Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlement Culture killing the will to work in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Icepick wrote: »
    How much you pay should matter.
    It's obscene that you can pay much more in PRSI than someone else and be entitled to much less.

How does the last poster get less? The only people getting screwed are the self-employed, who pay the same prsi but can't claim many of the benefits (they can claim maternity however).

Why complain about a flat rate of tax? The alternative would be a progressive rate where "high earners" would pay even more - as with income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We don't pay enough PRSI here at all, so while I can see the point about those paying a lower rate or none at all, it's a rather moot one for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭A Scoundrel

pwurple wrote: »
    The % of OAPs is only going to get bigger. Our demographics suggest that the largest group was born in the baby boom of the 80's?
    No. The Irish baby boom is only coming to an end at present. I was born at the start of the baby boom, and many of my generation are paying for the excesses of our compatriots - not through dole money (a mere 15% of the welfare budget) but through the sense of the greedy, unabashed entitlement of our elders, who blankly refuse pay cuts, redundancy, and pension (welfare) cuts at the expense of younger generations.

Believe me, we the under 30's are the generation who understand austerity.

I graduated in an age of economic turmoil and mass unemployment across the European continent. No older workers can remember the Great Depression. The under 30s are the first generation in over a century to be worse off than our parents, and we know all about it.
    I'm a working pregnant woman, who, despite paying PRSI at the highest rate for the last 15 years, just had my maternity benefit cut (mid-pregnancy), while those who have never paid PRSI, or paid the minimum amount, just had their benefit increased.
    Ireland is a Republic. Maybe you disapprove of Republicanism by its literal meaning, but it essentially pertains to equality among children.It means that whether I am born to a layabout or to a hard working economic hero, I will be given the same start in life insofar as the State has a voice to say so.

I am, frankly, appalled that a prospective mother would take any other approach, whereby a child of non working parents would be punished, or seen as less deserving of state revenues than a child lucky enough to be born of working parents.

Your child is being born into a working family. That's an enormous economic advantage. Do you even realize this? Don't feel so sorry for your unborn child, think of all the ways he or she will benefit from having working parents: your child is one of the lucky ones.

Stop wishing you could take away from the less fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vwhead

this post sickens me im 19 and unemployed since i left school last june and id say ive applied for more jobs and got more nos than the OP has had hot dinners and yet im referred to as scum because im on the dole ? Firstly not everyone on social welfare are scum i come from a good background and unfortunatly entered my working life in the worst time possible as like many other people out there!

I dont spend my money on drink! since i left school i have got my full lisence all paid for buy myself from day i booked theory test i have got a forklift cert, safepass course and bought a car and insuring it myself on my own policy with no help from mammy and daddy so please tel me how i spend MY money smoking and getting pissed just because im unemployed true no fault of my own because i was still in primary school when the country was at the hieght of the celtic tiger.

what right do you have telling me what i can spend my money and cant spend my money on ? Its funny how you say we are taking your hard earned money and spending it on what we want and living 'luxery lifestyles' when the goverment are the people who are actually taking your money off you ( you also have no right to tel them what to spend your hard earned money on like your saying) if they didnt line there own pockets with it and put more into creating employment then we would all be better off!

Id hate to see your kids or family member become unemployed and have to go on social welfare because they have no choice i reckon you better tell them now that your going to think of them as scum!

Yes there is scum in all walks of life but people who tar everyone with the same brush just because they are in a better position and feel they need to jack off by doing it are the worst scum! If your that bothered about people on social welfare and have nothing else to do why dont do something to help everyone instead of being a prick!

or how about leave your job go back to full time education for a few years and when your finished that let us no how easy it is to find a job in your new profession as thats the harsh reality that alot of young people who are just starting off there working lifes have to face take it or leave it like the rest of us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

No. The Irish baby boom is only coming to an end at present. I was born at the start of the baby boom, and many of my generation are paying for the excesses of our compatriots - not through dole money (a mere 15% of the welfare budget) but through the sense of the greedy, unabashed entitlement of our elders, who blankly refuse pay cuts, redundancy, and pension (welfare) cuts at the expense of younger generations.

Believe me, we the under 30's are the generation who understand austerity.

I graduated in an age of economic turmoil and mass unemployment across the European continent. No older workers can remember the Great Depression. The under 30s are the first generation in over a century to be worse off than our parents, and we know all about it.

Ireland is a Republic. Maybe you disapprove of Republicanism by its literal meaning, but it essentially pertains to equality among children.It means that whether I am born to a layabout or to a hard working economic hero, I will be given the same start in life insofar as the State has a voice to say so.

I am, frankly, appalled that a prospective mother would take any other approach, whereby a child of non working parents would be punished, or seen as less deserving of state revenues than a child lucky enough to be born of working parents.

Your child is being born into a working family. That's an enormous economic advantage. Do you even realize this? Don't feel so sorry for your unborn child, think of all the ways he or she will benefit from having working parents: your child is one of the lucky ones.

Stop wishing you could take away from the less fortunate.

I am,equally frankly,appalled at a most un-republican attempt at twisting pwurple's opinion into something that it's not,at least to my reading.
    I'm a working pregnant woman, who, despite paying PRSI at the highest rate for the last 15 years, just had my maternity benefit cut (mid-pregnancy), while those who have never paid PRSI, or paid the minimum amount, just had their benefit increased. What kind of completely messed up policy is that? What is my PRSI even for? I will now work out with less net income for the length of my maternity leave than someone who has not paid tax, because I will go out and work the rest of the year, and the benefit is taxed. It's utterly stupid policies like this which make working taxpayers think about chucking in jobs, because they will do better without one.

Two reasonable questions,posed from a highly pertinent perspective,only to be slapped down with an unsustainable accusatory tag-line...
    Stop wishing you could take away from the less fortunate

Posing valid questions relating to the nature of ,supposedly PAY Related,Social Insurance benefits,does not equate to suggesting that ANYBODY have deserved,funded or otherwise earned benefits taken away.

It is somewhat glib,and not a little patronizing to make claims such as this...
    Recent reports such as this,appear to at least recognize that the supposed"enormous ecomomic advantage" of working may not be actually as universal as portrayed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/some-75-of-mortgage-arrears-cases-involve-employed-people-1.1675022

I believe pwurple asks valid questions,and ones not easily answered in modern Irelands prevailing atmosphere.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

From reading the last few posts, one thing that entitlements have done in Ireland is make everyone feel like they are worse off than everyone else.

Firstly, the fact that you live in a country where you get a decent amount of money for doing nothing(unless you have kids where you get more for something you did) is a huge bonus that no one seems to appreciate.
    People were starving and dying in the depression in the last century and indeed during our own great famine less than 200 years ago.

It’s pointless to highlight individual cases, as everyone just likes to feel sorry for themselves.
    Only comparing yourself to someone else in Ireland is a joke…..compare yourself to someone in your situation in most other countries in the world….you don’t know how good you have it.

Save your dole money if you’re a young person living at one and set up something yourself….or save for a ticket to somewhere else where you can get work.

If you get homesick and can’t leave home, then at least appreciate you are one of the few on this planet that has the luxury and choosing this as an option.
    People all over the world are so much worse off than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

srsly78 wrote: »
    How does the last poster get less? The only people getting screwed are the self-employed, who pay the same prsi but can't claim many of the benefits (they can claim maternity however).

How do I get less? Well, the mat benefit is €230 per week for 6 months. But it's taxed. So because I go out and earn for the rest of the year, I pay tax on that €230.... which Miss No Contributions does not. So I end up getting 230 minus tax, while she gets 230 tax-free.

The self-employed ALSO get screwed. Big time.

As do landlords... who now pay PRSI on rent. When is a rental property ever going to claim jobseekers?

Just because multiple groups are getting screwed over by regressive ill-thought out policy, introduced only in the last 2 budgets, does not make it ok.

But it's ok that my child is less deserving somehow? Why should I get less net mat benefit than someone else, when I am the one paying tax, and they are not? Explain how that is fair to me please, because I don't see it.

You can't even argue I had any kind of time to save for this, it was brought in in January 2014. I'm due the start of march, and I can't legally work anymore after mid-feb. Changing the rules mid-pregnancy is utterly abhorant. I know the argument will be, don't have children if you can't afford them, but what was I supposed to do, abort the child at 28 weeks when the rules changed under my feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

vwhead wrote: »
    this post sickens me im 19 and unemployed since i left school last june and id say ive applied for more jobs and got more nos than the OP has had hot dinners and yet im referred to as scum because im on the dole ? Firstly not everyone on social welfare are scum i come from a good background and unfortunatly entered my working life in the worst time possible as like many other people out there!

I dont spend my money on drink! since i left school i have got my full lisence all paid for buy myself from day i booked theory test i have got a forklift cert, safepass course and bought a car and insuring it myself on my own policy with no help from mammy and daddy so please tel me how i spend MY money smoking and getting pissed just because im unemployed true no fault of my own because i was still in primary school when the country was at the hieght of the celtic tiger.

what right do you have telling me what i can spend my money and cant spend my money on ? Its funny how you say we are taking your hard earned money and spending it on what we want and living 'luxery lifestyles' when the goverment are the people who are actually taking your money off you ( you also have no right to tel them what to spend your hard earned money on like your saying) if they didnt line there own pockets with it and put more into creating employment then we would all be better off!

Id hate to see your kids or family member become unemployed and have to go on social welfare because they have no choice i reckon you better tell them now that your going to think of them as scum!

Yes there is scum in all walks of life but people who tar everyone with the same brush just because they are in a better position and feel they need to jack off by doing it are the worst scum! If your that bothered about people on social welfare and have nothing else to do why dont do something to help everyone instead of being a prick!

or how about leave your job go back to full time education for a few years and when your finished that let us no how easy it is to find a job in your new profession as thats the harsh reality that alot of young people who are just starting off there working lifes have to face take it or leave it like the rest of us!!
    I’m afraid you’re missing the point, which is about out of work people drifting into a career choice of social welfare as opposed to finding other solutions.

I sympathise with anyone who finds themselves unemployed and greatly appreciate the frustration involved. But there are options to get yourself out of your predicament, if only you set about finding them in a positive manner.

None of these options may be easy but they are there if you look for them. And the only post on this thread so far to contain the word “scum” has been your own. How about calmly taking a realistic look at your skill sets / experience and how these are a match for what is in demand out there in the labour market?

No it may not be fair, but it’s nigh on impossible to change the world – that’s life. We can only change ourselves.

So, figure out how you can improve on the skill sets / experience you have to offer (through further training / education), so you can get a job at home or plan to go elsewhere to where there is a demand for your skills / competencies.

At the end of the day, the answer in your own hands – not government or anyone else. And I’m not saying this in a vacuum – I emigrated myself for 5 years and continuously engaged in further education / training to keep pace with changing work requirements.

You've got to seize the initiative yourself if you want to get more control over your life – not easy, I know – and I guess I’m only reflecting back what you know yourself anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

How do I get less? Well, the mat benefit is €230 per week for 6 months. But it's taxed. So because I go out and earn for the rest of the year, I pay tax on that €230.... which Miss No Contributions does not. So I end up getting 230 minus tax, while she gets 230 tax-free.

The self-employed ALSO get screwed. Big time.

As do landlords... who now pay PRSI on rent. When is a rental property ever going to claim jobseekers?

Just because multiple groups are getting screwed over by regressive ill-thought out policy, introduced only in the last 2 budgets, does not make it ok.

Maybe they are factoring in the idea that if she hasn't contributed she likely hasn't earned a lot so will have less disposable income? Or the fact that some employers top it up? Not saying its right or wrong, and I dont really know the thinking behind it tbh.

Edit: I'm genuinley not being smart but the point about you being deserving of more because you pay more tax is not really a logical one. The whole point of a social assistance system is to help those who are less well off and more vulnerable - its not some kind of pot that we all contribute into and then take back a proportionate dividend. I could argue that I dont want my tax paying maternity or child benefit at all beacuse I may not want children but thats not how the system works. You're not entitled to more just because you contribute more.

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Maybe they are factoring in the idea that if she hasn't contributed she likely hasn't earned a lot so will have less disposable income? Or the fact that some employers top it up? Not saying its right or wrong, and I dont really know the thinking behind it tbh.
    Net disposable income is usually calculated monthly though, is it not? Mine will be less for the duration of the time that I am recovering from childbirth, with a newborn to look after. Yes, some employers do top it up, mainly for public servants it seems. However, they are not required to, and mine does not. Making the assumption that they do for policy decisions is incorrect.
    Edit: I'm genuinley not being smart but the point about you being deserving of more because you pay more tax is not really a logical one.
    I'm not saying I deserve more, I'm asking why I deserve less? Why was mine cut, and others raised?

You're not entitled to more just because you contribute more.
    I have no issue with paying tax on wages. Of course I understand services that I use need to be provided, and people need to be looked after. I even support property tax (although as usual the implementation is messed up), I thought private rates should never have been removed in the first place. However, PRSI is being eroded into just another income tax, which is not what it was ever intended to be.

PRSI has always been pay-related social insurance. A fund you pay into, and once you have accumulated a certain amount, you gain the ability to claim certain benefits. From the welfare website: To get Jobseeker’s Benefit you must have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions. This was also the case for various other benefits. Why is this system being diluted down?

How was it cut? You are just paying tax on it, that doesn't mean it was cut. For tax purposes your annual income and tax credits are considered - it's not just a month by month thing.

Similarly with JSB vs JSA - one is means tested. Also similarly with contributory pension vs non-contributory.

srsly78 wrote: »
    How was it cut? You are just paying tax on it, that doesn't mean it was cut.

It was cut in the last budget from 262 to 230 for PRSI payers. I'll refer you to the budget documents as a source. Non PRSI payers got an increase.

Making it taxable was done the previous year.

Net disposable income is usually calculated monthly though, is it not? Mine will be less for the duration of the time that I am recovering from childbirth, with a newborn to look after. Yes, some employers do top it up, mainly for public servants it seems. However, they are not required to, and mine does not. Making the assumption that they do for policy decisions is incorrect.

I'm not saying I deserve more, I'm asking why I deserve less? Why was mine cut, and others raised?

I have no issue with paying tax on wages. Of course I understand services that I use need to be provided, and people need to be looked after. I even support property tax (although as usual the implementation is messed up), I thought private rates should never have been removed in the first place. However, PRSI is being eroded into just another income tax, which is not what it was ever intended to be.

PRSI has always been pay-related social insurance. A fund you pay into, and once you have accumulated a certain amount, you gain the ability to claim certain benefits. From the welfare website: To get Jobseeker’s Benefit you must have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions. This was also the case for various other benefits. Why is this system being diluted down?

I was talking about the fact that you would have had a greater disposable income prior to claiming maternity benefit, not just what you have going forward.

If you dont have enough credit contributions for Jobseekers benefit you can still claim jobseeker's allowance. It's means tested - which means you only get it if you are poor enough to qualify - not something I would be envious or resentful of to be honest.

You argue that people who pay less should get less (or, that those who pay more should be more insulated from cuts) - you do realise that on the flip side of that coin is a monthly payment known as children's allowance - that everyone who has children gets, regardless of means or net disposable income or contributions. If we all adopted the mé fein approach, childless couples could well be up in arms about this.

If we all adopted the mé fein approach, childless couples could well be up in arms about this.

Makes no sense. I don't know any adults who have not themselves BEEN a child. No-one is born fully grown.

They have already received child benefit.

Makes no sense. I don't know any adults who have not themselves BEEN a child. No-one is born fully grown.

Really? Everyone who is an adult now received child benefit? Are you sure?

It was cut in the last budget from 262 to 230 for PRSI payers. I'll refer you to the budget documents as a source. Non PRSI payers got an increase.

Making it taxable was done the previous year.

It says here they just standardised it: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Edit: I'm genuinley not being smart but the point about you being deserving of more because you pay more tax is not really a logical one. The whole point of a social assistance system is to help those who are less well off and more vulnerable - its not some kind of pot that we all contribute into and then take back a proportionate dividend. I could argue that I dont want my tax paying maternity or child benefit at all beacuse I may not want children but thats not how the system works. You're not entitled to more just because you contribute more.

There is a difference between social insurance payments and social welfare payments.

There is a good argument that social insurance payments should be higher because they reflect the fact that an individual has paid in a certain amount of contributions into the social insurance fund and therefore deserves to get something back for that contribution.

The payments into the social insurance fund (PRSI) are separate and additional to the income tax payments that person makes to fund the social welfare payment to the person who had made no contributions as well as funding the provision of public services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Not necessarily. Child benefit was introduced in 1944 and initially wasn't a universal benefit. It also didn't apply up to 18 at first. There are therefore a lot of people aged over 70 who never got child benefit.

Interesting that, given the stick pensioners get?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭A Scoundrel

But it's ok that my child is less deserving somehow?
    How is your child "less deserving" or, in other words, a net 'victim'?.

Your foetus and the foetus in a non-morking mother's uterus are equals, even if you don't like that; the State will help each family to raise each child in a uniform manner, in the sense that there is a minimum threshold under which no child will, in theory, be raised in poverty.

Guess what,and please read this twice: working people pay more tax than the unempoyed.

If you don't like that you're free to join the dole heap, but of course, you'd be financially worse off.
    You can't even argue I had any kind of time to save for this, it was brought in in January 2014. I'm due the start of march, and I can't legally work anymore after mid-feb. Changing the rules mid-pregnancy is utterly abhorant. I know the argument will be, don't have children if you can't afford them, but what was I supposed to do, abort the child at 28 weeks when the rules changed under my feet?
    You're losing a *maximum* of 30 quid, and you're talking about an abortion?

I think you're the one who needs to reflect on your argument, not I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I was talking about the fact that you would have had a greater disposable income prior to claiming maternity benefit, not just what you have going forward.

If you dont have enough credit contributions for Jobseekers benefit you can still claim jobseeker's allowance. It's means tested - which means you only get it if you are poor enough to qualify - not something I would be envious or resentful of to be honest.

You argue that people who pay less should get less (or, that those who pay more should be more insulated from cuts) - you do realise that on the flip side of that coin is a monthly payment known as children's allowance - that everyone who has children gets, regardless of means or net disposable income or contributions. If we all adopted the mé fein approach, childless couples could well be up in arms about this.

I do not think that this is the point working people are trying to get across. however over the last six years working people have suffered disporportionally to all other sectors. The cost of going to work is enormous as a report of the ERSI showed that was quashed as it showed up government policy. People on incomes over 33K in Ireland pay more tax than most other European Country's. Some posters mentioned about PRSI being low in Ireland while it may be USC and general taxation are high.

Over the last few budgets government has made small changes that effect workers. This discourages work. Last year it was the PRSI change that took 250 euro/year off workers. This year it was the taxation of benifits. The reality is that young working couples that want to have children are being squeezed, the cost of childcare and third level education is a substandical cost that workers have to factor in. Also we the large cost of health insurance/medical/dental charges means that workers see little on no benifit from the tax they pay. However because of a marginal taxation rate of 52% there ability to handle this even on good wages are find that the benifit of working has been seriously eroded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I'm genuinley not being smart but the point about you being deserving of more because you pay more tax is not really a logical one. The whole point of a social assistance system is to help those who are less well off and more vulnerable - its not some kind of pot that we all contribute into and then take back a proportionate dividend. I could argue that I dont want my tax paying maternity or child benefit at all beacuse I may not want children but thats not how the system works. You're not entitled to more just because you contribute more.
    It is a logical one, some people will always be net benefactors and beneficiaries. I have an issue with the extent of it here Germany operates a system based on the more you pay in the more you get out (in the event of unemployment or state pensions) I'm sure many other countries operate similar. What beggars belief here, is the more you pay in, the less you are "entitled" to...

I do not think that this is the point working people are trying to get across. however over the last six years working people have suffered disporportionally to all other sectors. The cost of going to work is enormous as a report of the ERSI showed that was quashed as it showed up government policy. People on incomes over 33K in Ireland pay more tax than most other European Country's. Some posters mentioned about PRSI being low in Ireland while it may be USC and general taxation are high.
    My sympathy rate would rank as follows:

1. Recently Unemployed - Very sympathetic
    2. Private Sector (depends obviously on individual circumstances)
    3. Public Sector (limited to very limited sympathy)
    5. Pensioners 0% No Sympathy
    4. Long term Leeches 0% No Sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

k.

Just to be clear - if you've never paid PRSI, then you will not get Maternity Benefit.

It seems that you may be suggesting that women who don't work at all, or who have no PRSI conts will get the MB payment.

They won't.

But it's ok that my child is less deserving somehow? Why should I get less net mat benefit than someone else, when I am the one paying tax, and they are not? Explain how that is fair to me please, because I don't see it.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems that you suggest that women who don't pay tax/PRSI will recieve MB, and you will get less MB??

iT is true that MB has been cut, yes.

But women who don't work or pay PRSI will not receive MB.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/mb.aspx

I am on your side.

But please note that this statement is incorrect.

MB is based on PRSI conts.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It is a logical one, some people will always be net benefactors and beneficiaries. I have an issue with the extent of it here Germany operates a system based on the more you pay in the more you get out (in the event of unemployment or state pensions) I'm sure many other countries operate similar. What beggars belief here, is the more you pay in, the less you are "entitled" to...

I dont think it does beggar belief. A social assistance system is for helping the more vulnerable - its not there to reward high earners and more importantly, to treat the children of high earners more favourably than those born into poverty.

I dont think it does beggar belief. A social assistance system is for helping the more vulnerable - its not there to reward high earners and more importantly, to treat the children of high earners more favourably than those born into poverty.
    The government would be better off going a hand up, than a hand out. The current situation has two losers, A) Those who choose not to work and push out their offspring who do the same in a vicious circle B) those funding them. Again define vulnerable? is it a poor old OAP with no real overheads on E230+ per week? Is it 2 public servants on combined incomes of 100k, but with multiple unexpected pay cuts, paying back celtic tiger debts? Is it people who have never worked, hence "low income" with no debts?

Look we all know some have to pay in more and lifes not fair, that some will be major benefactors and other major net beneficiaries. Its the scale of it that I have a problem with.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The government would be better off going a hand up, than a hand out. The current situation has two losers, A) Those who choose not to work and push out their offspring who do the same in a vicious circle B) those funding them. Again define vulnerable? is it a poor old OAP with no real overheads on E230+ per week? Is it 2 public servants on combined incomes of 100k, but with multiple unexpected pay cuts, paying back celtic tiger debts? Is it people who have never worked, hence "low income" with no debts?

Look we all know some have to pay in more and lifes not fair, that some will be major benefactors and other major net beneficiaries. Its the scale of it that I have a problem with.

There are no black and white categories, there's no margin that has poor on one side and not poor on the other. I do not have any sympathy for those (and we all know them) who are essentially generations of welfare families.

As unpopular as this sounds, I have no real symapthy for people paying back "celtic tiger debts". Nobody put a gun to their heads and forced them to pay ridiculous money for dog boxes. Even now I am starting to hear the whispering again - "oh you wont get them at this price for long" (in re to south county dublin houses) - the fuuck?? Are we gonna make the same mistake again? People jumping on the property ladder like lunatics and looking down on those who rented who were "throwing their money away"?

I dont like looking at my payslip either, when I see how it's ravaged each week and how little I get back in benefit but at the end of the day I'd rather work and come out with 500 than not work and try to live on 188. At least that way I can pay my OAP parents mortgage (because yes some OAPs do have "overheads" and its their children, not the state that help them) and my college fees - so I wont always be on 500 a week. :rolleyes: (hopefully)!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I think Sir William Beveridge who is considered the farther of the modern welfare system would be appauled by the way it has developed. It has failed his mission of it to ge rid of his five giants namely Want, Disease, Ignorance, Squalor, and Idleness. But he also had the theory that Welfare payments should be enough to keep body and soul togeather but low enough that any person on them would take the first job available

This is not the case now we have lifetime welfare recipents who make it a lifestyle choice. We have recipents who interest it is not to accept low paid employment. We also have the situtation that those that are on low paid work are often better of unemployed. His idea was to use it to empower workers nad take some of the day to day expense off them. He also taught that when you got old and unable to anylonger work the state should help you after a productive life

And lastly it is now seen as an entitlement rather than as a fall back system. Just look at the welfare threads on boards.

Advertisement