Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overly demanding tenant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

username_x wrote: »
    Oh she's back.

I never doubted this from the start, but sure what do I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

emeldc wrote: »

?????? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You advised the OP to break the law and illegally evict the tenant :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Could this whole saga, like a lot more of the stories on here, have been prevented if only there was some sort of independent registry of tenants and landlords.
    If a tenant causes property distruction, antisocial behaviour, removes items i.e. theft, then they would show up on it.
    Likewise some of the less honest landlords would be on it.

I know there could be a whole slew of issues regarding mis representations, false allegations, and the dreaded data protection implications, but seriously there are too many dodgy tenants and landlords in the system and it sometimes appears it is just through luck that people avoid them.

In this case with this tenant in her forties there is probably a good chance she has tried to pull something similar before and by the sounds of it any gaps in her rental history may be down to a stay in a hospital of some sort.
    Good luck to her new landlord.

BTW tenants' "landlord of the year" title should be given to the guy that drives 20 miles each way to take out the tenants bins.

Of course the same person could be in line for "the smuck of the year" title. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

username_x wrote: »
    Oh she's back!

Text this morning asking when and where she could collect her deposit. Emailed her a list of things now in the house compared to the inventory I had at the start with all missing items highlighted, and told her once these were priced and replaced she could have the remainder of the deposit back.

Thank god the locks are changed is all I'll say!

I know it's the wrong thing to do but I'd give her back her deposit, the less time you spend on this crazy lady the better, she will have time to make up all kinds of alligations about you and your house. You'll endup spending your time money and energy defending yourself, call it quits, learn from it, pick better tennants next time and move on. Enjoy life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I know it's the wrong thing to do but I'd give her back her deposit, the less time you spend on this crazy lady the better, she will have time to make up all kinds of alligations about you and your house. You'll endup spending your time money and energy defending yourself, call it quits, learn from it, pick better tennants next time and move on. Enjoy life!

Fcuk that! Op has taken photographs notified PRTB and informed solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Fook that for a game of laughs. Basically rewarding outrageous behaviour. Bonkers, absolutely bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I know it's the wrong thing to do but I'd give her back her deposit
    Do this, and she'll think she is right, and will do it again to the next landlord. Oh, and she may keep coming back for money for various bullsh|t if she views the OP as a soft touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Are you completely off your rocker. Why would you want to let a nutter like that tenant away with it?

lukesmom wrote: »
    ?????? What?
    You advised the OP to break the law and illegally evict the tenant :pac::pac::pac:

And some of you guys are even more naive than I thought if you think this 'eviction' was legal. At least my way the OP would still have her furniture :rolleyes:
    Please lets not go back over the BS of the scumbag tenant suing the landlord.They never do.
    In my opinion the tenant still has the upper hand here because the OP contacted her after she had left to discuss her deposit WTF.
    By the way if the OP were to pursue the tenant through the PRTB for damages, all they do is make a decision on it, ie tenant 'A' owes landlord 'B' X amount of money. This takes about a year at least. You then need a court order to enforce the decision and even then if the tenant pleads poverty (or in this case insanity) the landlord gets sweet FA. Don't know about you guys but I'd consider that a fierce waste of time and resources.
    Someone called the thread a saga earlier on............... it might only be starting.
    So I'll sign off now because all you vastly experienced 'landlords' with first hand knowledge of dealing with this type fruitcake are obviously singing off a different hymn book to me.

Edit; @ SPACEHOPPER. It's a bit late to give her back her deposit but I know where you're coming from. Good post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

And some of you guys are even more naive than I thought if you think this 'eviction' was legal. At least my way the OP would still have her furniture :rolleyes:
    Please lets not go back over the BS of the scumbag tenant suing the landlord.They never do.
    In my opinion the tenant still has the upper hand here because the OP contacted her after she had left to discuss her deposit WTF.
    By the way if the OP were to pursue the tenant through the PRTB for damages, all they do is make a decision on it, ie tenant 'A' owes landlord 'B' X amount of money. This takes about a year at least. You then need a court order to enforce the decision and even then if the tenant pleads poverty (or in this case insanity) the landlord gets sweet FA. Don't know about you guys but I'd consider that a fierce waste of time and resources.
    Someone called the thread a saga earlier on............... it might only be starting.
    So I'll sign off now because all you vastly experienced 'landlords' with first hand knowledge of dealing with this type fruitcake are obviously singing off a different hymn book to me.

Edit; @ SPACEHOPPER. It's a bit late to give her back her deposit but I know where you're coming from. Good post.

It wasn't an eviction, it was a mutual agreement to end the tenancy at a certain time on a specific day. The OP arrived as agreed and the tenant had already fled with items from the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

And some of you guys are even more naive than I thought if you think this 'eviction' was legal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't actually think this was an illegal eviction? OP said she got tenant to sign a statement saying it was mutually agreed that she move out. So I would think that said statement would have a lot of baring on any case the tenant may try and take.

I really don't think this was an eviction scenario at all. LL asked tenant to leave. Tenant initially kicked up a fuss but then agreed signing a document saying same.

Well done OP

It wasn't an eviction, it was a mutual agreement to end the tenancy at a certain time on a specific day. The OP arrived as agreed and the tenant had already fled with items from the property.

With respect, did she not 'kick and scream'. It doesn't sound too mutual to me. The fruitcake will say she signed whatever under duress. Call it what you like it's an eviction and the only legal eviction is one obtained from a court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The OP and tenant agreed mutually, you have evidence otherwise? Your way would have the OP in trouble for illegal eviction. You should not advocate breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The fruitcake will say she signed whatever under duress.

Which she would have to prove. Both parties had a witness present afaik; its not going to be easy for her to make up lies.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

With respect, did she not 'kick and scream'. It doesn't sound too mutual to me. The fruitcake will say she signed whatever under duress. Call it what you like it's an eviction and the only legal eviction is one obtained from a court.

What duress? She wasn't being coerced into signing away her life savings here, she was being asked to revoke a contract as it wasn't mutually beneficial to either party. The OP was willing to return her deposit once the keys were handed back, she was not at a loss.
    The tenant was also allowed to bring a witness to this meeting, as was the OP.
    The tenant wasn't evicted and the whole situation was handled very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Wow! Some story. Neither a landlord or a tenant but I was fascinated with the story. Thankfully all seems to be working out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Thankfully all seems to be working out.
    are you and i reading the same thread?

petes wrote: »
    Fcuk that! Op has taken photographs notified PRTB and informed solicitor.

Yea and if she bad moughts him around the area people will still believe her - they like to gossop and there is no smokewith out fire....

Sure they could go to the law.... but that would not stop her, what would the op gain nothing, but they would be put to a lot of hassle, cost and greef.

Just because the OP is right and can prove it means nothing, having to fight to prove they are right in itself is a loss.

If it were me I'd cut my losses and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Yea and if she bad moughts him around the area people will still believe her - they like to gossop and there is no smokewith out fire....

Sure they could go to the law.... but that would not stop her, what would the op gain nothing, but they would be put to a lot of hassle, cost and greef.

Just because the OP is right and can prove it means nothing, having to fight to prove they are right in itself is a loss.

Slightly off tangent but remember when Michael Jackson paid out of court to that kid and everyone then said oh he must have done something wrong and bought his silence.
    See the point I'm making?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Too right the OP took the deposit!! She had every right to do so. But I wanted to ask: Did you deduct for the paint, OP?

The OP doesnt really have to fight to prove anything. They have evidence of the damage and they have proof to back it up. All the OP needs to do is go out and get written proof to back up the deductions, and make it available to the tenant should she want it (as is her right).

At this point the ball is in the tenants court. If she wants to take it the PRTB then let her fire ahead. But the OP has the deposit and in no way should she consider returning it until a) she has priced the repairs/replacements and knows how much to return and how much to deduct, and b) unless the PRTB instructs them to return the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Just on the note of contacting her after she'd left to discuss her deposit. I clearly stayed that I'd arranged a meeting time, waiting well over an hour in which I tried to contact the tenant many times. Eventually got a text saying she wouldn't be returning. I replied straight away asking her about discussing her deposit WHICH I HAD WITH ME. I didn't withhold it (which I also clarified), she just left without it. Now, after me seeing all the damage (holes in wall etc which I only noticed this evening, damage to panel on bath etc) and stuff missing she's text looking for it back.

Please explain to me, how in relation to her deposit I am wrong? I don't know where the women went. Now if you're willing to drive around dublin looking for her, be my guest. I had nothing to go on as to where she may be.

Just to clarify AGAIN, I arranged a meeting time to return the deposit, before I saw damage and stuff missing, and she wasn't there, then contacted to say she wouldn't be returning. I gave her an opinion to contact me regarding her deposit, and I got no reply until today.

And also, it was not an eviction, it was a mutual agreement. I didn't force her to sign the dotted line, but she did. I didn't throw her out on the street there and then. She contacted me with the date she was leaving even though it was earlier than the date I gave her. She signed the dotted line, and if she was in no fit mental state to do this then she was no fit mental state to sign the original lease in the first place.

TL;DR: she legged it before I got a chance to give her the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Yer doing everything right username_x, just crack on with the clean, the photos and get people in looking at it as soon as possible. No need to explain yourself repeatedly on the thread, it will more than likely bubble on with various disagreements for a while yet.

It really feels like the boards community weighed in behind you and helped un-wreck your head, it's something great here we can all be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

And there aren't enough words for me to tell you all how much I appreciate it. I would have ended up in a lot of trouble with PRTB if I had have just gone with my gut reaction which was to fcuk her out. So genuinely thank you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

OP I think I found your tenent!! Nice try you snake........:D

frag420 wrote: »
    OP I think I found your tenent!! Nice try you snake........:D

I've nothing to do with the old tennant, my point is that she's caused enough stree for the OP, she's clearly nuts and I wouldn't give an axe to grind even it it cost me a months rent or more it's not worth the stress, put your time into something more important.

I've nothing to do with the old tennant, my point is that she's caused enough stree for the OP, she's clearly nuts and I wouldn't give an axe to grind even it it cost me a months rent or more it's not worth the stress, put your time into something more important.

What stress? The OP has to do nothing here except gather up their evidence and wait for the PRTB to come calling (if indeed they ever do). Until that happens, they can put this behind them and forget about this person. The balls in the tenants court now; its up to them to take a case if they want to. I certainly wouldnt be engaging them any furhter.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

All I can say is great thread, Well done OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

username_x, will the deposit cover the level of damage / theft? Or are you going to have to chase her in court?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement