Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY baby bitten on the head by friends dog.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

"All dogs are the same"

"What about the restricted list?"

"Oh that was made up to appease the tabloid press" THIS IS THE CONVENIENT PART !!!

The restricted breed list was knee jerk legislation, with little thought behind it and almost no logic to it. All dogs have the capacity to be aggressive in the wrong hands, all dogs have the capacity to inflict wounds and so physical damage. I believe a Jack Russell killed an infant last year in the UK, I believe two children were attacked here, one by a Malamute and one by a sibe husky. None of these dogs are on the RB list.
    It is arbitrarily chosen breeds, based on nothing more than fear mongering. Why dobermanns, and not Great Danes or Weimaraner, why GSDs and not Malinois? Why Staffies and not Boxers? Wither the collies, with one of the highest bite records in the country?
    Potential for damage ought to be addressed of course, and there should be much tougher control on who gets to own certain breeds of dog, but that is not the dog's fault, but rather the owner.

Like I said its convenient. You asked I answered. Are all dogs the same? No. See the restricted list for those deemed different under the laws of the land. Is the dog here on that list ? Perhaps. Perhaps not. I would venture yes as there is a reluctance to clarify

But you haven't proved that it's convenient at all, or addressed anything put to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

So the OP's 'baby' (i.e. a 2 year old toddler) was 'attacked' by a dog and one of the first reactions is to post on boards.ie! Did she follow up on twitter and facebook too? Sad really. Hope the kid is ok anyway.

I am happy with laws of the land regarding what dogs are restricted ie not the same. It convenient to whinge about tabloid rection being the reason for the law

Is it? I don't think anyone here was 'whinging' but rather commenting on the lack of logic behind the RB list, using pertinent examples. But go ahead, ignore everything if that is your pleasure.

Well that seems to be your approach. Dogs are different. Fact

Sputtering 'fact' the end of sentence means nothing. Of course dogs are different, as are people and butterflies. Being different does not equal being dangerous. My approach is to look at the wider picture, offer evidence that all dogs have the potential to be aggressive; yours to dodge argument and duck behind the 'law of the land' when questioned on your reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Well that seems to be your approach. Dogs are different. Fact

So, by your reckoning, no two dogs are alike?
    If you really are a postman, I imagine you come across quite a few dogs on your travels. If you were a postman in my area you might even get your daily nip on the fingers off my dog through the letterbox.

He's big
    He's hairy
    He growls
    He is not on any restricted breed list.

Fact is you know absolutely nothing about dogs if you think that it being on the restricted breed list makes it more aggressive. But by your own logic if dogs are different, then you could not assume that two dogs of the same breed will behave the same way. Ergo, you agree that having a restricted breed list is rubbish.

ShaShaBear wrote: »

He's big
    He's hairy
    He growls
    He is not on any restricted breed list.

He sounds exactly like my OH :)

The only issue I have with the restricted list is that it is too narrow

Do you even know what extra laws apply to restricted breeds on this list?
    Do you even know what half of the breeds on this list look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Some of the most docile dogs I've been around are on the restricted dogs list.
    My Akita is a dote. Loves his hugs but if he doesn't like someone or trust anyone he'd let them know. But I certainly wouldn't trust him or any other dog with y child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

This is the correct approach to follow with that has occurred here

You have got to be either a troll or haven't read what the OP has written throughout the post as to what happened, and how she is dealing with it, and why she has no interest in suing her friend.

• Advertisement

Here have a look yourself. You seem very ill informed if you admit you don't know this
    http://www.dspca.ie/index.jsp?p=153&n=216&a=80

I didn't admit anything of the sort, I asked you a question, and you clearly hopped onto Google to cover the fact that you don't know what you are talking about ;) Why else would you try to suggest I know nothing about the silly list when it was me that asked you that question?

No dog should. Anyone who even thinks about this with restricted dogs needs their heads read

You do realise that one of the dogs on this list actually has a better reputation with children than a Jack Russell Terrier?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I didn't admit anything of the sort, I asked you a question, and you clearly hopped onto Google to cover the fact that you don't know what you are talking about ;) Why else would you try to suggest I know nothing about the silly list when it was me that asked you that question?

Classic deflection.

Well you said you didn't know what they looked like. Now you do

Except she didn't say that at all.

Classic deflection.

He googled "Restricted Dog Breeds in Ireland". Very first result is the page from the DSPCA. Hilarious that he couldn't just answer honestly instead of, as you said, classically deflecting!

As fatmammycat said, I most certainly did not say anything of the sort. In fact, my words couldn't even be misinterpreted to mean anything remotely close to that :P

You said you didn't know what they looked like now you do. Again trying to be convenient in the argument isn't working

Where did she say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Guys, I am of the opinion that 'Postman Patrice' is just a rereg of 'Rick Rod'. Funny how he quoted his own post and agreed with it?
    We're just giving him fuel to troll with.

Where did she say this?

I'm bowing out now anyway, for want of calling this lad the bold "T" word, it's only a matter of time before mods come ;)

Guys, I am of the opinion that 'Postman Patrice' is just a rereg of 'Rick Rod'. Funny how he quoted his own post and agreed with it?
    We're just giving him fuel to troll with.

Ah! that's makes a whole lot of sense. Right, I might as well go watch football so, thanks BLM, have a good evening, and to you SSB.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Postman Patrice

No what she said was
    Originally Posted by ShaShaBear
    Do you even know what extra laws apply to restricted breeds on this list?
    Do you even know what half of the breeds on this list look like?

The "?" at the end indicates that this was a question, directed at you, that you clearly didn't have an answer to other than to deflect and run to Google.

Until we know .....
    None of our business and thankfully for all involved it wasn't you who was involved.

Ah I see someone has been editing their posts

You don't see anything of the sort, since when a post is edited, it is marked publicly underneath the post who edited, when it was last edited and the reason for the edit, which you can clearly see below in this post, which I have edited.

Nice try lad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Until we know if the dog was on the restricted list or not there may be a case for the garda involvement whether or not the OP wants

One last thing PP/RR - The dog, restricted or not, was in its own home. Even if it was restricted, no laws have been broken. The laws regarding RBs are when they are in a public place.

You really need to educate yourself on your arguments before you continue to embarrass yourself with your lack of knowledge on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What is the restricted Dog list done by?
    Is it how prone to attacks or what?

Ah I see someone has been editing their posts

She didn't edit her post at all, you were wrong. Anyway, football.

You do realise that a child being attacked give cause for garda involvement if the parents rent willing or able to take appropriate action

You do realise that this is being dealt with by the two adults partially responsible for the incident.
    You do realise that there is not even a dr's letter as in this incident didn't even warrant a trip to the GP.

Are we clear yet what kind of dog involved ??

An uncomfortable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Are we clear yet what kind of dog involved ??

Nope, but it's pretty clear you're on a wind up mission.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

To all,
    Postman Patrice has been site-banned as a re-reg of Rick Rod, who was site-banned recently for trolling.
    As a result, posts by Postman Patrice have been deleted, but may still appear in quoted posts.
    From this point on, there's obviously no need to respond to this troll, so please don't.
    Thank you to those of you who reported this messing today, and apologies for the thread being temporarily taken down, it was a damage limitation exercise whilst we dealt with the idiocy.
    Thread re-opened.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement