Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you dislike that everyone else loves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Spoiler man come on :(:p

Ha, well the names are made up approximations but so many quests seem to go this way. I don't know if it's a sign of such a well made game if you'd be able to spoil many of the quests by describing one basic scenario/story arc. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Minecraft: Love the concept, but life is too short to dig and craft and build and on and on and on... Sorry but I have a life already.

Pretty much sums up Minecraft for me. People sink hours into building huge structures. I just seems like a waste of time to me. That''s rich coming from me considering how much time I waste of games as is.

Grimebox wrote: »
    Pretty much sums up Minecraft for me. People sink hours into building huge structures. I just seems like a waste of time to me. That''s rich coming from me considering how much time I waste of games as is.

I can see how somebody with a certain kind of mind would be fascinated by the possibilities that a game like Minecraft offers but building a scale replica of the USS Enterprise or even a country? That's just way too much time and if you want to spend that much time doing it, you'd want a more realistic looking end result for your trouble, I think. On the other hand, games of Minecraft that have more objective based, team oriented gameplay and involve the use the use of original structures; that I could get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Minecraft is lego.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Did you never play lego as a kid? I enjoyed the whole survival gameplay a few times when I first played Minecraft, building a castle and making cool stuff, but it's waaay too much like work now - the same reason I never touch MMO's these days. Making complex machinery with redstone wiring was pretty amazing too. I once made a massive circular castle door that would open automatically as you approached it. Automated elevator, automated farms...that was cool, none of it intended directly by the game rules, just derived naturally from the game mechanics.

Some of the most fun I've had playing games was a Minecraft mod run by some guys over on Something Awful called Keepcraft. Two teams would have to build fortresses and then try to break into each other's castles and steal their stuff. You couldn't changed blocks on the enemy plot but you could put down TNT that had custom rules on how it broke the walls down. That was some amazing gameplay.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Did you never play lego as a kid? I enjoyed the whole survival gameplay a few times when I first played Minecraft, building a castle and making cool stuff, but it's waaay too much like work now - the same reason I never touch MMO's these days. Making complex machinery with redstone wiring was pretty amazing too. I once made a massive circular castle door that would open automatically as you approached it. Automated elevator, automated farms...that was cool, none of it intended directly by the game rules, just derived naturally from the game mechanics.

All of this compounds my argument. I stopped playing lego decades ago
    Some of the most fun I've had playing games was a Minecraft mod run by some guys over on Something Awful called Keepcraft. Two teams would have to build fortresses and then try to break into each other's castles and steal their stuff. You couldn't changed blocks on the enemy plot but you could put down TNT that had custom rules on how it broke the walls down. That was some amazing gameplay.

This sounds interesting however. I much, much prefer playing with a specific goal in a competitive environment. The trend of sandbox worlds that become popular a few years back is not a good thing imo. Great big empty spaces. Boring. I prefer a narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dark Souls: Way too unforgiving for my liking. I don't get enjoyment out of the game = i don't like/play the game

Sonic: All of them. To mirror others, hold right, jump occasionally. *yawn*

Final Fantasy: Beginning to sound like a broken record on this one, but horrible turn based combat. Because of that i could never progress far enough to see if the story/world was any good. Can actually put all turn based games into this, but hopefully Stick of Truth might change my mind.

Fifa: They have gotten way too complicated for my liking. Bring back the days of Pass/Shoot/Lob & Sliding Tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

krudler wrote: »
    Which is historically correct, that level is set in Stalingrad, that's what actually happened, one soldier was given a gun, the other an ammo clip, and if any tried to retreat they'd be shot by their own commanders. the WW2 set COD games have great little details like that. If you're going to play any of the COD games then 4 is probably the best one

Which makes it a fascinating bit of history, but in games, I like to be in control of my character and not follow a script.

All of this compounds my argument. I stopped playing lego decades ago

This sounds interesting however. I much, much prefer playing with a specific goal in a competitive environment. The trend of sandbox worlds that become popular a few years back is not a good thing imo. Great big empty spaces. Boring. I prefer a narrative.

Depends on the game. I hate the linear nature of many games. I like having options to tackle situations in different ways. Far cry 3 did a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Bioshock: I just cannot get into them. The story doesn't do anything for me

Half Life: I hate hate hate hate hate them. Tried so many times to get into it but nope, I get the same yawnfest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Any football game, FIFA, Pro evolution.. I really don't get the appeal. Fair enough playing shooter games etc because it gives you a simulation of something that most likely you will never be able to really experience, but if you wanna play soccer then go outside and kick a ball around!

I have a few friends who are good footballers, play a fair amount of games, but never play FIFA etc. No interest in it at all. I find it strange, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Minecraft: boring
    Oblivion: dont get whats interesting
    Goldeneye: fanboyism seems to go along way
    Half Life 2: dull, grey graphics. nothing interesting. The first was great.
    3D mario games: meh
    Zelda: Zelda has been dead to me since the SNES.
    3D sonic games: WTF. no!
    Sims: why does this exist?
    Donkey Kong: dull
    Resident Evil 6: I liked all the others, but this one is like a super long cut scene.
    MGS 2: this almost put me off the series
    Tomb raider 1-3: a low point in gaming
    Sonic CD: When it was first released I though wow, played it a few years back and it has almost no level design, just a big mess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Arkham City: I was a big fan of Asylum - a tightly honed, atmospheric game that made good on the elements often overlooked by games of its sort. It even had fun, worthwhile collectibles!

City, though, just didn't work for me at all. In expanding the scope, it became unfocused, overly busy and unbalanced. Worst of all, it kept distracting me with pointless busywork and filler (oh hai Catwoman levels), with some of the game's most enjoyable content locked behind arbitrary, increasingly ludicrous riddler trophy demands. I have little patience for games that waste the player's time so aggressively. Even the combat system felt looser and more contrived - an amateur ballet compared to the first's surprisingly brutal force. Bigger, yes, and some of the strong points from the first remain. There is joy to be had just gliding around the place like a bat boss. But generally it just felt like a soulless, regressive expansion of the razor-sharp first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Arkham City: I was a big fan of Asylum - a tightly honed, atmospheric game that made good on the elements often overlooked by games of its sort. It even had fun, worthwhile collectibles!

City, though, just didn't work for me at all. In expanding the scope, it became unfocused, overly busy and unbalanced. Worst of all, it kept distracting me with pointless busywork and filler (oh hai Catwoman levels), with some of the game's most enjoyable content locked behind arbitrary, increasingly ludicrous riddler trophy demands. I have little patience for games that waste the player's time so aggressively. Even the combat system felt looser and more contrived - an amateur ballet compared to the first's surprisingly brutal force. Bigger, yes, and some of the strong points from the first remain. There is joy to be had just gliding around the place like a bat boss. But generally it just felt like a soulless, regressive expansion of the razor-sharp first.

Damn, I forgot about that one. The first one was Fantastic, but I could not get in to the Arkham City at all! Half way through I just deleted and never came back to it. Its just did not felt as fun or deep as the Asylum.
    I am not even bothered with Origins too.

Goldeneye: fanboyism seems to go along way.

James Bond fans..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

This thread is turning into a generic "games I hate thread". Who loves 3D Sonic?

Bioshock- I wanted to love it, loved the introduction, story and smart social/political themes in the game but found it all undermined by the fantastical elements such as the plasmids and Little Sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭death1234567

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Minecraft is crap lego.
    FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

City being unfocused was my biggest gripe with it too, when it's good it's very good, but the plot jumps all over the place and you're going from one villain to the next. I need to get Mr Freeze to do this to fight the Penguin but then Freeze is bad then good again because the Joker wants something or other and blah blah. The first game was so much tighter and you never lost focus of what your goal was.

gamercfc wrote: »
    Bioshock: I just cannot get into them. The story doesn't do anything for me

Half Life: I hate hate hate hate hate them. Tried so many times to get into it but nope, I get the same yawnfest.

Even the first half life? I wasnt a fan of the second one at all looked nice but the driving section and forcing you to use the gravity gun at the end was a pain.

FYP.

Yeah, its not for everyone. I lost my save file and dont think I could restart. It gets points for being cheap and cheerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Stalker
    Sounded like the perfect game for me, couldn't wait for it to come out.
    Was so disappointing, I just thought it was bland and boring. And it didn't really deliver all the stuff that was promised in the advertising blurp I thought, it was a basic version of what I was expecting/led to believe.

Fallout 3
    Same as above, was very disappointed, thought it was pure crap after a while. Found it an absolute slog.

Gran turismo/Forza Series
    Think they are an absolute bore. I dunno why I end up giving them a go.

But all of these have a massive following. So something wrong with me obviously. :pac:

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Stalker
    Sounded like the perfect game for me, couldn't wait for it to come out.
    Was so disappointing, I just thought it was bland and boring. And it didn't really deliver all the stuff that was promised in the advertising blurp I thought, it was a basic version of what I was expecting/led to believe.

I agree with this. I could never get into it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Arkham City - Same as others, was too unfocused

Assassins Creed Series - Repetative Gameplay. When you're doing the exact same things at the late stages of a game as you were through the first stage, it's a bad sign.

GTA after III - Loved GTA III, but every game since then has been the same. Drive this package over there, run from cops, now a race, blow something up...

Halo Series - didn't think it was that good of a FPS, never got why so much hype over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Goldeneye: fanboyism seems to go along way

James Bond fans..?

How dare you insult goldeneye. I'll have to call out the Doak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I agree with this. I could never get into it

It took me maybe 3 tries, and a realisation that the game wouldn't be about instant gratification, to really get into STALKER. It's pretty unforgiving compared to most FPS games. Getting shot usually means something, for example (especially early on), and resources are not particularly plentiful. It's one part FPS, one part survival horror and one part RPG. It's not everyone but if anyone's thinking about playing it, I say do lots of sidequests early, loot everything to f*ck and use the earnings to buy some better gear. The game flows a lot better if you prepare, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anything that involves turn-based battle generally I get bored with about halfway through.
    Got to level 40 in WoW, and after that it's all about grinding or raiding. Neither of which appeal to me. Former WoW players generally reminisce fondly about the time they spent playing. All I can recall is the mind-numbing boredom that led to me quitting.
    Put a good 30 or 40 hours each into FFVII and FFX, and while I was blown away by the graphics in the latter, the level-up grinding and turn-based fighting just becomes boring.

Fallout. Yawn. In its defence I only played it for the first time last year, so naturally 15 years after release it's going to seem a bit flat compared to modern games.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Bioshock: I tried 3 times, I found the gun mechanics awkward and I got really tired of that pipe puzzle. Having said that, I'm currently really enjoying Bioshock Infinite.

Mass Effect: Tried this 3 or 4 times, I think I found the structure of the game difficult to comprehend, and again didn't like the shooting mechanics.

Any Need for Speed games after the original Most Wanted. You don't earn cars any more, you just find them.

GT5: The awful shadows from the vehicles ruined that one for me too. Games had been getting shadows right for years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

seamus wrote: »
    Put a good 30 or 40 hours each into FFVII and FFX, and while I was blown away by the graphics in the latter, the level-up grinding and turn-based fighting just becomes boring.

But that was one of the nicer aspects to FFX. You never had to grind.

It was very linear so they could pace it well with regards to challenging you and as long as you weren't a total idiot with your setup, you could just play through the story and never have to grind because you were under levelled and got your ass kicked. It never forced you to spend hours levelling up because you were always the appropriate level for that part of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Kirby wrote: »
    But that was one of the nicer aspects to FFX. You never had to grind.

You did if you wanted to unlock Anima which required backtracking to Macalania and Besaid temples if you didn't get the destruction sphere treasures. Don't even start me on the palette swapped arena enemies. Blasted Dark Aeons should have been in the battle arena instead of randomly cropping up while recruiting Blitzball players and sorting out destruction sphere treasures.
    FFVII only requires grinding if you want to fight the weapons, a fruitless exercise IMO. The main storyline is so easy that no grinding at all is needed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement