Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternal Limousin Bull

Options
  • 15-11-2013 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭

can anyone point me in the direction of a good maternal limousin bull, been out of the AI game for a while

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

What company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Ampertaine Commander is bringing lovely calves. Straws are €50 a pop though + AI fee on top of that if you're not DIY.

http://herdplus.icbf.com/bull-search/view/animalId/735593647

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

What company?

:eek: progressive genitics i used to use

reilig wrote: »
    Ampertaine Commander is bringing lovely calves. Straws are €50 a pop though + AI fee on top of that if you're not DIY.

http://herdplus.icbf.com/bull-search/view/animalId/735593647

cheers reilig, impressive looking

where did you get the straws

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

hugo29 wrote: »
    can anyone point me in the direction of a good maternal limousin bull, been out of the AI game for a while

ADX has impressive calves also TVR AND FTY would be my favourite . Use on at least 3 year old cows.

• Advertisement

ignore the angry face in my last most - bloody iPhones!

OZS, HCA, FTY, CVV OR FL21 are probably your best bet

ADX has impressive calves also TVR AND FTY would be my favourite . Use on at least 3 year old cows.

ADX and TVR are throwing great calves but I wouldnt call them maternal bulls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

vermeil (S666) was recommended to me by rose Goulding as good maternal sire, have a nice heifer off him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

cheers reilig, impressive looking

where did you get the straws

AI man has a few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Efz has great figures but low reliability. I've used him in the hope of heifers next year and GWO seems good. I have a few calves off him this autumn and they are pretty good and as quiet as charlaois.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

FL 21 is very poor for milk. Great calves to grow though. I had one bull hit 460Kg at 8 months. Cow very milky, which helped big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭limo_100

FL 21 is very poor for milk. Great calves to grow though. I had one bull hit 460Kg at 8 months. Cow very milky, which helped big time.

His figures for milk is low but when he came over he was pushed for his maternal. his french family are top class maternal figures so i would garentee he is a good maternal bull. I have to heifers off him both are very maternal looking and im gona keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Tvr's calving difficulty looks v high, any one had issues?

Mature cows only. Great calves but not easy calved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

on-dit ,high reliability figures ,both irish and french, not stylish but produces good daughters apparently , 35 from limousin society
    pacha 08 looks the biz on paper for maternal , 10 a straw dovea

@hugo these are comercial cows yes?

@hugo these are comercial cows yes?

Yes, am culling a few, changing my mind about 1 Simmental cow, going to try to get a heifer from her, hedging my bets and crossing back to a limo

30 euro straws are no use to you so!

30 euro straws are no use to you so!

I have 2 maiden heifers to serve as well so I suppose an easy calving maternal bull, if there is such a lad

HCA or OZS if they are good strong heifers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

+1 for HCA. Very easy calving. Hoping I don't have to eat my words but so far they seem to be fairly good on the Docility score too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

A few HCA's here from springers, some only 24mo with no problems. Controlled diet for last 6 weeks though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

tim04750 wrote: »
    pacha 08 looks the biz on paper for maternal , 10 a straw dovea
    Certainly looks good on paper but I've heard none of the pedigree breeds went near him as he's tall and lacks bulk.

FTY looks good and suitable for heifers. ADX and GWO also recommended but probably not for heifers.

Starting AI from Autumn calvers from now. Plan to do all cows/heifers with a maternal bull for 1st 3 weeks, a mix of maternal/terminal for 2nd 3 weeks and then only terminal sire after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

vermeil (S666) was recommended to me by rose Goulding as good maternal sire, have a nice heifer off him

I got 3 straws of this fellow, €14 each, based on what Vander/Rose Goulding said in a post last year. Gave him to 3 of our best cows. If he doesn't work out......
    Only thing is looking at his linear figures on the icbf bull search he seems fairly tall and long - want a bit of size but not too much either.

Pakalasa had a lovely pic of an ADX heifer up a few months ago - we gave him to another cow but not sure I'd give him to a heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Corner back Titan

Hi folks, I am after buying a pedigree Limo who calved down an AHZ heifer calf, small but has developed! Looking for other suitable Limo easy calvers for dairy herd bulls, any ideas? I've been looking at RHN and Emerson from progressive! Any experience with these lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 j banks

R h n easy calving and leaving lovely cattle after him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I've an FL21 heifer off of a resonably milky HE cow, the quietest cow in the place, I've been thinking about keeping her for a replacement but even though she's not wild she's always the first one with the head up when I go into the shed and always a bit nervous. Looking on ICBF the figures aren't great for milk or docility, is it worth keeping her is the thing, she has a great frame already, but I'm just not convinced by her.
    Any opinions?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Dozer1 wrote: »
    I've an FL21 heifer off of a resonably milky HE cow, the quietest cow in the place, I've been thinking about keeping her for a replacement but even though she's not wild she's always the first one with the head up when I go into the shed and always a bit nervous. Looking on ICBF the figures aren't great for milk or docility, is it worth keeping her is the thing, she has a great frame already, but I'm just not convinced by her.
    Any opinions?

I often complain about wildish cattle. But I've often seen it, if your cows are fairly calm on the whole I'd be thinking they'll have a calming influence on a giddy one entering the herd.
    On the subject of milk. The HE cow with milk should still come through in the daughter.
    If I liked her myself, I'd bull her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Any opinions?
    I have a very timid cow, a bit narrow at the hips and loads of milk. I used FL21 on her last year to correct all of her problems.:D
    For you, it could be 50:50 on milk but everything else should be ok. I suppose it does prove that you do need to look through all the figures when selecting any bull for replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

Any opinions?

I'd keep her, you never know how she'll turn out. I've a few cows of ION who has an even worse figure for milk, they aren't great for milk but have enough to keep calves going. I can think of a reason to get rid of most of my herd. It's hard to get the perfect cow.

Advertisement