Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Slow Journey to Faster Times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Tuesday 18th February (Day 79/84) - 6m Recovery
    6 miles @ 9:38p/m average

Took this very easily. Nice morning to be out there for a change.

Splits:

Mile 1 - 9:50
    Mile 2 - 9:45
    Mile 3 - 9:38
    Mile 4 - 9:34
    Mile 5 - 9:45
    Mile 6 - 9:21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

How are you feeling about Sunday??

Gavlor wrote: »
    How are you feeling about Sunday??

I'm feeling very, very good. I could almost feel myself filling up with energy this morning. I stuck my head under a towel over a basin of water and Olbas Oil last night, which seems to have cured the little snivel I mentioned yesterday.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'm feeling very, very good. I could almost feel myself filling up with energy this morning. I stuck my head under a towel over a basin of water and Olbas Oil last night, which seems to have cured the little snivel I mentioned yesterday.

Is there online tracking/race number??

I have a feeling you'll go aggressive!!

I'm not sure to be honest. I got an email from them the other day, but it's all in Spanish, so it's hard to decipher everything as it's not a language I speak.

I'll stick my bib number on here when I collect it on Saturday so anyone can follow me if there is tracking available. At the moment all I'm aware of is where the expo is taking place, and where and what time the race starts :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'll stick my bib number on here when I collect it on Saturday so anyone can follow me if there is tracking available. At the moment all I'm aware of is where the expo is taking place, and where and what time the race starts :pac:

What? No pub sorted yet?!?!?:eek:

belcarra wrote: »

All in good time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

That will be sorted. Have a few lined up already :)

Wednesday 19th February (Day 80/84) - 7m (with 2m @ MP)
    7 miles @ 7:26p/m average

Another lovely morning for it again out there today. I'll take something like that on Sunday. Plan was to gradually warm up for the first four miles, do the two MP miles after that and then give myself the last mile to cool down. MP should be around 7min/mile, so I aimed to keep them just below that. Fairly happy with the result. Pretty comfortable all the way :)

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:16
    Mile 2 - 7:29
    Mile 3 - 7:35
    Mile 4 - 7:26
    Mile 5 - 6:58
    Mile 6 - 6:57
    Mile 7 - 7:21

This page appears to provide coverage and tracking of the race on Sunday:

http://www.maratondesevilla.es/directo-maraton/#

My bib number is: 3450

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm interested in how you arrange a foreign trip for a marathon as I've never travelled for one before.

When do you fly out?
    Checking in a bag or just carry on?
    bring gels etc or get them over there?
    Bring spare pair of runners or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'll get in first and say best of Luck fro Saturday yaboya!!!

Will be Tracking you on Sunday...

I'm interested in how you arrange a foreign trip for a marathon as I've never travelled for one before.

When do you fly out?
    Checking in a bag or just carry on?
    bring gels etc or get them over there?
    Bring spare pair of runners or not?

This will be my third foreign marathon and I've followed pretty much the same routine.

1. I've flown out on the Friday for all of them so far. Enough time to get settled in etc., but not too long to get bored as you can't do much pre-race anyway.

2. I would carry on for any European races as it's quicker, cheaper and I'm normally not hanging around long enough that I'd need a bigger bag. I was in Chicago for longer though and the check-in bag is part of the deal.

3. I bring gels with me just in case they don't have the one's I want at the expo. They normally do though, so it's probably unnecessary.

4. I've never brought spare runners. Should I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Any issues with getting Gels through security with the liquids limit? Did you pack them away or put them into the clear bags?

Any issues with getting Gels through security with the liquids limit? Did you pack them away or put them into the clear bags?

I can't remember having any problems, although Berlin 2011 was the last time I did this as I had them in my checked bag going to Chicago. Suppose I'll find out on Friday!

I'll have to check, but are gels larger than 100ml? (Just checked, they all seem to be no bigger than 60ml, so no problems going through security although I do think they need to be in those clear plastic bags)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah as Yaboya says, just put them in clear plastic bags at securitty and no problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Good luck in Sevilla man. Your goal is similar to mine [not that I'm doing any marathons for another 6 months] so I'll keep an eye on your progress. I also saw you post in the mad hatter world that is the Horse Racing forum. Not many from here who post there.

Just imagine you're Hurricane Fly swinging around that last bend with only the Hill to come. But you won't have a hill in the last 200mts. At least I hope you don't.

Itziger wrote: »
    Good luck in Sevilla man. Your goal is similar to mine [not that I'm doing any marathons for another 6 months] so I'll keep an eye on your progress. I also saw you post in the mad hatter world that is the Horse Racing forum. Not many from here who post there.

Just imagine you're Hurricane Fly swinging around that last bend with only the Hill to come. But you won't have a hill in the last 200mts. At least I hope you don't.

Yeah, I love my racing. I'll pretend it's at Leopardstown as the hill is nowhere as severe and he's invincible there :D

*FWIW I think Our Conor might reverse the form with him in 3 weeks. Looks between the two of them to me.

Yeah, I love my racing. I'll pretend it's at Leopardstown as the hill is nowhere as severe and he's invincible there :D

*FWIW I think Our Conor might reverse the form with him in 3 weeks. Looks between the two of them to me.

If HF doesn't win it, I'd like to see OC do it. That said, it looks like some of our lads will be running juiced if the last few days news is anything to go by. Wouldn't mind a shot of something myself at km 34!

Sevilla is a super town. Don't know if you know it or if you're staying on after the race but you can't go wrong with it anyway.

3:05 is the aim right? That was my aim in the last but I came home in 3:09 on the day. Hoping for 3:04 or 05 this year and maybe have a crack off sub3 next when I'll be turning the half century!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

3:05 is the aim right? That was my aim in the last but I came home in 3:09 on the day. Hoping for 3:04 or 05 this year and maybe have a crack off sub3 next when I'll be turning the half century!

Where are you running in Autumn Itzy?
    Uno mas por Valencia??

• Advertisement

If HF doesn't win it, I'd like to see OC do it. That said, it looks like some of our lads will be running juiced if the last few days news is anything to go by. Wouldn't mind a shot of something myself at km 34!

Sevilla is a super town. Don't know if you know it or if you're staying on after the race but you can't go wrong with it anyway.

Dessie is some man for having them 100% on the day. He's had an almost identical campaign to Hardy Eustace in 2005. I haven't had a bet yet but it will be him I'm backing. Love to see The Fly do it though. Should be a fantastic race.

Yeah, sub 3:05 is the target. Staying until Monday so will have a couple of days to explore.

Uno mas por Valencia??

Was originally looking at Valencia myself. I remember you speaking highly of it, but now that I'm in for Berlin & Dublin I think I'll give it a miss.

Uno mas por Valencia??

I'm looking at Cologne in September and then Valencia or Pisa could be a fall back/follow up. That said Pisa is down for DEC 21st, not sure the missus and the kids would be too impressed with me being away so close to Christmas.

Good luck in Barcelona Belcarra. Be careful with the target lad, you'll be up around 3.59.59 soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck at the weekend. I will be tracking your progress with interest.....all the hard work is done now so go out and enjoy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Spent the last couple of days reading this log. What amazing progress you've made. Best of luck for Seville at the weekend, hope you hit your target!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good luck at the weekend your training has been great. The sky's the limit for yourself over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Best of luck this weekend yaboya! I was initially going to do Seville - but the logistics of it seemed to be a lot more hassle than Manchester. Will be reading your race report with interest after the great training block you've put down.

Best of luck at the weekend! Huge improvements already made so anything sub 3.10 will be a great result. Sub 3.05 will be fantastic!

Was talking to a 2.54 runner on Tuesday, he spent the first 19 miles of the race with the sub3 pacers and had plenty left in the tank to kick on for the last few miles. Take it nice and easy at the start and who knows what result will come!!

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Good luck at the weekend. I will be tracking your progress with interest.....all the hard work is done now so go out and enjoy:)
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Spent the last couple of days reading this log. What amazing progress you've made. Best of luck for Seville at the weekend, hope you hit your target!
    Good luck at the weekend your training has been great. The sky's the limit for yourself over the next few years.
    Beef wrote: »
    Best of luck this weekend yaboya! I was initially going to do Seville - but the logistics of it seemed to be a lot more hassle than Manchester. Will be reading your race report with interest after the great training block you've put down.
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Best of luck at the weekend! Huge improvements already made so anything sub 3.10 will be a great result. Sub 3.05 will be fantastic!

Was talking to a 2.54 runner on Tuesday, he spent the first 19 miles of the race with the sub3 pacers and had plenty left in the tank to kick on for the last few miles. Take it nice and easy at the start and who knows what result will come!!

Wow! I can't believe the support on here. Thank you very much. I hope I can do you all justice. Although I'm not a member of a running club, I'm proud to be a part of this community/club which offers so much fantastic support and advice. Thanks again :).

• Advertisement

Thursday 20th February (Day 81/84) - 5m Recovery (with 6 x 100m strides)
    5 miles @ 9:01p/m average. Strides (18:03, 17:89, 18:04, 19:53, 18:53, 19:14)

My last miles on Irish soil for a little while! Decided to get this out of the way this morning, because I'll be travelling all day tomorrow as I mentioned last week. Feel good after that. Can't wait for Sunday now!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 8:49
    Mile 2 - 8:42
    Mile 3 - 9:16
    Mile 4 - 9:18
    Mile 5 - 9:00

One minor problem in relation to Sunday is that I've been put in the 3:30-3:45 starting pen due to my time from Chicago. I'll try to get moved up or sneak into the 3:00-3:15 on the day but I guess if I don't/can't, although it's not ideal it will prevent me going out too fast early :p.

Advertisement