Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic - €6.40 DX.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

Just €1 more? I challenge you to find an item you can get on amazon shipped to Ireland that is only €1 more than its dx counterpart...
    41aZTH1rhOL.jpg
    This one, which looks to be the same as the ebay one posted earlier is available for £6.35 from a few marketplace sellers on Amazon here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B006JJZVQE

That's approx €7.75 at an exchange rate of £1 to €1.22, plus Parcel Motel cost of €3.50 is a total of €11.25. Yes, that is nearly €5 more than the bargain alert price, but honestly for me I'd absolutely pay a fiver more to have this in 2 to 3 days and save all the waiting and possible messing about if I actually want this thing to investigate something now. At this level, the kind of savings we're talking about makes no real difference to me, and over the years I've learnt that my time and convenience are worth paying for. However, as the old cockney phrase goes, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Anybody know an App for IPhone that is compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Is Torque only for android or is there one for iPad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Torque is android only.
    I'm not sure if these are even iphone compatible. Read somewhere that it you need a wifi one as opposed to a Bluetooth one for the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

41aZTH1rhOL.jpg
    This one, which looks to be the same as the ebay one posted earlier is available for £6.35 from a few marketplace sellers on Amazon here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B006JJZVQE

That's approx €7.75 at an exchange rate of £1 to €1.22, plus Parcel Motel cost of €3.50 is a total of €11.25. Yes, that is nearly €5 more than the bargain alert price, but honestly for me I'd absolutely pay a fiver more to have this in 2 to 3 days and save all the waiting and possible messing about if I actually want this thing to investigate something now. At this level, the kind of savings we're talking about makes no real difference to me, and over the years I've learnt that my time and convenience are worth paying for. However, as the old cockney phrase goes, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

This is a well known fake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELM327#Pirate_clones
    The 1.0 version of the ELM327 did not implement copy protection, and the PIC code was copied[6][7] and widely sold in devices claiming to contain an ELM327 device. Numerous problems have been reported[8] with Chinese clones, partially due to bugs inherent in the early code.
    Although these pirate clones may contain the ELM327 v1.0 code, they may falsely report the version number as the current version provided by the genuine ELM327, and in some cases report an as-yet non-existent version.[9] The actual function of these pirate clones is nonetheless limited to the function of the original ELM327 v1.0, with inherent deficiencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Any bargains on vcds tools out there? I don't think these can update hidden menus etc can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Scortho wrote: »
    Torque is android only.
    I'm not sure if these are even iphone compatible. Read somewhere that it you need a wifi one as opposed to a Bluetooth one for the iPhone.

Yes - Apple block Bluetooth for data functionality like this. Tried a hack workaround, but you need a jailbroken device, and even then it didn't hold a connection for me. There's wifi ELM327 connectors on ebay - they don't cost much more (£17) - which will work with iOS apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Torque is android only.

I'm using Dash for windows phone. Similar enough. Cost about €4 iirc. I've used a free programme too. Both work and I've cleared engine errors with both via a cheap ELM327 wireless bluetooth yoke very similar to the one in the OP
    alastair wrote: »
    Yes - Apple block Bluetooth for data functionality like this.

a3pNhMNbat-10.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

There's wifi ELM327 connectors on ebay - they don't cost much more (£17) - which will work with iOS apps.

How does the WiFi one work...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How does the WiFi one work...?

Over wifi?

• Advertisement

Great, so I just need to bring the car into the house and get it on the same network as the ipad....:)

I take it this means you can't use it in 'real time' while you're driving about on the open road and nowhere near a WiFi network....? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Great, so I just need to bring the car into the house and get it on the same network as the ipad....:)

I take it this means you can't use it in 'real time' while you're driving about on the open road and nowhere near a WiFi network....? :confused:

Of course you can. The iPhone will connect directly to the OBD-II adapter, just via 802-11 instead of Bluetooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

wifi hotspot off the phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

As mentioned above, using an ad-hoc (direct) connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

All the chinese ones are fake, even in bulk a genuine elm chip probably costs the price of the complete chinese units, I think they are generally v1.2 not v1.0 you can check by sending it AT commands to check whats supported. My cheap chinese one works great with alfaobd, multiecuscan, torque it occasionally locks up and needs to be replugged, so much handier than dragging around a laptop and autocom.

Lots of the chinese one has wrong value components, big thread here for modifications and recommendations:
    http://forum.multiecuscan.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1493

Ordered one on Amazon on Thursday, picked it up in Parcel Motel today, now to find the best app, .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

meathman0 wrote: »
    Ordered one on Amazon on Thursday, picked it up in Parcel Motel today, now to find the best app, .

Torque is the best app

Which one did you get Meathman...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

msg11 wrote: »
    Say you would be able to disable it. For your own information if that is a manufacturer enforced speed restriction I wouldn't go changing it.

If it's some sort of EU/Workplace enforcement can't see it hurting the engine!
    A delivery van. under 3.5 tonne. Drives on a normal licence.

Company Bull Sh1t .

Hi Billy, got it on Amazon uk from this seller Digi2013 UK ELM327 V 1.5 , very quick delivery.

• Advertisement

Torque is the best app

Thanks, if I get the paid app, will I also need the free one for my make of car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Doss torque let you turn off service lights etc? Or just show the errors?

it will reset the engine light , airbag light etc, but if the initial problem is there, the light will eventually come back on.

It's handy to reset any lights just before an NCT., but they might come back on in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

meathman0 wrote: »
    Thanks, if I get the paid app, will I also need the free one for my make of car?

the app will work for any car with the OBD II system.

there are (free) plugins that add extra options to torque

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Arrived today. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭lau1247

embraer170 wrote: »
    Arrived today. Thanks OP.

When did you order it embraer?? also did you get a tracking number?? It says that it has been shipped from the DX website but no tracking number under that section for my one.. just curious

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Postal deliveries on a Saturday...?

I ordered it when it was posted here.
    I never checked properly but I doubt there was a tracking number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Would it do a BMW?

I will be testing that shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

cheers

Advertisement