Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Very confused by that trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can't be too far before the reaper stuff ifntheres multiple races working together.

600 year gap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Varik wrote: »
    Looks odd, when was all that meant to be happening.

Could this intergalactic trip be before ME3/2, humans on the up and up but no reaper invasion yet?

That would be bizarre.

The jump away as the galaxy gets harvested makes the perfect storyline. Why change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That would be bizarre.

The jump away as the galaxy gets harvested makes the perfect storyline. Why change it?

Had assumed it was a Galactic Noah's ark

But did that look like an end of the universe trailer, they're all hopeful, adventurous, and boldly going.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Had assumed it was a Galactic Noah's ark

But did that look like an end of the universe trailer, they're all hopeful, adventurous, and boldly going.

Its an advert for the Andromeda Initiative - it is looking for recruits so it makes some sense that it would look hopeful - if it starts up prior to Mass Effect 3, the Reapers are not known to most.

Could be they have ignored a great starting off point for the game though.

Looking forward to seeing what the story is. I can't wait for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Because they don't want this story to have anything to do with the Reaper invasion. That story is over. If they make anything of the timing then wouldn't everyone be talking about the Reapers and wonder what had happened behind them, were they going to come here to Andromeda, are they the only humans left? Etc.

They seem to be going with "You left before the Reaper war happened, now it's been 600 years and nothing else matters". It's a Mass Effecty setting without the baggage. It's like The Old Republic: same universe, separated by so much time (and in this case, space) that the previous events don't matter.

I am assuming the 600 years is the travel time to Andromeda, with the occupants in cryosleep. Otherwise I don't know what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

One of the conceits of Mass Effect is that the Mass Effect drive allows travel at a rate of about 12ly per day without time dilation. 600 years makes sense as a trip time in this context. Andromeda is about 2.5 million ly away. 600 * 365 = 219,000 days. 219,000 * 12 = 2.6 million ly.

One of the conceits of Mass Effect is that the Mass Effect drive allows travel at a rate of about 12ly per day without time dilation. 600 years makes sense as a trip time in this context. Andromeda is about 2.5 million ly away. 600 * 365 = 219,000 days. 219,000 * 12 = 2.6 million ly.

Geek...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

And proud of it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I hope we never see another reaper again. They ruined what could have been a great story just being a spectre.

I just want to be a loose cannon space police man who plays by his own rules and doesn't answer to anybody! Give me a ship and a bunch of quests and f**k your overarching story :pac:

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    I hope we never see another reaper again. They ruined what could have been a great story just being a spectre.

I just want to be a loose cannon space police man who plays by his own rules and doesn't answer to anybody! Give me a ship and a bunch of quests and f**k your overarching story :pac:

Each to their own.

Story would have been seriously diluted without the reapers for me.

The mystery, menace and rest of events leading up to the end of ME3 were extremely interesting to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

noodler wrote: »
    Each to their own.

Story would have been seriously diluted without the reapers for me.

The mystery, menace and rest of events leading up to the end of ME3 were extremely interesting to me.
    Reapers worked when they were a single one of them such as in ME1; having a whole armies of them and you outrunning them/out gunning them was simply silly and should have played more like "Who do you sacrifice this time?" at most major plot points instead of the "Hey run around you got all the time in the world to get people to join up and fetch their lunch to make them happy".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I wonder if the initiative thing will lead to a beta of MP (if it has one) or just first to get news or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

New Trailer

Box Art & Details leaked today large.jpg

Summary

Mass Effect: Andromeda takes players to the Andromeda galaxy, far beyond the Milky Way. There, players will lead our fight for a new home in hostile territory as the Pathfinder – a leader of military-trained explorers. This is the story of humanity’s next chapter, and player choices throughout the game will ultimately determine our survival.

Features

Chart Your Own Course in a Dangerous New Galaxy – Unravel the mysteries of the Andromeda galaxy as you discover rich, alien worlds in the search for humanity’s new home.

Lead the First Humans in Andromeda on a Desperate Search for our New Home – In this new chapter of Mass Effect, meet and recruit all-new, interesting characters caught up in an epic space saga filled with mystery and galactic conflict.

Fight with your Pathfinder Team In Battle Against Terrifying Enemies and Creatures – New additions like destructible environments, boosted jumps for added verticality, and all-new weapons and Biotics make combat more thrilling than ever.

Build a Formidable Hero With Amazing Weapons, Powers and Tech – With a much more flexible skill and weapon progression tree, you can replicate your play style to make you unstoppable against new, powerful alien enemies.

For 1 player or up to 4 in multiplayer mode

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Mass Effect 2 and 3 added to the backwards compatibility on Xbox One. Free to download if you have EA Access at least, might also be free if you own them on your xbox account but I dunno. Mass Effect 1 was already on the list. Have them all, and all the DLC available on the store downloading now.

HAPPY N7 DAY EVERYONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Meh. Seriously, I don't know what to make of that trailer. Firstly, they need to stop hiring people on Adderall to do their trailers. Secondly, it looks more like a 3rd person action game. Thirdly, I don't know what to make of the story - pretty sure I saw a Reaper on a holograph projection at one point. Fourthly, meh.

Genuinely disappointed by that trailer. If it was supposed to build hype, I think it has failed. When a trailer 4 months before release doesn't give a clear indication as to what the game is about, it doesn't instill confidence in the developer's direction and design. I hope I am wrong as I loved the ME Trilogy, played it many times, but I don't know what to make of this game. The one thing that comes to mind is: I don't think it is strictly Mass Effect to begin with.

Its the first trailer - is it REALLY big a deal, or surprising, that it isn't giving too much about what the game is about? I would think similar is the case for a lot of first trailers.

Whatever, its Mass Effect.... can't wait!

Falthyron wrote: »
    Meh. Seriously, I don't know what to make of that trailer. Firstly, they need to stop hiring people on Adderall to do their trailers. Secondly, it looks more like a 3rd person action game. Thirdly, I don't know what to make of the story - pretty sure I saw a Reaper on a holograph projection at one point. Fourthly, meh.

Genuinely disappointed by that trailer. If it was supposed to build hype, I think it has failed. When a trailer 4 months before release doesn't give a clear indication as to what the game is about, it doesn't instill confidence in the developer's direction and design. I hope I am wrong as I loved the ME Trilogy, played it many times, but I don't know what to make of this game. The one thing that comes to mind is: I don't think it is strictly Mass Effect to begin with.

Whilst I wouldn't feel as strongly as you about it, I definitely thought it was men.

noodler wrote: »
    Whilst I wouldn't feel as strongly as you about it, I definitely thought it was men.

Please, do tell :D

Yeah it's a flashy trailer alright and yeah, doesnt say an awful lot.

I'm guessing the background story is

Shepard in Alliance custody after ME2, looming Reaper threat: Advises backup plan = Andromeda Initiative.
    Hyperion is built, Romy initiates and ships out before ME3 starts.
    Hyperion reaches Andromeda 600 years later.
    Hyperion immediately attacked by unknown hostiles - gets scuttled, loses command structure.
    Ryder is highest ranking surviving officer - given Pathfinder Command.
    Sets out to rescue escapees from the hyperion who have been jettisoned all over the verse.
    Builds elite team of badasses.
    Sets out to kill the neo-reapers and mechanical threshermaws.
    All the while playing 700 year old Johnny Cash's greatest hits and romancing that character you wanna bang.

• Advertisement

Well, i was fairly close, according to the hidden stuff on the site.. (ye need to log in and watch the video, click on the links as it progresses) the AndromedaInitiative is launched in 2185, December 7th, which sets it around the ME2 timeline - as the reaper invasion (ME3)started in September of the next year, 2186.
    THE ANDROMEDA INITIATIVE
    Founded in 2176 and launched in 2185, the Andromeda Initiative is a civilian, multi-species project created to send scientists, explorers and colonists on a one-way trip to settle in the Andromeda Galaxy. With powerful benefactors lending their support, the program has grown substantially in scope since its inception. The Initiative’s ultimate goal is to establish a permanent presence on the seemingly resource-rich frontier of Andromeda, and eventually create a reliable route between it and the Milky Way Galaxy.

could the illusive man (and cerberus) be involved in such a timeline - at least as part of the back story. As I wonder if the rich backers mentioned as a source of the increased scope of the project could include him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, prequelly side story thing. Could be one of those answers questions that never needed to be answered things... unless they bring Harbinger back. Like where the feck was Harbinger in ME3!

Jaysus signing up for that initiative beta test thing was not easy, better get picked after all that.

could the illusive man (and cerberus) be involved in such a timeline - at least as part of the back story. As I wonder if the rich backers mentioned as a source of the increased scope of the project could include him.
    If ye look at the AI logo, it looks like the cerberus logo

andromeda_initiative_by_euderion-dan5pta.jpg

384?cb=20150525030320

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I hate Xbox One owners right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Jaysus signing up for that initiative beta test thing was not easy, better get picked after all that.

What was you N7 score.

If ye look at the AI logo, it looks like the cerberus logo

I'll get banned for saying what those look like :p

What was you N7 score.

38 I think, it said I spent 7 hours playing it, thought it was longer than that though.
    I'll get banned for saying what those look like :p

Glad it wasn't just me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Clancy Brown to play Alec Ryder. Great in HBOs Carnivale years back if anyone remembers but criminally underused in Daredevils season 2.

Advertisement