Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rave thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,162 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Absolute sensational. Sometimes I think people can be far too complacent and arrogant with our rugby. They don't appreciate just how great an achievement it is to win a 6N against the might of England and France, and against Wales, whose national game is rugby. Well, watching the English fas today really nailed home how important and big the game is to them, and we beat them and retained the title. Epic is an understatement!

No rant thread: Well, George Hook unable to muster up an honest praise for our boys. His last day on the panel and he couldn't even fake praise them. Good riddance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

6781 wrote: »
    A sub 45 minutes in yesterday's 10km race, and a PB for me too. Never thought I'd be getting a time like that a few weeks back. Very happy :)
    I did another 10km on a more hilly race. I was a few seconds slower but still got another sub 45 minutes. Legs were a bit tired from the last race too. Delighted with my progress in such a short time. I've fallen back in love with running again and my Mrs is starting to get into too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Did 2 runs in 3 days and my Achilles aren't (that) sore :):):):):):):):)

Have been suffering for about 2 years with them but feel like i'm finally turning a corner thanks to being part of a structured programme in an academic research study (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Rave : Getting over the cold

Rant: Hamstring seems to be going again, annoying and maybe time to say goodbye to running

Rave: People ranting in the rave thread. We were left no option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

walshb wrote: »
    Rave: People ranting in the rave thread. We were left no option!

I wondered where it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Had an email earlier to say I'd won a set of bluetooth headphones via the MarathonTalk podcast :) When I checked on Amazon I see these yokes cost £199 :eek:

opus wrote: »
    Had an email earlier to say I'd won a set of bluetooth headphones via the MarathonTalk podcast :) When I checked on Amazon I see these yokes cost £199 :eek:

Did it ask for your bank details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice one, I have heard you mentioned a few times on there.
    I am not sure I see the need for headphones that tell you what your HR is though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice one, I have heard you mentioned a few times on there.
    I am not sure I see the need for headphones that tell you what your HR is though :confused:

I presume the HR feature does away with the need for a strap (somewhat) and could probably be used by smartphone apps ?

Jabra make some quality gear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd heard a name I recognised on there this week as the winner alright, couldn't remember which alter ego it was though.

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Catching up with Welsh workmates and English in-laws after that weekend. :D

PaulieC wrote: »
    I presume the HR feature does away with the need for a strap (somewhat) and could probably be used by smartphone apps ?

Jabra make some quality gear.

I assumed it would take the reading from a strap but either way it takes away from the idea of racing without headphones which MT like to promote.

Anyway when running so hard that you need to know your HR do you really need to be told?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Anyway when running so hard that you need to know your HR do you really need to be told?

For training only ? Anyway who cares ? Opus won something nice, so bully for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I assumed it would take the reading from a strap but either way it takes away from the idea of racing without headphones which MT like to promote.
    I think it works by measuring your HR from within your ear-orifices! It also has 'US Military standard sweat, shock and dust resistance'. I'm not sure if it's compatible with European sweat, but maybe Opus will let us know. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wonder what walshb has to say about the claim 'running a marathon on Mars in 11 years and two months is pretty cool' ;):D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Wonder what walshb has to say about the claim 'running a marathon on Mars in 11 years and two months is pretty cool' ;):D

I would bring the woollies with me if doing it at the winter pole:)

"While the average temperature on Mars is about 218 K (-55 C, -67 F), Martian surface temperatures range widely from as little as 140 K (-133 C, -207 F) at the winter pole to almost 300 K (27 C, 80 F) on the day side during summer."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

PaulieC wrote: »
    For training only ? Anyway who cares ? Opus won something nice, so bully for him!

My thoughts exactly, don't look a gift horse in the mouth & all that. Those lads at Jabra don't hang around, arrived via DHL today!

rj2ucn.jpg

I'll have a play with them & see how things work out, couldn't care less about the HR monitoring tbh but the idea of wireless headphones is appealing assuming they stay on while running.

Btw I'd highly recommend sticking your time in their events page anytime you run a marathon as think the numbers aren't exactly huge every week. They mentioned on the last show that there was nobody entered to run a marathon over one of the new few weekends for example so if you happened to be running one, you'd be guaranteed a win!

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Meant to add, at least Netty would stand a chance of being allowed finish the race on Mars!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057398151

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Running in the Midlands 12 stage relays and actually having a team that all turn up on the day. The rain staying away for the duration of the run. Running on one of the long legs (5.6miles rather than 3miles) and then hearing the motorbike that goes infront of the lead runner coming up behind me to lap me...but I manage to hold him off for most of the final mile despite that guy only being on a short leg. Running up the finish straight to end my leg and despite everyone there knowing full well that I've just been lapped a few meters before the turn, for a moment I tell myself that I am actually racing that guy and I'm in second place.

Then the results come out and we qualify for the Nationals ... and then guys running are all up for doing the same again in two weeks time. Normally we'd never get anyone interested in running the Nationals. Happy team manager here. :D

Now to decide if I run it or not seeing as it's only a couple of weeks before London and I've loads of more important things to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Battled through man flu to set a new personal best of 43:40 in a 10km, knocking 36 seconds of my previous best. God knows how I managed to get a time like that the way I was feeling before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

O'Donnells Authentic Hand Cooked Tipperary Crisps, where have you been all my life.

O'Donnells Authentic Hand Cooked Tipperary Crisps, where have you been all my life.

That's two plugs today http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95026226&postcount=17
    Have O'Donnells taken over accounts and started spamming???

My Rave is the Masters. 4 great evenings of sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Will be the centrepiece of my booze free weekend alright, always a brilliant spectacle. Better with a few beers though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

On route to training last night i see a person running up the street, headphones on, happy out. She then just turns, runs out onto the zebra crossing and across without looking up from the ground. Causing me to jump on the breaks and a car the opposite side.
    Rave: I dont know wether it was that my heartrate was already up from that incident or pure thickness. But i ran my fastest ever drills, knocking over a minute of my previous times. Really feeling it today in the legs but delighted

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Between that, the Grand National weekend and the usual football and rugby there's going to be a man-shaped groove in the couch by Monday... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Keoghs are not too shabby either.

Will be the centrepiece of my booze free weekend alright, always a brilliant spectacle. Better with a few beers though!
    Ah man, those O'Donnells Authentic Hand Cooked Tipperary Crisps go much better with a few cold ones accomanying them ;)
    Between that, the Grand National weekend and the usual football and rugby there's going to be a man-shaped groove in the couch by Monday... :pac:

And let's not forget the Andy Lee fight on Saturday night. This should be getting way more coverage than it is btw, pity there is no rant thread any more :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭DocQismyJesus

Having a legit thread aimed at bringing A/R community forward be locked. Also having two posters most involved in A/R fights (starting them/ stoking them creating drama) post self righteous and rude responses to my modest proposal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement