Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sensation of pressure from Next-Gen?

Options
  • 13-11-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

I'll explain. Ever since around the beginning of Autumn, I'll say around the time GTA V came out (September-ish), adverts and teasers have begun hitting our TVs, advertising new games coming out for the PS4 and Xbox One.

An advert for Call of Duty Ghosts came on the TV the other night and I was enjoying watching it until I saw the ending where it said "Coming soon to Xbox One" or something. It really made me go "uugh......"

I then saw a trailer for Forza 5 come on in between watching WWE on Monday night. I actually thought that it was coming out on the Xbox 360 as well as Xbox One until I saw the end of it saying "Exclusively on Xbox One" only to feel more, how can I explain it other than, minorly depressed.

All of these ads, commercials, teasers, and the general mention of both next-gen consoles have begun to flood me with immense pressure. By that, I mean that I feel rather too pushed into getting one of these consoles when I have no idea when or how I'm going to get one anytime soon.

When they finally hit the stores, it's all that will plague the gaming community. Does anyone else feel the same way, feeling pressured into ordering one of these consoles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not in the slightest, there's plenty of life left in the current gen and it'll be a while before the power of the new gen is really seen, and obviously the companies want to advertise their new babies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

After the reviews the PS4 launch titles are getting in today's reviews, nope no pressure. Looks like yet another launch full of Perfect Dark Zeros and Kameos. Who remembers them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, after today, having Ps4 controller in my hands and playing with it, I just cant wait to get my ps4. Its not even the games themselves that really makes me want it as a sense of actual new hardware and new nerd toy. Its a PLAYSTATION! :pac:
    I did changed my Knack preorder to NFS Rivals after seeing few Reviews and playing Knack itself today. Its not bad, but I will pick it up later when it is dirt cheap. It will go go cheap soon...

Do I feel pressure? Nope. Am I hyped to get a nice new hardware? Feck YEAH! I am saying this as a hardcore PC gamer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Next gen wont start till Metal gear Ground zero is out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The next gen console stopped being appealing to me since I started PC gaming. I already have a machine that can blow a playstation 4 out of the water so there really isnt much to get excited about graphics wise. I do miss the anticipation I had getting the first PS or the PS2. They were real leaps in technology.
    ..... Plus launch games are rarely any good. I'll get one some time but it'll be a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just decided there to cancel my PS4 pre-order. The launch titles are typically average and until Destiny drops, I don't think there's a true next-gen game available. I've more than enough to be getting on with the 360 and PS3. I'll probably pick up a PS4 next summer - hopefully with a new larger hard-drive sku.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Next Gen for me starts in March with Titan Fall. 360 has plenty of good games still to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Titan Fall looks fun. The kinda fun that makes me want to own a console again, but I'm going back off to University next year so I'll just mooch on someone else's mooching of mother's purse-strings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Get a PC, problem solved :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hard to get excited when Dark Souls 2 is out in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I can't afford to upgrade my PC. I have been playing consoles my whole life. That would add to it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Nope, not in the slightest. When I look at the games I have available to play in my backlog its the smaller games like FTL, Waking dead, Thomas was alone etc that grabs my attention the most while big blockbuster like Far cry 3, dead space 3, mass effect 3 (a lot of 3's it would appear) remain barely played. I don't need next gen for that. In a while I will, but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

nah i can wait 2013 has been a great year of games I dont think 2014 will top it

this is the worst part about new consoles the transition period it takes awhile for the big new gen games to pop up we will probley hear all about these games in 2014 then the release them in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do the console makers supplement the developers of the first game exclusives for next gen as they will only sell a limited amount due to a small user base?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I look forward to seeing what they can do a few months after launch, but i won't be buying one till mid 2014 at the earliest. Playing AC4 on the PS3 at the moment, and as long as there's only small difference between the multiplatform releases, i'll stick with the current gen and a new pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

This whole get a PC nd you won't need a console is getting old fast.
    Seriously, people buy consoles for the exclusive games. Just using the PS3 as an example: Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Journey, Little Big Planet, Demons Souls. Thats 5 games of the top of my head.

Saying all you need is a PC is nonsense, really. What you really need is every console. Say that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Danonino. wrote: »
    Seriously, people buy consoles for the exclusive games. Just using the PS3 as an example: Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Journey, Little Big Planet, Demons Souls. Thats 5 games of the top of my head.

Saying all you need is a PC is nonsense, really. What you really need is every console. Say that instead.

It's f**king pointless. It's a thread about the next gen consoles. If you don't have anything to say about it...

You wouldn't go into a rugby thread to say you don't like rugby and that you just like a bit of soccer or GAA. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Danonino. wrote: »

Just to put a little note on that: Pc has exclusive and more of then then both old gens put together. So exclusives are not just Console "thing". Multiplatform releases are always more superior on Pc too. You cant really ignore such a strong platform and put your head in a sand.
    I do agree that current topic is about next gen consoles here, so PC might stay away from this thread.

Back on topic: a lot of people say that there are no games worth getting, but mutliplatform games are an improvement. A console gamer who wants to play bf4 or Cod ( not that massive improvement maybe in cod case :pac: ) will benefit a lot from new gen. As much as you can hate and dont like modern shooters - they are popular and sale shiet loads.
    Sony exclusive might not be great or must haves, but there is enough of games to keep people going. I am pretty sure Xbox exclusives will be quite better. I do have ps4 Preordered and payed off, but I do like Xbox one exclusive a lot more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No one is saying not to buy a next gen console because of the pc, they are just saying they don't feel the pressure of buying one now because they have a good gaming pc (or because of current gen consoles). Nothing wrong with that, and it's perfectly relevant for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

nothing worth getting at launch - cancelled pre-order after drive-club and watchdogs delay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    After the reviews the PS4 launch titles are getting in today's reviews, nope no pressure. Looks like yet another launch full of Perfect Dark Zeros and Kameos. Who remembers them?

Can`t believe Killzone got average reviews :rolleyes:

Sticking with my 3DS & Tearaway for the Vita this Christmas and New Year may pick up Rayman Legends aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Well, after today, having Ps4 controller in my hands and playing with it, I just cant wait to get my ps4. Its not even the games themselves that really makes me want it as a sense of actual new hardware and new nerd toy. Its a PLAYSTATION! :pac:
    I did changed my Knack preorder to NFS Rivals after seeing few Reviews and playing Knack itself today. Its not bad, but I will pick it up later when it is dirt cheap. It will go go cheap soon...

Do I feel pressure? Nope. Am I hyped to get a nice new hardware? Feck YEAH! I am saying this as a hardcore PC gamer too.
    I felt like this when I got my vita, excitement wore off after sony didn't release any new games for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

biggebruv wrote: »
    nah i can wait 2013 has been a great year of games I dont think 2014 will top it

this is the worst part about new consoles the transition period it takes awhile for the big new gen games to pop up we will probley hear all about these games in 2014 then the release them in 2015

Happens with every launch in fairness, the ps2 and ps3 launches were pretty poor too, it's at least 6-12 months until the first really worthwhile game start coming out and longer again before the developers really start pushing the hardware. Some of the best games of each console come out in it's final years, this current gen won't be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I won't get one until at least March next year. I have a huge backlog of games due to ps+ so I'm not short of stuff to play. I'll wait for Metal Gear and Infamous and see what else is on the horizon before I take the plunge.

Just to put a little note on that: Pc has exclusive and more of then then both old gens put together. So exclusives are not just Console "thing". Multiplatform releases are always more superior on Pc too. You cant really ignore such a strong platform and put your head in a sand.
    I do agree that current topic is about next gen consoles here, so PC might stay away from this thread.
    ..... snip

But thats my point. If the PC has exclusive titles buy a PC. You're agreeing with me but making it out like I said exclusives were a console only perk.
    I was replying to this nonsense along with a few more that pop up all the fecking time:

grizzly wrote: »
    Get a PC, problem solved :P

Not to just pull Grizzly out or anything, it was obviously said as a joke. I just find it infuriating when people try compare every other gaming dvice with thier super PC. There is a reason the WiiU exists just like there is a reason people dust off their Super Nintendo and gather round for some micro machines. It's the same reason people spend time, money and effort building a dedicated gaming pc. To play games. The current gen of consoles were worth the price of admission. I have no doubt the next gen will too. But to say you have no interest in consoles because you have an awesome PC is like saying you don't find cheesecake appealing because you stocked up on steaks for the next 2 years and they are delicious. I like cheesecake after my steak damn it. Cheesecake is fecking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Most of the posters saying "Get a PC!" are just making a joke and a very long running one on this forum (console gamers face this problem every four or five years, hardcore PC gamers face (cheaper) problems much more frequently as a different bit of the PC could use an upgrade, no one escapes the upgrade treadmill). Some of the others are saying "I'm happy I moved to PC" but they're just relating to the thread topic: The pressure to get the Next Gen because of advertising.

There isn't any real PC Gamer Master Race Post in this thread. Pity really, the peons seem to be getting uppity.

I hope you don't mean me when you say uppity, I was just making sure I wasn't being misunderstood is all. Plus its been a while since I had cheesecake, thinking of that set me off. You don't have any cheesecake do you? If you do you should give me some.

I deserve it.

No pressure here. Got too many games still to play and there'll be plenty more for the next 18 months or so. That's generally when price drops or decent bundles come along so I'll be waiting.

On a slightly separate note, another reason I don't mind waiting is that getting new electronics has almost become run-of-the-mill for me. I still remember getting my 360 (I think I was 20 or 21 at the time) and was so, so excited on the way up, set it up in the sitting room so I could show my parents what it could do (hadn't had a console in their house since PS1) and just buzzing for days. It wasn't about the new games, I'd played the games before for ages elsewhere, it was just brilliant. Then over the summer I got a 3DS and I'm enjoying it but there was very little buzz buying it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

I'm sure everyone is waiting anxiously for a port of Euro Truck Simulator 2 to the Xbox One and the PS4, no really. <smiley face>

In saying that, I see no reason to get in on the ground floor on either of the new machines. The launch line-ups are pretty weak looking and the list of features they're backtracking on (or delaying) is more than off-putting right now. Considering the troubled launches of the PS3 and the 360 I would currently avoid both new machines. After watching a few videos of a few cross platform titles either, there is a difference there, but not enough to warrant a new purchase.

All imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'll consider a PS4 once I've gone through my PS3 game collection from PS+.

So, sometime next year then.

P.S. Everyone should play Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

P.P.S. Except PC gamers cos they don't have it :pac:

Advertisement