Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

annapr wrote: »
    Question for you, P: do you think you would feel better now if you had adjusted your expectation/target on the day and ground out a sub 3:30, for example? (Or similar to PaulieY). Might you have been better targeting to improve on your NYC performance, but maybe not aiming for a sub-3?

P.S. Hope the brow beating above is not your race report...

Short answers to your questions, yes & yes.

Longer answers:

Both RuMan & El Caballo's assertions are fairly accurate I'd say.
    If I'd aimed for a time in line with how fit I felt I was going into Boston & New York, I'd have probably hit both quite comfortably and enjoyed the race experiences a lot more. However, being the stubborn fecker I am, I went out at a pace I wanted to believe I could sustain from the start. I was wrong both times, hence the subsequent death marches. In Ballycotton & Raheny I was also struggling early, but it's a hell of a lot easier to see out 5m/10m (when you're struggling after just 2m), than it is to hold that pace for another 24+. Those race times may have predicted one thing in the marathon, but the truth is the effort for those (30:16 & 63:59) felt far more difficult than any previous races I'd done (most of which were faster) and I knew myself I was way out of shape. I was even hitting the red zone in the MP runs I completed in training which I knew shouldn't be the case. I didn't really listen to my body because I didn't want to believe it.

I don't really feel like writing a race report at the moment. The result is depressing enough. Recalling the gruesome details of just how it unfolded might reduce me to tears :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Conor McGregor and Yaboya releasing statements at the same time....hmmmm

Has anyone ever seen them in the same room?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Listen P, I folded in the heat in Rotterdam before only to bounce back and run sub 3 (I never did write that RTM race report).
    Get a good 9 months behind you of consistent, but enjoyable running, take a day off if you feel like it (perish the thought :)), run some short no pressure races/parkruns to get back in shape and then nail a specific 13 week marathon program next Spring (if that's what you decide to do).
    The talent is undoubtedly there, sh1t happens, learn from it and keep making mistakes - otherwise you'll get too comfortable ;)

Gavlor wrote: »

God I love the opportunity to kick someone when they are down :D

The Funes Mori of boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The Funes Mori of boards!

How's that glass house coming on??

https://twitter.com/johnmerro1/status/723086198927941632

• Advertisement

Bloody Barcelona players - cnuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I'm going to come across as a dick (as usual) but nearly 12 months ago you asked me on a run, what you should do training wise going forward. I advised not running New York or Boston. Easy to say you were right in hindsight but it was obvious 12 months ago you needed a change of focus. Even just for 6 months. You ran both marathons as they were races you always wanted to do. I can understand that. What I can't understand is why you are surprised you haven't progressed.

I'm going to come across as a dick (as usual) but nearly 12 months ago you asked me on a run, what you should do training wise going forward. I advised not running New York or Boston. Easy to say you were right in hindsight but it was obvious 12 months ago you needed a change of focus. Even just for 6 months. You ran both marathons as they were races you always wanted to do. I can understand that. What I can't understand is why you are surprised you haven't progressed.

I don't think you're coming across as a dick. It's a very fair point.

The only person who thought I should run both (or either) marathon(s) was me. The non-running friends & family I associate with, doctors, physios and basically anyone else I complained to about feeling knackered & fatigued all echoed your good advice. I ignored it for the reason you gave above. You've summed it up well at the end (in bold). It really is that simple, and I shouldn't be at all surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Don't forget you also ran Dublin a few weeks after Berlin, half expecting to better your time, despite everyone (me included) telling you you were mad. :)

You liked your marathons at the time. You don't now. No one seems to know more than yourself what needs to be done here. (Going back to your golf game is not the answer, although it would probably help if you can do both, as FBOT and Ferris seem to be able to do.)

I don't know the answer, but I do know that you will figure it out. You're analytical by nature, and you're good at it to boot.

Long time since I posted here......

Boston really hurt me. I made a lot of mistakes for the first time in New York and vowed never to repeat them, but I went and did it again in Boston to a far worse degree. To run (& walk) even slower than I had when I'd made my 2010 debut in Dublin really did feel like I'd hit rock bottom. It's taken me a while to get over it.

Anyway, I did my best to just get out and keep running from the end of April, mostly managing to keep the weekly mileage decent (>40pw) bar a few manic weeks in the middle of summer where something had to give. In my case it was the running/training that suffered for that fortnight or so.

I had entered the entire Race Series, but setting targets was difficult since my training was so inconsistent and I'd no idea what shape I was in. In the end I ran the 5m comfortably hard (31:3x), skipped the 10k and went golfing instead due to the missed fortnight & acted as a 70 minute pacer for Murph_D in the 10m (69:45). Training's been going ok lately and I needed some sort of marker to gauge what I should target in the HM, since the most recent time I'd 'raced' was in Ballycotton last March (63:59). So I gave a couple of parkruns a bash the last two Saturdays (18:20, 18:55). Both were primarily solo efforts with other runners either too far ahead or behind to get into a battle with. I actually feel the second one was a better run on a more difficult course. McMillan & VDOT both predict times in the 1:24:xx's off the quickest of those, but I see FBOT01 ran 1:24 at the weekend, so I'll just have to beat that :pac:

Looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Good to see you back P best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Welcome back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Long time since I posted here......

Boston really hurt me. I made a lot of mistakes for the first time in New York and vowed never to repeat them, but I went and did it again in Boston to a far worse degree. To run (& walk) even slower than I had when I'd made my 2010 debut in Dublin really did feel like I'd hit rock bottom. It's taken me a while to get over it.

Anyway, I did my best to just get out and keep running from the end of April, mostly managing to keep the weekly mileage decent (>40pw) bar a few manic weeks in the middle of summer where something had to give. In my case it was the running/training that suffered for that fortnight or so.

I had entered the entire Race Series, but setting targets was difficult since my training was so inconsistent and I'd no idea what shape I was in. In the end I ran the 5m comfortably hard (31:3x), skipped the 10k and went golfing instead due to the missed fortnight & acted as a 70 minute pacer for Murph_D in the 10m (69:45). Training's been going ok lately and I needed some sort of marker to gauge what I should target in the HM, since the most recent time I'd 'raced' was in Ballycotton last March (63:59). So I gave a couple of parkruns a bash the last two Saturdays (18:20, 18:55). Both were primarily solo efforts with other runners either too far ahead or behind to get into a battle with. I actually feel the second one was a better run on a more difficult course. McMillan & VDOT both predict times in the 1:24:xx's off the quickest of those, but I see FBOT01 ran 1:24 at the weekend, so I'll just have to beat that :pac:

Looking forward to it :)

You forgot to mention that you not only ran 18:55 on a tough course in Castle Demesne but you managed to lead from pillar to post, run the correct course and bag your first parkrun first finisher.........well on the road to redemption!!

1:24:01 is the mark. It's there for the taking. ENJOY!!!

Official time of 1:26:16 for me.

Solid effort all the way, but fairly disappointed with that if I'm being honest. I thought I'd be around 1:24 at worst. Glad I'm pacing rather than racing DCM, as my fitness just isn't where it needs to be. All roads lead to London 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Solid effort all the way, but fairly disappointed with that if I'm being honest. I thought I'd be around 1:24 at worst. Glad I'm pacing rather than racing DCM, as my fitness just isn't where it needs to be. All roads lead to London 2017.

Good to see you back P

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great to see you back P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

+1, good to see you back P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Looking at what you posted earlier, 1.26 is a damn good time.
    Don't knock it or 'think' that you are at a different place than you are - that'll lead you to mental torture.

If 1.26 is a solid effort then that's where you're at. Its a great platform to build on for the coming months.

If you can get yourself into a consistent pattern of training & racing - you'll make superb progress - most of us on here know you have the talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Good to see you around these parts again.

What time are you pacing at Dublin? Any other races planned for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play P, I've not been tuned in here for a while but good to see you back in the saddle. That result and pacing DCM will be a super springboard for spring.

• Advertisement

Looking at what you posted earlier, 1.26 is a damn good time.
    Don't knock it or 'think' that you are at a different place than you are - that'll lead you to mental torture.

If 1.26 is a solid effort then that's where you're at. Its a great platform to build on for the coming months.

If you can get yourself into a consistent pattern of training & racing - you'll make superb progress - most of us on here know you have the talent.

Yeah, it's not as bad as I first thought, especially on that course. The week before I paced 70mins for Murph_D in the FD10 I was struggling to hold that pace in one mile reps and blowing out of my arse running 'easy' sub 8 miles with dublin runner. So it's a definite improvement from then. I'll do my best to continue the trend.

Singer wrote: »
    Good to see you around these parts again.

What time are you pacing at Dublin? Any other races planned for now?

Thanks.
    Pacing band still to be finalised, but it definitely won't be your 3:10 group ;).

I'm probably going to target another HM (Portarlington or Waterford) before Christmas and maybe Jingle Bells 5k too. Should fit a few parkruns in before that. Going to do some parkrun tourism while I have the chance. Rough plan for next year then is Raheny 5m - Enniscorthy 10k/Trim 10m (or both) - Ballycotton 10m - London Marathon.

Killerz wrote: »
    Fair play P, I've not been tuned in here for a while but good to see you back in the saddle. That result and pacing DCM will be a super springboard for spring.

Thanks Jamie.
    I saw you ahead of me on Saturday. You looked very strong. Your result backed that up. Are you racing Dublin? I'd be confident of a good result for you there on recent form.

Thanks Jamie.
    I saw you ahead of me on Saturday. You looked very strong. Your result backed that up. Are you racing Dublin? I'd be confident of a good result for you there on recent form.

Thanks P. I had hoped for a little better, but the result is prob a fair reflection of where I am at, so I accept that. Racing Dublin alright - I find it hard to predict a time for longer races given the sporadic nature of my training but hopefully I'll manage a PB.

Thanks P. I had hoped for a little better, but the result is prob a fair reflection of where I am at, so I accept that. Racing Dublin alright - I find it hard to predict a time for longer races given the sporadic nature of my training but hopefully I'll manage a PB.

I don't think you're the only one there, but maybe that's because that course adds some time? Anyway, still looking good for the pb in Dublin off that result.

I don't think you're the only one there, but maybe that's because that course adds some time? Anyway, still looking good for the pb in Dublin off that result.

Hopefully! Cheers

Post DCHM:

Been continuing to consistently log between 40-60mpw, while keeping it as simple as possible. Regular schedule involves a tempo/LT day, a long run & a parkrun enveloped by easy miles and usually at least one rest day. Definitely feel the fitness gradually coming back and really looking forward to the DCM. Immediate plan after that is pacing in Clontarf before a flat out go at the Waterford HM in December.

31/10/2016

Enjoyable pacing gig yesterday, if somewhat tough towards the end. The Dublin Marathon really is a fantastic event.
    Recent training highlights below.

5 x parkruns: 18:20, 18:55, 18:26, 18:12, 18:00

1 x raced HM: 1:26:16

1 x 3:40 paced marathon, (5 x 3 hour long runs at 3:40 MP)

Weekly tempo sessions (4x8mins, 4x10mins, 3x12mins, 4x12mins)

I've another month of training ahead of me before the Waterford HM, so I'll do my best to keep up a similar routine. I think there's a possibility I might be able to give my pb a rattle there depending on how the next few weeks go. We'll see!

23/11/2016

Took a complete week off (zero running) after the DCM, before slotting back into the same loose plan I'd been following beforehand. Been averaging around 50mpw.

Main sessions:

1 x parkrun: 18:30

1 x 1:45 paced half-marathon

Weekly tempo sessions (3x12mins, 4x12mins, 3x15mins)

Hoping to get another parkrun in this weekend as a final blowout, but another morning like we've had lately on Saturday could put paid to that. Not really sure what to expect in Waterford. Don't know what I'll be happy with, but I do know I'll be disgusted if I fail to better my Dublin HM time from September.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

All the best in Waterford in the morning P, run well.

Advertisement