Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rave thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Had several pots of that on draught y'day

Could have had several myself only i had to behave!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Padraig Harrington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Netwerk_Errer

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Padraig Harrington.

What a man and what a time to win! Just about to quit on America and now look what he does. A legend of Irish sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Rave - Diversity. What a dull world it would be if everyone was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I was all set to go on an afternoon jog but I got stuck looking at Padraig Harringtons great win and got a bit lazy but decided to find the base layers, did a 6k in the wind and sleet I felt so good afterwards and realised how much I love running in the cold...
    Met an ex the other night also, plans to meet up...she looks great..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I just weighed myself there and I'm 10kg lighter since the last time I weighed myself at the start of January. It wasn't my intention to lose weight but I made the decision to eat more healthy food and exercise daily so I could improve on my running.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,990 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Padraig Harrington.

Due another Late Late appearance......:rolleyes: Sorry, wrong thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Saw this on FB last night. It's a video of Eliud Kibet‎, winner of DCM showing second captains where he lives and what he spent his prize money on. I thought it was pretty cool.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1585947338284646

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The generousity of the community here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

^^ reminds me.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

On a similar note, this is a rave about the general camaraderie on Boards AR forum these days (despite a few recent scraps but sure they just serve to keep things spicy!).

What I noticed changing in the last few months is more of a community spirit rather than the various factions keeping things between themselves.
    When I came on this forum first about 2 years ago it was very segregated between fast runners, middling runners and slow runners. There was very little interaction if any between these groups of posters. The slow spokes stayed together and the whizz kids did their thing. We all read each other's logs but we never posted on a log that we didn't feel we had a 'any business' to post on.

This has changed dramatically in the last few months. Not sure what it's down to exactly but I think it's a few things. I think it's mainly down to a few different relatively new posters who interact with posters on their logs across the board (fast to slow runners) and that serves to bring everyone together more. I hope they don't mind me saying but in the main I think it's due to posters such as TbL, Dubgal & Netwerk Error, and a few more to a lesser extent.
    I think the forum is better than ever for this reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

^^ :o:o = blushing face... Thanks Os you've made me all warm inside :)

(So if it had the same effect on TbL i suppose Mrs TbL could add some honey, cloves and whiskey and have a very palatable drink :D )

NE has already short circuited....

Vincent Browne:D Haven't watched him in ages but he just says to yer man, the "New Land League:rolleyes:" guy

'Ah will you just shut up':D

Ososlo wrote: »

What I noticed changing in the last few months is more of a community spirit rather than the various factions keeping things between themselves.
    When I came on this forum first about 2 years ago it was very segregated between fast runners, middling runners and slow runners. There was very little interaction if any between these groups of posters. The slow spokes stayed together and the whizz kids did their thing. We all read each other's logs but we never posted on a log that we didn't feel we had a 'any business' to post on.

This has changed dramatically in the last few months.

I must agree PM - the response to your fundraising has been very good to see. It's the first time I've seen something like this put to people & the response has been really good (as well as being a bit of craic). I'm not surprised to be honest. Since I joined this forum just over 4 years ago I've seen time and time again how people have helped each other . It's been particularly interesting to see the patience with which people answer the same queries (usually from inexperienced runners) which have invariably popped up from time to time.

I also find it interesting to read your experience Ososlo because, in my experience, it has usually been the more experienced (& faster) runners who have answered these questions. My own experience of the forum in that 4 years has been that this divide has not existed. I won't embarrass them by name checking them but a number of the more experienced & faster runners here have been very helpful to me personally - eg when I was sick before DCM last year I was contacted & offered advice about how I could approach my training if I was going to proceed with the race. When I was unable to do it due to illness another poster very generously entered me in an alternative race which gave me something to focus on rather than just the disappointment of a missed race. When someone questioned why I thought I could improve at my age (I had no problem with this opinion by the way) a number of posters came to my defence & one offered to train me. To put this in context, I would be very much at the slower end if the scale around here but I have always felt free to comment on the logs of runners of different standards and was never made to feel that my comments were out of place. I'm not disputing your experience of the forum, I would just like to highlight, in fairness to the faster &/or more experienced runners around here, that my experience has been very different.

kit3 wrote: »
    I must agree PM - the response to your fundraising has been very good to see. It's the first time I've seen something like this put to people & the response has been really good (as well as being a bit of craic). I'm not surprised to be honest. Since I joined this forum just over 4 years ago I've seen time and time again how people have helped each other . It's been particularly interesting to see the patience with which people answer the same queries (usually from inexperienced runners) which have invariably popped up from time to time.

I also find it interesting to read your experience Ososlo because, in my experience, it has usually been the more experienced (& faster) runners who have answered these questions. My own experience of the forum in that 4 years has been that this divide has not existed. I won't embarrass them by name checking them but a number of the more experienced & faster runners here have been very helpful to me personally - eg when I was sick before DCM last year I was contacted & offered advice about how I could approach my training if I was going to proceed with the race. When I was unable to do it due to illness another poster very generously entered me in an alternative race which gave me something to focus on rather than just the disappointment of a missed race. When someone questioned why I thought I could improve at my age (I had no problem with this opinion by the way) a number of posters came to my defence & one offered to train me. To put this in context, I would be very much at the slower end if the scale around here but I have always felt free to comment on the logs of runners of different standards and was never made to feel that my comments were out of place. I'm not disputing your experience of the forum, I would just like to highlight, in fairness to the faster &/or more experienced runners around here, that my experience has been very different.
    I'm talking about interaction on the logs. I don't think you ever had a log.
    Not for one second suggesting that the experienced runners have been anything other than extremely helpful over the years on various threads and personally to me offline and online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

^^^^

Am inclined to agree kit3

I think a lot of it is to do with how you as a person approach it and how you take it. In my earlier days here I had a bit of a siege mentality. This place was full of patronising, elitist people who were at times very ignorant to slower runners. Turns out most of the people I had formed that opinion of were actually the most helpful on the forum - and I only got to form that opinion because they had bothered to interact a bit with topics about slower / improving running in general. I think I even had a go at Krusty FFS :). That's not to say there weren't some assholes around of course. ;) You get them everywhere but when my approach to things changed that's when the real positives of the people I may have previously considered as stand offish elites became apparent.

As for the change in the last few months. It has been a huge improvement on the crap that had engulfed the forum back then. Don't want to get into it again but just to say I believe that the forum spirit and overall goodness as it is now is the same as the forum was say a year ago before that blow up. Unfortunately we lost a few great contributors and helpers to those slower runners in the middle of it which is still a great shame. But for now this place is the best place to be for newer and slower runners without a shadow of a doubt.

^^^^

Am inclined to agree kit3

I think a lot of it is to do with how you as a person approach it and how you take it. In my earlier days here I had a bit of a siege mentality. This place was full of patronising, elitist people who were at times very ignorant to slower runners. Turns out most of the people I had formed that opinion of were actually the most helpful on the forum - and I only got to form that opinion because they had bothered to interact a bit with topics about slower / improving running in general. I think I even had a go at Krusty FFS :). That's not to say there weren't some assholes around of course. ;) You get them everywhere but when my approach to things changed that's when the real positives of the people I may have previously considered as stand offish elites became apparent.

As for the change in the last few months. It has been a huge improvement on the crap that had engulfed the forum back then. Don't want to get into it again but just to say I believe that the forum spirit and overall goodness as it is now is the same as the forum was say a year ago before that blow up. Unfortunately we lost a few great contributors and helpers to those slower runners in the middle of it which is still a great shame. But for now this place is the best place to be for newer and slower runners without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm more talking about the banter on the logs not on main threads. Even in a social sense people of varying abilities seem to chat more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I'm more talking about the banter on the logs not on main threads. Even in a social sense people of varying abilities seem to chat more.

I've honestly never noticed any such social divide between faster runners and slower ones. The use of the term elites and elitism always amuses me as there are no elites posting here. There used to be, years ago, but not anymore.

As for banter on training logs it can be good for camaraderie alright but on the flip side it comes across clicky to some, and more importantly any useful training info gets lost in what essentially is spam. Claralara's log was an example of one which I just couldn't read because all the golden info on how to make such impressive improvements and how to get the best out of oneself was completely lost in all the junk banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I've honestly never noticed any such social divide between faster runners and slower ones. The use of the term elites and elitism always amuses me as there are no elites posting here. There used to be, years ago, but not anymore.

As for banter on training logs it can be good for camaraderie alright but on the flip side it comes across clicky to some, and more importantly any useful training info gets lost in what essentially is spam. Claralara's log was an example of one which I just couldn't read because all the golden info on how to make such impressive improvements and how to get the best out of oneself was completely lost in all the junk banter.

There are a few who lurk ;)

To be honest I think this comes down to the style of the log and the poster and what they want to get out of their log.

Some people use it to store their training, effectively replacing the old pen and paper in case they would get lost, some have a more creative side and like the narrative, others want to share their training for others to learn from, others are looking for guidance on their training and some are looking for the social media aspect for motivation or just general interaction.

Over the last few years the migration of discussion has been towards the logs to the point now where the main forum is not utilized as much as it used to be, I think there are a few reasons for this but as such people almost had to be more active in finding the discussion that they used to find on the main page, I am not sure if this is a positive or negative as there are valid points for either but I think alot of it is just the general evolution of the forum.

Training talk has also evolved from more theoretical conversations to using specific case examples via the logs for discussion, better for the person seeking advice without a doubt but it doesn't really create much of a debate about training idea's.

• Advertisement

When someone questioned why I thought I could improve at my age (I had no problem with this opinion by the way) .

Flash backs. That wasn't me by any chance? It sounds eerily familiar....

walshb wrote: »
    Flash backs. That wasn't me by any chance? It sounds eerily familiar....

Ha, yes that was you :). Don't worry, as I said, I never had a problem with the comment - it was your opinion and I think my answer at the time was that I was only in competition with myself & I intended to enjoy trying to improve whether that happened or not. I never even came close to thinking of boiling your bunny ;)

I'm talking about interaction on the logs. I don't think you ever had a log.
    Not for one second suggesting that the experienced runners have been anything other than extremely helpful over the years on various threads and personally to me offline and online.

A lot of what I was talking about occurred on logs too. No I never had a log but I don't think that makes any difference - I would still follow certain logs & never felt that I couldn't post if I felt so inclined.

Ha, yes that was you :). Don't worry, as I said, I never had a problem with the comment - it was your opinion and I think my answer at the time was that I was only in competition with myself & I intended to enjoy trying to improve whether that happened or not. I never even came close to thinking of boiling your bunny ;)

Well, I am sure you'll be happy to know that I have mellowed in my "old age.":)

walshb wrote: »
    Well, I am sure you'll be happy to know that I have mellowed in my "old age.":)

Don't mellow too much - nothing like a healthy debate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

On a similar note, this is a rave about the general camaraderie on Boards AR forum these days (despite a few recent scraps but sure they just serve to keep things spicy!).

This has changed dramatically in the last few months. Not sure what it's down to exactly but I think it's a few things. I think it's mainly down to a few different relatively new posters who interact with posters on their logs across the board (fast to slow runners) and that serves to bring everyone together more. I hope they don't mind me saying but in the main I think it's due to posters such as TbL, Dubgal & Netwerk Error, and a few more to a lesser extent.
    I think the forum is better than ever for this reason!

I'm only new here, but agree about the help on the logs. And you're very much included in that ososlo. Yourself BG and DG are great for keeping us newcomers on track.

The best thing that ever happened was that I injured my foot lol. If I hadn't I'd still be plodding around same as always. Now on the back of meeting ecolii (I asked him for help after raheny and he comes back with a full on 3 month training schedule!!) I have an actual plan, ambitions above me station, even a few race warm up ideas.

I rarely post in the other logs, but read them all the time they are a fantastic resource. I was only looking at Kristy clowns 10k one last night and stumbled on a post where he/she ran from howth to killiney!!! I am definitely adding that to a list of runs I'd love to do in about a year :D

I can't remember what my point was :D..but I think the helpfulness around here from the experts is such a great find!

I rarely post in the other logs, but read them all the time they are a fantastic resource. I was only looking at Kristy clowns 10k one last night and stumbled on a post where he/she ran from howth to killiney!!! I am definitely adding that to a list of runs I'd love to do in about a year :D
    !
    Would that be Krusty's sister? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Would that be Krusty's sister? :D

Lol...Krusty Kristy...there's a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Rave: deleting a negative comment before hitting "post" (twice today) and avoiding upsetting this happy forum today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

dna_leri wrote: »
    Rave: deleting a negative comment before hitting "post" (twice today) and avoiding upsetting this happy forum today. :)
    ah go on, go on, go on :D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement