Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you dislike that everyone else loves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think LA Noire falls into the Assassin's Creed 1 trap of having a great concept, lovely graphics but the actual mechanics and gameplay didn't follow through. But it was a good starting blueprint for something much more elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

It's Mass Effect for me, I have tried on three occasions to get into it but I just get bored. It's doubly surprising for me because I usually love Bioware stuff and big RPGs in general.

Assasins Creed series, for the love of god the most repetivite games I have ever played.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Assasins Creed series, for the love of god the most repetivite games I have ever played.

The core parts are good (aside from the animus sequences, awful) but yeah there's an absolute ton of padding in them, collect 100 of this, get 50 of that, shoot blah amount of something. When collecty uppy bits are implemented into the story like say the interviews in Arkham Asylum it can work well, when they're pointless fetch quests to pad out a games playtime they can feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

gouche wrote: »
    Mario 64, really?

64 is my least favourite Mario. Much prefer Galaxy, World or even Sunshine.

Didn't like it when it originally came out. Got it on the DS at launch and still didn't like it. I've met a few people who don't like it so I'm not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

penev10 wrote: »
    64 is my least favourite Mario. Much prefer Galaxy, World or even Sunshine.

Didn't like it when it originally came out. Got it on the DS at launch and still didn't like it. I've met a few people who don't like it so I'm not alone.
    Well, different strokes. I was thinking the control scheme might have played a part (what with the N64 controller not being a hit, to say the least, with everyone), but doesn't sound like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Magill wrote: »
    GTA/Saints Row/Just Cause/Far Cry 3/Red Dead:Redemption - Always get bored quickly with these type of open world games and typically never finish them because of it with the exception of GTA5 (Which i don't rate very highly either... i just had a lot of free time !).

Uncharted
    - Too much scripted rail action for me. Can see why they appeal to many tho.

Torchlight - I dunno... i think they're crap games in comparison to others in the genre.

You don't like open world games but dislike Uncharted for being too linear?

My three are

Ocarina of Time: deserted environments, obtuse puzzles and dungeons, hours of pointless trudging from one side of the map to another. I love zelda games but hated nearly every minute of this.

GTA Chinatown Wars: Its GTA on the DS! except really its a very boring courier simulator, drive drive to that side of the map, no drive back to where you started, do that again and again and now play a pointless mini game. now get back in your car and drive over..... bought it, played it for 5 hours and traded it within 24 hours of it being released.

Bayonetta: the most popular game in this thread, what is there left to say? Complete nonsense right from the start, looks cool and exciting but agony to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Oh, just noticed as it was quoted that Just Cause had been mentioned. Does anyone love them? Yeah, I guess it does have its audience. I guess I'd add that. I can only really speak for the first one. It was a huge game and it had great graphics for its time, and especially when you consider the size of the world. People love it because of stuff you can do in it I guess, but I found the missions so horribly dull. Yeah, the game wasn't really about them, but couldn't enjoy it. No idea how good or bad 2 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I played about 40 hours of Just Cause 2, really enjoyed it, even if a lot of missions felt very "samey". It was a cool open world to play in! Though unlike someone above, I tend to enjoy open world games so would be positively biased towards Just Cause 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Valentine1 wrote: »
    You don't like open world games but dislike Uncharted for being too linear?

"I don't like these kind of open world games", honestly tho, maybe its a bit unfair on red dead as while i was hugely disappointed with how much i got out of it.. it wasn't really in the same league as the others.

Games like dark souls, s.t.a.l.k.e.r or even most Zelda games are examples of well done open world games for me. And yes, uncharted is too linear for me...I just find that a lot of the gameplay consists of pushing the forward button while your character does all these amazing jumps, rolls and tumbles.

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    "I don't like these kind of open world games", honestly tho, maybe its a bit unfair on red dead as while i was hugely disappointed with how much i got out of it.. it wasn't really in the same league as the others.

Games like dark souls, s.t.a.l.k.e.r or even most Zelda games are examples of well done open world games for me. And yes, uncharted is too linear for me...I just find that a lot of the gameplay consists of pushing the forward button while your character does all these amazing jumps, rolls and tumbles.

Fair enoughski.

The Uncharted series can feel quite scripted at times but for me the overall experience is just so enjoyable I get completely sucked into it.

Except Uncharted 3 of course, the shooting is so awful it put me right off the game.

Valentine1 wrote: »
    Fair enoughski.

The Uncharted series can feel quite scripted at times but for me the overall experience is just so enjoyable I get completely sucked into it.

Except Uncharted 3 of course, the shooting is so awful it put me right off the game

Agree, they did patch it later but it was horrible. Uncharted 2 is brilliant, it's closer to a playable movie than anything like Heavy Rain or MGS4 is trying to be, in that it's entertaining and the action takes place in game not through endless cutscenes.

MGS Series - Gameplay and especially the story do nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Street Fighter IV: I really like playing fighting games. Always good for a quick play or messing about. But this one is so boring. It's so focused on constant special moves and filling up your power meter to make the same special moves more powerful, or doing ultra moves... It's boring. It means each character pretty much has about 4 or 5 moves that actually do proper damage, which means they're just spammed constantly. I remember seeing a video posted on the Fighting Games forum of what was billed as a great match between someone playing as Ryu against someone playing as Ken. 30 seconds of the video consisted of both characters using Hadoukens (the blue fireball move) at each other, with their Hadoukens meeting in the middle of the screen thereby cancelling each other out. Therefore, nothing happened. I respect the practice and work people put into the game, but I always just found it boring to watch and play. At least something like Mortal Kombat uses special moves in a similar way, but backs it up with loads of normal combos which can do a similar amount of damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It you are using special moves to do any kind of damage in a fighting game then you are playing it wrong. You don't throw a fireball to cause damage you throw one to make your opponent react and open him up to a combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It you are using special moves to do any kind of damage in a fighting game then you are playing it wrong. You don't throw a fireball to cause damage you throw one to make your opponent react and open him up to a combo.

Mmmm, debatable. It get's quite annoying when someone can spam fireballs all day from across the map at you.
    Maybe your theory is correct for the very high levels of gameplay and players, but for the standard and average Joe...fireballs are Special moves, they are there to inflict damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Assassins creed series: I just find them really boring and dull, buddy of mine loves them, I can't take to them at all.

Elders scrolls: I tried and hated every minute of it, just seemed like a load of ****e.

Bioshock: really tried to like this one but it just never clicked with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭soap1978

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Assassins creed series: I just find them really boring and dull, buddy of mine loves them, I can't take to them at all.

Elders scrolls: I tried and hated every minute of it, just seemed like a load of ****e.

i bet u love cod

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Mass Effect, even though it got great reviews

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

soap1978 wrote: »
    i bet u love cod

There's nothing wrong with liking COD. I enjoy the campaigns myself along with various RPGs, other shooters and strategy games.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

soap1978 wrote: »
    i bet u love cod

Not liking particular games means you must be a COD player now? I like COD, well used to, doesn't meant I don't play other games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

I tried it twice. Something about the physics felt so cartoonish and fake, and I couldn't bring myself to care the slightest about the world or characters. Also seemed horribly repetitive within minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

uncharted *RUNS*

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

uncharted *RUNS*

Uncharted 3 was probably my most disappointing purchases of this gen. I bought it new and finished the campaign in about 8 hours. Before it got swiftly traded in for skyrim!

Echoing others, some of my disappointments are:

- Half-life 2, probably cos I played the shoddy PS3 port.
    - Fallout 3 and New Vegas; buggy as f*ck, neither of them got finished.
    - Assasins Creed; tried two of them, the mechanics, gameplay and settings did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

GTA (all of them)
    Assassins Creed (all of them)
    Bayonetta
    Skyrim ( I loved Oblivion just couldn't get into Skyrim)

I quit oblivion because all the gate levels looked the same and my characters progression became limited, something that I could have avoided from the start if I had known. I do understand people complaining about skyrim being repititave though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

Dishonored: I found it too linear and the graphics looked bad up close.

Dishonored: I found it too linear and the graphics looked bad up close.

We must have played different games. Every level has multiple routes through it, different ways of completing it and leads to a different ending. I loved the graphics, thought there were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

COD/Battlefield or any other typical Military based FPS.
    I'll play them on single player a bit, but genuinely loathe multiplayer on them. Also the story is non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

We had such threads a few times and they never end well... People start jumping each other throats, just because they don't like the franchise etc...

So here we go!

Oblivion/Skyrim - I could not find more boring and repetitive franchise in history. I dont understand how people find Skyrims world interesting, its dull and generic as ****.

Inserts any Mario game here - Overhyped and simplified game for masses. Got forbid Mario actually having some sort of Characteristics, he is bland and lifeless thing.

Insert any Zelda Game - I honestly tried and I could never get in to the franchise. Last two games I tried were Twilight Princess and Ocorina of time.

Borderlands franchise - Its good, I know its good. I even finished first one and I thought that Second one had some amazing characters, Handsome Jack is the reason alone to try out Borderlands 2. I dont know why, but I get bored so damn quick after launching the game. The stupid amount of quest that they throw at you is not helping too, it becomes less of a game, then a TO DO list completion. I guess that would be Skyrims problem too.

Street Fighter - I am not a huge fighting game fan, unless I am playing it with friends and Vodka. From all fighting games Street fighter was always least favourite. I can play any fighting game and enjoy it ( Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur etc ), but SF is just pants down Meh for me.

• Advertisement

Best thing about Skyrim was the music, hands down, the exploration themes are brilliant.

Advertisement