Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TNG run-through...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've still stalled at Season 2. I've gone to the darkside though....Battlestar Galactica :eek: First time watching it, really enjoying it so far {tv miniseries done & about five eps into Season 1}

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive 4 episodes left on season 5 that i havent watched since christmas.

Battlestar... what a show. if this is your first time your in for a treat. Its my favorite scifi tv show ever, absolute quality. It deserves a run through thread dude i want to read your reaction to how it evolves along the way!

keithgeo wrote: »
    Ive 4 episodes left on season 5 that i havent watched since christmas.

Battlestar... what a show. if this is your first time your in for a treat. Its my favorite scifi tv show ever, absolute quality. It deserves a run through thread dude i want to read your reaction to how it evolves along the way!

I know, I'd like to do a run through thread...but the Battlestar Galactica forum is in a dark, damp, musty corner of boards that nobody reads :o:D Loving it so far yeah, so much so that I'm thinking of halting it & buying the box set on blu ray to continue on that! But anyway, em, phasers & stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

BSG is awesome (and that is not a word a good Irish girl like me keeps in her vocab!)

I want to continue on with TNG but I have to admit I hate all the Klingon stuff. I just find it way too "MEN GRRRR KILL GRRR". The Borg, now there is a species I can hate and love at the same time. I find them (as Spock would say) fascinating.

I will soldier on. I somehow found my self a bit surprised when I realised there was only 7 seasons. :(

I love the Klingon eps, i think they are some of the best to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Introduced the GF to Caretaker and she really enjoyed it. First time seeing it in years. Looks like more voyager tonight :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Season 1 of voyager was seriously ropey though. Some of the episodes feel so low budget. Like, they spent so much on the set that they didn't have much left for over anything else.....including screenwriters. :p It got better no doubt but it would be hard to sit through them again.

Ya I agree S1 wasnt the best but it improves greatly from there on in. Each season has a few dodgy eps and a few amazing eps and a bit meh ones in between. Have to say though, one of the best finales ever!

Hate Janeway, Hate Tuvok, Hate Neelix, Hate Tom Paris haha the only actor i can really stand on that show is Robert Picardo. I really wish Geneviève Bujold hadnt quit the show as Janeway, i think she would have been much better. the characters on Voyager where just boring. (All my opinion of course, everyone is entitled to their own) I love trek, but just Voyager for me was terrible.

Totally disagree ha ha. Loved voyager. It was my favourite.

• Advertisement

Hate Janeway, Hate Tuvok, Hate Neelix, Hate Tom Paris haha the only actor i can really stand on that show is Robert Picardo. I really wish Geneviève Bujold hadnt quit the show as Janeway, i think she would have been much better. the characters on Voyager where just boring. (All my opinion of course, everyone is entitled to their own) I love trek, but just Voyager for me was terrible.

Watching Battlestar Galactica is a real eye opener...as much as I love Trek, Battlestar makes Voyager look like a kids show, seriously.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Watching Battlestar Galactica is a real eye opener...as much as I love Trek, Battlestar makes Voyager look like a kids show, seriously.

Yes! Battlestar is amazing. and it reinvents itself through-out the seasons and gets better. really wish their was a battlestar thread haha..

Yes! Battlestar is amazing. and it reinvents itself through-out the seasons and gets better. really wish their was a battlestar thread haha..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=490# :)

Myrddin wrote: »

I meant a thread you where posting to so i could comment on it as different things are revealed haha.. ive watched it about 5 times now and running through sg1 and TNG so dont have time to watch it as well and post myself! :D

I meant a thread you where posting to so i could comment on it as different things are revealed haha.. ive watched it about 5 times now and running through sg1 and TNG so dont have time to watch it as well and post myself! :D

I'm too wrapped up in it to even post about it...it's so, so well written. Again, a huge Trek fan, but it puts Voyager to shame :o The only single thing about it that sometimes bother me, is....shaky cam!

ah i love it, especially the space scenes, the way it zooms in and un-blurs, makes it seem more real i think. As far as i know, thats borrowed from Firefly which i think was the first to do it. Just wait Dude.. so much good happens... wish i watching it for the first time again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

If anybody has read my past posts, BSG is the only thing that ever made me a fanboy and I know what that means. :o

This may be a controversial opinion, I honestly consider BSG better than the Wire. It's probably the greatest complete story I've ever seen, watched, read.

The Wire captured my mind, but BSG captured my heart as well; so it wins.
    It's actually a really inspiring work but in a different way to Star Trek

The greatest compliment of this show is the profound feeling of loss I feel after having seen the final episode. I deeply feel sadness and sorrow at having seen this end.

I never thought a piece of art would be able to do that let alone a television show. Watching all through on boxset was a near spiritual experience.

I very rarely watch any modern TV now, everything feels so vacous and empty

It reminds me as a child playing Final Fantasy VII and thinking this was another "realm of experience and true immersion"

I never has that experience again as an adult, until seeing BSG.

Unfortunately nothing has come to replace it in the years since it ended. Yeah so for me; it moved the goal posts so far back, that the Hubble would have a hard time pinpointing them

Also has music have ever been so superb?

I think David Eick said in the commentaries for the season 4 DVD that "it feels like we made BSG for a format or medium that doesn't yet exist and then we squashed it into a tv format"

Anyway enough of my gushing, shine on you jammy b******d watching it for the first time

I do agree with you that BSG is amazing, but I feel that way about SG1, 24, Alias and Spooks and more recently Friday Night Lights.
    I do love Star Trek too, but like you the sense of loss I had when the other shows ended, well to say I was a blubbering mess is an understatement.
    I never really had that with Star Trek, because I guess there was always another series to watch. When TNG ended you had Voyager and DS9. when they ended you went back to TNG again. Even with Voyager, although I have said before it was one of the best finales ever, I felt like they were going on, but with out us watching, if you get me.
    (Ive just come home from book club so Im in an analysing mood)

Ok to finish up re Battlestar Galactica...I'm so taken with it, that I've decided I'm not going to watch any further eps of it & treat myself to the blu ray box set. The season 1 cliff hanger...omfg :eek::eek:

In light of that, I'm back continuing on my TNG run for the mo, as I need to save up, buy/order the Battlestar set & wait for it to arrive.

So, kicking off where I stopped, Season 2 episode 1 last night..."The Child". Pretty poor season opener, not a whole lot actually happened in it, & what did, seemed pointless. So an alien entity decided to be born by Troi, grew up in a few mins, then fecked off because he was emitting a form of radiation that was endangering the crew. We never learned what the alien learned or thought about anything....seemed pretty weak writing.

Good plan re Battlestar!

Trek: yeh thats one of the Bad eps, early troy eps are mostly bad though. Ive only about 4 eps left in season 5 now. Last one i watched was the one where the kid on the enterprise has a imaginary friend, its similar enough to this ep where a ball of energy comes onto the ship and takes the form of the kids imaginary friend, and its also just as bad.

• Advertisement

I'll be starting season 5 as soon as I get caught up on the few other shows I've been watching. It's been so long since I've seen these episodes its like watching again for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

BSG in the beginning was awesome but the last season or two really let it down IMO, similar to Lost.

DS9 on the other hand just got better and better, by far my favourite trek.

But the last shot of TNG when Picard plays poker is by far the best ending for any of the series.

BSG in the beginning was awesome but the last season or two really let it down IMO, similar to Lost.

DS9 on the other hand just got better and better, by far my favourite trek.

But the last shot of TNG when Picard plays poker is by far the best ending for any of the series.

I couldnt disagree more with you on BSG, i loved it all the way through. Without going into spoiler territory, I loved the mythology, I loved the overall story and i loved the ending, Lost was pants in the end. I think we should leave the BSG talk now because the last thing i want to do is see any spoilers posted and ruin if for Myrrdin!

Back to trek!

Any idea when season 6 is out on Blu Ray? I know ill be dying to watch it when i finally finish off season 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think BSG came a bit unwound towards the end. Suffered from too long a season, 20-odd episodes each and too much of it filler or ideas later forgotten/abandoned. They got carried away and strecthed themselves too thin.

The first season was 13 episodes I think? I really believe if they'd stuck to that for the other four seasons we would have had a much better over-all piece of work.

Not to detract too much though. It's an amazing show.

<on-topic> Star Trek also is a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Regarding a post about Voyager always being spanking new the next week, that is true. However there is a 2 part episode called The Year of Hell where Voyager really showed damage and perhaps how it should have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

Regarding a post about Voyager always being spanking new the next week, that is true. However there is a 2 part episode called The Year of Hell where Voyager really showed damage and perhaps how it should have been done.

Except without the big reset button at the end right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Daith wrote: »
    Except without the big reset button at the end right?

Erm, i guess they did, but I just mean it was a good example of how they showed progressive damage over a period of time and they could have done the same thing i guess with the weekly show, have it a bit banged up but even just gradual repairs.

I guess that's one big issue of mine, when shows just drop or don't conclude storylines.

Still its a good two parter, i might watch it again soon.

Any word of when seasons 5-7 will be out on blu-ray?

Or DS9?

"Contagion" last night...good episode about the Iconians. Riker screaming at Wesley Crusher to get the shields up though, tsk tsk :rolleyes:

Just finished "The Icarus Factor" (Season 2). It just struck me when the episode was ending, how Riker turning down the captains chair of the Aries was a mistake. Why did he decline it do you think? His answer in the episode was "Motivated self interest...right now the best place for me is here." What does this mean though?

It's only season 2, so we wasn't that well entrenched in life on board the Enterprise. As Picard put it, when comparing the two choices:

1) As first officer of the flagship, his position carries a certain prestige with it. But it's only that, second in command.
    2) As captain of the Aries, he'd command a relatively insignificant ship in an obscure part of the galaxy...but it would be his ship.

Was he afraid of the big chair? Did he not want to give up the position of importance on the Enterprise? Was he hoping to inherit the Enterprise at some stage in the future if Picard resigned?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say it was as much a personal choice as a professional one. He was happy being XO to Picard...i mean, who wouldn't be. Learning from the best and all that. He was also still very young, wasn't he? And i'd guess he felt at home on the Enterprise, and wasn't yet ready to leave.

Plus, it's the Enterprise :)

Advertisement