Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlement Culture killing the will to work in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Why? Why should someone with no children essentially be punished for not having any?

A person with no children already pays tax which goes to a child's parent/s in the form of child benefit. Why should they have a double punishment?

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

creedp wrote: »
    How about zero rounds of pay increments in the same period? Your statement has about as much validity as someone arguing that every private sector workers gets an annual bonus .. hang on though maybe they do!

Hang on increments are estimated to be costing somewhere in the region of between 150million to 250million each year its hardly a trivial amount..

The pay cuts to the public sector are a crock and is akin to trying to empty a swimming pool by taking water in a bucket from the deep end and emptying it at the shallow end..

As for private sector employees getting bonuses?? so what does that come out of my taxes no..Infact it adds to the tax take so your argument is complete nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

fliball123 wrote: »
    Hang on increments are estimated to be costing somewhere in the region of between 150million to 250million each year its hardly a trivial amount..

The pay cuts to the public sector are a crock and is akin to trying to empty a swimming pool by taking water in a bucket from the deep end and emptying it at the shallow end..

As for private sector employees getting bonuses?? so what does that come out of my taxes no..Infact it adds to the tax take so your argument is complete nonsense

Where are these people? My brother is private sector and has had his pay slashed by a third - no bonuses or increments or privelege days for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭creedp

I didn't say anything about them being trivial . I'm just making the point that not everybody has received increments over the past 6 years and therefore can have had in excess of a 20% reduction in pay over that same period.

What's that got to do with anything .. presumably you are therefore logically trying to argue that public pay should be zero until Ireland experiences surpluses again. Course that would be never as the Govt could keep cutting taxes so the State could always generate a deficit.

I didn't say anything about them being trivial . I'm just making the point that not everybody has received increments over the past 6 years and therefore can have had in excess of a 20% reduction in pay over that same period.

What's that got to do with anything .. presumably you are therefore logically trying to argue that public pay should be zero until Ireland experiences surpluses again. Course that would be never as the Govt could keep cutting taxes so the State could always generate a deficit.

Well then you will accept the fact that with increments 6 rounds of them that a lot of people in the public sector have not taken pay cuts either and are back or above the levels they were being paid in 2008?

Where are you getting 20% pay cut from as far as I was aware it was 7% average a pension levy (a contribution for a defined benefit..One which the country has not got the capacity to cover at the moment) where is the other % coming from?

No not cut to zero but to an appropriate level that is affordable at present and increments should be abolished until our deficit is gone.

As for you tax cutting proposal..Some kind of tax relief is badly needed in this country...We are overtaxed and we get a p1ss poor and year on year a diminished service in return for what we are paying for.

Then you hear the likes of ASTU the teachers union on this morning moaning and trying to put the 30% of people who had been hired under the croke park terms forward as a means not to cut their wage..When it was the other 70% who forced the governments hand by getting them to ringfence and protect their wage in the first place..Complete nonsense..

Bottom line is we cannot afford the current level of ps pay and pensions and welfare...There is still a 10 billion a year hole to be found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just a few points:

Thousands of workers don't get increments as not on a scale, or else at top of scale.

But yes, thousands others have got increments during last 5 years.

There have been three PS paycuts:

(1) general cut to gross pay, graduated, averaging about 7%
    (2) PRD - typical rate 10%
    (3) more recent HRA changes

Note that workers pay the PRD on top of their normal pension conts, in case anybody suggests that "they don't pay for their pensions"

Also note that some groups like young teachers have taken 5 paycuts.

Geuze wrote: »
    Just a few points:

Thousands of workers don't get increments as not on a scale, or else at top of scale.

But yes, thousands others have got increments during last 5 years.

There have been three PS paycuts:

(1) general cut to gross pay, graduated, averaging about 7%
    (2) PRD - typical rate 10%
    (3) more recent HRA changes

Note that workers pay the PRD on top of their normal pension conts, in case anybody suggests that "they don't pay for their pensions"

Also note that some groups like young teachers have taken 5 paycuts.

A high % of PS do not pay enough for the pension that they get thats a fact.

Well then you will accept the fact that with increments 6 rounds of them that a lot of people in the public sector have not taken pay cuts either and are back or above the levels they were being paid in 2008?

Of course it may be possible .. if you pick a particular grade and if that particular grade provides for annual increments and if a person had that many increments remaining. The one thing that isn't the case is that the person is back to where they would have been prior to 2008. You can argue as long as you wish around the validity or otherwise or increments but even if a person has received them, their pay is anything up to 20% lower today than it would had been if the pay cuts were not implemented . Everything else is semantics and simply provides useful fodder for ongoing debating/arguing.
    Where are you getting 20% pay cut from as far as I was aware it was 7% average a pension levy (a contribution for a defined benefit..One which the country has not got the capacity to cover at the moment) where is the other % coming from?

I know despite the huge volumes of discussion on here alone around PS pay cuts people still won't accept the fact as have been presented. End of discussion for me
    No not cut to zero but to an appropriate level that is affordable at present and increments should be abolished until our deficit is gone.

Presumably objective group of non-PS will be assembled to decide on what is the appropriate level ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

golfwallah wrote: »
    I think you may be mixing cause and effect here.

When private companies provide value to their customers (cause), they become profitable (effect). And when that value is unique (and not just another “me too” operation), they become even more profitable, or will be perceived as being likely to become so in the future. There is also the impact of competition, which requires such companies to be cost-effective, innovative and responsive to changing customer / market needs. Examples are: CRH, Kerry Group, Ryanair, DCC, Glanbia, Paddy Power, etc.

I’d agree that it is a bit more difficult to measure value for money and effect change in the Public Service .... but it isn’t impossible. The main factors behind these difficulties are the absence of a pricing mechanism and competition, the inability of management to deal effectively with trade unions and inertia brought about by government /local authority ability to put off change through tax increases and borrowing. Yes, we are seeing some changes (e.g. contracting out of bin services) but it’s all happening very slowly – and even more slowly now that the Troika are gone. And while Minister Howlin (the real Taoiseach) dithers and procrastinates, and Minister Burton fails to tackle “out of control” welfare spending, the taxpayer has to pick up the bill.

The profit mechanism combined with flexible policies and enforcement of competitive practice can be a powerful factor in delivering real value to end users.

At the same time, some services and some things would not be possible if focused on profit alone. That's okay, as long as the people delivering these services are evaluated in terms of delivering to set objectives and generating constant improvement. The employees should be rewarded, financially or through other methods when they deliver better results.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Where are these people? My brother is private sector and has had his pay slashed by a third - no bonuses or increments or privelege days for him!

While it may be the case for some .. at least there is evidence that things are picking up for others

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland/more-smes-to-celebrate-christmas-this-year-1.1598847

An important point here relates to motivation of staff .. it is good for employers to treat their staff every now and again .. except when my taxes pay for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

You present both of these statements as fact yet I cannot find anything anywhere on the web (apart from posts and blogs giving out about the public sector) to back up these type of statements. Can you find something factual and recent that backs up either of these claims?

Godge wrote: »
    You present both of these statements as fact yet I cannot find anything anywhere on the web (apart from posts and blogs giving out about the public sector) to back up these type of statements. Can you find something factual and recent that backs up either of these claims?

Godge do some research on the looming pension crisis. And on defined benefit v.s defined contribution and it will be staring out at you from your screen pal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nobody has ever suggested that employees should pay the full cost of their pensions.

Pensions costs are shared between employer and worker.

It is true that past PS workers got a good deal - yes, I agree with you.

But current and future workers will be paying in more, and getting out less.

PS workers pay 6.5% and now the recent PRD at 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Statisically your brother is in a relatively small minority. Outside of construction, cuts of this magnitude are relatively unusual. Most people have no cuts, or modest cuts now being restored.

Even if this were true, it can only be used as a jiustification, not as the basis for denying the existence of a paycut. So for once and all would people stop denying that PS have had paycuts, up to 25%-30% in the top.

Any poster denying the truth has no credibility.

Godge do some research on the looming pension crisis. And on defined benefit v.s defined contribution and it will be staring out at you from your screen pal

Yawn, this has been done to death.

http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/vfmreports/68_Central_Gov_Pensions.pdf

Here is the C&AG Report done in 2009.

Interesting that none has been done since. Why?

"After taking account of the assets held in the funded schemes and €5.4 billion of assets held in the NPRF, it is estimated that the net present value of the accrued pension liabilities at the end of 2008 amounted to €101 billion."

That figure will now be less because of

(1) The paycuts in 2010 and 2013 to existing public servants
    (2) The cuts to pensions in excess of €32,000.

The report explicitly said that the early retirement schemes will increase pensions in the short term but decrease them in the longer terms and it had not taken this into consideration:

"The impact of the scheme will be to increase pension outflows in the short term and to reduce them in the longer term due to the lower number of years’ service achieved by those taking early retirement."

It also assumed salary and pension increases:

"the expected pension at retirement was calculated allowing for future general salary inflation"

"The value of the accrued pension liability is calculated assuming that future pension increases are awarded at the same rate as general salary inflation i.e. 1.75% p.a. above price inflation (pay parity)."

Well, salary increases ain't happening. Inflation is slightly above zero since 2008 with a sharp fall in 2009 being offset by small increases since. So the 1.75% accumulator didn't happen. By 2013, this should have resulted in over a 9% increase in salary rates. Didn't happen.

So the figure of €101 billion in accrued pension liabilities is an overestimate, probably by as much as 20%. It also takes no account of the level of income likely to be received from pension contributions and PRD.

The report does go on to consider these issues:

"While the foregoing paragraphs have considered the present value of entitlements which have accrued to date, it is also useful to examine the future trend in payments. Unlike the accrued pensions liability which reflects benefits earned to date, these cash flows reflect the monetary impact of future recruitment and retirement patterns."

"It is estimated, based on the examination assumptions used, that the cumulative gross outflows in the period 2009 to 2058 will amount to €367 billion and net outflows will amount to €157 billion".

Now this figure takes account of money received as well as money going out. It also includes the current accrued liability of €101bn. Certain assumptions are made:

"Annual gross cash outflows are projected to increase by over 500% from €2.4 billion in 2009 to €14.7 billion in 2058 in constant 2008 price terms. Contribution income, including PRD, is also projected to increase by over 300% from €1.7 billion to €7.4 billion".

So outflows will grow faster than income. We will return to that.

"The projected growth in the number of pensioners results from an increase in size of the public service which is forecast to increase by 23% between 2008 and 2018."

Well that is another thing that ain't going to happen.

http://www.budget.gov.ie/The%20National%20Recovery%20Plan%202011-2014.pdf

"Cut public service staff numbers by 24,750 over 2008 levels, back to levels last seen in 2005"

That is a cut of about 10% rather than growth of 23%. Now remember that expenditure was rising faster than income. That means for every extra public servant projected the net bill gets higher but for every less public servant the net bill gets lower. Our €157 bn is getting smaller again. Probably by as much as one-third? Then you need to have an idea about what is going to happen salary inflation from 2008 onwards. Well we know the first five years have not gone according to plan and if I was a public servant, I wouldn't be betting on my salary returning to 2008 levels before 2020, by which stage it could be 20-30% behind the C&AG predictions.

Appendix C looks at some sensitivity options. It considers what higher salary increases would mean but doesn't look at what salary cuts (which we have had to date) or lower salary increases (which are likely over the course of the study because of the front-loaded salary cuts) would mean. However, in examining salary increases the following statement is made:

"The impact of increasing the assumed real rates of wage growth (the real rate is the amount in excess of price inflation) and State Social Insurance pension increases by 0.5% per annum was examined. Increasing the real rates by 0.5% per annum would lead to a revised assumption for real general salary inflation and State pension increases of 2.25% per annum. The impact on the value of the accrued pension liability is shown in Figure C.3.

"The total liability increases from €106.6 billion to €117.1 billion (net of assets held within funded pension schemes but before allowance for NPRF assets) which is an increase of 10%."

When you consider that in actual fact we have seen more than the opposite - i.e. salaries being cut rather than inflation plus 2.25%, you can only conclude that the long-term liability has been cut significantly.

Now you see why there has been no official study since 2008. The costs of future public service pensions have been significantly reduced both by the cuts in pay and pensions but also by the cuts in numbers. All of these measures are significantly below where the 2008 study assumed they would be. The government doesn't want anyone studying this. Imagine if an independent study found that the 2008 pension liability had been cut by say one-third, in the order of €50 bn?

But, hay, you and others can continue on your ill-informed rant about public servants and the pension liability.

Now do some research yourself.

Geuze wrote: »
    Nobody has ever suggested that employees should pay the full cost of their pensions.

Pensions costs are shared between employer and worker.

It is true that past PS workers got a good deal - yes, I agree with you.

But current and future workers will be paying in more, and getting out less.

PS workers pay 6.5% and now the recent PRD at 10%.

Why should the vast majority of the current 1.4million private sector worker tax payer overpay in tax in order to protect current and future pensions in the Public sector when they cannot pay for their own. Its a disgrace. The government then have the cheek to raid money from the private pension pot and then suggest that people should start putting in more money to their pensions...The current ps scheme should be stopped as of now if they want pensions let them pay the appropriate amount for what they get..It cannot be afforded..

OldNotWIse wrote: »

I have not seen any either but I would hazard a guess that there are companies in the private sector paying bonuses

You say not all have been paid 6 years of increments and then suggest that all have taken 20% pay cuts when that figure would be at the upper end of the spectum ..You have selective analysis for your posts and then you try to spin your argument that 20% and no pay increments?

ardmacha wrote: »
    Statisically your brother is in a relatively small minority. Outside of construction, cuts of this magnitude are relatively unusual. Most people have no cuts, or modest cuts now being restored.

Even if this were true, it can only be used as a jiustification, not as the basis for denying the existence of a paycut. So for once and all would people stop denying that PS have had paycuts, up to 25%-30% in the top.

Any poster denying the truth has no credibility.

Where have I denied that they never took a pay cut..? I just want balance in this..The fact is in a year or twos time (with current pay incrments) we will be paying as much for the public sector pay and pensions as we were back in 2008 and this is with about 30k less people working in the sector..How can that be sustained?

As for the comparing cuts in private and public sector hows about the 1/4 of million who joined the dole queue at least 95% of them were from the private sector..the other 5% from the public sector who got a nice redundancy package to jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Fliball are you taking inflation into account? This is a hugely important factor and negates any naive analysis.

• Advertisement

Yawn, this has been done to death.

http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/vfmreports/68_Central_Gov_Pensions.pdf

Here is the C&AG Report done in 2009.

Interesting that none has been done since. Why?

"After taking account of the assets held in the funded schemes and €5.4 billion of assets held in the NPRF, it is estimated that the net present value of the accrued pension liabilities at the end of 2008 amounted to €101 billion."

That figure will now be less because of

(1) The paycuts in 2010 and 2013 to existing public servants
    (2) The cuts to pensions in excess of €32,000.

The report explicitly said that the early retirement schemes will increase pensions in the short term but decrease them in the longer terms and it had not taken this into consideration:

"The impact of the scheme will be to increase pension outflows in the short term and to reduce them in the longer term due to the lower number of years’ service achieved by those taking early retirement."

It also assumed salary and pension increases:

"the expected pension at retirement was calculated allowing for future general salary inflation"

"The value of the accrued pension liability is calculated assuming that future pension increases are awarded at the same rate as general salary inflation i.e. 1.75% p.a. above price inflation (pay parity)."

Well, salary increases ain't happening. Inflation is slightly above zero since 2008 with a sharp fall in 2009 being offset by small increases since. So the 1.75% accumulator didn't happen. By 2013, this should have resulted in over a 9% increase in salary rates. Didn't happen.

So the figure of €101 billion in accrued pension liabilities is an overestimate, probably by as much as 20%. It also takes no account of the level of income likely to be received from pension contributions and PRD.

The report does go on to consider these issues:

"While the foregoing paragraphs have considered the present value of entitlements which have accrued to date, it is also useful to examine the future trend in payments. Unlike the accrued pensions liability which reflects benefits earned to date, these cash flows reflect the monetary impact of future recruitment and retirement patterns."

"It is estimated, based on the examination assumptions used, that the cumulative gross outflows in the period 2009 to 2058 will amount to €367 billion and net outflows will amount to €157 billion".

Now this figure takes account of money received as well as money going out. It also includes the current accrued liability of €101bn. Certain assumptions are made:

"Annual gross cash outflows are projected to increase by over 500% from €2.4 billion in 2009 to €14.7 billion in 2058 in constant 2008 price terms. Contribution income, including PRD, is also projected to increase by over 300% from €1.7 billion to €7.4 billion".

So outflows will grow faster than income. We will return to that.

"The projected growth in the number of pensioners results from an increase in size of the public service which is forecast to increase by 23% between 2008 and 2018."

Well that is another thing that ain't going to happen.

http://www.budget.gov.ie/The%20National%20Recovery%20Plan%202011-2014.pdf

"Cut public service staff numbers by 24,750 over 2008 levels, back to levels last seen in 2005"

That is a cut of about 10% rather than growth of 23%. Now remember that expenditure was rising faster than income. That means for every extra public servant projected the net bill gets higher but for every less public servant the net bill gets lower. Our €157 bn is getting smaller again. Probably by as much as one-third? Then you need to have an idea about what is going to happen salary inflation from 2008 onwards. Well we know the first five years have not gone according to plan and if I was a public servant, I wouldn't be betting on my salary returning to 2008 levels before 2020, by which stage it could be 20-30% behind the C&AG predictions.

Appendix C looks at some sensitivity options. It considers what higher salary increases would mean but doesn't look at what salary cuts (which we have had to date) or lower salary increases (which are likely over the course of the study because of the front-loaded salary cuts) would mean. However, in examining salary increases the following statement is made:

"The impact of increasing the assumed real rates of wage growth (the real rate is the amount in excess of price inflation) and State Social Insurance pension increases by 0.5% per annum was examined. Increasing the real rates by 0.5% per annum would lead to a revised assumption for real general salary inflation and State pension increases of 2.25% per annum. The impact on the value of the accrued pension liability is shown in Figure C.3.

"The total liability increases from €106.6 billion to €117.1 billion (net of assets held within funded pension schemes but before allowance for NPRF assets) which is an increase of 10%."

When you consider that in actual fact we have seen more than the opposite - i.e. salaries being cut rather than inflation plus 2.25%, you can only conclude that the long-term liability has been cut significantly.

Now you see why there has been no official study since 2008. The costs of future public service pensions have been significantly reduced both by the cuts in pay and pensions but also by the cuts in numbers. All of these measures are significantly below where the 2008 study assumed they would be. The government doesn't want anyone studying this. Imagine if an independent study found that the 2008 pension liability had been cut by say one-third, in the order of €50 bn?

But, hay, you and others can continue on your ill-informed rant about public servants and the pension liability.

Now do some research yourself.

Thats laughable..a report in 2009 , 4 years ago..We have a fierce rise in the Average Age of people dying meaning we are now on the hook longer. I agree there are some cuts that will in the long run as in people who joined in the last 3/4 years will make it less expensive..Which is a crook as with the recruitment moratorium that has gone on in the ps in the last few years very few new employees have come in.

But as I say there has been some cuts but still no where near what is needed and they are still not paying in enough to cover the shortfall and that will be the case until the defined benefit scheme is changed

The fact is in a year or twos time (with current pay incrments) we will be paying as much for the public sector pay and pensions as we were back in 2008 and this is with about 30k less people working in the sector..How can that be sustained?

This is not true. Either show some document that suggests this or withdraw this untruth.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Fliball are you taking inflation into account? This is a hugely important factor and negates any naive analysis.

Whats naive about me paying 52% of every Euro I earn after 32k..Or knowing my kid and grandkids will be forced to pay for current PS pensioners to live their life out in decadence and the fact that they did not pay anywhere near enough to have the pension they are living on. Hows about we are going to borrow another 10 billion next year to pay for all of the above along with other expenses that are still too high.. How does inflation negate any of that.?

ardmacha wrote: »
    This is not true. Either show some document that suggests this or withdraw this untruth.

I wont withdraw it ..You watch for the actual pay (including contractors and not estimates) and pensions figure for the end of 2015 (if things remain as they are obviously) and compare to 2008 figures

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah, a pity in some ways, that instead of just being at the edge of the cliff, looking into the abyss, that we didnt fall off, would have been very painful for some, but it could have sorted out a lot of our problems and ridiculous borrowing, fairly quickly..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

How does inflation negate any of that.?
    it devalues it and if it is frozen for several years, it is eating away at it cumulatively...

Where have I denied that they never took a pay cut..? I just want balance in this..The fact is in a year or twos time (with current pay incrments) we will be paying as much for the public sector pay and pensions as we were back in 2008 and this is with about 30k less people working in the sector..How can that be sustained?

As for the comparing cuts in private and public sector hows about the 1/4 of million who joined the dole queue at least 95% of them were from the private sector..the other 5% from the public sector who got a nice redundancy package to jump.
    Thats laughable..a report in 2009 , 4 years ago..We have a fierce rise in the Average Age of people dying meaning we are now on the hook longer. I agree there are some cuts that will in the long run as in people who joined in the last 3/4 years will make it less expensive..Which is a crook as with the recruitment moratorium that has gone on in the ps in the last few years very few new employees have come in.

But as I say there has been some cuts but still no where near what is needed and they are still not paying in enough to cover the shortfall and that will be the case until the defined benefit scheme is changed
    Whats naive about me paying 52% of every Euro I earn after 32k..Or knowing my kid and grandkids will be forced to pay for current PS pensioners to live their life out in decadence and the fact that they did not pay anywhere near enough to have the pension they are living on. Hows about we are going to borrow another 10 billion next year to pay for all of the above along with other expenses that are still too high.. How does inflation negate any of that.?
    I wont withdraw it ..You watch for the actual pay (including contractors and not estimates) and pensions figure for the end of 2015 (if things remain as they are obviously) and compare to 2008 figures

http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2014/EstimateStatement.aspx

"I would like to acknowledge the contribution that public servants have made to our recovery.

Over the course of the last 5 years, the Public Service has reduced in size by almost 10%. The cost of the pay bill has fallen even further, by some 17%, and the Haddington Road Agreement that I reached with Public Service unions earlier this year will permit that cost to fall further again.

These savings need to be protected and sustained, which means that we must continue to demand further efficiency in the system. And we must ensure that Public Service managers across every sector make full use of the 15 million extra hours and the other hard-won workplace flexibilities agreed in Haddington Road."

Instead of just posting rubbish, maybe you should do a little bit of research.

Very convenient, to propose a figure for 2015 and state that estimates cannot be used to refute your figure, meaning that it will be two years before you are uncovered.

No serious commentator has suggested this. Some commentators have quibbled over whether the cut will be 15% or 20%, but nobody has suggested an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Am I correct in my reading of the report that they mistakenly inlcuded the pension levy in their calculations? Considering that were are reminded ad-nauseam that it was a pay cut and not related to pensions, if they did use the pension in their calculations then their error would need to be corrected for.

• Advertisement

So how much of a PS pay cut are you prepared to admit to?

This old chestnut again. Its very unfortunate that so many private sector employees lost their jobs but I still don't see what this has got to do with relative pay cuts for those remaining in employment. A PS employees has the same cost of living has a private sector employee, same mortgage/rental costs, same food, heat, childcare costs, etc, etc.

You're very much entitled to your opinions but the reality is PS pay was cut between 12- 15% plus a further cut of 5.5% last July for the higher paid PS. While you are correct that too many private sector employees have lost their jobs the other side of the equation that many of those who remain in employment have not done so badly with pay freezes and modest pay increases being the norm.

Advertisement