Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduced Capacity on Peak service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Grandeeod wrote: »
    These handles are designed for something specific and you know that. It's beside the door for a reason. I've lost count of the amount of times I saw people using them to assist boarding. You may be young and fit as a fiddle, but not everyone is. Just because you havent witnessed anyone using them for assistance dosent make my point mute. As for holding them while standing, I never said you shouldn't, but according to you you don't need to anyway.

Which brings me to standing without holding onto anything at 100mph without any danger, I'm glad you are not in charge of railway safety. A sudden braking of the train and its domino time. Thats why commuter trains geared towards an expectant level of standing passengers are designed specifically to accommodate it. I think the 22ks are decent trains. I accept that on occasion people have to stand, but I do not accept that these trains are capable of dealing with a large proportion of passengers standing, no more than any other IC train.

There is very few times for very sudden braking and when you are standing on the 22's you always have something to lean against. Your making to much of an issue. You could easily fit 50-60 people standing comfortably and that's me given lots of space. In the UK people are squashed on trains at 125mph and there is no safety issues and anyway its not as if the Sligo line gets past 75mph, 80 at most.

If you like they should run a 4 car 2900 to Sligo instead but that wouldn't please people either, now would it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

SeanW wrote: »
    It wouldn't have happened last Friday if the train had been 6 carriages.

Are you saying that nobody would be standing if it had been a 6 piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Grandeeod wrote: »
    For a regular on here that appears to know what they are talking about, you have joined Hilly bill in the ultimate, "we know stuff, but would rather take the piss out of others in a very patronising fashion" brigade. And not for the first time either.

Your point about the ICRCs is misleading. Considering the knowledge you appear to have, your points of defence are rather dubious. You know damn well they aren't designed for commuter traffic where there are lots of passengers standing and never will be. Could you please stop the "I know best" BS? Probably not. I find your posts along with a few others to be rather geared towards making fun of people that question things you think are justified.

Yep we sure do know stuff, a bit more than you think we do :D

Fact is, that there are handles on a train to allow for a certain amount of standees at any one time. A mainline train, while not laid out to accommodate as many people standing as a DART or commuter stock, actually allows for this should the need arise. The steady and smooth nature of a train journey and track means that it is far safer to stand than, say a bus or aeroplane.

Yes, it's not ideal that people are standing if at all possible but it does happen from time to time and it can happen at times when it's unexpected. With that in mind, lets agree that handle are for handling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    In the UK people are squashed on trains at 125mph and there is no safety issues
    yet. the uk situation is extremely unacceptable and makes for a very uncomfortable journey, then again what would you expect when one sells off their rolling stock to banks and private pension funds
    If you like they should run a 4 car 2900 to Sligo instead but that wouldn't please people either, now would it...
    or they could run the required size ICR on the route which its designed to operate, your dead right operating a rickity horrid uncomfortable noisy smelly dirty 2900 rail car to sligo doesn't never has and never will please people and it is shambolic that it is happening or has ever happened, a 4 car 29 should not be operating to sligo or rosslare and theirs no excuse for it and its down to incompitents that it is happening.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭SeanW

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Very likely - room for standees is very limited in those cars, I don't think each car that was there could have held more than 10-20 standees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

It's a rare thing to see anyone standing on that service if its a 6 piece, i've rarely witnessed it.
    Shame is with these reduced over packed carriages, theres really v little room for wheelchair passengers..which i witnessed last week too.

I could be making this up but aren't wheelchair users asked to give 24hr notice to travel?

Now this evening I was on a packed 4 coach train and there was a lot more that 30-40 people standing as with Sligo and they were standing for 1h30m-1h45m which isn't right.
    It's a rare thing to see anyone standing on that service if its a 6 piece, i've rarely witnessed it.

I see it every week.

I could be making this up but aren't wheelchair users asked to give 24hr notice to travel?

Now this evening I was on a packed 4 coach train and there was a lot more that 30-40 people standing as with Sligo and they were standing for 1h30m-1h45m which isn't right.

I see it every week.

Fine, but are they squashed to within an inch of their lives? Its not that common on a 6 piece service to Sligo in the evenings to be honest

re-wheelchair users..i don't know that..but, why should they give notice, isnt that discriminatory against them? what about a wheelchair user that requires train use daily, like every other commuter, to get to work? why should they give notice, they have or should have equal rights to travel as they choose every day, shouldnt they?

MDFM wrote: »
    Shame is with these reduced over packed carriages, theres really v little room for wheelchair passengers..which i witnessed last week too.

rare? Far from it. There would have been less people standing but a guarantee that their will be some standing. Some by choice and some from not checking the whole train for seats. A wheelchair will always get on a train.

I see it every week.
    If the wheelchairs arrive in good time then they will always get on a train .

• Advertisement

rare? Far from it. There would have been less people standing but a guarantee that their will be some standing. Some by choice and some from not checking the whole train for seats. A wheelchair will always get on a train.

Yes rare, fact..on 6 piece, when they had them to sligo, 16.00hr & 17.05hr, rarely anyone standing from Connolly & if they were they at least had standing room. Im on those services daily nearly 10 years now..

Fine, but are they squashed to within an inch of their lives? Its not that common on a 6 piece service to Sligo in the evenings to be honest

re-wheelchair users..i don't know that..but, why should they give notice, isnt that discriminatory against them? what about a wheelchair user that requires train use daily, like every other commuter, to get to work? why should they give notice, they have or should have equal rights to travel as they choose every day, shouldnt they?

Those that require assistance on and off trains are well looked after.

If they can actually get on the train to begin with that is

Yes rare, fact..on 6 piece, when they had them to sligo, 16.00hr & 17.05hr, rarely anyone standing from Connolly & if they were they at least had standing room. Im on those services daily nearly 10 years now..

Those trains will always have someone standing. To be truthful, the only reason the train foggy was one looked squashed was that some decided to stand at the doors rather than move down the carriage.

If they can actually get on the train to begin with that is

They will always get on if they arrive on time and ask for assistance.

How? You obviously haven't been on the affected service in question lately so

How? You obviously haven't been on the affected service in question lately so

Its simple, they use the ramp and go into the designated areas.The decent people move. Which affected service are you on about?

Its simple, they use the ramp and go into the designated areas.The decent people move. Which affected service are you on about?

Move to where?
    Read recent post about 19hr to sligo friday, jammed packed. Having been on that service lately on a Friday I can tell you room to swing a cat is not possible

Move to where?
    Read recent post about 19hr to sligo friday, jammed packed. Having been on that service lately on a Friday I can tell you room to swing a cat is not possible

Move down the carriage. Swinging cats is not allowed and that train always has plenty of room when its a 6 piece. Next time you get that train, head for the front.

Move down the carriage. Swinging cats is not allowed and that train always has plenty of room when its a 6 piece. Next time you get that train, head for the front.

Rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Got the 7:05pm train the last three nights from Connolly to Maynooth, Friday and Saturday were mental, no room at all and people were sitting on the floor in the doorway and outside the toilet on both nights, tonight I found the first carriage fairly empty not sure what it was like in the last one as I will be avoiding it from now on.

Rubbish
    There are bins available for that.

Got the 7:05pm train the last three nights from Connolly to Maynooth, Friday and Saturday were mental, no room at all and people were sitting on the floor in the doorway and outside the toilet on both nights, tonight I found the first carriage fairly empty not sure what it was like in the last one as I will be avoiding it from now on.

It's people like you who cause "no room" on the service....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes I agree, but only where there is adequate accommodation on a train.
    If the wheelchairs arrive in good time then they will always get on a train .
    Arriving in good time or not if the train is packed 15 minutes before departure there is going to be nowhere for a wheelchair and possibly two or three adults and children to go.
    Again, only where there is adequate accommodation on the train.
    Those trains will always have someone standing. To be truthful, the only reason the train foggy was one looked squashed was that some decided to stand at the doors rather than move down the carriage.
    There was nowhere to move that was safe enough to stand, the only place on the 22000's with handrails is at the doors and standing in the aisle is not safe due to people passing by going to and from the toilets and snack car/trolley.
    Yet again only where there is adequate accommodation on a train.
    Where are any people going to move to?

To suggest that 20 or more people will just move from a corridor and wheelchair area on a train at the sight of a wheelchair is just plain silly and no staff member worth anything would put a wheelchair user into such a situation where they are responsible for even more discomfort of so many other passengers.

:confused: What do YOU mean, I sat in a seat as I got there early enough to get a seat.

:confused:What do YOU mean, I sat in a seat as I got there early enough to get a seat.

Yes you as a "commuter" took the seat of a person traveling further than Maynooth. If you are that concerned about over crowding, maybe you should get the Commuter service to Maynooth. It would of meant one less person sitting on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

As it is currently organised a passenger going to Maynooth or even Drumcondra has as much right to a seat on the train as someone going all the way

Yes you as a "commuter" took the seat of a person traveling further than Maynooth. If you are that concerned about over crowding, maybe you should get the Commuter service to Maynooth. It would of meant one less person sitting on the floor.

:mad: Are you for real, the train is a direct service to Maynooth, why should I take up a seat on the commuter service which stops at 9 stops before Maynooth, this one goes direct, you make no sense with this.

:mad: Are you for real, the train is a direct service to Maynooth, why should I take up a seat on the commuter service which stops at 9 stops before Maynooth, this one goes direct, you make no sense with this.

Well enjoy it while it lasts as instead of restoring 6 piece sets, Maynooth will be dropped from some services to ease the problem somewhat. You have every right to travel on the service but its a bit rich coming on here complaining its over crowded.

• Advertisement

I get what you say Foggy but it only takes a few minutes for people to stand aside for the chair to move into the chair area and then those can go and stand back where they where. But above all, common sense prevails.

Advertisement