Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Wii U the next gen console to get this Christmas?

Options
  • 15-11-2013 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this, the One and PS4 aren't really going to shine for at least another year by that time gamers will have missed out on some great Nintendo titles.
    Considering you can pick up a Pro Wii U console with a game for about €250 new is it time to go re-look at the U?

Most of the top titles on the One & PS4 are available on the current 360 & PS3 and as there's no backwards comparability what's the rush in going for Microsoft or Sony's current offering.

Mario 3d looks like it could be one of the best games of the year, are we all missing a trick by ignoring Nintendo's budget friendly console this Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm not sure for this Christmas, personally. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the first of the three I end up getting, but it'll be some time next year, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If I had the cash, it's the one that I'd pick up first (out of the three).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've been thinking about this, the One and PS4 aren't really going to shine for at least another year by that time gamers will have missed out on some great Nintendo titles.
    Considering you can pick up a Pro Wii U console with a game for about €250 new is it time to go re-look at the U?

What top titles are there though? Genuine question, as there doesn't seem to be much available for it. No Zelda is a big one (I know WW is there, but no new one) for me.

Kiith wrote: »
    What top titles are there though? Genuine question, as there doesn't seem to be much available for it. No Zelda is a big one (I know WW is there, but no new one) for me.
    New Super Mario Bros U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Wonderful 101. There'll be Super Mario 3D World soon enough. All highly rated games. The big games to me will be that code name X game and Bayonetta 2... They aren't out till next year, though.

Those, plus Wind Waker for me.

Mainly New Super Mario 3D World, though. Look like that will be the Wii U's killer app.

• Advertisement

Is that X game the sequel (or successor) to Xenoblade? Cause that's a game that would make me buy the console in an instant.

Yep. Looks great. No word on an exact release date yet though.

Yeah, that's when i'll probably buy it. As much as i love Mario, the other games above wouldn't quite make it a definite purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Wii u is a seriously great piece of kit. Should be everyone's second console

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Pushtrak wrote: »
    quite good

Understatement of the decade

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

If you own 1 TV and don't live alone or with someone who always wants to play Co-Op with you, you need the Wii U. Off TV play is one of those things that, like smart phones and broadband and Sky+ and flushing toilets, we'll look back in 10 years and wonder what people did before it.

Don't forget Online Multiplayer Wii Sports Tennis and Bowling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Yes its worth the purchase now since its going to take sony and microsoft a full year to get going themselves.

as of right now you have nsmb u and luigi u. lego city undercover, monster hunter, zombi u , nintendoland, pikmin 3, mario 3d world, zelda wind waker hd and wonderful 101.

then coming next year you have donkey kong, mario kart, super smash bros u , bayonetta 2 , xenoblade 2

Always worth owning a wii u for a secondary console , the games are just too good to pass up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've just got myself a 3ds and enjoying it immesnely. Having had my differences recently with MS and loving PS plus i will be getting a PS4 in a year so but am seriously considering a Wii U for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Zombie U is great if you like the genre. Really immersive and great fun. You really have to play it though to get the feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It is actually a good console and not just compared to the terrible Wii but compared to ps3 and 360.

But it's not next gen, not even close. If you are getting it because the others don't have a decent library I would think twice it also has a pretty bad library and very limit future.

Spend the money and get a ps4 it is outstanding.

It is actually a good console and not just compared to the terrible Wii but compared to ps3 and 360.
    The Wii wouldn't work as a one console system. It was great as a second or third console though.
    If you are getting it because the others don't have a decent library I would think twice it also has a pretty bad library and very limit future.
    There have been a fair few games listed that are out now or nearly out. That will not be the end of worthwhile titles on the Wii U.
    Spend the money and get a ps4 it is outstanding.
    It is or it will be? I really don't see a compelling case for it 'is' but I'd definitely get behind 'will be'.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

If you don't have one already, yes :) I got mine on launch last year and it's been well worth it.

Getting a PS4 in two weeks myself, but I'm still not too sure why. I just like having the newest gadgets I guess.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

abbir wrote: »
    If you don't have one already, yes :) I got mine on launch last year and it's been well worth it.

What have you got for it? I'm considering getting one but really just holding out until the next proper Mario/Zelda arrives.

I've never played a Monster Hunter before. Anyone care to share their thoughts on MH3U?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I don't have one yet but I can't recommend Pikmin enough. The first game was an absolute gem and I'm positive pikmin 3 is even better. The wind waker is a great Zelda also, remake or not. Mario 3d world thingy is out in a couple of weeks too and that looks pretty good.

The library isn't full enough for me yet, but I'm sure given another year, it will warrant a purchase.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Oh no question, the Wii U is the one to get from the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Parawind

As someone who should be getting a PS4 at launch (*touches wood*), I can honestly say that I am still more excited about Super Mario 3D World arriving on the 29th.

Certainly until at least March next year, there isn't much on PS4 or Xbox one (that you can't get on current gen) worth getting excited about.

Also Earthbound!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Oh no question, the Wii U is the one to get from the 3.

Is it worth cancelling a xbox one pre order? Have a 360 and I'm seeing no point in upgrading at the moment. Was all excited but lack of Xbox one only games and the fact that the 360 is still going strong is making me think twice. Wait a few months, let the price drop and the games list get bigger seems like the sensible thing to do. The Wii U is at a nice price now, £219 on amazon with a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I personally think that people are a bit deluded if they think that prices of next gen consoles will drop in few month. Xbox ONE - very slim maybe, but I really doubt PS4 will. Wii U is strugling to sell a few Wii Us and look how long it took them to drop price just a little bit. retailers droped price even sooner for Wii U, because of Nintendo not making any cuts.
    Next gen is being sold out, there is demand, no way there will be price drop. If you plan on buying next gen console in 1-2 years, then maybe there will be stronger chance of price drop.
    If anyone does not want to buy new console, then its their right and its totally legit decision. Its just people need to be realistic on the price drops. If you ask me, I better buy it now and enjoy multiplatform games on a lot better quality, then waiting for a year to save 50eu and still be playing on ps3/360. ( Well I would be playing on PC mainly, and still will. :pac: )

As for Wii U - I sort of want one, but not as much as I wanted it few months ago. I was a pure junky of MH3 on 3DS. So I REALLY wanted a proper online with MH3 on Wii U. I got 90h played on 3ds and I am a bit burned out at this stage. The cross play is on PS4, so Wii Us cross play is not needed anymore. I could not give two shiets about Mario and Zelda so that already makes Wii Us library tiny for me.
    MH4 is out for 3ds in Japan, Hopefully it will be out here soon too. So no point buying Wii U once more. If they will make MH4 for Wii in West, then getting Wii U will be more important then getting Xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The price has got better today, Smyths dropped the price down to €249.99 and there's a €12 off voucher good until the 18th https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/493358/280217.pdf

So a Wii U for €237.99 ?

I played a Wii U for the first time today in Gamestop in Limerick (NSMBU).
    Now I want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Quick question on the wiiU, if I have a Wii and a whole bunch of virtual console titles, can I redownload them on the WiiU?

Thinking of grabbing a WiiU and really like the idea of being able to play super metroid on the couch while the housemates watch tv or whatnot. I don't fancy buying 20+ vc games again to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Yeah I gave it a quick google and search but asking someone who has the console at home and has tried already seemed the best option. I've been stung before :D

Edit: yeah this seems to be what I feared. You can only transfer the games themselves not redownload them onto the new system. Means I'd have to sort out which games to leave on the Wii (so I can use Gamecube ports for multiplayer etc) and which to transfer over. Damn it.
    Wonder what the chances are Nintendo start doing a cross buy system like PS+. oh well. Not the end of the world but a little annoying.

Bomberman 94 on the Wii for example I can play 5 player multiplayer by having a wii remote and 4 Cube Pads connected. If I transfer that over I get to play it on the gamepad but without the cube ports need to start buying extra remotes.

Advertisement