Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shannon opened before Cork and was built where it was built for a reason. In times before very large planes, smaller planes used to land in Shannon to refuel as Shannon is one of the last airports in Europe before America.

It was also a legacy of the flying boats landing in the Shannon estuary and unloading in Foynes. But Foynes lost out when the land based airport moved upstream to where Shannon airport is now leaving Foynes a shadow of its cosmopolitan past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It was also a legacy of the flying boats landing in the Shannon estuary and unloading in Foynes. But Foynes lost out when the land based airport moved upstream to where Shannon airport is now leaving Foynes a shadow of its cosmopolitan past.

Flying boats, I'd loved to have seen them.
    Personally I'd be quite happy to see the return of the Cork Dublin flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

54kroc wrote: »
    Flying boats, I'd loved to have seen them.
    Personally I'd be quite happy to see the return of the Cork Dublin flight.

Is that for just flying between both cities or are you connecting with flights in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I see the Ryanair flight to East Midlands is gone now too. Is that a seasonal thing or permanent?

Also, Aer Lingus taking over the Newcastle flights is a joke, way more expensive than Jet2 ever were.

I'll be flying out of Dublin a lot more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

The problem with anyone starting a Cork/Dublin route, is that Ryanair will probably, once again, come in behind them with the same route until such time as they close them down and then cease their own flights. They have done this many times in Cork to other airlines like aer arann and whizz air, where they duplicate the same routes at a lower cost until they squeeze them out, then they move their own operations to shannon where costs are lower or simply cut them completely. Even on short haul holiday destinations ryanair only fly to destinations that were already covered by air lingus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I see the Ryanair flight to East Midlands is gone now too. Is that a seasonal thing or permanent?

Also, Aer Lingus taking over the Newcastle flights is a joke, way more expensive than Jet2 ever were.

I'll be flying out of Dublin a lot more now.

You sure that's Aer Lingus and not Stobart Air?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

razorblunt wrote: »
    You sure that's Aer Lingus and not Stobart Air?
    Its an aer lingus route being flown by aer lingus regional and operated by stobart air!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/10/07/ryanair-announce-cork-airport-summer-schedule/

Ryanair announced its summer schedule. I dont notice anything new though.

The 18 routes Ryanair will operate from Cork next summer are:

Alicante 2 x weekly
    Bordeaux 2 x weekly
    Carcassonne 2 x weekly
    Faro 4 x weekly
    Fuerteventura 1 x weekly
    Gdansk 2 x weekly
    Girona 2 x weekly
    Gran Canaria 1 x weekly
    Lanzarote 3 x weekly
    Liverpool 5 x weekly
    London Gatwick 1 x daily
    London Stansted 3 x daily
    Malaga 4 x weekly
    Milan 2 x weekly
    Palma 2 x weekly
    Pisa 2 x weekly
    Tenerife 1 x weekly
    Wroclaw 3 x weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Balmed Out wrote: »
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/10/07/ryanair-announce-cork-airport-summer-schedule/

Ryanair announced its summer schedule. I dont notice anything new though.

The 18 routes Ryanair will operate from Cork next summer are:

Alicante 2 x weekly
    Bordeaux 2 x weekly
    Carcassonne 2 x weekly
    Faro 4 x weekly
    Fuerteventura 1 x weekly
    Gdansk 2 x weekly
    Girona 2 x weekly
    Gran Canaria 1 x weekly
    Lanzarote 3 x weekly
    Liverpool 5 x weekly
    London Gatwick 1 x daily
    London Stansted 3 x daily
    Malaga 4 x weekly
    Milan 2 x weekly
    Palma 2 x weekly
    Pisa 2 x weekly
    Tenerife 1 x weekly
    Wroclaw 3 x weekly

Yea that's a reduced list from 2014. They have dropped East Midlands.

At the end of the month they are also moving Cork - Vilnius to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

There was a good interview on local radio with one of Ryanair's executives yesterday, he explained that as second cities go, Cork is the most expensive second city in europe for Ryanair to operate from, with identical charges to Dublin airport, He said it costs them on average €25 in airport charges for every individual passenger that they deliver to Cork. He also gave the impression that in his opinion Cork would certainly continue to decline on an ongoing basis with its current structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

They also dropped Reus.

If this theme continues I can see Shannon overtaking Cork as Ireland's second biggest airport. Action is needed. The situation is getting worse every year

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Yea Shannon is set to overtake Cork again next year and the second busiest airport.
    Ryanair said they'd bring extra flights to Shannon if it was made independent and had lower charges. They have been true to their word.
    They have already moved two Polish flights from Cork to Shannon and will also move the Lithuanian flight.
    Their marketing guy said Cork will continue to decline while it is tied to the DAA charging the same landing fees as Dublin.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2014/10/08/ryanair-cork/

I always thought that the 3 main airports in Ireland should have been Dublin,Cork and Knock.The distance between Dublin-Knock and Dublin-Cork is almost the same,it almost forms the perfect triangle on the map.Knock would accomodate the west/north west of Ireland far better that what Shannon does.Imagine having to travel to Shannon or Dublin from the north of Donegal.

Having 2 main airports in Munster that are 77 miles apart makes no sense,with the airport in the area with the greater population now dying a death.What were the government who let this happen thinking,when opening Shannon.

Passenger numbers for 2013 is also a joke,Dublin-20.2m,Cork-2.2m and Shannon-1.4m

Having Dublin 9 and 14 times respectively,busier than 2nd and 3rd cant be a good thing in the long run.Its also kind of ironic that the airport which is the gateway to the nicest part of the country,the south/south west region,is left to turn into a ghost town.

The sweetheart deal that Shannon got of €300 million screwed over both Knock and Cork. Shannon without debt can now undercharge to scab passengers off Cork and Knock.

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/utility/news_archive_details.aspx?id=308

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/ireland-west-airport-knock-future-827907-Mar2013/

It is stated government policy to keep Shannon open at the expense of Knock. Following that i expect they also encourage movements of routes from Cork to Shannon to justify the massive bailout they were given.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/leaked-report-forecasts-3000-new-jobs-at-shannon-within-five-years-28941979.html

Politicians here did raise concerns and threatened to take the government to the european courts. What did surprise me was the lack of response from cork, its looked like many turned a blind eye to what was happening before there eyes. The lack of support for Cork airport by Cork people really surprised me.
    http://www.clare.fm/news/mcsharry-refuses-request-withdraw-shannon-airport-complaint

The decline in Cork is a direct response to the deal given to shannon by Nonnan and Leo. Cork will decline further when the M20 is finished as Shannon will have cheaper flights due to there bailout.

To respond to your post yes Cork, Knock and Dublin are in the right position. Take the road from Cork to Letterkenny Cork, Shannon and Kerry airports are all in the first quarter distance of that route. With an existing massive Shannon lobby in government and 100's of millions already pumped in to Shannon just to keep it open they will not change their mind to easily.

They will do whatever it takes to keep Shannon open and thats very bad news for the future of Cork airport and its surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Bordeaux and Carcassonne were 3x weekly last summer and I think there may have been flights to La Rochelle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

corkonion wrote: »
    There was a good interview on local radio with one of Ryanair's executives yesterday, he explained that as second cities go, Cork is the most expensive second city in europe for Ryanair to operate from, with identical charges to Dublin airport, He said it costs them on average €25 in airport charges for every individual passenger that they deliver to Cork. He also gave the impression that in his opinion Cork would certainly continue to decline on an ongoing basis with its current structure.

Is this related to the €100m of debt the Cork airport board voted to take on (why????) following the re-organisation a few years back. If they're servicing that debt, perhaps they can't afford to lower the cost of the slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

This is something that Cork people should be protesting about,We will end up losing jobs and investment if Cork airport keeps deteriorating.
    Over 500,000 in Cork county and Cork would be handier option for most of Kerry and Waterford for routes not served in the regional airports.
    Seems either people are unaware that we are loosing out or they just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The sweetheart deal that Shannon got of €300 million screwed over both Knock and Cork. Shannon without debt can now undercharge to scab passengers off Cork and Knock.

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/utility/news_archive_details.aspx?id=308

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/ireland-west-airport-knock-future-827907-Mar2013/

It is stated government policy to keep Shannon open at the expense of Knock. Following that i expect they also encourage movements of routes from Cork to Shannon to justify the massive bailout they were given.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/leaked-report-forecasts-3000-new-jobs-at-shannon-within-five-years-28941979.html

Politicians here did raise concerns and threatened to take the government to the european courts. What did surprise me was the lack of response from cork, its looked like many turned a blind eye to what was happening before there eyes. The lack of support for Cork airport by Cork people really surprised me.
    http://www.clare.fm/news/mcsharry-refuses-request-withdraw-shannon-airport-complaint

The decline in Cork is a direct response to the deal given to shannon by Nonnan and Leo. Cork will decline further when the M20 is finished as Shannon will have cheaper flights due to there bailout.

To respond to your post yes Cork, Knock and Dublin are in the right position. Take the road from Cork to Letterkenny Cork, Shannon and Kerry airports are all in the first quarter distance of that route. With an existing massive Shannon lobby in government and 100's of millions already pumped in to Shannon just to keep it open they will not change their mind to easily.

They will do whatever it takes to keep Shannon open and thats very bad news for the future of Cork airport and its surroundings.

Slowly, but surely Limerick is overtaking Cork as the country's 2nd city and there is little that people in Cork seem to care about this fact.

The treatment of our airport is by far the biggest political issue in this city at present. However, the majority just want to protest about the water meters, an issue which is putting in the shade the whole airport controversy.

I remember a time when people believed an independent Cork Airport could start taking some transatlantic flights away from Shannon. Just look at it now.

This current Fine Gael government has been hugely pro-Limerick and its been to the detriment of Cork. In terms of infrastructure projects, all we've had is the 2 flyover built and we were lucky to get that.

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    This is something that Cork people should be protesting about,We will end up losing jobs and investment if Cork airport keeps deteriorating.
    Over 500,000 in Cork county and Cork would be handier option for most of Kerry and Waterford for routes not served in the regional airports.
    Seems either people are unaware that we are loosing out or they just don't care.

People seem content to keep bleating out the same "The Real Capital" nonsense. Our city council is absolutely inept and our politicians on a national level are completely failing us. Can't say the same about those from Limerick or Galway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fergie24

Cork politicians over the last 20years have been failing Cork badly. The city boundary needs to be chanced for years and the airport is dieing slowly but surely but all you will hear at the next election is fcuking water meters.

Im not sure how all the big multinational companies stay in Cork? Limerick, Clare, Galway would be a better location with more options for transatlantic flights and more European destinations.

fergie24 wrote: »
    Im not sure how all the big multinational companies stay in Cork? Limerick, Clare, Galway would be a better location with more options for transatlantic flights and more European destinations.

Knock plan on re-starting some transatlantic flights next year, you can bet when they do the people of the west north west region will support them to keep them running. They had routes last year but the airline went bust.:(

Cork has a very big population and is completely underselling itself. It should be a dominant force outside Dublin but there appears to be little interest in it for some reason from Cork people :confused:
    If Cork county people alone took some pride in the airport they have on their doorsteps it would easily continue to be the 2nd biggest airport in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I think anybody in Limerick (or south of Limerick) would travel to Shannon Airport instead of Cork, due to the fact that the road between Limerick and Cork is abysmal and possibly dangerous.
    I'm glad to hear that Knock Airport is restarting transatlantic flights- good on them!

Until Cork City and County Councils begin by improving the roads getting to Cork, then Cork Airport will find it hard to survive.
    There have been so many efforts made in upgrading and improving the roads, infrastructure and public transport around the M50, and zilch has been done in Cork.
    I wish the NRA and Cork County Council could take the drive through Buttevant to Charleville and then the dreaded Mallow road to Cork - it would bring tears to your eyes.....and to the suspension in your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Cork has a very big population and is completely underselling itself. It should be a dominant force outside Dublin but there appears to be little interest in it for some reason from Cork people :confused:
    If Cork county people alone took some pride in the airport they have on their doorsteps it would easily continue to be the 2nd biggest airport in the country.

I'm confused about how I (and all Cork people) showing interest/pride in the airport would matter in the slightest?

I do show an interest...I follow it on twitter :-)

I do take pride in the fact that it is a very easy pleasurable airport to travel from (coz it is so quite).

Surely economics matter more than interest and pride though.

Ludo wrote: »
    I'm confused about how I (and all Cork people) showing interest/pride in the airport would matter in the slightest?

I do show an interest...I follow it on twitter :-)

I do take pride in the fact that it is a very easy pleasurable airport to travel from (coz it is so quite).

Surely economics matter more than interest and pride though.

Of course it would matter. The average Cork man on the street doesn't seem to care about the airport and yet at the same time, we are getting mass protest about bloody water charges.

In the grand scheme of things, the airport is one of the most important pieces of infrastructure for the city, county and the south of Ireland yet here we are, protesting about an issue which will be railroaded through no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

...yet at the same time, we are getting mass protest about bloody water charges.

What? Mass protests? 15 Shinners does not count as a mass protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Priced some flights to Newcastle last night. €180 before bag charges or anything. Unbelievable.

Most I ever paid for a return with Jet2 was €80 and that was for Christmas.

Ludo wrote: »
    What? Mass protests? 15 Shinners does not count as a mass protest.

That's 15 more than who are protesting about the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Cork is being screwed by the lack of infrastructural development.
    See here for article on a new, yes new Government agency which is only about developing Limerick and Shannon. Yes thats right the one semi state agency now control a lot of property in the Mid West and Shannon Airport so not only does Shannon Airport get away with over a €100 Million worth of debt it also gets to have a huge rent roll from all the commercial property around Shannon and Limerick, offer it for nothing to multi nationals and use the surplus to run the Airport charging the airlines a big ZERO for each passenger.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/half-of-shannon-group-properties-lie-empty-290725.html

Cork is being rightly screwed. Add in the annual subsidy to Kerry and Waterford Airports and effectively the Governments aviation policy seems to want screw Cork so we can never compete with Shannon Airport.
    Add in everything else in relation to recent inward investments being told (and possibly big grants) to locate in Limerick, other moneys being thrown at Limerick Regeneration, the OPW being told to buy the Opera centre site in Limerick City and give it for free to Limerick Council, the decisions in relation to Munster Rugby (training academy and playing base), HQ of Munster GAA in Limerick, the huge funding from the European Investment Bank for UofL and Limerick 2030 strategy and you begin to see how absolutely useless our politicians are when it comes to standing up and fighting for infrastructural investment in Cork.
    The politicians in Limerick just do a much better job of it and fair dues to them.

Cork is by far and away Irelands second city. Our Cork City population is greater than Limerick, Galway and Waterford combined and with the huge contribution we make to the taxman, our GDP and GVA per head of population and our employment and industry base being excellent we should be getting a lot more return from the investment we give to the taxman than we actually get.

Unfortunately our pathetic ability to deal with even a simple task of the extension to the city boundary so that the total population of the City can be reflected in the official statistics tells us everything we need to know about our politicians. I know a lengthy rant but it is going to hurt us in the near future. We have been lucky so far because of the Pharma industry and the IT industry.
    What is the Government policy for the development of Ireland's second city?
    Please stop lumping us in with all the other "regional" cities.

rebs23 wrote: »
    Cork is being screwed by the lack of infrastructural development.
    See here for article on a new, yes new Government agency which is only about developing Limerick and Shannon. Yes thats right the one semi state agency now control a lot of property in the Mid West and Shannon Airport so not only does Shannon Airport get away with over a €100 Million worth of debt it also gets to have a huge rent roll from all the commercial property around Shannon and Limerick, offer it for nothing to multi nationals and use the surplus to run the Airport charging the airlines a big ZERO for each passenger.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/half-of-shannon-group-properties-lie-empty-290725.html

Cork is being rightly screwed. Add in the annual subsidy to Kerry and Waterford Airports and effectively the Governments aviation policy seems to want screw Cork so we can never compete with Shannon Airport.
    Add in everything else in relation to recent inward investments being told (and possibly big grants) to locate in Limerick, other moneys being thrown at Limerick Regeneration, the OPW being told to buy the Opera centre site in Limerick City and give it for free to Limerick Council, the decisions in relation to Munster Rugby (training academy and playing base), HQ of Munster GAA in Limerick, the huge funding from the European Investment Bank for UofL and Limerick 2030 strategy and you begin to see how absolutely useless our politicians are when it comes to standing up and fighting for infrastructural investment in Cork.
    The politicians in Limerick just do a much better job of it and fair dues to them.

Cork is by far and away Irelands second city. Our Cork City population is greater than Limerick, Galway and Waterford combined and with the huge contribution we make to the taxman, our GDP and GVA per head of population and our employment and industry base being excellent we should be getting a lot more return from the investment we give to the taxman than we actually get.

Unfortunately our pathetic ability to deal with even a simple task of the extension to the city boundary so that the total population of the City can be reflected in the official statistics tells us everything we need to know about our politicians. I know a lengthy rant but it is going to hurt us in the near future. We have been lucky so far because of the Pharma industry and the IT industry.

Here, here.

Cork is substantially larger than either Limerick, Galway or Waterford and should be prioritised complete differently than the other 3.

I simply cannot workout why Limerick is getting such investment. It cannot just be better politicians ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Are we ever going to see a commitment from the Government to a non-Dublin-centric transport infrastructure? The Cork - Limerick road is still fairly awful in parts. The train route between Cork and Limerick is a big dog-leg via Limerick Junction (I'm a Munster rugby fan, but often give the Limerick games a miss; the thought of a 2 hour train journey often with a wait freezing my ass off in Limerick Junction mid-winter). Some might argue the demand isn't there, but I say people don't make the journey as often because it's a painful journey. A Cork-Limerick motorway and/or direct rail-link would induce a lot more people to make the journey.

Then start looking at the sports stadia.. Dublin has Croke Park, Lansdowne Rd. and even the RDS (probably) which are better than any stadium here, Limerick has Thomond and the Gaelic Grounds. Even Thurles probably has a better stadium than Cork. The revamped PUC will rectify that greatly - assuming it happens - though many are questioning the need for it. :rolleyes:

What is it? Lack of effort from our representatives? Too many local objections to change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

rebs23 wrote: »
    Cork is being screwed by the lack of infrastructural development.....

Some excellent points - there is a serious lack of investment in proper infrastructure development and urban planning in Cork. When you think about it as a the second city in a country the size of Ireland, there's no reason we shouldn't be on a par with similar European cities like Eindhoven, Bruges, Gothenburg, Porto, Liverpool, Geneva etc.

The airport i would say is functioning at 40% of it's potential if even that, which is a shame because if they did get new routes and actively started pushing Cork as a business and tourism destination then it would be of benefit to the entire southern region. We should have a proper corridor from Cork out to Waterford, Killarney and even up as far as Limerick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement