Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Wednesday 19th March - 45 minutes Easy
    4.58m @ 9:50p/m average

Just an easy run to loosen up the legs after yesterday's workout. Went as slow as I possibly could, despite the fact that the HRM said my average was 162bpm. This was definitely incorrect as I don't even think I broke sweat. I'll have to make sure I moisten the HRM before I head out next time.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:45
    Mile 2 - 9:42
    Mile 3 - 9:52
    Mile 4 - 9:54
    0.58 - 5:49

Thursday 20th March - Rest

Today was supposed to be a complete day of rest, but I woke up early feeling fresh and decided to get another cycle of stretching, foam rolling and core work in. Seems to have loosened me out and any stiffness from the past couple of days has vanished. Can't wait for Saturday now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck on Saturday P!

Gold, Silver & Bronze targets??
    What's the course profile like?

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of luck on Saturday P!

Gold, Silver & Bronze targets??
    What's the course profile like?

Thanks John.
    Let's go with the following:

Gold: Sub 1:25 (Hopeful/confident I can achieve this)
    Silver: Sub 1:26:20 (I ran this is training for Seville)
    Bronze: Sub 1:30 (original 2014 goal)

This is TRR's take on it: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27529179

I've ran it once. Nice scenic course. I remember it as being a little hilly in parts. Definitely not a PB course in my opinion. I would have expected to run 2 minutes quicker than I actually did. Wind can be also an issue as it's along the cost.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Thanks John.
    Let's go with the following:

Gold: Sub 1:25 (Hopeful/confident I can achieve this)
    Silver: Sub 1:26:20 (I ran this is training for Seville)
    Bronze: Sub 1:30 (original 2014 goal)

This is TRR's take on it: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27529179

I've ran it once. Nice scenic course. I remember it as being a little hilly in parts. Definitely not a PB course in my opinion. I would have expected to run 2 minutes quicker than I actually did. Wind can be also an issue as it's along the cost.

Looks like mile 7 & 8 are the ones to watch out for!
    I'd say you'll be in with a serious chance of Gold if the conditions are compliant.

Looks like mile 7 & 8 are the ones to watch out for!
    I'd say you'll be in with a serious chance of Gold if the conditions are compliant.

Let's hope so :)
    I'll play it by ear. If anything goes wrong I'll be blaming the weather because I have no excuses fitness wise!

Friday 21st March - 4m Recovery (with 6 x 100m strides)
    4m @ 9:03p/m average (116bpm)
    (Strides: 19:06, 20:32, 20:35, 18:73, 17:67, 17:53)

A beautiful day outside, so took this very easily to spend as long out there as I could. Threw some strides in at the end to get the legs turning over, but wasn't making maximum effort. I'll keep that for tomorrow ;)

Mile 1 - 9:15
    Mile 2 - 9:00
    Mile 3 - 8:52
    Mile 4 - 9:08

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

good luck tomorrow.

I've set aside a few hours over the weekend to read the race report. Just trying to decide what beer to accompany the report reading.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Ferris B wrote: »
    good luck tomorrow.

I've set aside a few hours over the weekend to read the race report. Just trying to decide what beer to accompany the report reading.:)

+1.......Ferris, are you buying???:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ferris B wrote: »
    good luck tomorrow.

I've only myself to blame for your expectations :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck tomorrow in the green white and gold.

ger664 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow in the green white and gold.

I didn't take the chance with it. I've got my Seville mankini with me to go over my compression top :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck with the run tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Have a great race, you're in fantastic shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Good luck this morn. If you hit your target the mods might even allow you change the title of your log!!

• Advertisement

Think I just missed out on the gold. 1:25:38 by my watch. Although the official time will definitely be quicker, I doubt if there's 39 seconds to come off it. Despite not getting below the 1:25 mark, I'm very happy with my race. I ran exactly as I wanted to and knocked almost a minute off my time from January. TRR was right about this course though. It's probably not the place to go for a PB. It's constantly up and down hills (big & small) and as the majority of it is along the coast, the wind is always an issue (even though it wasn't bad today). I think the only flat section is the last 500m along the promenade. I'll do up a report in the next few days when I get my official time which still isn't in yet.

Thanks for all the support :)

Here is the Garmin data for anyone who's interested: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/465485691

p.s. Ignore the heart rate. The strap slipped in the first 100 metres and I never bothered to try and fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Nice run considering the hilly nature of the course. Well done.

Official time is in: 1:25:25.
    I'll do up a report in the next couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

How was the Kinnegar?

tang1 wrote: »
    How was the Kinnegar?

I wasn't the biggest fan after the first one tbh as it seemed quite strong and left a bit of an aftertaste, but after another couple it started to grow on me. None of it went to waste anyway :-).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I wasn't the biggest fan after the first one tbh as it seemed quite strong and left a bit of an aftertaste, but after another couple it started to grow on me. None of it went to waste anyway :-).

I know what you mean about the aftertaste, i suppose its an aquired taste.

Larne Half-Marathon
    13.22 miles @ 6:29 avg (1:25:25)

Pre-race

I drove up to the North on Friday evening to save myself a 2-3 hour journey on the morning of the race, which definitely wouldn't have been ideal with 13.1 miles to run immediately afterwards. Found a cheap B&B in Belfast for the night, which was apparently renowned for their famous fried breakfast judging by the posters they have on the wall in reception. They weren't too impressed when I told them I didn't want one before I left. The landlady seemed to take it as a personal insult! After a banana, some scrambled egg and a mug of coffee, I was on my way at around 8:30am. When I arrived in Larne 45 minutes later, I was greeted by a cool, sunny morning which seemed perfect for running. I couldn't wait to get going after I picked my number up from the Leisure Centre just after half nine.

The Start

I made my way down to the starting area around 15-20 minutes before the race was due off at 11am. Did a few stretches beforehand, along with anything else I could to keep myself warm. Even though the sun was shining, it was quite chilly, something I knew I wouldn't have to worry about once we got under way. The start was a bit messy. You run back in the direction you originally come from, meaning all the latecomers ended up at the front and I was further back than I wanted to be, behind lots of joggers & fun runners. I had planned to jump off with the 1:30 pacer and then move on after half a mile or so, but I was 200m back from him by the time I got over the start line!

The Race

When they eventually let us go, I spent the first 600m running as if I was being chased by a crocodile, zig-zagging around the slower runners until eventually I got where I wanted to be. I must have lost more weight than I realised recently, as my heart monitor slipped down my chest and was resting around my waist within the first 100m. I couldn't have been bothered trying to adjust it under my compression top at that stage so I just left it alone. I was on target before too long and passed the 1:30 pacer as planned after less than half a mile.

Miles 1-5
    (6:24, 6:30, 6:25, 6:35, 6:36)

You take a left turn almost immediately after the start and come upon a little hill. Then you descend sharply on the other side and head towards the centre of the town. Then there's another drag, another drop, another drag, another drop and so on. I started to wonder were there any flat sections on this course. I heard some guys either side of me making similar comments to each other. After about three miles you hit the coast road where I expected it to be level out, but the little ups and downs continued along with the addition of a light breeze which was hurting/helping depending on which way we were turning. Some bloke called Nigel (whom everyone in Larne seemed to know) was now running in my slipstream. He obviously had similar targets to mine, because every time we passed any spectators there was a cry of "Come on Nigel, you're doing great!". The views along here and on the way back were exceptional with the sheer rocky cliffs on one side and the wide open sea on the other. A lovely way to spend a Saturday morning.

Miles 6-10
    (6:34, 6:45, 7:04, 5:59, 6:29)

I knew from studying the profile beforehand that miles 7 & 8 were the one's that were most likely to cost me some time. I was hoping to stay on target (sub 6:30min/miles) until then, with the intention of gradually making back any ground I lost in the remaining miles. I managed to hold a pretty steady pace up to that point, but the extremely steep hill here cost me almost a minute. Although I slowed dramatically to almost 7:00min/mile (slower than that in mile 8), I was passing other runners, showing how much of a toll the climb was taking on the field. In fact, after mile 6 I don't remember being overtaken by anybody for the rest of the race :eek:. When you finally reach the peak at the end of mile 8, you take a right turn and immediately make the descent straight back down. I knew I needed to make up some time here, so I let the hill take me as fast as I could possibly move at that point. My Garmin told me I was running at 5:30min/mile pace here, but even at that speed overtaking some more runners in the process, I just let it happen as the hill was doing the work and I wasn't taking that much out of myself. I went sub 6:00 for the mile, but knew there was still serious work to do if I was to achieve the sub 1:25. At this stage in the race itself I felt like I was in no mans land. I had put a big gap between myself and the runners I had passed, but the only people in front of me seemed to be sub 1:20 runners who were about half a mile in the distance, so I ran the majority of the last few miles on my own. I backed the quick mile up with a 6:29 in Mile 10, despite a considerable drag in the second half and started to get a little confident. I should have known better!

Mile 11 - Finish
    (6:34, 6:23, 6:13, 1:06)

I had got it into my head that I would be running downhill all the way to the line from here on in and thought it would be relatively easy to hold the required pace. However this was most definitely not the case, and after a friendly start to mile 11 we were climbing again, a drag that continued until the final half mile. I noticed my pace was slowing despite the effort feeling the same, and I couldn't get myself to move any quicker. I was down to 6:50min/mile pace now. Although the second half of that mile was really tough, I did manage to claw back a few seconds an went through the marker in 6:34. I threw everything I had left at the last couple of miles. I knew sub 1:25 was going to be extremely difficult now and even though I was now hovering around the sub 6:20 mark, I wasn't sure if that was quick enough. Trying to work out minutes per mile, expected finish times etc. when you're moving at that speed having already completed 11+ miles is not easy. I decided that when mile 12 was over, I'd glance at the watch and see how long I had left to complete the race. Going past the 12 pole, the watch read 1:19:xx. I had less than six minutes to run the final 1.1 miles. Unlikely! Still, I put everything I had into the final stretch. An elderly spectator informed me I'd only half a mile to go and I was 'looking great'. I only wish I felt like that as I was ready to drop. Then I did! The course turns left and plummets about 60ft from the coast road down onto the promenade. I was moving so quick going down this hill that I felt in danger. It was like driving a car with no brakes. One false step and I would somersault head over heels and probably end up in the sea. But I managed to stay upright and even caught another runner in the last 400m. He didn't put up much of a fight as I passed him. Maybe the fact that I was 'looking great' discouraged him from getting into a battle with me? I didn't look at my watch again until I got over the line, but I knew from the clock (1:25:40) that I hadn't got my Gold Medal time. I cant complain though. I ran the race as well as I could and 1:25:25 was as good as I was today.

Review

I thought this was a very well organised race with a scenic route and relatively cheap for a half-marathon at £22. Water stations were well manned every three miles or so and there was decent support where it was possible along the course. I haven't got anything bad to say about the race itself, but it's probably not one for time chasers as those hills really do stop you in your tracks. TRR said he went two minutes slower than expected when he ran here and runners of lesser ability would be expected to lose even more time than that. The only reason I ran a PB is because I had an extremely soft target. I'm sure I can do better on a flatter course. All in all an enjoyable experience and a race I would recommend to anybody.

Conclusion/Verdict

Although I missed out on the Gold Medal time, I'm delighted with how I ran the race. There was only a five second difference between my first and second halves which tells me my pacing was spot on. I'm sure I'll get the sub 1:25 on a flatter course and I'm looking forward to my next race in Clonakilty on Easter Monday. I love running! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done yaboya - great performance and nice report - sounds like a tough course too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nice going yaboya1... You're having a great year of it.. Very well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great running on what sounds like a testing course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

great stuff Yaboya - you're really reaping the rewards of your hard work, well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Solid performance well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Great running. I love the profile of that hill on the Garmin link. Nice report as well, you can tell you were enjoying it.

Good running and report once again. The results from the combination of your excellent training effort and your passion for the sport are great to see.

BTW I presume that you heard that St Anne's parkrun had to be cancelled on the 5th due to other events going on in the park. You will have to go for Sub 18 in Malahide or wait til the 12th!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Good running and report once again. The results from the combination of your excellent training effort and your passion for the sport are great to see.

BTW I presume that you heard that St Anne's parkrun had to be cancelled on the 5th due to other events going on in the park. You will have to go for Sub 18 in Malahide or wait til the 12th!

Very nice of you to say so. Thanks :)

Yeah, I did see that about St Anne's, but since I got my 2014 goal out of the way in Marlay earlier in the month I'm not that fussed now. If I do end up running, I might go down to Naas as that would be handier for me. I don't think I can make the 12th. Plenty of time for a sub 18 attempt though :D

• Advertisement

Very nice of you to say so. Thanks :)

Yeah, I did see that about St Anne's, but since I got my 2014 goal out of the way in Marlay earlier in the month I'm not that fussed now. If I do end up running, I might go down to Naas as that would be handier for me. I don't think I can make the 12th. Plenty of time for a sub 18 attempt though :D

Cool. Don't forget to squeeze in another volunteer day @ stannesparkrun while you are contemplating your assault at sub 18 ;)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Cool. Don't forget to squeeze in another volunteer day @ stannesparkrun while you are contemplating your assault at sub 18 ;)

If I'm available, Ill be there ;)

Tuesday 25th March - 60 minutes Easy
    6.07m @ 9:53p/m average (155bpm avg???) :confused:

This wasn't easy! I must have really put it all in on Saturday, as I've been absolutely shattered since the race. Tonight was the first time I've felt up to going out for a few recovery miles. The muscles were still stiff though, and I had to stop after three miles to stretch the hamstrings. After that I felt fine and could have stayed out longer, but I decided to call it a night and get a longer run in tomorrow instead. I had tightened the strap on the HRM before I went out, hoping it could be relied upon tonight after it slipped the other day. However it gave me incorrect readings again as there's no way my average was 155bpm. I'm starting to think I'll probably be following a Daniels plan for Berlin, as I can't train by HR if the HR readings are consistently wrong.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:26
    Mile 2 - 9:54
    Mile 3 - 10:02
    Mile 4 - 10:12
    Mile 5 - 9:55
    Mile 6 - 9:48
    0.07 - 0:45

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Would you consider repeating your plan for Seville?

Seemed to work...

Would you consider repeating your plan for Seville?

Seemed to work...

Yeah, nothing wrong with P&D. Just think trying something new will aid my improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

This wasn't easy! I must have really put it all in on Saturday, as I've been absolutely shattered since the race. Tonight was the first time I've felt up to going out for a few recovery miles. The muscles were still stiff though, and I had to stop after three miles to stretch the hamstrings. After that I felt fine and could have stayed out longer, but I decided to call it a night and get a longer run in tomorrow instead. I had tightened the strap on the HRM before I went out, hoping it could be relied upon tonight after it slipped the other day. However it gave me incorrect readings again as there's no way my average was 155bpm. I'm starting to think I'll probably be following a Daniels plan for Berlin, as I can't train by HR if the HR readings are consistently wrong.
    probably stating the obvious here... but have you tried a new battery?

Ososlo wrote: »
    probably stating the obvious here... but have you tried a new battery?

No, but I don't think it's anything to do with that, as I only started using it after Seville (late February). I probably just need to tighten it more than I did.

No, but I don't think it's anything to do with that, as I only started using it after Seville (late February). I probably just need to tighten it more than I did.

You did say that you felt shattered still though at the start of this run so maybe you're just still tired from the race? My heart rate would take a good few days to go back to normal after a race.
    I presume you've started spitting on the strap like I suggested before:P

Ososlo wrote: »
    You did say that you felt shattered still though at the start of this run so maybe you're just still tired from the race? My heart rate would take a good few days to go back to normal after a race.
    I presume you've started spitting on the strap like I suggested before:P

Yeah, I've been spitting or dabbing a bit of water on it before I go out ;).
    It normally takes about two miles to settle down, but tonight it never dropped below 150bpm for the whole run. The effort felt nothing like that though. My fastest mile was 9:26!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yep just sounds like dodgy HRM, maybe it's just not compatible with you :P. I had the same issues, changing battery never helped btw...

Regarding a new plan to follow: Don't want to put any pressure on us but myself, AMK and Gavlor have been following this plan since Xmas.
    By the end of April you should know how we got on and if it worked for us. So far though all three of us are pretty happy with our training though.

Regarding a new plan to follow: Don't want to put any pressure on us but myself, AMK and Gavlor have been following this plan since Xmas.
    By the end of April you should know how we got on and if it worked for us. So far though all three of us are pretty happy with our training though.

Cheers John. I'll be watching all your results with interest (not that I wouldn't be doing that anyway).

Anyway, I think all this HRM stuff is my own fault. I just twigged something this morning so I'm going to go out and do the HR Max test again and see if I'm right. I don't want to admit what it was as I'll make myself look very silly!

Wednesday 26th March - 120 minutes Easy
    14m @ 8:39p/m average (129bpm avg) :)

So, it tuns out there was nothing wrong with my perfectly good HRM which is working fine and producing exceptionally accurate readings. It was my brain that wasn't working! (but that's a story for another day :eek:). I really enjoyed this run. Even managed to get in a big loop of the Phoenix Park, which is rare for me but I do love to train in there. My plan was to keep the HR around the 130bpm mark for the two hours, which I managed quite well and I added a minute on at the end to get the fourteenth mile in. I'm delighted with the pace, as I would have expected to be moving a lot slower at that heart rate. I'll probably do the HR Max test again on Friday morning when my legs have freshened back up a bit.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:05
    Mile 2 - 8:46
    Mile 3 - 8:50
    Mile 4 - 8:36
    Mile 5 - 8:48
    Mile 6 - 8:53
    Mile 7 - 8:28
    Mile 8 - 8:29
    Mile 9 - 8:29
    Mile 10 - 8:38
    Mile 11 - 8:18
    Mile 12 - 8:32
    Mile 13 - 8:36
    Mile 14 - 8:37

So, it tuns out there was nothing wrong with my perfectly good HRM which is working fine and producing exceptionally accurate readings. It was my brain that wasn't working! (but that's a story for another day :eek:).

Go on, ya have to tell us what happened!
    :confused::pac:

+1!

• Advertisement

Two things.

1 - I've been wetting the wrong part of the strap. I didn't read the instructions properly and assumed the electrodes were the two points behind where you attach the clip.

2 - I've been stretching it over my head to put it on every time (which means it obviously won't be as tight as it should be) instead of putting it on like a belt. Because there's no locking device I didn't realise that it worked that way.

I only noticed both of these things after re-reading the instructions last night and today the results seem very accurate. I feel very stupid :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Two things.

1 - I've been wetting the wrong part of the strap. I didn't read the instructions properly and assumed the electrodes were the two points behind where you attach the clip.

2 - I've been stretching it over my head to put it on every time (which means it obviously won't be as tight as it should be) instead of putting it on like a belt. Because there's no locking device I didn't realise that it worked that way.

I only noticed both of these things after re-reading the instructions last night and today the results seem very accurate. I feel very stupid :pac::pac:

Yea, I made the same mistake in that I assumed the electrodes were directly behind the transmitter. Felt like a bit of an eejit when I figured it out too.

....you're not alone.;)

No luck for me in the New York ballot.
    Looks like it's Dublin this year. I'm due a second go here anyway :pac:

Are you gonna race both Berlin and Dublin?
    Think that's what I'll be doing...

Are you gonna race both Berlin and Dublin?
    Think that's what I'll be doing...

Yes. That's the plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement