Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of new routes at Cork airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Andip wrote: »
    daa dont have any involvement in Shannon so why would that concern them ?

Government influence presumably. What's your take on the reason why Cork Airport hasn't yet been granted full independence and yet Shannon has ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Coveney is the highest ranking politician from Cork and he looks next to useless.

The DAA aren't going to hand over control of Cork Airport as it might hurt Shannon. The whole situation is an absolute mess.

Another way to look at it is if the DAA give Cork airport too much control then Cork airport becomes a threat to Dublin Airport's passenger numbers.How could they pay back the €600m for T2.

Just heard on the radio now that the Cork Chamber of Commerce are now calling for the Cork-Dublin route to be restarted.It would be good for connecting flights from Dublin they said.Unbelievable.:rolleyes:

Another way to look at it is if the DAA give Cork airport too much control then Cork airport becomes a threat to Dublin Airport's passenger numbers.How could they pay back the €600m for T2.

Just heard on the radio now that the Cork Chamber of Commerce are now calling for the Cork-Dublin route to be restarted.It would be good for connecting flights from Dublin they said.Unbelievable.:rolleyes:

On that basis, what was the point in giving Shannon independence ? I can't believe that none of the multinationals aren't kicking up a stink about all this.

On that basis, what was the point in giving Shannon independence ? I can't believe that none of the multinationals aren't kicking up a stink about all this.

They are.Read back a few posts/pages on this thread.

What the Chamber are saying today is get the Cork-Dublin route back and we can fly anywhere from there.Shur let the tumbleweed blow around Cork airport.Bunch of Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Im well aware of that but you know what I mean.eg Would it not be handier for Kerry people to fly out of Cork rather than Dublin.

not really, Aer Lingus Regional connect Kerry to Dublin for ongoing flights all over Europe and North America

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

DAA Should be forced to split Cork airport from its management.
    There is a lot going for the airport so we should not be in this situation.
    - Only minutes from city centre.
    - Serving a county of over 500,000
    - Large multinationals operating near by.
    - A large modern terminal.

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    DAA Should be forced to split Cork airport from its management.
    There is a lot going for the airport so we should not be in this situation.
    - Only minutes from city centre.
    - Serving a county of over 500,000
    - Large multinationals operating near by.
    - A large modern terminal.

The airport itself could easily be supporting transatlantic flights too. I'm amazed it hasn't happened already considering the multinational presence in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

Only in Ireland does this sort of crap happen.

Farce #1 politicians divert people to an airport with a lower population for no apparent reason other than politics.

Farce #2 our main airports aren't served by rail, despite spending hundreds of millions on terminals.

Farce #3 if Cork Chamber of Commerce think the solution is a link to Dublin, why not link to London where there are even more flights and it's the same distance away? Or Schiphol for that matter? In fact, why not move the businesses to Dublin... oh wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I wish the Dublin cork flight was still there for the all Ireland with this threatened rail strike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

shnaek wrote: »
    Only in Ireland does this sort of crap happen.

Farce #1 politicians divert people to an airport with a lower population for no apparent reason other than politics.

Farce #2 our main airports aren't served by rail, despite spending hundreds of millions on terminals.

Farce #3 if Cork Chamber of Commerce think the solution is a link to Dublin, why not link to London where there are even more flights and it's the same distance away? Or Schiphol for that matter? In fact, why not move the businesses to Dublin... oh wait....

well to be fair we are already linked to London and Amsterdam, but I agree with your other points.

I think the Cork-Dublin flight is a short sighted solution to a long term problem, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

This Cork / Dublin flight will hardly ever be reinstated considering all these regulations regarding being at the airport 2 hours before your flight and not been able to bring your chosen beverage onto the plane.

In that 2 hours you could have left home in Cork and be on the M7 by Naas,or even further, then the flexibility of having your own transport in Dublin. There is no time saving whatsoever unless of course you are getting a connecting flight at Dublin.

Of course DAA would like this route reinstated as they would take US bound passengers from Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

kub wrote: »
    Of course DAA would like this route reinstated as they would take US bound passengers from Shannon.

Somewhat valid points, I think it's 3/4hr now for boarding [at least it is for some Ryanair flights].

A regional service should be just that, a literal hop on, hop off [mindful of the plane of course :)] and the possibility of taking from so over packed trains, must have some potential ????

Speed used be the reason I flew Dublin to Cork in the last century but speed advantage, as you say, is not there anymore.

They took most of the Ryanair flights and routes that were introduced in 2011/12.

5FcGsg0.png

makes depressing reading.

Thanks for posting that but I have to query are those Shannon figures including all the diverted flights which landed there instead of Cork & Dublin during the stormy winter weather that year. The long runway at Shannon namely runway 24 was about the only runway in this island that planes could land on during those high winds.
    Also quite a few UK flights were also diverted there because of snow storms if I remember correctly.
    But if it makes them happy to claim incorrect figures let them off, it is their own credibility which they are damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

For economical Cork to US flights the runway would need to be longer. It can take large aircraft but only with reduced fuel or cargo or passenger loads. The less full the plane, the more expensive it is to run of course. United Airlines were rumoured to be looking into it but again the runway needs to be longer.

What Cork needs is more European routes. I'd love to see TA routes to the US and Canada but the runway just won't hold that. In that sense I would see no big problem with connecting flights to Dublin. Think of it this way - Cork loses out on US visitors because it is not easy to get to Cork unless you're flying to London from where you can get to Cork easily. Imagine being a US tourist and booking your flight and you can see that you can fly to Cork, albeit through Dublin. It makes your trip a whole lot easier. It also ensures more people will go through Cork, albeit for flights which then leave from Dublin. Apparently the demand isn't there though. How could it be made? There must be some way...

I love how quiet and easy to get through Cork is and as long as there are connections to London and Schiphol you can reach the world from Cork. Ideally though you want the rest of the world to find it easier to get to Cork. With the present arrangements that won't happen.

Airport management are meeting 15 airlines in Chicago next month.Possibility of a transatlantic route starting up.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/analysis/declining-cork-airport-needs-new-direction-284203.html

Fabio wrote: »
    For economical Cork to US flights the runway would need to be longer. It can take large aircraft but only with reduced fuel or cargo or passenger loads. The less full the plane, the more expensive it is to run of course. United Airlines were rumoured to be looking into it but again the runway needs to be longer.

What Cork needs is more European routes. I'd love to see TA routes to the US and Canada but the runway just won't hold that. In that sense I would see no big problem with connecting flights to Dublin. Think of it this way - Cork loses out on US visitors because it is not easy to get to Cork unless you're flying to London from where you can get to Cork easily. Imagine being a US tourist and booking your flight and you can see that you can fly to Cork, albeit through Dublin. It makes your trip a whole lot easier. It also ensures more people will go through Cork, albeit for flights which then leave from Dublin. Apparently the demand isn't there though. How could it be made? There must be some way...

I love how quiet and easy to get through Cork is and as long as there are connections to London and Schiphol you can reach the world from Cork. Ideally though you want the rest of the world to find it easier to get to Cork. With the present arrangements that won't happen.

Not strictly true in regards to transatlantic routes. It's true the widebodies like 767, 777, A330 aren't able to take off fully laden, but on marginal routes (which Cork would be) Airlines are using 757s which are can operate fully from Cork. Aer Lingus, Delta and United all use them on transatlantic routes from Ireland.

Airport management are meeting 15 airlines in Chicago next month.Possibility of a transatlantic route starting up.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/analysis/declining-cork-airport-needs-new-direction-284203.html

'Meeting with airliners THAT COULD start a transatlantic service', that is not saying much.

I had to laugh at Michael Martins' comments, the poor man has a bad memory, his government got that terminal built with a promise that the debt would not affect Cork airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

according to the evening echo Cork Dublin route could be returning in April operated by stobart

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't know if I've said it on this thread or not, but Cork needs to follow the lead of Edinburgh Airport, which is growing at an alarming rate, last 18 months has seen flights to Philadelphia, Toronto, Chicago, Newark, Middle East.

Edinburgh...have you any articles on that actually, be an interesting read?

• Advertisement

Not strictly true in regards to transatlantic routes. It's true the widebodies like 767, 777, A330 aren't able to take off fully laden, but on marginal routes (which Cork would be) Airlines are using 757s which are can operate fully from Cork. Aer Lingus, Delta and United all use them on transatlantic routes from Ireland.

I stand corrected, 757s could easily do TA services at MTOW alright.

according to the evening echo Cork Dublin route could be returning in April operated by stobart

This could be the death of the airport.Shur we'll cancel the few routes that are left and get all connecting flights from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fabio wrote: »
    Edinburgh...have you any articles on that actually, be an interesting read?

Don't really have anything to hand, but this site looks like it has a collection of news stories:

http://www.airportwatch.org.uk/?page_id=5422

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-27780263

Looks like they're launching a daily flight to Abu Dhabi in 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What is the function of a Dublin to Cork route? is it subsidised? Surely in line with environmental protection the state instead focus on a radical improvement of the Dublin-Cork railway line which can deliver journey times faster than flying, centre to centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

That's fine if Dublin is your destination. I have to fly quite a bit for work, often to regional cities, and being able to connect with flights would be incredibly handy rather than long waits for connecting flights in Amsterdam/Frankfurt/Heathrow. I think most business fliers would be the same. I would take a flight connecting in Dublin over having to get the train/bus or drive to Dublin airport any day. But that's just my personal opinion, I would be delighted if they brought back the connection to Dublin.

As to the argument it will stop development of direct routes, I'm not sure if that'd be the case because there probably isn't the demand to fill a direct flight to many places other than capital cities and the like.

cgcsb wrote: »
    What is the function of a Dublin to Cork route? is it subsidised? Surely in line with environmental protection the state instead focus on a radical improvement of the Dublin-Cork railway line which can deliver journey times faster than flying, centre to centre.

Mainly to funnel through connecting passengers for transatlantic ops from Dublin.

So, after becoming independent of the DAA, Shannon Airport has won European Airport of the year.

And what is going to happen in Cork. Absolutely ****ing nothing. Will still get ruled from Dublin and we'll continue to lose flights. What a ****ing mess.

So, after becoming independent of the DAA, Shannon Airport has won European Airport of the year.

And what is going to happen in Cork. Absolutely ****ing nothing. Will still get ruled from Dublin and we'll continue to lose flights. What a ****ing mess.

Ah the DAA are great, they are now planning a service from Cork to Dublin so that everyone as a previous poster mentioned can just fly to Dublin and transfer up there. Great business idea by DAA.
    I suppose at that rate they might only need to open the airport a few times a day whenever the Dublin flight operates, a bit like back in the 1960's.

I always thought that the 3 main airports in Ireland should have been Dublin,Cork and Knock.The distance between Dublin-Knock and Dublin-Cork is almost the same,it almost forms the perfect triangle on the map.Knock would accomodate the west/north west of Ireland far better that what Shannon does.Imagine having to travel to Shannon or Dublin from the north of Donegal.

Having 2 main airports in Munster that are 77 miles apart makes no sense,with the airport in the area with the greater population now dying a death.What were the government who let this happen thinking,when opening Shannon.

Passenger numbers for 2013 is also a joke,Dublin-20.2m,Cork-2.2m and Shannon-1.4m

Having Dublin 9 and 14 times respectively,busier than 2nd and 3rd cant be a good thing in the long run.Its also kind of ironic that the airport which is the gateway to the nicest part of the country,the south/south west region,is left to turn into a ghost town.

• Advertisement

I always thought that the 3 main airports in Ireland should have been Dublin,Cork and Knock.The distance between Dublin-Knock and Dublin-Cork is almost the same,it almost forms the perfect triangle on the map.Knock would accomodate the west/north west of Ireland far better that what Shannon does.Imagine having to travel to Shannon or Dublin from the north of Donegal.

Having 2 main airports in Munster that are 77 miles apart makes no sense,with the airport in the area with the greater population now dying a death.What were the government who let this happen thinking,when opening Shannon.

Passenger numbers for 2013 is also a joke,Dublin-20.2m,Cork-2.2m and Shannon-1.4m

Having Dublin 9 and 14 times respectively,busier than 2nd and 3rd cant be a good thing in the long run.Its also kind of ironic that the airport which is the gateway to the nicest part of the country,the south/south west region,is left to turn into a ghost town.

Shannon opened before Cork and was built where it was built for a reason. In times before very large planes, smaller planes used to land in Shannon to refuel as Shannon is one of the last airports in Europe before America.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement