Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Sorry lurking here... June mammy but our thread never got going!

I'm in Co. Wicklow too and I had the PHN check at 7.5 months and the medical officer (doctor) check at 8.5 months (even though they are called the 7 and 9 month checks). I was delighted as I got both of them out of the way before I went back to work when he was 9 months. Ring up your local health centre and ask about it as he may have slipped off the list.

Thanks, I may just do that, we are wicklow town, so I'm not sure if the move to the new health centre is having an impact, but there is every chance we've been lost in the paperwork, as all of my appointments have been hand written, so I suspect it's more of a manual system where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hey ladies! Time is flying isn't it? Glad all our little July ones are thriving. I've registered with our local PH Clinic in Baggot Street and met the PHN back in February but haven't received anything about bubba's nine-month check. Should I just call them or does one wait to receive an appointment can anyone tell me please?

I'd just give them a call, your little one must be 10 months old the day before Sean :) Time really is flying, I'm already thinking about the first birthday party!

Went to pick my little monkey up at creche today and they said that I couldn't take him home as they wanted to keep him as he is such a good boy, but maybe just for tonight he could go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks, will do that tomorrow. Awww bless, Sean is the 25th then? Where is the time going?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I can't believe our babies are almost 10 months old. Our tiny little babies! I got distracted with a phone call while giving Abi her dinner yesterday and she pointed at the bowl and said "Mam, dah!". Well I almost died! So grown up! And her worm dance crawl is so ridiculous!

• Advertisement

Yep, Sean is the 25th, thought it was going to be the 24th due to a major water leakage that morning, but he held on until then and had to be delivered by c section.

I can't believe our babies are nearly 10 months too, almost feel sad we are out of all of the baby clothes now, well, pretty much. Perhaps there will be a number 2, but not just yet!

Rang up the HSE wicklow, we are to be called next month for a doctor check. Thanks to the other Wicklow mamma's for their info. Apparently it can be down to area, so Wicklow town must be a bit later than Newtown!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Quick update: Ruben started walking at the start of this month:

Abigail's just started to stand up, so we're hoping for some steps soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

j@utis wrote: »
    Quick update: Ruben started walking at the start of this month:

I was just thinking about him yesterday! My little one is standing and starting to cruise so I reckoned Ruben being so advanced was probably already walking!! Very exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

where has the year gone girls my little ruby is 1 next monday i just cant believe it x what a wonderful and tough year with her but wouldnt change anything xx

hope ye are all keeping well shasha massive congratulations how are you keeping?are you finding it tough this time round? we are concidering trying for no 3 soon am i mad yeah i think so but i want my kids to grow up together

hope everyone else is well

Happy 1st Birthday month to all the babies

where has the year gone girls my little ruby is 1 next monday i just cant believe it x what a wonderful and tough year with her but wouldnt change anything xx

hope ye are all keeping well shasha massive congratulations how are you keeping?are you finding it tough this time round? we are concidering trying for no 3 soon am i mad yeah i think so but i want my kids to grow up together

hope everyone else is well

Happy 1st Birthday month to all the babies

Not finding it tough at all if I'm honest! I'm 18w2d now, plenty of movement and a lovely big bump! I had no morning sickness again, but my sciatica is back this time and the heartburn started much earlier! Round ligament pain is much worse than last time but totally manageable. Little lady is just starting to learn to walk, but no brave independent steps just yet! She's going to be flower girl for her mama and dada next year (finally) so she had better practice! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Ah that's brilliant shasha delighted you're feeling good congratulations on the wedding too x

We have as busy house here at the moment 1 learning to walk and one learning to us the potty fun times though x

Hi Ladies! Glad to hear all the babies are doing well. My little lady is flying around cruising and standing briefly unassisted, will be walking in no time I reckon. She will be some challenge then, she is already wild!!

Anyone given thought yet to weaning off formula for the formula fed babies? Whst are your plans? How much formula is your baby taking currently? I never have a clue if our food and drink pattern is appropriate - I've no one to compare notes with and info online is so contradictory. Baby is thriving so I've no concerns, whatever we do seems to be working, but I'm always curious to see what other babies are taking!!

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Hi Ladies! Glad to hear all the babies are doing well. My little lady is flying around cruising and standing briefly unassisted, will be walking in no time I reckon. She will be some challenge then, she is already wild!!

Anyone given thought yet to weaning off formula for the formula fed babies? Whst are your plans? How much formula is your baby taking currently? I never have a clue if our food and drink pattern is appropriate - I've no one to compare notes with and info online is so contradictory. Baby is thriving so I've no concerns, whatever we do seems to be working, but I'm always curious to see what other babies are taking!!

To be totally honest even though guidelines state not to, we started weaning Abigail about 2 months ago. She's off formula now and very happy on cows milk. One bottle in the morning and one before bed at night.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    To be totally honest even though guidelines state not to, we started weaning Abigail about 2 months ago. She's off formula now and very happy on cows milk. One bottle in the morning and one before bed at night.

Did you do a gradual switch? I'm assuming it's best to do it over a few days? Any particular reason you decided to drop the formula? My little one has a small appetite so probably does still need the nutrients in formula

Did you do a gradual switch? I'm assuming it's best to do it over a few days? Any particular reason you decided to drop the formula? My little one has a small appetite so probably does still need the nutrients in formula

Oh yeah, very gradual. Worked with one bottle at a time, reducing the formula in it. She has a massive appetite and is eating 4 solid meals a day. She'll have porridge/weetabix/toast for breakfast with fruit, a yoghurt and sometimes a bit of ham or cheese. She'll have whatever we are having for lunch and dinner and she has a tea as well (usually quite light, maybe a bit of soup mixed with leftover spuds from dinner or a boiled egg with butter).
    I had my PHN here for a visit during lunch one day and she couldn't believe her appetite and agreed she's a baby for solids. She actually advised that I remove formula as she had an immense varied diet. She eats all fruits except oranges and loves ALL vegetables.

Sean has been walking for well over a month now, and it's pretty fun being able to take him to the playground and he can climb around there :eek:
    3 weeks tomorrow until his first birthday!

He is in creche 4 days a week and loves it. We are still on 3 bottles per day, but I'm sure we'll be dropping one before long.

Rua1 wrote: »
    Sean has been walking for well over a month now, and it's pretty fun being able to take him to the playground and he can climb around there :eek:
    3 weeks tomorrow until his first birthday!

He is in creche 4 days a week and loves it. We are still on 3 bottles per day, but I'm sure we'll be dropping one before long.

We still have 3 bottles also. Ready to drop the middle of the day one I reckon but don't really want to reduce fluids during this hot weather

We still have 3 bottles also. Ready to drop the middle of the day one I reckon but don't really want to reduce fluids during this hot weather

Abigail has plenty of water in this weather, sometimes we'll steep a bit of lemon or something in it to give it a bit of flavour! She likes a little bit of warm milk in a bottle before her nap at around 3 as well, but it's been a killer getting her to drink it when it's so hot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I had my PHN here for a visit during lunch one day and she couldn't believe her appetite and agreed she's a baby for solids. She actually advised that I remove formula as she had an immense varied diet. She eats all fruits except oranges and loves ALL vegetables.

I don't normally follow this thread but I just saw this and remembered a previous comment of yours - is this the same PHN who advised you start solids at 12 weeks? I'm gobsmacked that a health professional in the year 2015 would advise you to drop formula and substitute it for cow's milk at 9 months. There's a reason there are guidelines of breast / formula milk only until 12 months, as cow's milk just isn't suitable for babies of less than a year, given that it is produced for a different species, i.e. calves. Her advice is wrong as a baby's main source of nutrition is supposed to be milk (breast / formula) until 12 months, with solids going alongside milk, not replacing it. And cow's milk is only supposed to be used in cooking, eg porridge, omelettes, etc., not used for drinking instead of baby appropriate milk.

It just really annoys me when I hear of PHNs giving blatantly wrong and stupid advice.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I don't normally follow this thread but I just saw this and remembered a previous comment of yours - is this the same PHN who advised you start solids at 12 weeks? I'm gobsmacked that a health professional in the year 2015 would advise you to drop formula and substitute it for cow's milk at 9 months. There's a reason there are guidelines of breast / formula milk only until 12 months, as cow's milk just isn't suitable for babies of less than a year, given that it is produced for a different species, i.e. calves. Her advice is wrong as a baby's main source of nutrition is supposed to be milk (breast / formula) until 12 months, with solids going alongside milk, not replacing it. And cow's milk is only supposed to be used in cooking, eg porridge, omelettes, etc., not used for drinking instead of baby appropriate milk.

It just really annoys me when I hear of PHNs giving blatantly wrong and stupid advice.

Not the same one that I originally had, no. But for the record, she was 10 months when I began weaning and 11 months when I finished. She didn't force me, I did my own research and made my own decision accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Not the same one that I originally had, no. But for the record, she was 10 months when I began weaning and 11 months when I finished. She didn't force me, I did my own research and made my own decision accordingly.

Your previous post said you started the cow's milk 2 months ago which is where I got the 9 months from ... Wasn't your baby born towards the end of July rather than earlier in July?

And yes, PHNs can't force you to do anything - they are there to just advise (but a lot of their advice is bad advice anyway) but I still think it was unprofessional of her to suggest it anyway.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Your previous post said you started the cow's milk 2 months ago which is where I got the 9 months from ... Wasn't your baby born towards the end of July rather than earlier in July?

And yes, PHNs can't force you to do anything - they are there to just advise (but a lot of their advice is bad advice anyway) but I still think it was unprofessional of her to suggest it anyway.

Yes, at the end of May. I suppose I should have said it was less since it was closer to June, but when I said two months ago I meant in the month of May.

what size is she now Shasha? I got Ruben weighted at the start of June, he was 10.3kg and 79.5cm.

my little man only started eating decent amounts about two weeks ago. He was on two meals before that, now he's on three. He's cutting his molars at the moment, so I hope his appetite will only improve with more teeth. He's struggling to eat meats, if it's not minced - not a chance he would eat it - just rolls it into the ball in his mouth and spits it out at the end.

j@utis wrote: »
    what size is she now Shasha? I got Ruben weighted at the start of June, he was 10.3kg and 79.5cm.

my little man only started eating decent amounts about two weeks ago. He was on two meals before that, now he's on three. He's cutting his molars at the moment, so I hope his appetite will only improve with more teeth. He's struggling to eat meats, if it's not minced - not a chance he would eat it - just rolls it into the ball in his mouth and spits it out at the end.

She's not due a weigh in for another few weeks so I actually don't know for sure. But I had to return two playsuits I bought for her in Penneys last week as they were too small.... They were size 2-3 years!!! :( Had to buy 3-4 years for her and they are a tidy fit! She's not very tall (but then mama and dada are both under 5ft6) but she has super chubby legs and a big tummy :P
    Abigail isn't too great with meats either. She likes mince in bolognese or a lasagna, and she likes small pieces of chicken. She LOVES ham. But anything that cuts a bit stringy or is tough to chew she'll just spit out. She also despises cream :pac:

She's not due a weigh in for another few weeks so I actually don't know for sure. But I had to return two playsuits I bought for her in Penneys last week as they were too small.... They were size 2-3 years!!! :( Had to buy 3-4 years for her and they are a tidy fit! She's not very tall (but then mama and dada are both under 5ft6) but she has super chubby legs and a big tummy :P
    Abigail isn't too great with meats either. She likes mince in bolognese or a lasagna, and she likes small pieces of chicken. She LOVES ham. But anything that cuts a bit stringy or is tough to chew she'll just spit out. She also despises cream :pac:

Pennies sizes are so random. They are totally inconsistent in my experience, even the kids stuff.

My little one is still on the small side. Just over 20th percentile at 9 month check, probably still around the same I reckon. Weight gain is slow still. I'd say she's still less than 8kg. She is still in a lot of 6-9 month stuff and even a couple of 3-6 month bits. A lot of the 9-12 month stuff is loose on her, especially the bottoms. She has a tiny waist and no belly so 9-12 month bottoms are hanging off her bum. I might bring her to get weighed the next time I'm off work on a Tuesday, hopefully she won't have dropped any further down the charts. Not that I'm worried as such, more just curious. Because she has a very healthy looking body with a nice amount of baby fat, she just has a small frame I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

When we were changing from formula to cows milk I'm pretty sure we did an immediate switch. He'd already had cows milk in food plenty of times with no reaction, along with the occasional bottle of cows milk with no problem, so one day we ran out of formula and just didn't bother buying any more. We did wait until around the year mark though.

I've heard of people swapping out ounces of formula for cows milk and phasing it in that way, I don't think there's any need though unless you have reason to believe they'll have a reaction or unless they refuse the cows milk. Our son actually seemed to prefer it to the formula!

Ruben is celebrating his 1st birthday today and is sending his greetings to all July babies!
    2015-08-01%20Bday%20board%20-%20small_zpssyxrm5vx.jpg

• Advertisement

Happy first birthday to Ruben! Crazy they are a year old already. Sean turned one a week ago! It's insane how my little baby is now running!!!

Advertisement