Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Saturday 1st February (Day 62/84) - 4m Recovery
    4 miles @ 9:22p/m average

A slow run on a drizzly morning. Legs feel a little better than earlier in the week.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:51
    Mile 2 - 9:05
    Mile 3 - 9:09
    Mile 4 - 9:25

Sunday 2nd February (Day 63/84) - 20m (Long Run)
    20 miles @ 8:44p/m average

I was originally going to do this run in the very early morning, but due to a change in my working hours it ended up being late in the evening. Didn't make much of a difference as it was beautiful outside all day today. The only thing I missed was the daylight. Legs don't feel sore at all now. Kind of looking forward to my next VO2 Max session on Tuesday! :eek:

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:52
    Mile 2 - 8:55
    Mile 3 - 8:48
    Mile 4 - 8:58
    Mile 5 - 8:53
    Mile 6 - 8:54
    Mile 7 - 8:45
    Mile 8 - 8:36
    Mile 9 - 8:44
    Mile 10 - 8:48
    Mile 11 - 8:49
    Mile 12 - 8:43
    Mile 13 - 8:48
    Mile 14 - 8:32
    Mile 15 - 8:37
    Mile 16 - 8:34
    Mile 17 - 8:39
    Mile 18 - 8:40
    Mile 19 - 8:38
    Mile 20 - 8:37

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's very consistent splits. Nice work.

Next week the plan prescribes a 9-11m race on the Saturday. I can't see anything of that distance taking place, but there is a 10k in Enniscorthy on Sunday 9th. I ran this last year and enjoyed it, and I'd much rather run a real race than just clock myself for the distance again.
    Would that be a suitable substitute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Next week the plan prescribes a 9-11m race on the Saturday. I can't see anything of that distance taking place, but there is a 10k in Enniscorthy on Sunday 9th. I ran this last year and enjoyed it, and I'd much rather run a real race than just clock myself for the distance again.
    Would that be a suitable substitute?

I think you are looking at the plan wrongly (i suspected as much when you did your HM time trial a few weeks ago). The P&D book I have says a 8-10k race (9-11m total). The 9-11m includes warm up and cool down.
    So yes the enniscorthy 10k is perfect.

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think you are looking at the plan wrongly (i suspected as much when you did your HM time trial a few weeks ago). The P&D book I have says a 8-10k race (9-11m total). The 9-11m includes warm up and cool down.
    So yes the enniscorthy 10k is perfect.

I've just double checked the book and you are absolutely correct. I obviously just scribbled down the total mileage when I was writing out the plan to stick on my wall!
    No harm done though. The HM run gave me a good confidence boost and I'm looking forward to the 10k now knowing that I'm not shirking on the miles :)

• Advertisement

That's very consistent splits. Nice work.

Thanks. You're going very well yourself. Well on target for the main thing by the looks of it :)

No harm done though. The HM run gave me a good confidence boost and I'm looking forward to the 10k now knowing that I'm not shirking on the miles :)

Absolutely!! Even though it wasn't in the plan that HM time trial was super.

You should be well able for sub 39 in Enniscorthy btw. My HM PB is 1:26:32 and 10k is 38:29. I think your HM would have been a fair bit quicker if you were in a race...

Sub 39 is the plan. We'll see how it goes....

Monday 3rd February (Day 64/84) - Rest/Cross Training

Spent more than 90 minutes doing my stretching, foam rolling and core work this morning. That should keep the body flexible & strong ahead of the challenges later in the week.

Tuesday 4th Febuary (Day 65/84) - 8m (with 5 x 600m @ VO2Max)

3m warm-up

5 x 600m splits (with 1:30min recovery)

1 - 1:58
    2 - 2:00
    3 - 2:00
    4 - 2:04
    5 - 1:57

2m cool down

The times for this session are almost identical to same one I did previously a few weeks ago. However, this was far more comfortable. That's not to say it was easy (it most certainly wasn't!), but I had some reserves in the tank today for the last couple of intervals whereas I was running on empty the last time. Held the pace pretty well each time but slowed prematurely on the second last one, otherwise they'd have all been pretty symmetrical. I won't complain though. Nice easy week now ahead of my first race of 2014 on Sunday :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 5th February (Day 66/84) - 6m Recovery
    6 miles @ 9:17p/m average

Went out for this after I got home today. Got battered and soaked to the skin by the weather on my way to work this morning. I only hope I don't end up with some unwelcome dose as a result.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:09
    Mile 2 - 9:20
    Mile 3 - 9:20
    Mile 4 - 9:28
    Mile 5 - 9:07
    Mile 6 - 9:19

Thursday 6th February (Day 67/84) - Rest/Cross Training

No running today. Did a little bit of foam rolling this morning to loosen up any tight muscles.

Going to have to rejig the plan a bit for the next week or so. This is what's prescribed:

Friday 7th - 4m Recovery (with 6 x 100m strides)
    Saturday 8th - 8-10k Tune up Race (9-11m total)
    Sunday 9th - 16m Long Run
    Monday 10th - Rest/Cross Training
    Tuesday 11th - 7m (GA) with 8 x 100m strides
    Wednesday 12th - 8m (with 3 x 1600m @ V02 Max)
    Thursday 13th - Rest/Cross Training
    Friday 14th - 5m Recovery (with 6 x 100m strides)
    Saturday 15th - Rest/Cross Training
    Sunday 16th - 12m Med/Long Run

Because the tune-up race is on the Sunday and I've been given an extra rest day next week, I'm going to push everything from Saturday back a day so it looks like this:

Friday 7th - 4m Recovery (with 6 x 100m strides)
    Saturday 8th - Rest/Cross Training
    Sunday 9th - 8-10k Tune up Race (9-11m total)
    Monday 10th - 16m Long Run
    Tuesday 11th - Rest/Cross Training
    Wednesday 12th - 7m (GA) with 8 x 100m strides
    Thursday 13th - 8m (with 3 x 1600m @ V02 Max)
    Friday 14th - Rest/Cross Training
    Saturday 15th - 5m Recovery (with 6 x 100m strides)
    Sunday 16th - 12m Med/Long Run

I don't think this will negatively affect my preparation?

Looks fine above^^^
    Personally I would just do the 5m recovery run the day after the 3 x1mile VO2 max session (Friday 14th).
    I never really understood why P&D has recovery runs the day after a rest day, they are much more useful the day after a session :confused:

So take the rest day on the Saturday instead?

So take the rest day on the Saturday instead?

In that case; yes. You could also do the 12 on saturday and rest on Sunday if it suited you better....

Ok thanks. No, the Sunday definitely suits me better for the long run that weekend.

Friday 7th February (Day 68/84) - 4m Recovery (with 6 x 100m strides)
    4 miles @ 9:18p/m average. Strides (16:47, 20:57, 16:35, 17:40, 18:36, 18:18)

Nice relaxing run to loosen up the legs ahead of Sunday's race. Great day for it too, which makes a change. Not sure why the second stride is much slower than the rest, as they all felt pretty much the same?

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:33
    Mile 2 - 8:56
    Mile 3 - 9:09
    Mile 4 - 9:33

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good luck, you'll definitely give it socks

Saturday 8th February (Day 69/84) - Rest/Cross Training

An extra rest day because of the rescheduling. Don't think I'd have been up for a race today. Felt a bit light headed and sluggish. Probably the result of the soaking I got earlier in the week. Did some light stretching before I went to bed.

Sunday 9th February (Day 70/84) - 8-10k Tune up Race (9-11m total)
    10k @ 3:55p/km average (39:07)

Got down to Enniscorthy around 10:30, so had 90 minutes to kill before the race. Did some more light stretching before I took a roundabout route to the start for a 3 mile warm up. It was pretty cold despite the pleasant looking sky, but I knew I wouldn't feel that once we got under way. Delighted with my tactics today. I had previous knowledge of the course from last year, so I knew not to panic early as the first 4k are almost all uphill. Once I could hold the splits around 4min/km, I thought I could make up the difference in the second half. Almost everything went exactly to plan apart from the fact that the wind was in our face for the final downhill stretch, which meant I didn't get back as much time as I might have envisaged. Wasn't sure when to stop the Garmin as there were no mats at the finish line, so I played it safe and kept it going for a few seconds afterwards. It showed 39:15 when I eventually hit the button, so I knew I was close to the planned sub 39. An agonising few hours followed while I waited on the official result. Unfortunately, when they finally came in I realised I didn't quite manage the sub 39 (39:07), but I'm still very happy nonetheless :).

Met Krusty (34:15) after the race for the first time in person. As helpful in real life as he is on boards, he gave me some sound advice for my race strategy in Seville. He didn't join me for a post-race coffee as he claimed he needed to run a few more miles today before he could justify any treats!

Onto my 16 mile run in the morning, then it's tapering time. Bring on the madness!

Splits:

Km 1 - 4:07
    Km 2 - 3:57
    Km 3 - 3:57
    Km 4 - 4:06
    Km 5 - 3:49
    Km 6 - 4:01
    Km 7 - 3:59
    Km 8 - 3:54
    Km 9 - 3:57
    Km 10 - 3:25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Savage time but especially that last km... Where did that come out of??

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »

It's downhill and I could see the finish!

I was also flying: http://www.racepix.com/Enniscorthy-10k/racephotos/1073/photo/165/

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great photo but one question: do you own any other shirts??!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good to meet ya, yaboya1! Congrats on the cracking time! All shaping up very nicely for Seville. Shame those thieving feckers stole those vital seconds from you. :D

Great photo but one question: do you own any other shirts??!

Haha. That's my racing shirt. I never wear it in training.
    Maybe I'll update my running wardrobe for Dublin in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Well done on the time today. At least your race went better then mine yesterday. Now I know what you look like I can stalk you in Sevilie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

How would you explain your rapid improvements since Chicago?

Is it the training plan you're following? Or did you always have this in you but were getting injured due to training too fast?

How would you explain your rapid improvements since Chicago?

Is it the training plan you're following? Or did you always have this in you but were getting injured due to training too fast?

I suppose a bit of both.

I basically winged my first two marathons, just running as many miles as I could as quickly as possible. I intended to follow a plan for Chicago but injured myself in the first week by stepping up the mileage too quickly and running too fast, so that was immediately shelved.

Lack of pacing knowledge in all my training was probably a big stumbling block. I've never had an issue with putting in the miles, but I was running every training session as fast as I possibly could. This applied whether it was two miles or twenty miles, which in turn led to little niggles or injuries which prevented me running at all. The fact that I pb'd in Chicago having had 7 weeks where I could barely walk (never mind run) copped me on that if I followed a proper plan without getting injured I'd be bound to improve. It was just a matter of how much. I was also the slowest runner of the seven boardsies that made up the team in October, so there was a lot of people I could learn from there. Maybe they didn't know it at the time, but every one of those lads gave me at least a little bit of advice that I took on board. And here we are :-)

Roll on Seville....

Monday 10th February (Day 71/84) - 16m (Long Run)
    16 miles @ 8:35p/m average

Needed to get this in early this morning, but ended up going out much sooner than I had originally planned as I just couldn't sleep. Dublin is a very quiet place at 4.30am on a Monday. I wasn't expecting this to be easy, considering I did the 10k race yesterday and still had a 20 miler in my legs from last weekend. I was wrong. The hardest thing about it was the freezing cold which almost numbed both my hands even though I was wearing gloves. Other than that, I sailed through it on an otherwise perfect morning for running.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:41
    Mile 2 - 8:38
    Mile 3 - 8:33
    Mile 4 - 8:48
    Mile 5 - 8:30
    Mile 6 - 8:39
    Mile 7 - 8:31
    Mile 8 - 8:59
    Mile 9 - 8:29
    Mile 10 - 8:35
    Mile 11 - 8:34
    Mile 12 - 8:37
    Mile 13 - 8:38
    Mile 14 - 8:30
    Mile 15 - 8:24
    Mile 16 - 8:19

• Advertisement

Tuesday 11th February (Day 72/84) - Rest/Cross Training

Had the most amazing sleep last night, which made up for my ridiculously early start on Monday. Because of this, I didn't leave myself enough time to get my core work done after I got up. I'll fit it in tomorrow at some stage. Got my usual cycle of stretching and foam-rolling in, leaving me feeling incredibly fresh and totally pain free. I'm not sore at all, despite the mileage of the last couple of days. Almost feel guilty not running today :pac:

Advertisement