Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sensation of pressure from Next-Gen?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Nope. Ps3/360 killed the nextgen buzz for me. I'll get it probably in a years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It wasn't really a perfectly fine response, it was totally off topic and responding to an obvious troll. No need for it and it kicked everything off. You were responding to something you perceived was said than was actually said. Nobody actually said there's no point in getting a console if you have a PC (if they did point it out to me) but for some reason you went ahead and addressed that point even though it wasn't made at all thus kicking things off. This unfortunately happens an awful lot. Again people need to think before they post.

Responding to an obvious troll, off topic, no need to reply and perceived something that wasn't said? Are you reading the same thread?
    Agricola wrote: »
    The next gen console stopped being appealing to me since I started PC gaming. I already have a machine that can blow a playstation 4 out of the water so there really isnt much to get excited about graphics wise. I do miss the anticipation I had getting the first PS or the PS2. They were real leaps in technology.
    ..... Plus launch games are rarely any good. I'll get one some time but it'll be a long time
    grizzly wrote: »
    Get a PC, problem solved tongue.png
    gamercfc wrote: »
    I can't afford to upgrade my PC. I have been playing consoles my whole life. That would add to it actually.

Then I wrote:
    Danonino. wrote: »
    This whole get a PC nd you won't need a console is getting old fast.
    Seriously, people buy consoles for the exclusive games. Just using the PS3 as an example: Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Journey, Little Big Planet, Demons Souls. Thats 5 games of the top of my head.

Saying all you need is a PC is nonsense, really. What you really need is every console. Say that instead.

Off topic? In a thread about the next gen consoles replying to previous comments talking about PCs trying to point out that a strong selling point of consoles are the games you cannot play elsewhere. Not processing power. I kicked off nothing. I was simply replying to comments above me. How are they obvious trolls and why is it wrong for me to reply to them. Sure I could have worded it a lot better, but kicking it off? g'way outta it.

If they were Troll posts how am I supposed to know that? I can only go on what is posted. The whole get a PC you won't need a console is getting old, it comes up in nearly every conversation about the next gen. Heck, It popped up twice in this thread before I replied to anything and I simply made my own post. Not trolling. I was only giving a reason to own a console, just like there is a hundred reasons to buy a PC or any gaming platform.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As I said before, read what was actually posted. There's no point arguing if you don't get what's wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't see why anybody would feel pressured to get the next gen consoles. They're the most underwhelming generation of consoles to date I think. Sure the tech has improved but that's mandatory (and the tech is still years behind some other platforms that I'm not allowed to mention apparently). I mean, the gamecube had Super Mario Sunshine with those amazing water effects (and other games), and every playstation has doubled up as something else: Ps1 as the latest tech on gaming at the time + a CD player, wow! Ps2 again as latest gaming tech + one of the earliest and affordable DVD players, holy **** yes! Same deal with PS3 as an affordable blu ray player. The Xbox 1 (the actual first, not XBONE) was kinda the latest 'high end' (HD compatible) gaming console for about a year.

These days with PS4 and XBONE...they're the latest bloatware infested, yearly online subscription fee pieces of outdated junk imo. I know that may seem really harsh but god damn... the playstation hasn't managed to double up as anything else and the XBOX is trying desperately to be WAY more than a gaming console and more of a media hub but modern HDTVs with USB and even internet connections can do half the features it's claiming it'll handle. Oh sure... you can browse SKY HD and Netflix - Nobody watches TV anymore and I can have netflix on my previous gen consoles (and that platform I will not mention).

I'm looking at that ad-cluttered mess that is the Xbox dashboard right now and the undeletable Singstar app under my main game in the PS3's XMB and I just think... this is the future of consoles but way worse. Half expecting there to be a dedicated facebook 'Like' button on next gen controllers. No pressure here at all. I've also luckily never had such an interest in a single exclusive game to even consider buying an entire €400+ console just for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This is the only forum where something similar is actually allowed without punishment. As someone stated, you wouldn't go into other forums and do something similar, would you?

Eh. Really, yes you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I don't see why anybody would feel pressured to get the next gen consoles. They're the most underwhelming generation of consoles to date I think. Sure the tech has improved but that's mandatory (and the tech is still years behind some other platforms that I'm not allowed to mention apparently). I mean, the gamecube had Super Mario Sunshine with those amazing water effects (and other games), and every playstation has doubled up as something else: Ps1 as the latest tech on gaming at the time + a CD player, wow! Ps2 again as latest gaming tech + one of the earliest and affordable DVD players, holy **** yes! Same deal with PS3 as an affordable blu ray player. The Xbox 1 (the actual first, not XBONE) was kinda the latest 'high end' (HD compatible) gaming console for about a year.

These days with PS4 and XBONE...they're the latest bloatware infested, yearly online subscription fee pieces of outdated junk imo. I know that may seem really harsh but god damn... the playstation hasn't managed to double up as anything else and the XBOX is trying desperately to be WAY more than a gaming console and more of a media hub but modern HDTVs with USB and even internet connections can do half the features it's claiming it'll handle. Oh sure... you can browse SKY HD and Netflix - Nobody watches TV anymore and I can have netflix on my previous gen consoles (and that platform I will not mention).

I'm looking at that ad-cluttered mess that is the Xbox dashboard right now and the undeletable Singstar app under my main game in the PS3's XMB and I just think... this is the future of consoles but way worse. Half expecting there to be a dedicated facebook 'Like' button on next gen controllers. No pressure here at all. I've also luckily never had such an interest in a single exclusive game to even consider buying an entire €400+ console just for it.
    So your the guy who will say, yes its all good but can it raise my kids

I really dont get all this fanboyism jumping around the place, like windows home screen has loads of stuff no one ever uses.
    Like I play on the pc I have Civ V, Football Manager and Euro Truck Simulator all played in the past few days.
    But I enjoy playing certain types of games on consoles, Sports games for example adapt better to consoles.
    You talk about yearly online subscription but sure doesnt WOW have that and nobody blinks an eye
    Once again Ive nothing against pc gaming, I will go to LAN meetings and play counterstike with my friends.
    I just dont get the better than God complex some PC gamers have floating about themselfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

astonaidan wrote: »
    So your the guy who will say, yes its all good but can it raise my kids

There is only one console worthy to raise kids on and that is the Nintendo 64 with goldeneye. I jest, but honestly I don't think about kids when I think about tech. By the time I even CONSIDER starting a family, technology will be unrecognisable compared to current tech if advancements continue at a pace they are now.
    I really dont get all this fanboyism jumping around the place, like windows home screen has loads of stuff no one ever uses.

Apologies but I actually don't understand what you meant by this, mainly the "Windows home screen". Are you talking about the startup screen for computers running windows OS? I can't even see how that relates to anything gaming.
    Like I play on the pc I have Civ V, Football Manager and Euro Truck Simulator all played in the past few days.
    But I enjoy playing certain types of games on consoles, Sports games for example adapt better to consoles.

Ok... that's not really the point of the thread though. The topic is do you feel pressure to get the new consoles. As someone who doesn't play any sport games, they don't effect my current attitude to next gen consoles.
    You talk about yearly online subscription but sure doesnt WOW have that and nobody blinks an eye

Few things here. WoW is a game, not a platform. Subscription based games exist on current gen consoles and with Xbox you need to pay the Xbox fee and the game-specific fee. Lastly, there's free to play, buy-once and subscription based games on all platforms. They don't fully represent any platform.
    Once again Ive nothing against pc gaming, I will go to LAN meetings and play counterstike with my friends.
    I just dont get the better than God complex some PC gamers have floating about themselfs.

I don't either and thankfully I don't see it much on these forums. Come to think of it... I don't think I've ever seen PC elitist on these forums actually, it has always been in jest with the whole "Pc master race" joke... a joke many console players seem to constantly not get or get trolled by.

It's f**king pointless. It's a thread about the next gen consoles. If you don't have anything to say about it...

You wouldn't go into a rugby thread to say you don't like rugby and that you just like a bit of soccer or GAA. It's ridiculous.

This attitude is why it's so hard to talk on these forums these days. That analogy is completely wrong. This isn't at all like going into a rugby forum and talking about how you like soccer better - this is a forum about one topic, gaming, similarly how a football forum is just about football. The questions, discussions (and this point debates ffs) are not about which 'sport' is better/worse in what ways, it's about platforms, which is like what field/weather football is being played in. If someone says are you playing football this season in the mud or indoors - and someone says neither, they're playing in a well kept football stadium, it's not off topic, unexpected or unprovoked.

Back on topic, like a previous poster said, I'm glad Dark Souls is coming to current gen playstation so I can play it with my SO. PS3 seems to have plenty of life left in it and it plays blu rays just as good as next gen consoles so whatevs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's the games that provide pressure for me to consider when I'll buy a console. I'm excited about where the next gen will go, but I don't feel any pressure to buy either of them on release. I'll be watching with interest, and trying to figure out a good time to buy, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As I said before, read what was actually posted. There's no point arguing if you don't get what's wrong with it.

I've read what was posted, heck I originally thought Grizzily was replying to the post above his saying get a PC to play Titanfall. There were four post mentioning PCs before I said what I said. I made a reply to the way the conversation was heading. Not towards any individuals either. Yes I could have worded it better, but read my posts.... I don't actually say a lot at all. I had to post twice more to stop being misunderstood which shows I should have used the next gen as an example and not the PS3 or even omitted the pc altogether. If the thread derailed it is as much the posters talking about PCs fault, as it is mine.

It's hard to keep silent when you're getting the finger pointed at you thats all, and over the last few pages my post has been taken as some sort of hand grenade or something. Its no further off topic or irrelevant than the ones before it mentioning pcs.

On topic:
    I've sold my PS4 prebook for extra funds to a friend :D The games I'm really interested in are not out till April/Summer and so instead I'm hoping to grab a Vita/3DS or WiiU for Chrimbo. The pressure to buy next gen is there though. Not from advertising but from the damn housemate getting a One in a few days :pac: and he isn't getting Forza or Killer Instinct :mad:

I don't get the paranoia some console gamers have about PC gamers thinking they are totally superior to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

nesf wrote: »
    I don't get the paranoia some console gamers have about PC gamers thinking they are totally superior to them.

I think it's the outright condescension that bugs people.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I think it's the outright condescension that bugs people.

More I think its how text doesn't convey tone very well.

I remember a thread a good few months ago about the next gen, and we were discussing the hardware tech being used, the relative strengths etc. Naturally since all the tech going into these machines is using PC hardware standards people were using the current PC tech to judge the relative power available to these consoles, with the very large caveat that the console game makers were going to be able to squeeze out a lot more performance out of the tech than a PC game maker could due to hardware standardisation. The only reference point is PC hardware, you can't avoid some discussion of PC hardware when discussing this stuff (e.g. those are AMD CPUs, AMD haven't been getting that much grunt per core of late so don't make direct comparisons with Intel chips with that many cores but AMD have been doing very well in the laptop and netbook markets working with very low cooling capabilities, so AMD could be a solid choice here etc). There wasn't "Oh, look it can't beat today's top end PC" crap going on because the PC gamers were pointing out the 1,000 Euro pricetag on that PC versus the much smaller pricetag on the console, as well as the impossibility of cooling CPUs and GPUs of that power level made with today's tech in a box people will put next to their TV, never mind the fan noise that'd be generated with such a small box to put everything in!).

We still had muppets saying "This is a console thread, take your PC crap out of here!!" I doubt they even read the posts, they just saw PC somewhere and presumed some PC gamer master race condescending post about how consoles suck. It's this automatic reaction by a couple of posters that drive these threads in off-topic rants and gives people feeling like a little trolling very soft targets and inspires the whole "Buy a PC! :D" posts from people in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

:D

I can picture a lot of people in this thread:

' i don't feel any pressure at all..'

*Goes out and buys BOTH consoles*

Who you all kiddin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Taylor365 wrote: »

I'm going to go out and buy all 3 consoles. But... Not at once, and not this year.

Taylor365 wrote: »

There's already a Wii U in the corner and I'm not even supposed to be console gamer ffs.

Advertisement