Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate (v2) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    John Boy's daughter is a Derry Girl

Yeah, the dopey one, Orla. The mother was a loon in Fair City some years ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

John Boy's daughter is a Derry Girl

She's very good in Derry Girls, but awful in Love/Hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mloc123 wrote: »
    Did the same with bachelor's walk... Showed season 1 and nothing else. Not like they are overflowing with decent content this year.

yeah its a joke and even moreso as RTE were moaning only the other day about struggling to fill their autumn and winter schedules because of the cancellation of shows like Dancing with the Stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,280 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah its a joke and even moreso as RTE were moaning only the other day about struggling to fill their autumn and winter schedules because of the cancellation of shows like Dancing with the Stars.

They might save showing it until January when most people will have forgotten how Series 2 ended and they will try to lure people in to watching it on that stream of piss RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They might save showing it until January when most people will have forgotten how Series 2 ended and they will try to lure people in to watching it on that stream of piss RTE Player.

Part of me wonders if this is a plot to get people on to the player... and its ad revenue.

Show series 1 on TV and get em hooked... you can watch the rest online

• Advertisement

yeah that would a typical RTE move :rolleyes:

iirc seasons 3-5 were 6 episodes each so they could show one episode a week from now until Christmas. That would be too sensible for RTE though.

A mate of mine was recording My Kitchen Rules on RTE1 and there a couple of weeks ago with the whole place on holidays some intern put the wrong tape in the VHS and it skipped from episode 35 one day to episode 45 the following day. 10 episodes just vanished because of their incompetence. She was fuming about it, it ruined the whole series for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She's very good in Derry Girls, but awful in Love/Hate.

Mad that she's a 17/18 year old in Love/Hate, and a 16/17 year old in Derry Girls, filmed eight years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭trashcan

cancellation of shows like Dancing with the Stars.

So the Covid hasn't been entirely in vain then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mad that she's a 17/18 year old in Love/Hate, and a 16/17 year old in Derry Girls, filmed eight years later!

What age is she, mid 20s?

What age is she, mid 20s?

About 28 now I think.

• Advertisement

yeah that would a typical RTE move :rolleyes:

iirc seasons 3-5 were 6 episodes each so they could show one episode a week from now until Christmas. That would be too sensible for RTE though.
    Part of me wonders if this is a plot to get people on to the player... and its ad revenue.

Show series 1 on TV and get em hooked... you can watch the rest online
    Stranger still that all series/episodes are available on the RTE Player on the web, but if I try the build-in RTE Player on my Virgin box, I can only get the most recent episode on catch-up.

Without a smart TV, is there any way to broadcast from the RTE Player on the web to a TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Stranger still that all series/episodes are available on the RTE Player on the web, but if I try the build-in RTE Player on my Virgin box, I can only get the most recent episode on catch-up.

Without a smart TV, is there any way to broadcast from the RTE Player on the web to a TV?

Chromecast? Or HD cable from a laptop.

Chromecast is best though because there are no ads, I assume something to do with Google.

Chromecast? Or HD cable from a laptop.

Chromecast is best though because there are no ads, I assume something to do with Google.

Thanks, but I don't have any option to broadcase to Chromecast from within the RTE Player? It works fine from Videostream, but not from the Player.

Some good news here, I had emailed RTE last week asking why they screened series 1 and 2 and then it just stopped. I said it was like going to watch a movie in the cinema but that you're not allowed to watch the second half.

Anyway they got back to me today- they will be screening seasons 3 to 5 "this autumn" and it should be advertised shortly.

Thanks, but I don't have any option to broadcase to Chromecast from within the RTE Player? It works fine from Videostream, but not from the Player.

Just for any other gobsh1tes like me who were missing the obvious;

1) It is possible to broadcast to Chromecast from the RTE Player on the laptop, if you use Chrome as the browser, and not Brave. However, the casting was a bit iffy for me, with poor quality audio and jumpy picture.

2) It is possible to broadcast to Chromecast from the Player app running on an Android phone, with excellent quality.

Some good news here, I had emailed RTE last week asking why they screened series 1 and 2 and then it just stopped. I said it was like going to watch a movie in the cinema but that you're not allowed to watch the second half.

Anyway they got back to me today- they will be screening seasons 3 to 5 "this autumn" and it should be advertised shortly.

Decided to try the Player last night for Season 3, worked perfectly ??? Very strong opening to season 3, but some of the acting from support characters (Donna, Janet..)is shocking. Nidge is class though.

Decided to try the Player last night for Season 3, worked perfectly ??? Very strong opening to season 3, but some of the acting from support characters (Donna, Janet..)is shocking. Nidge is class though.

yeah its on the Player alright but I've long since given up on using it out of frustration. I dont have a chromecast or smart tv with Player app and it always crashes and buffers for me. Netflix works perfect so its not my internet connection (which itself isnt great).

In any case if the Player did work I know Id just end up binging the entire thing over a week. I binged S1-4 of Better Call Saul but when S5 came along I was forced into watching it week by week as it got released. I actually enjoyed it more watching it that way rather than watching 3 or 4 episodes back to back and them all blurring into each other. I just found that its nice to absorb each episode as it comes and then have something to look forward to a week later. Its horses for courses I suppose.

yeah its on the Player alright but I've long since given up on using it out of frustration. I dont have a chromecast or smart tv with Player app and it always crashes and buffers for me. Netflix works perfect so its not my internet connection (which itself isnt great).

In any case if the Player did work I know Id just end up binging the entire thing over a week. I binged S1-4 of Better Call Saul but when S5 came along I was forced into watching it week by week as it got released. I actually enjoyed it more watching it that way rather than watching 3 or 4 episodes back to back and them all blurring into each other. I just found that its nice to absorb each episode as it comes and then have something to look forward to a week later. Its horses for courses I suppose.

Yeah I was quite happy re-watching Love/Hate week by week, but when RTE stopped showing it, and I couldn't find the DVD Boxset, I resorted to the Player. The version pre-installed on the TV must have been an old version, because when I searched and found a different version, it worked no problem.

Was house bound over the weekend so flew through it, last 2 episodes remaining. It's actually better than I remembered, although there is some very ropey acting at times.

Nidge has to be the best ever TV character on Irish TV. Spot on every time.

One thing I hadn't noticed before was the use of music throughout the show. Some excellent choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hard to think of a better one alright. Absolutely outstanding performance from Tom Vaughan Lawlor.

• Advertisement

Was house bound over the weekend so flew through it, last 2 episodes remaining. It's actually better than I remembered, although there is some very ropey acting at times.

Yeah I noticed the same from S1 and 2, outside of the main cast there are some ropey acting performances from the peripheral characters. For a lot of them back in 2009 it was their first ever tv production so the directors were taking certain risks in casting them. The likes of Donnas character was never that convincing, even the IRA guy Danno had some ropey acting. But on the other hand you had Barry Keoghan playing psycho kid Wayne and he has now gone on to make waves in Hollywood with Dunkirk and Batman.

One thing I hadn't noticed before was the use of music throughout the show. Some excellent choices.

Theres some good tunes in it alright, I can remember using Shazam for the first time during Love Hate a decade ago to find out what artists they were by when I was watching. I love when a series comes with a cracking soundtrack, Breaking Bad was similar and it opened up a good few new artists to me by rewinding the tune and using Shazam on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nidge is a brilliant character I love how him and the wife bounce off each other it can be hilarious at times.

We're up to the end of S3, and really enjoying it. I dreamt I was sending WhatsApp messages to Nidge last night, so maybe I should back off for a while now.

The acting is generally good to very good, but the writing is still brilliant. Moments that I knew were coming still had me jumping off the couch in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭brian_t

Series 3 returns to RTE2 on October 14.

There is an article on Love/Hate in the Magazine section of todays Irish Independent to mark its start 10 years ago.

We finished the full run through last weekend, and it really stands up as excellent quality TV. Still a few shocks and twists that had slipped my mind. Great writing, top performances from Tom Vaughan Lawlor, Charlie Murphy, Peter Cooney, Brian O'Byrne especially - got to be the best thing RTE ever did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

gmisk wrote: »
    Nidge is a brilliant character I love how him and the wife bounce off each other it can be hilarious at times.

Vaughan-Lawlor is absolutely fantastic in the role. I love how he can instantly but somehow seamlessly switch Nidge's demeanour when he's trying to persuade someone to do something for him. The change from best pal to coercion happens so quickly and naturally.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭brian_t

brian_t wrote: »
    Series 3 returns to RTE2 on October 14.

There is an article on Love/Hate in the Magazine section of todays Irish Independent to mark its start 10 years ago.

Series 3 starts at 9.45pm on the 14th.
    Did the same with Bachelor's Walk... Showed season 1 and nothing else. Not like they are overflowing with decent content this year.

Series 2 starts at 10.45pm on the 14th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Season 3 on RTE2 Wednesday at 9:45 pm I just spotted on the guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,210 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Season 3 on RTE2 Wednesday at 9:45 pm I just spotted on the guide.

Any repeat?

• Advertisement

Any repeat?

Try the RTE Player

Advertisement