Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors Chat - Round 5*****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I was thinking that alright, but what's not to say that that specific car hasn't 182,000 on it rather than 82,000. Very unlikely, but still.......

Common sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Interesting I can still change them have a mate who works in a tyre place and the Hankooks are the one he recommended they don't come cheap either.

How do the goodyear compare price wise? What were you using the Hankook's on?

the goodyears were a tenner more.
    strangely enough my mate has a tyre place too and he also reccomended them. I wont be buying them again.
    they were on an Alfa 159.
    (i would be a spirited driver;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's alright, I know the only reason you haven't taken the top off your Z yet is you're ashamed of your bald spot.
    Drop down to the salon and we'll sort that for ya, oul fella. :D

It's more the grey hairs that get me, thankfully there's no bald spot :P
    Auld fella? That's an aul fella that could be insured on your ornament, I mean, MX5, for 180 squid!

:D

Oh and fyi the top comes off grand now, it was just the japanese design didn't suit my americant sized hands....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

pred racer wrote: »
    the goodyears were a tenner more.
    strangely enough my mate has a tyre place too and he also reccomended them. I wont be buying them again.
    they were on an Alfa 159.
    (i would be a spirited driver;) )

:pac: it's probably the same bloke everyone seems to know him as there go to tyre guy.

Might look into the Goodyears, I'd be a spirited driver myself I like the Bridgestone that are on it but feck that I'm not putting runflats back on it.

Nothing worse than getting the tyres wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

YbFocus wrote: »
    Common sense :D

Ford Ka

Only 18,000 genuine miles. *cough*

XfdUf2I.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Anyone know what the 3.0 Diesel engine is like in the E39? Way more 5er's with the spec I'm looking for that have the diesel. I have been offered a test drive in my friends SE one but I won't get around to that for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Anyone know what the 3.0 Diesel engine is like in the E39? Way more 5er's with the spec I'm looking for that have the diesel. I have been offered a test drive in my friends SE one but I won't get around to that for a while.

Swirl flap delete and your safe enough, they're an engine that can hack big mileage. Basically just an older version of my own engine, slightly less power. Proving to be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

:pac: it's probably the same bloke everyone seems to know him as there go to tyre guy.

Might look into the Goodyears, I'd be a spirited driver myself I like the Bridgestone that are on it but feck that I'm not putting runflats back on it.

Nothing worse than getting the tyres wrong.

I find bridgestones fantastic (not runflats obviously)
    the only reason I am trying other tyres is that the bridgestones are very loud on my car.

pred racer wrote: »
    I find bridgestones fantastic (not runflats obviously)
    the only reason I am trying other tyres is that the bridgestones are very loud on my car.

Yea have to say I do like them myself just can't justify or see the point in putting the runflats back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

YbFocus wrote: »
    Swirl flap delete and your safe enough, they're an engine that can hack big mileage. Basically just an older version of my own engine, slightly less power. Proving to be great :)

The one that my friend has is remapped and de Cat'd and apparently is pushing around 220/230hp. He's offered it to me as well for around 3K but he plans on selling it around June and I definitely won't have the money for it then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Interesting I can still change them have a mate who works in a tyre place and the Hankooks are the one he recommended they don't come cheap either.

How do the goodyear compare price wise? What were you using the Hankook's on?

I have had bridgestones, Goodyears and hankooks the same ventus type. I was disappointed with the hankooks. Obviously there better than any Chinese crap but as said they don't have the wet grip when accelerating. My 1.3cdti astra would spin the hankook even in second and third in the wet and that didn't exactly have a lot of power to put down and there was plgnty of thread on them.

Bridgestone's are a great tyre but the newer turanzas wear quick. I had Goodyears on my focus and was very impressed with them as an all round tyres. Great grip and yet they wear better and last longer than the turanzas. It will be Goodyears I'll be putting on the golf when it needs a set of tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Just ordered myself four new tyres Hankook Ventus I've heard good things :).

I have these (ventus sp1 run flats) on my cooper s. They are a grand tire...good in the wet and quiet enough. Unfortunately mine are now bald...

Bpmull wrote: »
    My 1.3cdti astra would spin the hankook even in second and third in the wet and that didn't exactly have a lot of power to put down.

Now that sounds terrible and makes me quite nervous given my car has 260bhp if it does that in an fwd Astra I'm screwed. Back to the drawing board I reckon.

Mertz recommended tyre he uses on the 335I think I'll get them priced . Think I'll price up Goodyear eagle f1 and kumho ECSTA SPT

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nothing quite like a mid-week blast up to the sally gap when there isn't a soul about. Makes me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Marty have you tried vredesteins?

I know i only had a few miles on them but the grip seemed ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Now that sounds terrible and makes me quite nervous given my car has 260bhp if it does that in an fwd Astra I'm screwed. Back to the drawing board I reckon.

Mertz recommended tyre he uses on the 335I think I'll get them priced . Think I'll price up Goodyear eagle f1 and kumho ECSTA SPT

I have the Goodyears on the 335 and I had the Kumho's on the MPS. Both excellent tyres but the Goodyears are in the higher price range whereas the Kumhos are mid price range.

coolisin wrote: »
    Marty have you tried vredesteins?

I know i only had a few miles on them but the grip seemed ok.

Which ones? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

ultra vorti i think!
    Cannot comment on wear yet! Wet grip seemed good suited my driving style.

coolisin wrote: »
    ultra vorti i think!
    Cannot comment on wear yet! Wet grip seemed good suited my driving style.

Cheers done a quick Google and they have good reviews, been turned off the Hankooks now.

Was looking at 165 a tyre for the Hankooks can stretch a bit more if the tyre warrants it. I'll get the two Mertz and the Vredesteins priced up and do a bit more research to suss it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

With regards to wear, I had the Kumhos on the MPS over a year before I traded it in. They didn't wear badly at all, there was a lot of tread left on them. The Goodyears have been on the BM a year now too and the fronts are well meaty but the rears will need to be replaced soon. I do like to floor it quite a bit so I'm happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Cheers done a quick Google and they have good reviews, been turned off the Hankooks now.

Was looking at 165 a tyre for the Hankooks can stretch a bit more if the tyre warrants it. I'll get the two Mertz and the Vredesteins priced up and do a bit more research to suss it out.

I haven't had any issues with a set of hankooks. I have them on a cooper s and didn't get any wheel spin issues in the wet until they wore down to where they are now (they are in need of replacement). For 165 per corner in guessing your looking at run flats. I'm in two minds at putting run flats back on the mini, but with no room for a spare I'd be taking my chances with a can of tire weld if I had a puncture which isn't ideal obviously...

No certainly not run flats can't justify it. Just 255/35 r18 rear tyres and 225/40 r18 fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

This sally gap must be something else, since some of ye never shut up about driving up there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This sally gap must be something else, since some of ye never shut up about driving up there :pac:

I'm in Mayo like you. I used to go up there when i lived in Dublin years ago my parents used to drive up there nearly every Sunday. In winter you get snow alot even when there is snow no where else in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

A 141 golf gtd passed me on the motorway there some serious car the led lights front and back are cool too. Then as I was behind it I noticed L plates. Very nice car to learn to drive in. Aren't they around 40k euro or something mad like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Had a good look about a 141 GTI the other week. Pretty impressive car. A million miles from the old mk 1 with all the sat nav and other electric stuff you don't need but still pretty cool. Struck me as more of a luxo hatch than a hot hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Drive from Tallaght or Rathfarnem up to the Sally Gap, down to Glendelough and then take the Wicklow Gap and N81 back to where you started.

No one needs a therapist, they just need a car they enjoy driving and a few hours alone with those roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CianRyan wrote: »
    Drive from Tallaght or Rathfarnem up to the Sally Gap, down to Glendelough and then take the Wicklow Gap and N81 back to where you started.

No one needs a therapist, they just need a car they enjoy driving and a few hours alone with those roads!

There is a great drive in Connemara, from Maam cross down to cong, great drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

There is a great drive in Connemara, from Maam cross down to cong, great drive.

I've Family in Cleggan, I may have to go visit them this summer when the Roadster's ready! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement