Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A sensation of pressure from Next-Gen?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

gamercfc wrote: »
    When they finally hit the stores, it's all that will plague the gaming community. Does anyone else feel the same way, feeling pressured into ordering one of these consoles?

That's interesting. It's what advertising is all about, trying to make you feel inadequate without the product; buy our stuff and happiness will ensue! I do agree, the PS/360 will feel mighty old very soon. Especially when we'll be blasted with it over the next few weeks.

I think I'll be fine as I'm not rabidly interested in any of the launch titles. Watchdogs being delayed was a major blow for me. Not that we'll be able to do anything about it, I'm sure they're sold out everywhere :o That and I bought a gaming rig at the top of last year so if possible I just buy new games for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Honestly haven't the slightest interest in the new consoles, won't be going near them until there's a big next-gen-only fighter I can't do without (KI looks a bit of fun but it isn't selling me a new console).

Have enough old games I haven't got playing to skip the next 3 generations TBH (if we even get that many before they become something else entirely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hard to get excited when Dark Souls 2 is out in March.

That will be one to dust off a 360 for certainly, though I do hope it gets a next gen release down the road too ..... not that I'll need an excuse to play it twice :)

February / March look like a release schedule we would usually see pre-christmas with the amount of next gen stuff out or put back until then. Tonnes of stuff that I'm currenly interested in getting released then, time being a bigger factor than money (not that I've loads of money) for those release dates. I think it was 6 games on my last count that I was interested in a 4 week release window.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Danonino. wrote: »
    I hope you don't mean me when you say uppity, I was just making sure I wasn't being misunderstood is all. Plus its been a while since I had cheesecake, thinking of that set me off. You don't have any cheesecake do you? If you do you should give me some.

I deserve it.

Peons don't get cheesecake! Don't be silly.

I can't stand when people come along in a thread about consoles and say, "oh PCs are better". This is the only forum where something similar is actually allowed without punishment. As someone stated, you wouldn't go into other forums and do something similar, would you?

As for the next gen consoles - nope, no pressure. I never buy anything launch day, especially new platforms, as the range of games that usually are on offer are terrible. I'll probably purchase one in another year or so, when all the problems and kinks have been ironed out and there is a better back-catalogue of games. Also I'm not worried about the current gen- the Playstation 2 was releasing games up until recently, a few years into the current gen of consoles, so I can't imagine anything different happening with the Xbox 360.

Also it does seem that the next gen consoles are getting hit hard with people cancelling their preorders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't stand when people come along in a thread about consoles and say, "oh PCs are better". This is the only forum where something similar is actually allowed without punishment. As someone stated, you wouldn't go into other forums and do something similar, would you?

I'm not punishing it because people getting worked up about it is much worse than people stating they prefer PC gaming. The people getting worked up about it need to grow some thicker skin because they aren't being insulted personally. PC gaming is an option as is console gaming and I would be abusing my powers punishing people for stating their preference for PC gaming. There's arguments for both sides.

I'd be more inclined to punish the people over reacting to these comments and taking it personally. It's even worse when it's a very obvious troll for humours sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I'm not punishing it because people getting worked up about it is much worse than people stating they prefer PC gaming. The people getting worked up about it need to grow some thicker skin because they aren't being insulted personally. PC gaming is an option as is console gaming and I would be abusing my powers punishing people for stating their preference for PC gaming. There's arguments for both sides.

While I agree with you, the whole 'superior PC race' does get very tiresome very quickly. As someone who plays games on both PC and consoles, I never really understand the urge of some on here to jump into console centric threads to talk about how PC's are better. I actually find it kind of sad really, its like they are constantly looking for validation or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

I'd be more inclined to punish the people over reacting to these comments and taking it personally. It's even worse when it's a very obvious troll for humours sake.

Strange that, because when the console counterparts used to do it to each other the mods used to come down very heavy on the, as it was called, 'fanboy flame wars'. I believe it was quite successful in reducing the 'problem'.

If you would like to punish people for this type of approach within threads go into this weeks posts in the Diablo 3 thread and see the 'taking it personally' over reaction when Paths of Exile was mentioned (all self proclaimed PC master racers BTW). Interesting one of the main 'over reactors' who got their knickers in a twist is a thanker of your post. Not so happy when the tables are turned! The games thread contains quite a good community, the one blight being this 'Get/ Have a PC' (joke?;)) response got weary a looooooooooooong time ago.

Anyway before I get my ban, no pressure felt atall re the next gen consoles. I feel the current gen consoles are only starting to kick off in the last 18 months, and there's much more in them (IMHO) This coupled with the sales price of games only a few months after release (coupled with Humble Bundle/gog/ steam sales) means it is certainly not a necessity to get a new console to continue gaming.

Anyway, nobody should move on until they have at least played Demons Souls, Vanquish, Journey and Dragons Dogma (and probably Thomas was Alone). You really haven't got the best out of this gen until you have played those.:) 'Superior' Games!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

mrm wrote: »
    Strange that, because when the console counterparts used to do it to each other the mods used to come down very heavy on the, as it was called, 'fanboy flame wars'. I believe it was quite successful in reducing the 'problem'.

There's absolutely no comparison to the PC gaming thing and the moronic console flame wars (can't wait for this gens inevitable one :rolleyes:).

From moderating the forum I usually find nothing wrong with PC gaming being mentioned. Usually it's a very valid post making valid points until someone comes in spouting how the PC gaming master race should shut up and get out of the thread that the trouble starts and it's those people who are in the wrong since they kick it off by expressing their offense at nebulous opinions. If someone is actually trying to start trouble they will be dealt with as usual but I find the vast majority of the time it's some one reacting to a PC post that is the sole cause of all the trouble.

Reading through this thread it's a perfect example of that happening.

Anyway end it at that it's off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

There's absolutely no comparison to the PC gaming thing and the moronic console flame wars (can't wait for this gens inevitable one :rolleyes:).

From moderating the forum I usually find nothing wrong with PC gaming being mentioned. Usually it's a very valid post making valid points until someone comes in spouting how the PC gaming master race should shut up and get out of the thread that the trouble starts and it's those people who are in the wrong since they kick it off by expressing their offense at nebulous opinions. If someone is actually trying to start trouble they will be dealt with as usual but I find the vast majority of the time it's some one reacting to a PC post that is the sole cause of all the trouble.

Reading through this thread it's a perfect example of that happening.

Anyway end it at that it's off topic.

But this thread is about next gen consoles, why do people feel the need to post and say "I prefer pc" when all thats doing is talking off topic and stating a preference which no one really cares about becauses its a console discussion, more like spam to me:pac:

<
    pc gamer here:pac:

• Advertisement

According to some reports flying around the net the new console flame war could revolve around whose console has been bricked the most by the day one patch. Another reason not to succumb to pressure and become an early adopter!

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    But this thread is about next gen consoles, why do people feel the need to post and say "I prefer pc" when all thats doing is talking off topic and stating a preference which no one really cares about becauses its a console discussion, more like spam to me:pac:

<

It's very simple. A response of 'no I've a good PC' in a thread pretty much asking whether you are excited about the next gen consoles is perfectly valid response. We are discussing games here that come in all shapes and flavours and on different systems not just console games. Nobody is flat out saying I prefer PC, they are saying they don't see the point in owning a new system when they have a PC system that offers more or better.

If you don't think that is a valid response to the question posed then I'm sorry but that's the reality and I'm not going to ban PC gamers from commenting on games threads (when in fact a lot of PC gamers game on consoles as well but people don't think before the accusations start flying). It's a perfectly fine response and totally on topic and I don't see how you can argue it isn't.

The only problem here is people reacting to posts first before actually understanding what is being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

This whole get a PC nd you won't need a console is getting old fast.
    Seriously, people buy consoles for the exclusive games. Just using the PS3 as an example: Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, Journey, Little Big Planet, Demons Souls. Thats 5 games of the top of my head.

Saying all you need is a PC is nonsense, really. What you really need is every console. Say that instead.

That is a perfectly fine response to what the two other posts said about not feeling any pressure to buy next gen and instead having PCs to game on. They were said in a joking manner, some of the replies afterwards were also said in a joking manner, but to say the thread derailed because of replies to 'Get a PC' rather than the actual posting 'Get a PC' would be a strange thing to say indeed. It works both ways. I personally posted to say "hey hang on a second, there is plenty of reasons to own a console" and then had to post again to stop being misunderstood. If someone can post a troll then it should be perfectly understandable if someone posts back.

Then the PC master race discussion threw everything everywhich way. Can't someone please think of the children.

It wasn't really a perfectly fine response, it was totally off topic and responding to an obvious troll. No need for it and it kicked everything off. You were responding to something you perceived was said than was actually said. Nobody actually said there's no point in getting a console if you have a PC (if they did point it out to me) but for some reason you went ahead and addressed that point even though it wasn't made at all thus kicking things off. This unfortunately happens an awful lot. Again people need to think before they post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

After the reviews the PS4 launch titles are getting in today's reviews, nope no pressure. Looks like yet another launch full of Perfect Dark Zeros and Kameos. Who remembers them?
    I liked Kameo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

<

Some people might still live under a rock and dont like it, but PC topic will surface more and more in the upcoming next gen of gaming. PC was always strong platform, but now it is actually going in to its golden age and becoming a lot more realistic platform then it ever was.

Saying that "I wont bother with next gen, because I have PC" is a super valid point in thread like this ( when you come to think about it ). It looks like that "console gamer ONLY" crowd got their knickers in a twist over this. And trust me, there is a huge difference between: "console only gamer", "pc gamer only" and "gamer who is on both platforms". In most cases "pc gamer only" had a taste of all platforms and decided on his PC platform, wheres "Console gamer only" in 99% cases knows only about console and decided to completely ignore pc by sticking his head in sand and getting offended every time when someone tries to explain the benefits of PC.

So why this "I will stick to PC" is very valid here? Well, because if you got at least few years solid gaming PC build, then there is no point getting Console for multiplatform games, as PC will still run it in more superior way. We mentioned exclusives. Yes, Valid point about consoles, but in this case exclusive are not great and not worth investment. Knack is bad, Killzone still average in most peoples eyes. Forza 5 is not bad, but it is a very cut down version compared to epic Forza4. Deadrising 3 does look cool, but no way it is worth 500eu investment.

So yeah, I can clearly see why people who got PCs are not pressured at all at this stage. Who can blame them? yeah, they can play BF4 on 1080p with all the extras already. Why would they go 900p or even 720p for an extra 400/500eu? I got Bf4 + Premium for 63eu on PC, for PS4 it would cost me 65eu for BF4 alone.
    Saying all this: I got my ps4 payed off and I am counting days until 29th. I am 90% of PC gamer, but I always have a special place in my heart for Playstation since original one. I love new hardware and I will have my ps4 all ready for when exclusive will come in, lets be honest, there wount be price cut on PS4 any time soon. With time I will get Xbox one too for all the other exclusives.

Try and keep this on topic from now on and less of the backseat modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Tbh comments like"Get a pc" are comments looking for a reaction, comments like "well I rather playing on the pc because............" are not looking for a reaction they are making a statement, too much off the first comment happens and is overlooked too often

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This thread is about feeling the pressure of getting a next gen console. If it's ok to say you don't feel pressure because there's a ton of games left to play on the current gen consoles, why can't we say we don't feel pressure because there's a ton of games to play on the pc. No one said don't get one because the PC is better, just that there's no rush.

Anyway, back on topic; seeing the PS4 reviews definitely makes me glad i didn't bother with it at launch. Very mediocre so far. Watch Dogs getting pushed back was a big blow to both Sony and Microsoft (and Ubisoft) at launch.

In most cases "pc gamer only" had a taste of all platforms and decided on his PC platform, wheres "Console gamer only" in 99% cases knows only about console and decided to completely ignore pc by sticking his head in sand and getting offended every time when someone tries to explain the benefits of PC.

Link?

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Tbh comments like"Get a pc" are comments looking for a reaction, comments like "well I rather playing on the pc because............" are not looking for a reaction they are making a statement, too much off the first comment happens and is overlooked too often

Now don't be silly. It was never meant to be taken seriously, if you do take it seriously then you are entirely at fault.

(Hint: the :p gives it away)

1366207210388.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

mrm wrote: »
    Link?

link.jpg

link.jpg

Finest PC game of them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭theblaqueguy

This poor guy couldn't take the pressure from having the next gen console so he had to shoot his ps4!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I..wow...I have no words to describe how awesome that is.

Wow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This explains everything:

[video]

Wow! Such lyrical! Very singing! Amaze!

Ahem. No pressure here, another one of those annoying smug PC owners. The games being pushed aren't really catching my interest either, they look near-identical to the last lot. I did finally have a look at some COD: Ghosts trailers yesterday, and was impressed by the advertising's need for you to buy it. I must have gone through 3-4 trailers before I even saw any freaking game footage. I guess they really are trying to push some sections of the gaming world.

It is amusing however to see my flatmate looking for any reason he can to justify the not-insignificant amount of cash he's put down for an XBone while flinging any old slur he can find at the PS4. He has an identical PC to me, so I have no idea why exactly he's getting worked up about the consoles...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

This poor guy couldn't take the pressure from having the next gen console so he had to shoot his ps4!

I just hope he backed up his games saves....nothing worse than shooting your PS3 with a sniper rifle only to forget to back up your 60 hour game save of fallout to the cloud!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just be aware you have one mod not opposed to the banning of the phrase 'PC Master Race' and any associated images or derivatives ;) I frequently curse Mr. Croshaw for inflicting that horrid meme on the world. Even loaded with layers of irony and jesting, it is well past its sell-by date. Any humour and insight once contained within the gag have been sucked dry.

As for the topic at hand. If you can afford a next gen console and are satisfied with the knowledge it's a long term investment that will take months if not years to provide a worthy software catalogue, go for it, you'll have a new gadget to play with and be ready for the good stuff when it comes. If not, you can wait it out safe in the knowledge that when the games arrive the console might be cheaper, perhaps even offering a new SKU. Your launch day console will (hopefully barring any hardware failures ala last gen) not be a waste of money, but you can almost certainly expect it to gather a bit of dust in the early days and be a tad underwhelmed by the first wave of games. Anyone who waits won't be missing anything they can't easily catch up on in 2014 and beyond.

As for pressure? Well, it's hardly like Sony and Microsoft are going to say 'ah, sure, wait it out for a year or two'. It's their job to try and persuade us their new consoles are worth the cash, and regardless of whether they're persuasive enough, you can hardly begrudge them for that. At least they gave us a generation with legs this time around: can't complain about a pair of consoles that sort of naturally ran their course in just under a decade. Certainly the pS3 and 360 were rushed to market prematurely, and undoubtedly the hardware suffered as a result.

Advertisement