Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduced Capacity on Peak service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Yes you as a "commuter" took the seat of a person traveling further than Maynooth. If you are that concerned about over crowding, maybe you should get the Commuter service to Maynooth. It would of meant one less person sitting on the floor.

The 19.10 to Maynooth is usually standing only but it was strangely quieter last friday with plenty of seats with some still standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

This post has been deleted.

That will not happen, it will be the train that has the most capacity in the evenings that will be kept so the 17.05 is likely but 16.00 and 19.05 services if they remain 3 or 4 coaches will be axed from the timetable if over crowding continues. Best demand from Maynooth is probably students on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You guys are nuts, what the hell have I stumbled into here, I made one comment about how busy the service was on Friday and Saturday but not tonight and I get attacked from all sides, enjoy your trains lads I am going to sleep. Mad, just plain mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Are you for real, the train is a direct service to Maynooth, why should I take up a seat on the commuter service which stops at 9 stops before Maynooth, this one goes direct, you make no sense with this.
    because this was probably a sligo train which only stops at maynooth in both directions to facilitate students going to and from maynooth to stations on the sligo line, and to facilitate a change for those going from stations before maynooth to stations between it and connolly. there fore it would be appreciated if you see the sligo train is crowded to wait for the maynooth commuter trains, the fact the sligo train is direct is no excuse, just a suggestion

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

You guys are nuts, what the hell have I stumbled into here, I made one comment about how busy the service was on Friday and Saturday but not tonight and I get attacked from all sides, enjoy your trains lads I am going to sleep. Mad, just plain mad.
    huh? yes you complained about the service being crowded, fine, however all that was said to you was to consider using the maynooth commuters instead if the direct train (which was probably a sligo train) is crowded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Well enjoy it while it lasts as instead of restoring 6 piece sets, Maynooth will be dropped from some services to ease the problem somewhat. You have every right to travel on the service but its a bit rich coming on here complaining its over crowded.
    So instead of fixing the issue by adding at least one carriage to a few trains and stopping people for Maynooth boarding in Connolly and Drumcondra they are going to Fúck it up for a load more passengers who will not be able to get their trains from Maynooth and the busy student trains will still be packed out like they are in India? more Irish Fail logic at work!
    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I get what you say Foggy but it only takes a few minutes for people to stand aside for the chair to move into the chair area and then those can go and stand back where they where. But above all, common sense prevails.
    No you don't! You want people to stand aside to some fantastic clear area that does not exist so that a wheelchair can move into the space they were standing in, Then you say they can move back to where they were standing? are they to stand on the wheelchair user? And they must do all of this without any handrails.
    That will not happen, it will be the train that has the most capacity in the evenings that will be kept so the 17.05 is likely but 16.00 and 19.05 services if they remain 3 or 4 coaches will be axed from the timetable if over crowding continues. Best demand from Maynooth is probably students on Friday.
    Is there a shortage of 22000's? how many were crashed/damaged? how many are currently mothballed or out of service long term?

So instead of fixing the issue by adding at least one carriage to a few trains and stopping people for Maynooth boarding in Connolly and Drumcondra they are going to Fúck it up for a load more passengers who will not be able to get their trains from Maynooth and the busy student trains will still be packed out like they are in India? more Irish Fail logic at work!

I can't see many students taking the last service to Sligo, most collages finish up early on Fridays and best demand will probably be on the 17.05 service.
    Is there a shortage of 22000's? how many were crashed/damaged? how many are currently mothballed or out of service long term?

Nope but there won't be enough for all service to be 6 coaches sets. Only a limited of services can be 6 or 7 car sets and of course Friday afternoon they will be in high demand.

I can't see many students taking the last service to Sligo, most collages finish up early on Fridays and best demand will probably be on the 17.05 service.

Nope but there won't be enough for all service to be 6 coaches sets. Only a limited of services can be 6 or 7 car sets and of course Friday afternoon they will be in high demand.

students will sometimes have sdudying or other extra curricular activities to undertake on friday and on other days.

There are plenty of 22000's on that Docklands-M4 Parkway route, these could be added to the Sligo and other routes and a few rail cars used for the M4 Parkway commuter services! Is there some big shot in government or Irish Rail living out that way that they are wasting the new trains on a route with disastrously low loadings apart from a few peak trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Anyone ever remember when on a Friday only the 1705 Sligo was first stop Longford? Those were the days. Storming along the canal with 8 Mk2s, sometimes more and a lovely 071 up front.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »

No you don't! You want people to stand aside to some fantastic clear area that does not exist so that a wheelchair can move into the space they were standing in, Then you say they can move back to where they were standing? are they to stand on the wheelchair user? And they must do all of this without any handrails.

Foggy, read the last line of my post again .

Foggy, read the last line of my post again .
    That will not make you right.

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Anyone ever remember when on a Friday only the 1705 Sligo was first stop Longford? Those were the days. Storming along the canal with 8 Mk2s, sometimes more and a lovely 071 up front.
    and for the rosslare services bray was the first stop, the 3 extra stops are handy but they could be dropped if it saves some time, it would save a few minutes which on the rosslare line is a lot of time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Sometimes it was even 10 Cravens and 2 GSVs. And that was only 6 or 7 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's people like you who cause "no room" on the service....
    I think that comment is unfair on the other user - they are just as entitled to use the service as anyone else.

That will not make you right.

I think it does. Common sense should always come first.

Victor wrote: »
    I think that comment is unfair on the other user - they are just as entitled to use the service as anyone else.

fair enough but I'm sure you see the point behind it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Well enjoy it while it lasts as instead of restoring 6 piece sets, Maynooth will be dropped from some services to ease the problem somewhat. You have every right to travel on the service but its a bit rich coming on here complaining its over crowded.

Out of interest, where do you get this information from? What are your sources to back up this claim and many other claims as such of dropping peak Connolly-sligo services?

MDFM wrote: »
    Out of interest, where do you get this information from? What are your sources to back up this claim and many other claims as such of dropping peak Connolly-sligo services?

If over crowding becomes an issue and commuter stops cause a lot of it they will drop the stops. They have done it on the Heuston side to ease the problem in the last timetable it will follow on the Connolly side, all services are not going to have capacity restored, some will but all won't.

If over crowding becomes an issue and commuter stops cause a lot of it they will drop the stops. They have done it on the Heuston side to ease the problem in the last timetable it will follow on the Connolly side, all services are not going to have capacity restored, some will but all won't.

So you are guessing really..Just cos they've done it on one timetable, doesn't mean the same will apply to another. Yes capacity may not be restored on all services, but in no way does that mean stops/services will be dropped. Either prove your information to be correct or just stop throwing out wild guesses as to what may or may not happen. Have Irish Rail confirmed any of your 'theories'?

• Advertisement

MDFM wrote: »
    So you are guessing really..Just cos they've done it on one timetable, doesn't mean the same will apply to another. Yes capacity may not be restored on all services, but in no way does that mean stops/services will be dropped. Either prove your information to be correct or just stop throwing out wild guesses as to what may or may not happen. Have Irish Rail confirmed any of your 'theories'?

So what will happen then?, its either capacity or stops cut to ease the problem. Why would they treat Sligo or Maynooth commuters any different to other lines?

Once the complains start coming in thick and fast they will act at some point.

So what will happen then?, its either capacity or stops cut to ease the problem. Why would they treat Sligo or Maynooth commuters any different to other lines?

Once the complains start coming in thick and fast they will act at some point.

Neither of which you know to be a dead cert...

On the Heuston side they removed most of the stops on intercity trains as far as Portlaoise and this coincided with increased frequency on the Portlaoise commuter and almost all the intercity trains still stop in Portlaoise or Portarlington to allow for connections for people between Heuston and Portlaoise going west and south-west, This seems to work very well and makes for quicker connections even though two or three trains are required.

On the sligo line they have already taken out all the stops that they can as far as Maynooth without affecting the core travellers that the service is aimed at which is those travelling to or from stops past Maynooth. The last thing needed is a situation where people must travel into Connolly from Maynooth, Leixlip, etc, to get the train to Kilcock or Mullingar or Sligo.

If Maynooth is removed from the Sligo train's itinerary in Heuston then anyone travelling to Maynooth on a Sligo train regardless of their ticket will be travelling without a ticket and can be fined as no ticket will allow any passenger to disembark at Maynooth.

On the Heuston side they removed most of the stops on intercity trains as far as Portlaoise and this coincided with increased frequency on the Portlaoise commuter and almost all the intercity trains still stop in Portlaoise or Portarlington to allow for connections for people between Heuston and Portlaoise going west and south-west, This seems to work very well and makes for quicker connections even though two or three trains are required.

On the sligo line they have already taken out all the stops that they can as far as Maynooth without affecting the core travellers that the service is aimed at which is those travelling to or from stops past Maynooth. The last thing needed is a situation where people must travel into Connolly from Maynooth, Leixlip, etc, to get the train to Kilcock or Mullingar or Sligo.

If Maynooth is removed from the Sligo train's itinerary in Heuston then anyone travelling to Maynooth on a Sligo train regardless of their ticket will be travelling without a ticket and can be fined as no ticket will allow any passenger to disembark at Maynooth.

There hasn't being a major change to peak services freq out of Heuston. They are not going to completely scrap Maynooth from services but out of 7 services a day I think we could see 5 serving and two not. Including the Longford commuter services between after 3 6 services stop in Maynooth and 4 go all the way to Sligo and two to Longford, a drop will affect next to nobody very much.

Now I'm a little board of going over the same thing and some people taking what I said out of context.

There hasn't being a major change to peak services freq out of Heuston. They are not going to completely scrap Maynooth from services but out of 7 services a day I think we could see 5 serving and two not. Including the Longford commuter services between after 3 6 services stop in Maynooth and 4 go all the way to Sligo and two to Longford, a drop will affect next to nobody very much.

Now I'm a little board of going over the same thing and some people taking what I said out of context.
    Quite a lot of people get on at Maynooth for all the Sligo services as it is the only train serving the stops along the line. It would be wrong to remove Maynooth as a stop, It would be easier on passengers all around to stop commuters from using the Sligo trains.

The answer to overcrowding is never to remove services but to rearrange them to cater for those in most need! In this case those going farther than Maynooth are in need while those only going to Maynooth should be forced onto the commuter service they fought so hard for!

Quite a lot of people get on at Maynooth for all the Sligo services as it is the only train serving the stops along the line. It would be wrong to remove Maynooth as a stop, It would be easier on passengers all around to stop commuters from using the Sligo trains.

The answer to overcrowding is never to remove services but to rearrange them to cater for those in most need! In this case those going farther than Maynooth are in need while those only going to Maynooth should be forced onto the commuter service they fought so hard for!

Do you have stats for everyday and all 6 evening services, if numbers are so good and revenue is great they won't drop them but of 6 services there is scope of changing services if over crowding continues to be a problem.

Do you have stats for everyday and all 6 evening services, if numbers are so good and revenue is great they won't drop them but of 6 services there is scope of changing services if over crowding continues to be a problem.
    Unfortunately Irish Rail are not great at sharing such sensitive information but any train I have ever got to Maynooth(I used to live there) always had good numbers boarding.

To discommode all these passengers just because Irish Rail don't want to upset the posh gits from Maynooth that want to get the "express" Sligo train home would be very wrong and will lose the company more in the long run than they will ever gain from such a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭SeanW

First stop was Mullingar on the 6PM Sligo train and it took 1 hour.

The new arrangement is OK, as I observed above there is no urgent need to kick Maynooth commuters off the trains outbound because they don't use it enough numbers, and there are usually near as many get on at Maynooth as get off. Inbound is another story, but then again all the people further out having priority in seating by virtue of having been there first, and I haven't seen the same issues with too few carriages as the evening trains. Not by a mile.

We need the trains to have enough capacity. A seat for all long-haul passengers from Meath to Sligo in the mornings, and similar numbers of carriages on all the peak hour trains ex-Connolly in the evenings.

You can get any train you want if that train stops at your destination. Its unworkable and pointless to prevent someone getting on a train that stops at their destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭SeanW

You can get any train you want if that train stops at your destination. Its unworkable and pointless to prevent someone getting on a train that stops at their destination.
    It is a good idea in theory and it could be used on the Sligo line if the need ever arose, probably should be used on the Rosslare line.

If you think the idea is "unworkable and pointless" take a trip to New York City and try to use a Metro North New Haven Line train to go between Grand Central and Fordham ... you will find the idea of having "stops to pick up/drop off passengers only" works rather well and can be enforced.

Advertisement