Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

We can add Israel to the mix now. Not too bad at all :)

20 songs picked, 17 to go. Overall though, the overall standard so far isn't that high. We haven't even heard it in it's national final yet, but I still think Silent Storm is the winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Norway are favourites to win already without having their song picked yet, after going through them I think a song called sole survivor by Elizabeth Carew is very catchy, my favourite so far http://youtu.be/okksJ2kXU3g

Norway are favourites to win already without having their song picked yet,

They should have won last year imo. "I Feed You My Love" is a great song by any standard (not just by Eurovision standards) and was one of my favourite songs from 2013. Too good for Eurovision, I suppose! :cool:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It would be weird if they won again this year, Fairytale is still relatively fresh in the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

We can add Israel to the mix now. Not too bad at all :)

20 songs picked, 17 to go. Overall though, the overall standard so far isn't that high. We haven't even heard it in it's national final yet, but I still think Silent Storm is the winner.

I liked silent storm as well. I think if it wins it will just be another example of Ireland being a year or two behind the curve. We always send something similar to the tops songs of the year or two previous rather than leading a trend to stand out. Is it just me that thinks silent storm sound exactly like a Damien Rice song. Specifically nine crimes. We could easily have produced something like that rather than the song we went with.

• Advertisement

Slovenia: I like the flute. The rest of it is pretty meh.

Sweden: Very bland and safe, the type of song Azerbaijan usually sends. And her voice is kind of annoying in the chorus when she sings the word "undo".
    But because it's Sweden you can't rule it out.

Yeah, I really liked Sanna when I first heard her a couple of weeks back, but I'm not so sure it was the right song in the end. I think Ace Wilder might have been the better choice. Still, Undo is a strong song and based on what's been picked so far (which has been poor overall!), I'd say it'll be top 5.

I agree with you about Slovenia. Very safe and solid, and with only one Balkan neighbour to vote for them in their semi they're really going to struggle to qualify.

Denmark also chose their entry tonight, and it's been pretty poorly received from what I've seen, although it doesn't seem that bad to me? I think it could possibly manage top ten.

Denmark just sounds like a Bruno Mars B-side to me. Biggest problem is that Hungary has a similar song that's a little better so the Danish entry will probably look weak in comparison. I doubt it'll be two years in a row for Copenhagen.
    Seems like Russia is also struggling this year; they cancelled the national final because the songs submitted apparently weren't good enough! :phttp://oikotimes.com/2014/03/04/russia-2014-internal-decision-on-march-8/

I'm finding it really hard to pick a potential winner this year. Of the songs chosen thus far, Romania sounds the most like a Eurovision winner to me, even though I'm pretty indifferent to it myself. Norway might do it if they send "Silent Storm", and Azerbaijan are always gonna be near the top, but I dunno. It feels like a fairly weak year this year in comparison to the past three or four years.

France, UK and Poland are my personal favourites so far but none of them are anywhere near as good as some of the entries I've loved from recent years (like "I Feed you My Love", "Euphoria", "Taken By a Stranger")

Good god I hope you're wrong about Romania! Talk about a mess of a song. Playing With Fire was infinitely better.

I know I'm repeating myself, but if Silent Storm is picked for Norway it should, based on what's been picked so far, blow everything else out of the water. We'll see it performed live for the first time tomorrow night, so it'll be interesting to see if the live version packs as much of a punch as the studio version.

Regarding the overall standard, who's left to be picked that could be a challenger? Probably only Armenia, Azerbaijan (if they decide to go with a different song), Germany and Russia. But then again, would people really vote for Russia what with all that's going on in Ukraine?

I reckon the Israeli song is pretty strong. It's not very original, but it's one of the few that's made me want to listen again.

Regarding the overall standard, who's left to be picked that could be a challenger?

Well there's always San Marino! :pac: Valentina Monetta is probably gonna sing every year until she finally qualifies!
    Also Albania are reworking their song into English; if that turns out well then it might stand out, given that it's one of the better ballads this year.

• Advertisement

I feel sorry for San Marino, they really should have qualified last year. Great song, but the execution was terrible.

Looks like Montenegro is breaking with tradition and taking it seriously this year. Boo. :(
    The musical parts are quite nice, I suppose, but the song as a whole is just yawnsome.

The Montenegrin song is pleasant enough, I'd say it's probably the 4th best song in semi 1 thus far after Sweden, Hungary & Estonia. They'll have a tough time qualifying though, they haven't a single voting ally in their semi. A shame they're not in the 2nd semi, they'd have Slovenia, Switzerland & Austria.

Here is the first live performance of Silent Storm. It sounds pretty good live. I think the overall presentation needs work though. I imagine it'll win the Norwegian final pretty easily

Greece: I don't think I've ever seen such a nightclubby-type song in Eurovision before. It's the type of thing I'd never listen to while sober but would have no problem dancing to after a few drinks. :p Honestly if I heard this on a night out I'd never have thought it was a Eurovision song. It'll stand out a bit among all the ballads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't like the Greek one at all. I must say I do like the Romania song. I think it starts off well but it does get quite messy about two minutes in. I think it will be good live though and they should have won a few years ago with Playing With Fire so I hope it does well.

I didn't like the UK one much at first but I'm warming to it. Same goes for the Swedish one.

I've been looking at some of the comments on the Irish entry on Youtube. General feedback seems to be positive, with the negative feedback being that it's too similar to last year's winner and that it's bland.

I expect it to qualify and perhaps push for a top ten. I don't see an outstanding candidate yet but I think a few more countries will reveal their songs this week.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I don't like the Greek one at all. I must say I do like the Romania song. I think it starts off well but it does get quite messy about two minutes in. I think it will be good live though and they should have won a few years ago with Playing With Fire so I hope it does well.

I didn't like the UK one much at first but I'm warming to it. Same goes for the Swedish one.

I've been looking at some of the comments on the Irish entry on Youtube. General feedback seems to be positive, with the negative feedback being that it's too similar to last year's winner and that it's bland.

I expect it to qualify and perhaps push for a top ten. I don't see an outstanding candidate yet but I think a few more countries will reveal their songs this week.

I think Romania's biggest asset is the performers rather than the song; they're very good live singers, particularly the woman. I'd expect them to do very well.

As for Ireland, I'd be very surprised if we don't qualify. We're lucky in that we're in the smaller semi-final, where only 5 songs won't qualify, and we have the UK voting in that semi, which is always a plus.

So we only need to beat five other songs in the semi-final to qualify. The ones that are most likely to qualify imo are:

Israel (decent song, good singer)
    Norway (song hasn't even been picked yet and they're still among the bookies favourites)
    Poland (you don't get 40 million Youtube hits without doing something right.....unless you're Rebecca Black!)
    Finland (pop-rock tends to do rather well)
    Greece (it's Greece, of course it'll qualify)
    Macedonia (solid, catchy song)
    Romania (catchy song, very good singers)

Which leaves three spots open. Georgia (who are sending a jazz band by the sounds of it; who knows how that will go down?) has yet to be released but for arguments sake let's say they'll qualify. That leaves two spots open. Now look at the rest:

Austria is sending a bearded drag queen; juries might see her as just a gimmick and televoters from the more conservative countries won't go for it.
    Lithuania is an ok song but the singer is very shouty.
    Belarus, as awesome as it is, won't get through sadly.
    Slovenia never do well in televotes and their song is nothing special.
    Malta has a song that juries may lap up but televoters won't be excited by.
    Switzerland has a guy with crazy eyes who can whistle but can't sing!

Surely Ireland will take one of the last two spots when you consider the other options!

I really have no idea why I take this so seriously. :o

I think Romania's biggest asset is the performers rather than the song; they're very good live singers, particularly the woman. I'd expect them to do very well.

As for Ireland, I'd be very surprised if we don't qualify. We're lucky in that we're in the smaller semi-final, where only 5 songs won't qualify, and we have the UK voting in that semi, which is always a plus.

So we only need to beat five other songs in the semi-final to qualify. The ones that are most likely to qualify imo are:

Israel (decent song, good singer)
    Norway (song hasn't even been picked yet and they're still among the bookies favourites)
    Poland (you don't get 40 million Youtube hits without doing something right.....unless you're Rebecca Black!)
    Finland (pop-rock tends to do rather well)
    Greece (it's Greece, of course it'll qualify)
    Macedonia (solid, catchy song)
    Romania (catchy song, very good singers)

Which leaves three spots open. Georgia (who are sending a jazz band by the sounds of it; who knows how that will go down?) has yet to be released but for arguments sake let's say they'll qualify. That leaves two spots open. Now look at the rest:

Austria is sending a bearded drag queen; juries might see her as just a gimmick and televoters from the more conservative countries won't go for it.
    Lithuania is an ok song but the singer is very shouty.
    Belarus, as awesome as it is, won't get through sadly.
    Slovenia never do well in televotes and their song is nothing special.
    Malta has a song that juries may lap up but televoters won't be excited by.
    Switzerland has a guy with crazy eyes who can whistle but can't sing!

Surely Ireland will take one of the last two spots when you consider the other options!

I really have no idea why I take this so seriously. :o

Cause it's Eurovision that's why! Serious business!!

Like you say, I don't think Ireland should have too much trouble qualifying. How we'll do in the final is an entirely different matter, difficult to say at this stage.

Meanwhile, here's the Dutch entry. Nice pleasant song, but I just think it needs a little bit more life in places?

A lot of fans were upset when Sanna Nielsen was picked over Ace Wilder for Sweden. Where do ye stand on that? Personally I think they may have missed a trick not sending Ace.

Germany

Not a Eurovision winner.

Georgia

*shrug*

Armenia

It's alright. A grower I'd say. I can see it doing well enough.

San Marino

Not going to qualify.

• Advertisement

Yeah I expected more from San Marino tbh. They had pretty much a whole year to compose a song, I think they could have done better than that. Maybe it'll have a better chance if it's sung in Italian.

I don't have any particular opinion on Germany. It's there.

I admire the Georgian entry more than I enjoy it. If Eurovision was about how musically "sophisticated" the songs were then they'd probably win but I reckon an entry like that is gonna go completely over most peoples' heads.

Armenia definitely sounds like it could be a contender. I'm a sucker for big dramatic strings! :p

Tonight we'll know Azerbaijan, Moldova, Norway and Portugal. Then Belgium tomorrow night and Austria on Tuesday. That only leaves Russia (who seem to have no idea what they're doing this year; I say they should bring back the Babushki grannies from 2012! :D)

It'll be very interesting to see what kind of reception Russia get at Eurovision this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Worth pointing out Armenia's record up to now.

From its debut in 2006 until 2010, it never failed to finish outside the top ten, with a high of fourth in 2008:

Sirusho actually finished ahead of Dima Bilan in the semi, and in the final picked up more 12s than anyone else.

However, no less than 15 countries failed to award her any points - including the UK, Ireland, Azerbaijan (naturally), and many of the countries that had taken part in the other semi. Fair to say, that destroyed her chances of victory.

And since 2010, her country hasn't come close to even making the top ten: failed to progress from the semis in '11, didn't take part in '12 because it was in Baku, and finished 18th in '13.

I remember Qele Qele quite well. Good song, but it's ranking was boosted massively by the huge Armenian diaspora all over Europe, specifically the Netherlands and Beligium, both of whom gave 12 points.

They gave Armenia 0 points last year, which clearly emphasises the benefits on the new voting system.

Carl Espen to represent norway, such a slow sad song tho.

No surprises with Carl being picked. Best song by a mile thus far.

There's quite a fan backlash starting already though.

No surprises with Carl being picked. Best song by a mile thus far.

There's quite a fan backlash starting already though.

It's starting to grow on me, the chorus is very powerful but I find the verse a bit so so, i can see both sides of the coin but I think the emotion attached to the song may give it a good end result.top 3 maybe, but it is the favourite, and favourites have won something like 12 of the last 13 eurovision I heard somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

It's starting to grow on me, the chorus is very powerful but I find the verse a bit so so, i can see both sides of the coin but I think the emotion attached to the song may give it a good end result.top 3 maybe, but it is the favourite, and favourites have won something like 12 of the last 13 eurovision I heard somewhere

Well, Estonia's win in 2001 came as a complete surprise to almost everyone... ;)

And I don't think many people expected Ell and Nikki to win for Azerbaijan in 2011, either.

I remember being completely baffled by both Estonia and Latvia winning in 2001 and 2002. They're really bad winners imo. I don't think Ell and Niki were the favourites but they were certainly up there, so their win didn't come as too much of a surprise to me. I thought their's was a really good song, although not many seem to agree.

Dima Bilan is the worst winner of recent times imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Really don't see how that Norwegian song is so highly rated? :confused: I think it's very bland.

Iceland had a better ballad than that last year imo (the guy with the long hair and beard) and I don't think it threatened the leaders. I loved Norway last year but I don't see this year's entry as anything special.

Where are Sweden in the betting odds? I see a lot of positive comments on that on Youtube and it features highly in people's lists. I would be tempted to stick a few quid on it.

PS I think if Sweden win Eurovision they are just one win behind Ireland in the all-time winners list?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Advertisement