Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Wii U the next gen console to get this Christmas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

COYVB wrote: »
    Wii u is a seriously great piece of kit. Should be everyone's second console

This. I got it for my son, he likes Pikmin etc quite a lot. I got Monster Hunter for myself but haven't given it any time yet. As an only console it'd only satisfy a casual gamer though for the odd evenings entertainment (or perhaps kids, though mine wouldn't be happy with just it which in fairness could be due random gaming devices peppering the house since birth for them).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Danonino. wrote: »
    Yeah I gave it a quick google and search but asking someone who has the console at home and has tried already seemed the best option. I've been stung before :D

Edit: yeah this seems to be what I feared. You can only transfer the games themselves not redownload them onto the new system. Means I'd have to sort out which games to leave on the Wii (so I can use Gamecube ports for multiplayer etc) and which to transfer over. Damn it.
    Wonder what the chances are Nintendo start doing a cross buy system like PS+. oh well. Not the end of the world but a little annoying.

Bomberman 94 on the Wii for example I can play 5 player multiplayer by having a wii remote and 4 Cube Pads connected. If I transfer that over I get to play it on the gamepad but without the cube ports need to start buying extra remotes.

I've kept my Wii sitting beside the Wii U. You can't sort through your VC games to pick which to keep and which to transfer. As far as I know, the transfer is all or nothing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

If I wasn't getting a ps4 I'd pick one up just for monster hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If I wasn't getting a ps4 I'd pick one up just for monster hunter.
    :pac:

You can still get it. There aren't One Console Police going around sending people off to a gulag.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think at this stage it's doomed and I'll 'do a Dreamcast' on it and pick it up for next to nothing with a load of games when Nintendo drop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

nah not a chance, thats what they said about the cube and that still turned out to be a great machine with some excellent games. Enough games for it to be probably my favorite console. The games will come and they will be worth having, plus they won't be available anywhere else so if people want to play them they will buy :pac: Nintendo know what they are doing, pretty sure they are the only company left that sell consoles at a profit, plus DS/3DS sales could probably support the WiiU alone.

They need a HD starfox, no free roam or adventure stuff just a really good nostalgic eye feast of spaceflying awesomeness.
    F-Zero would be also be amazing. A wiiU Fire Emblem, Metroid, and Advance wars too. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I've kept my Wii sitting beside the Wii U. You can't sort through your VC games to pick which to keep and which to transfer. As far as I know, the transfer is all or nothing.

You're not transferring VC Games, you're transferring your hardware-tied Wii Shop account to the vWii on the WiiU.

If your Wii is softmodded, you have options though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Think at this stage it's doomed and I'll 'do a Dreamcast' on it and pick it up for next to nothing with a load of games when Nintendo drop it.

Someone bookmark this post so we can look back on it an a few years & let hilarity ensue :D

Banjo wrote: »
    You're not transferring VC Games, you're transferring your hardware-tied Wii Shop account to the vWii on the WiiU.

If your Wii is softmodded, you have options though...

whoa whoa wait a second, does this mean if I transfer one game from the Wii, my entire shop transfers to the WiiU meaning none of the VC games n the wii will work anymore?

or am I reading this all wrong?

Nintendo really do need to do a unified account.

Edit: ok now I'm getting confused. If I do transfer over the VC games by what I have read they now are but you need a wiimote to control them (not a problem) My question is can you start the wiiU and play the wii VC games without turning on the telly?

think I just need to buy one and find out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Banjo wrote: »
    If you own 1 TV and don't live alone or with someone who always wants to play Co-Op with you, you need the Wii U. Off TV play is one of those things that, like smart phones and broadband and Sky+ and flushing toilets, we'll look back in 10 years and wonder what people did before it.

Don't forget Online Multiplayer Wii Sports Tennis and Bowling!

It really won't. My brother has a Wii U, my family lives in a pretty standard house in terms of construction material (i.e. bricks) and it doesn't reliably reach outside of the living room (where the WII U is)

Why it doesnt have the option to make use your home network I do not know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Edit : I may be wrong. I frequently am. The horses I back in the Grand National tend to get shot and I honestly thought Pilotwings Resort would hold it's value.
    But

Far as I remember, when you do the transfer from Wii to WiiU it takes everything it can, transferring both data from the Wii Memory (ie your installed software from memory) and the purchase info / licence-to-download from the wii Shop which is why they need both of your consoles online for the purpose of the transfer. I don't remember being asked what items I wanted to transfer.... I just pressed a button, the music started and then the Pikmins came for my data... Afterwards I could download purchased software from the vWii shop that had been purchased on the Wii.

The key thing is, I think, that it moves the unique license / ID from the Wii to the vWii, then assigns your Wii a different license (or moves the Wii Shop account associate from the Wii to the vWii)
    If you have the facility to backup your existing Wii's NAND before the transfer, do.

Edit : Off-TV Play - it's a first draft. I have a normal-ish house, WiiU is in the far corner of my sitting room, I can just make it into my kitchen or downstairs toilet or the car parked outside - all excellent places for playing Nintendo undisturbed! If I moved the WiiU to a more central location, I'd have full coverage all over the downstairs, possibly upstairs too.

Ninty are pretty closed-box in their thinking, they want you to have an in-the-box solution that requires the bare minimum of outside hardware to function. Remember how surprising it was when they announced you could attach a 3rd party HDD to the box? But they take that closed-box thinking a step too far most of the time, and don't allow you to expand your options if you have the means.

I'd guess - and I suspect you will know more about this subject than I - that if they allowed you to introduce a Switch you're bringing in network latency over which they have no control, possible congestion and bandwidth issues. All of these impact the responsiveness of the controller, and Ninty have always been about the gameplay experience*. Rather than take that risk, they delivered a controller they know works and locked the box behind them.

Similarly if you introduced some sort of repeater to extend the range, the noise levels go up, the bandwidth for the controller gets halved and you potentially degrade the experience.

Down the line there was talk of introducing support for a second controller, so that suggests you might get away with a single controller + repeater, but I would not expect them to release one if it damaged the responsiveness of the controller.

(*and the money. If they could release a proprietry solution I'm sure they would.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I still don't think it's time to pick up a Wii U for me personally.

Obviously finances dictate that too since I'm still on course to get the PS4 but I imagine like the Wii I'll pick it up in a year or 2 when a good few exclusives have come out.

Actually after listening to the Weekend Confirmed podcast I would say the 3DS would be the console to get.

Does someone want to buy it for me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I had enough of mario games after galaxy 2... what else does it play sports merde? Nintendo sucks guys I love looking back with rose tinted glasses but they just keep rolling out the same few titles year after year.

I had enough of mario games after galaxy 2... what else does it play sports merde? Nintendo sucks guys I love looking back with rose tinted glasses but they just keep rolling out the same few titles year after year.

I strongly disagree with you.

Nintendo are one of the most if not most innovative developers out there.

They have a legacy of games that they are somehow still able to keep fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You can disagree all you like, its a kids toy and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

mm, okay and the ps360 is what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So are videogames. Even if they have an 15-18 rating at the front stuff like CoD and GTA are still ultimately childish. There's more maturity in most nintendo games.

That is one odd way of looking at it.

What games do you play that you think are better than Nintendo titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

tok9 wrote: »
    That is one odd way of looking at it.

What games do you play that you think are better than Nintendo titles?

I dont see Wii U as kids toy, but for some people it might be a shock, that not all people Would suck off a Mario if he would pop out of screen. I personally could not care less about Mario/Zelda games and I cant understand why those games get so much praise and love.

• Advertisement

The Zelda games get so much love because they have been consistently fantastic. I understand if you don't like a certain game or types of game but you surely can see why they get so much praise?

I don't like Red Dead Redemption, its boring. But I understand why it gets so much praise and why so many others love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The system is a bit of a flop atm, but I think by Christmas when parents need to buy a new console and their budget won't stretch as fars as the big two then a lot of Wii U systems will be sold.

The system is a bit of a flop atm, but I think by Christmas when parents Dans need to buy a new console and their budget won't stretch as fars as the big two then a lot of Wii U systems will be sold.

fixed that for ya :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I do not understand of the mentality of some people when nintendo is brought up its a kids toy , news flash videogames are very much for children in general more than adults. The games are styled so everyone can play and rightly should. To say is a kids is very close minded because on how a game is styled , there more challenge and deep thoughtful Gameplay mechanics in most nintendo games than you find from other developers.

Its also quite frustrating to hear when nintendo is brought up in a discussion is the only games that are mentioned are mario and zelda , I too dont really care for mario games but there are far own great ips they have and bring out than just those two.

For instance there is kirby, metroid, xenoblade, sin and punishment , punch out, fire emblem, smash brothers, mario kart Etc...

If people refuse to enjoy things because it looks kiddy then you are just hurting yourselves in the end

Studio ghibli movies are some of my favourite movies of all time , I am not going to go out and not watch them because they are cartoons

Bro shooters do not also make you any more of a man nor grown up than someone who enjoys wind waker it actually makes you more childish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

My plans have changed. I'm going to buy a Wii U in December. There definitely are enough titles to justify owning it and to keep me entertained for other games, and for the other systems to bring out the good games. I had been thinking to wait till that X game or Bayonetta 2 come out, but nah, I don't have a whole lot of time for gaming, but I'll have some over Christmas. And when I go back to a slump of not playing as much, well I can see it taking me quite a while to get through the games I'll want.

Obviously, Super Mario 3D World will be a purchase. I'm going to get Wind Waker HD too. It has been quite a while since I played it, so it is definitely worth buying. I'd also be thinking about getting Wonderful 101 and Monster Hunter. Might end up getting Assassin's Creed 4 on the Wii U too. Not all at once, mind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I do not understand of the mentality of some people when nintendo is brought up its a kids toy , news flash videogames are very much for children in general more than adults.

Definitely don't agree with that. While there are definitely games aimed at younger audiences, more teenagers and adults play games then kids. Isn't the average age of gamers 30 (or somewhere around that)?

Mario games are designed for people who like games. Age shouldn't matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kiith wrote: »
    Definitely don't agree with that. While there are definitely games aimed at younger audiences, more teenagers and adults play games then kids. Isn't the average age of gamers 30 (or somewhere around that)?

That figure is thrown around all the time but the fact that it excluded anyone under the age of 18 is always left out. Kids and teenagers make up the majority of the market.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Really? It excludes anyone under 18? Ha, how is that even possible. Surely you can't do a study on an average age, and then leave out the (apparent) majority of people? Seem, well, utterly pointless.

Better stop thinking i'm just an average 30 year old gamer then :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    Really? It excludes anyone under 18? Ha, how is that even possible. Surely you can't do a study on an average age, and then leave out the (apparent) majority of people? Seem, well, utterly pointless.

Better stop thinking i'm just an average 30 year old gamer then :pac:

It probably wasn't a study about the average age of gamers but people just took that figure and ran with it. Happens all the time, journalists not actually understanding what a scientific paper is really about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Is it worth cancelling a xbox one pre order? Have a 360 and I'm seeing no point in upgrading at the moment. Was all excited but lack of Xbox one only games and the fact that the 360 is still going strong is making me think twice. Wait a few months, let the price drop and the games list get bigger seems like the sensible thing to do. The Wii U is at a nice price now, £219 on amazon with a game.

I see no reason to get either next gen console right now. Titanfall is out on one in March and I think it will be the first game that I actually can't wait to play that will be considerably better on One. I can play everything else on 360.

The New Mario game is getting absolute rave reviews. Out next week.

Advertisement