed fully for maternal. The ICBF figures are brilliant for turning good bulls into bad bulls on paper anyway

Icbf Also good at turning bad bulls into good ones. Reliablilty numbers are too low so would only ever use as part of selection would prefer to see offspring in action before final judgement. Some bulls can have big reputations and not deliver

Just on FL21, I had a bull weanling by him last year hit 460Kg at 8 months. Serious animal, as wide as he was tall.

I checked him there on ICBf for milk and he is in the bottom 1% at 84% reliability. That's with 47 daughters.

In fairness the growth rate of his calves is very good . Might keep them another year and see how they perform . Its not an exact science this cattle breeding game but not sure all these icbf figures add up sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

In fairness the growth rate of his calves is very good . Might keep them another year and see how they perform . Its not an exact science this cattle breeding game but not sure all these icbf figures add up sometimes

Anyone have a calved FL22 heifer or cow and did he add anything milk wise ?

Reason I ask is even though docility of FL22 offspring stinks .. For numbers last year kept a black white head 75% lim springer... Grandmother of this heifer is a red white head HR X Lim monster and great milk and would calve a truck but (75% lim black white head)mother is yet to prove herself and below average for milk in my opinion ... Interesting to see will FL22 add any milk that her mother is definitely not noted for... Mother and daughter could get the high road !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Bodacious wrote: »

Reason I ask is even though docility of FL22 offspring stinks .. For numbers last year kept a black white head 75% lim springer... Grandmother of this heifer is a red white head HR X Lim monster and great milk and would calve a truck but (75% lim black white head)mother is yet to prove herself and below average for milk in my opinion ... Interesting to see will FL22 add any milk that her mother is definitely not noted for... Mother and daughter could get the high road !!

S666 Vermil Looked impressive for milk

i have given FTY and HCA to two maiden heifers this year, wonder what FTY is like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Have a fl22 heifer out of a milky bb x fr cow. Grand on docility and milk

• Registered Users Posts: 44 FYM

Reason I ask is even though docility of FL22 offspring stinks .. For numbers last year kept a black white head 75% lim springer... Grandmother of this heifer is a red white head HR X Lim monster and great milk and would calve a truck but (75% lim black white head)mother is yet to prove herself and below average for milk in my opinion ... Interesting to see will FL22 add any milk that her mother is definitely not noted for... Mother and daughter could get the high road !![/QUOTE]

I had a maiden FL22 heifer last year. Not a drop of milk if you looked at her - seriously could hardly see her udder, Yet she produced a great weanling ( i never seen him double suckling either). Also the heifer was like a lamb untill she claved down then the FL22 broke out in her :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Dozer1

well she's probably worth a shot, if it doesn't work out its nothing ventured nothing gained.
    thanks for all the replies, mad the amount of maternal bulls on ICBF that are going from milky to zero though, makes it even more of a minefield looking for replacements.

inlaws were trying to sell me a red whitehead heifer calf off a fresian cow....might be worth chancing her instead:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Dozer1 wrote: »
    well she's probably worth a shot, if it doesn't work out its nothing ventured nothing gained.
    thanks for all the replies, mad the amount of maternal bulls on ICBF that are going from milky to zero though, makes it even more of a minefield looking for replacements.

inlaws were trying to sell me a red whitehead heifer calf off a fresian cow....might be worth chancing her instead:D

If ya get her cheap chance her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Dozer
    There's a lot to be said for knowing the origins of an animal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

To be fair I think the advice here is 10 fold better than any advice from the ai companies, at least here lads have them on the ground and nothing to gain from a good or bad report on a bull. Guess where I'll be looking for advice on what bulls to use this spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a limo bull to breed replacements from. I want cows that are easily calved, quiet, good for milk and good feet. I'm not asking for much!!!

My cow herd is a mix of sim, lm and ch.

What bulls should I look for in the back breeding? I'm not interested in hearing about stars or figures. I'd like to hear about what works and doesn't for you.

I've a tanko bull and he's s a great terminal bull, but heifirs have no milk, even out of the best cows.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭148multi

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a limo bull to breed replacements from. I want cows that are easily calved, quiet, good for milk and good feet. I'm not asking for much!!!

My cow herd is a mix of sim, lm and ch.

What bulls should I look for in the back breeding? I'm not interested in hearing about stars or figures. I'd like to hear about what works and doesn't for you.

I've a tanko bull and he's s a great terminal bull, but heifirs have no milk, even out of the best cows.

Thanks

Navrin, with ronick hawk on the moma's side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Has anyone used Rockstar S536 to breed replacement heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

148multi wrote: »
    Navrin, with ronick hawk on the moma's side

Seconded. Superb cows, most of our cows are bred back to him. One issue is they can have bad back legs (I've found anyway)

Speaking of, must get a few more straws off him for the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Best cows here are cwi, they have it all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

Best cows here are cwi, they have it all

I asked a local Dovea Ai man about CWI a while back, he reckons that they can be very tall and leggy in their back end and that he'd work best on smaller muscly type cows. Would that be right?
    Was going to get some straws off him last year, went for Dromanig King instead.

The best cow here is off Millbrook Tanko (TKO) off an OEI x Fr cow. She's a well muscled cow with good milk, never had to help her calving.

Mereside Favori (FZF) breeds a serious cow i think. The only think he lacks is a bit of milk, breeds great bulls also. He's a bit harder calved than average.
    Bullbank have straws off him now.
    On-Dit (ONI) bred good cows here, similar type of bull to FZF, easier calved tho, he's gone now i think.
    Palmares (PAM) breed great cows, loads of milk, too much nearly, only one left here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Has anyone used Rockstar S536 to breed replacement heifers?

I used that Rockstar straw before from Eurogene. I think it was all bulls I got from him. They were alright - average enough weanlings

Advertisement