Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you dislike that everyone else loves

Options
  • 10-11-2013 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

A follow up to Games you like that everyone else hates this should be equal as interesting :D

Portal 2:

Portal-2-box-art.jpg

I did not like the long empty corridors that felt to me ruined the flow of the puzzle aspect I enjoyed from the first portal game, I also felt the humour was not funny and that ending credit music does not hold a candle to still alive.

Red Dead Redemption:

Red-Dead-Redemption-Art.jpg

I did not care for the main character and thought the ending was of the biggest load of bollocks endings i seen in gaming this generation. While the game did do some cool things in the end I felt disappointed.

Saints row the third

Saints-Row-The-Third-2011-poster.bmp

I really tried to like this game and the others in the series but I really dislike the games. Its humour is dry and does nothing for me , nor its terrible shooting mechanics or its terrible missions layout.

Grand theft auto 5

gta-v-details-revealed-rockstar-0.jpg

I did not buy into the hype for this games when it was first announced and only got it for the online really to mess around with with my friends.

So when it finally came down to it I thought some of the missions were really great and impressive then as the game went along the game slowly began to creep into me that its still the same old gta ive been playing for years. World is bigger but still feels empty on what you can do , Characters are so one dimensional to me it felt like it was written by monkeys. Trevor was the only one that made me chuckle at times and while the game showed its potential with some truly amazing moments it fell flat on its face for me. the heist missions i was so willingly to pour my soul into and it just ends straight away.
    I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth in the end.

Super Mario 64
    4948-krmenlljej%5B1%5D.jpg

I understand its legacy , its passionate fans and the critical acclaim it rightfully deserves but at the time the game came out when I first played it It never clicked with me. If I ever got the chance to play it again my thoughts might change but as of right now all I remember is I didn't like marios control, its awkward camera angles at times and its open world which I admit still looks beautiful. The game is flawless but it just always happened to be one of those games that never clicked with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Grand Theft Auto IV: I don't think I've ever actually cleared a Grand Theft Auto, but I used to have a lot more fun with them. I got 4 but got sick of it pretty quickly. I kept seeing how great the DLC was, so I downloaded something a way back, and gave it a go. I just found it very dull. I had no intention of buying GTA V. I'd imagine I'd have the same perspective on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear Solid 4: The only reason I can think of for why people like this game is because they love the series it's part of. It's just not a good game at all. It has major pacing issues with ridiculously long cutscenes telling one of the worst written stories in gaming. The boss battles are dreadful which is a crime for the MGS series. Then there's the gameplay which while not bad is a major step backwards from previous games in the series with much more limited options available to the player. Even at that there's very little actual gameplay especially compared to the amount of content in MGS3.

Legend of Dragoon: Another game that baffles me why so many people like it. It reviewed dreadfully on release even at a time when any PS1 JRPG no matter how bad would get 80-90. It deserved all the criticism it got and was pretty much game consisting of everything wrong with PS1 JRPGs. And yet by some miracle of rose tinted glasses it has a very vocal fan base of people that have no grasp of punctuation or sentence structure.

God of War 3: I liked the first one, loved the second one. This one was just kind of dull after the opening.

Killzone series: I put this one down to people going crazy about this series because of the graphics because if you look past the graphics what you have is pretty much some of the dullest FPS gameplay in recent years and some dreadful boss battles.

Ni No Kuni: Yes it looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous but it definitely isn't the saviour of the JRPG genre people think it is. First look at the handhelds, the genre doesn't need saving. Secondly Ni No Kuni is a dull game with an annoying battle system and a really dreadful storyline, even by Hino's standards it was poor. I couldn't finish it and I'm willing to bet a lot of people couldn't either.

Shadow Complex: Well this one definitely wasn't bad but it was a pretty dull Metroidvania game. The foam gun was excellent but it was unlocked very late in the game. Awful boss battles as well.

Kingdom Hearts 2: I can hear the weeaboos sharpening their pitchforks already. This game is just out right terrible. The story is quite possibly the worst thing ever written by the human race. It has the most boring opening 10 hours of any game and once the game gets going it's just button masher which poses no challenge and becomes boring fast.

Flower: Not bad either but also not great. For a game that was supposed to be relaxing I found myself getting very frustrated wrestling the games awful controls. That was all wrapped up in a silly pretentious message. Thankfully the follow up Journey turned out much better.

Sonic CD: Sorry Sonic fans but this isn't the best 26-bit sonic. In fact it's the worst. Level design looks like the developer took the tilesheet and vomited it onto the screen. It's a total mess.

Sonic Adventure: Again Sonic fans this game is rubbish. It had all the same flaws and bugs of Sonic 06, terrible level design and awful controls. Also what the hell actually happened in the story? It was acceptable for a Dreamcast launch game and looked gorgeous then but it's horrible to play.

Conker's Bad Fur Day: Other than Banjo Kazooie and Blast Corp, Rare's N64 output hasn't aged very well. Conker's Bad Fur Day however was never very good. As a platformer it's one of the worst on the system with lots of annoying and repetitive fetch quests. As for the 'comedy' it was only funny when you were 12 and thought a swearing squirrel was the height of comedy. It was the only joke the game had and it was old before the turned the game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭dor83

Metal Gear Solid 3: I have played all the MGS games and liked them all except this one, I don't know exactly why I didn't like it, maybe I hyped it too much after the other 2.

Halo series: I don't get why people love them so much, one of the worst shooters imo, along with Killzone.

Fallout 3: Found it to be extremely boring and repetitive with way too much time spent traveling from one place to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭mrm

Assassins Creed series - enjoyed just running around the environments; never enjoyed playing missions/ engaging in the narrative.

Witcher 2 - some of the best dialogue and voice acting, for me, in a game let down greatly by very poor combat mechanics, tedious missions, boring 'stage like' level design/ environment.

LA Noire - stretching the thread title ('everyone') I know, but to all of those who do like it, it's not even a game! It's a poorly scripted movie you watch in the company of an inactive controller.

Others I just couldn't manage to like: Killzone series, sonic games, Saints Row 3, Elite, Angrybirds, Splosion man, League of Legends, Resistance 3, Crash Bandicoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I also felt the humour was not funny and that ending credit music does not hold a candle to still alive.
    I'd have to question your sense of humour then. It was hillarious , with Wheatley being one of the funniest characters ever to grace video games. Steve Merchant did an amazing job.
    The ramblings of Cave Johnson were also brilliant, and how can you forget the defective turrets :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Deus Ex.

Absolute snore fest. I even gave it another go recently. The combat is sluggish at best. The poor AI constantly brought me out of the game's world. I cannot understand for the life of me how this game gets so much praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Bioshock.
    I tried I really did.

Blops 2
    The only game I actually threw out a window.

FFXII

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I would say Zelda and Mario games as I have never really "got into" them but I think I am just being bias as I never had a Nintendo when I was young and only played them for the first time in my late teens, so never had the same appeal.

For me has to be Red Dead Redemption as well, It has a few great mechanics like the random events but overall I thought it was fairly boring...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I would say Zelda and Mario games as I have never really "got into" them but I think I am just being bias as I never had a Nintendo when I was young and only played them for the first time in my late teens, so never had the same appeal.
    Which ones did you play and how long did you play them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

WoW and Final Fantasy series. Also the GTA series.

I'd also say football games. Never a fan of them either :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Which ones did you play and how long did you play them?
    Ocarina of Time and Mario 64 in particular, each for several hours but not at release, was years later! At various points have played other ones released before and after those, like I said. I never had a Nintendo console when I was younger, was Sega all the way then onto PC & PS/Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Definitely Red Dead Redemption for me, tried to play it twice, finally finished it the 2nd time and as good as the graphics and engine were, it was one of the most boring games I ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'd have to question your sense of humour then. It was hillarious , with Wheatley being one of the funniest characters ever to grace video games. Steve Merchant did an amazing job.
    The ramblings of Cave Johnson were also brilliant, and how can you forget the defective turrets :D

humour very subjective :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Totally agree with the scorn RDR is getting. Likewise GTA. Rockstar prefer style over substance, I don't.

Bayonetta - haven't liked a "style em up" or whatever the genre is called (DMC clone?) since the original DMC. So repetitive.

Gears of War - such a bland game. Maybe I needed to have played it when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout: These games... I just can't get into. At all. I've tried. I owned Fallout 3 twice, and each time, I just don't care. None of it interests me. You walk up and talk to a random person, they say "Hi complete stranger, please take this very valuable item to my brother in this town you've never heard of". About 20 hours later, you talk to a random person (because of course, you pretty much have to talk to everyone in the game) who says "Thank you for bringing this to me. Here, have some money". By that point, I have completely forgotten about what it is or who I was meant to talk to and only found him by chance. Then there's the fact that you pick skills and stuff at the very beginning which means there'll be some parts of the game you're naturally useless at. The games waste so much of your time on stupid things, f*ck all is explained to you in any way that's helpful, and the amount of time it takes to actually progress to a level where you can have a bit of fun just doesn't seem worth it.

Half Life 2: Played a few hours of it. Didn't think it was anything special. Had The Orange Box and bar those few hours, didn't bother with it any more. Stuck to Portal and Team Fortress 2.

Bayonetta: Crap story, crap main character, crap secondary characters. The whole "My catsuit changes into powerful things but makes me half-naked and make suggestive moans and giggles" made me embarrassed as f*ck to be playing it. QTEs during cutscenes were completely random and sporadic which meant you missed most of them first time. Combat was alright, though a lot of the weapons were too useless to bother with. Some of the level design was awful and some were just on the rails sections which, for the type of game it was, were idiotic. The cutscenes which were still images with a 'film' kind of look were completely out of place and felt like they didn't have enough time or money to do proper cutscenes. As a Devil May Cry fan, I was really looking forward to this. It was hugely disappointing. Little substance and f*ck all style.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Half Life 2

Willing to accept that as far as game mechanics and modding are concerned, it made some big leaps in the industry. The game itself though, I found boring and confusing. Hard to stick with and whenever I try to get another good play in I always end up turning it off just after the sewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Half Life 2 is ****e alright. Major disappointment for me as I loved the first game. The series went up it's own arse starting with this one - lots of pseudo intellectuals waffling on about how brilliant the story was. I think my problem with it is just how much praise it got, it makes me view it as some sort of smug artpiece. A lot of other games around the time and for years after were held up for comparison with it as if it was the pinnacle of gaming which I never agreed with.

It was a boring linear plod with weak weapons and awful level design in particular places (the Citadel being a particular chore to get through). I think I was also pretty disappointed by how sidelined the aliens from the previous game, replaced by "generic humanoid with mask and generic humanoid wearing white cricket gear". The see-saw physics puzzles wearing particular thin and then to have all of your guns taken away to be replaced with "super gravity gun" made the whole ending section much of an "oh no they didn't" moment for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bayonetta: I've played this once and once was more than enough. The story is some of the worst cack I've ever seen and the combat is just repetitive. A bland spectacle fighter with a gimmick and nothing more in my eyes. The Devil May Cry reboot was a much better game, IMO.

Half-Life 2: I honestly have no idea why this is considered one of the very best games ever made. I've played the original and thought it was amazing. The sequel is just bland. yes, the physics are amazing and the characters' faces made my jaw drop but aside from that, it was just so bland and soulless. I don't get why Gordon Freeman is rated so highly when he's nothing more than an arm holding a crowbar.

God of War III: The opening was incredible. The rest, not even close. It's a bit of a shame that Sony Santa Monica didn't take any risks with this, otherwise we might have got a better ending to the trilogy. Instead, the angry man with swords gimmick just got tired, made worse by the idea of having him connect with Pandora.

Oblivion: I've not played Fallout or Skyrim but this is enough to put me off both. Broken levelling system, derivative dungeons and appalling combat left a sour taste in my mouth. I'd rather a smaller world with more depth, like the Souls titles as opposed to vast amounts of pretty wasteland.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

World of Warcraft, endless grinding and levelling up, no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I have to agree with Half-Life 2. Above average shooter. Ravenholm was special. The rest was generic. I didn't care for the shoe-horned plot in the slightest. I can't even remember what it was all about right now. Some grey haired dude preaching throughout. HL1 was brilliant in its subtle story telling. It didn't need much of a story like any good game. HL2 tried way too hard in this department and fell flat on its face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Off the top of my head I would have to say GTA IV, La Noire, Fry Cry 3, .... maybe Alan Wake (only played it a bit)...there's probably loads more but they've been wiped from my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

MGS
    Most of the GT series

I agree to an extent about HL2; by any other name it wouldn't have the following it has. Good game with epic mods

of the MGS franchise the only games I actually like are the first and third games. 2 is mostly awful, from its hamfisted plot to interminably dull cutscenes between Raiden and whatserface. and MGS4 is more interactive occasionally playable movie than game. 40 mins of cutscenes, 5 mins of playable action, another 40 mins of cutscenes. The ending is well over an hour long ffs. Kojima isn't anywhere near the writer people think he is either. I did like the return to Shadow Moses in 4 though, that was the standout sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Metal Gear - the entire series. From the awkward, non-intuitive controls to the daft story lines and the hour long cut-scenes these games have never done anything for me.

nearly all the Sonic games too, the first one was enjoyable way back but the gameplay mostly consists of holding right on the d-pad and jumping occasionally as he flies around the place. Doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Mario World in terms of level design and gameplay aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Resident Evil 4, actually any Resident Evil.
    I've tried, I really have - even bought RE4 on Wii back after selling it - I just can't get into them.

There's an awful lot of troll on this thread though. I understand the HL2 hate to some degree but Mario 64, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

GTA (all of them)
    Assassins Creed (all of them)
    Bayonetta
    Skyrim ( I loved Oblivion just couldn't get into Skyrim)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

No More Heroes - infantile nonsense with clunky controls, an overworld that only existed out of obligation and fairly boring gameplay.

Sonic Generations - Felt like a cutscene that would only run if you held right on the control stick. And no sign of the Chao...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

GTA/Saints Row/Just Cause/Far Cry 3/Red Dead:Redemption - Always get bored quickly with these type of open world games and typically never finish them because of it with the exception of GTA5 (Which i don't rate very highly either... i just had a lot of free time !).

Uncharted
    - Too much scripted rail action for me. Can see why they appeal to many tho.

Torchlight - I dunno... i think they're crap games in comparison to others in the genre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Final Fantasy series - the most boring and uninteresting series of games I've ever seen.
    WoW - I tried it and after playing SWTOR as my first serious MMO, it just seemed boring (that said, SWTOR got pretty boring pretty quickly because of the grinding) and having walls of text for story vs SWTOR's voiced cut scenes was very unappealing.
    All of the Tomb Raiders up till the most recent one - I thought they were shockingly bad and boring. The recent reboot one I've really enjoyed though.
    Metal Gear series are definitely on the list for me too.
    Bayonetta - when your lead character gets more naked the better the combo you manage is one of the selling points, I say GTFO and stop insulting my intelligence.
    LA Noire - very disappointed with this, was expecting more of a sandbox style game.

Advertisement