Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overly demanding tenant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

username_x wrote: »
    And yes I got a previous landlord reference and it was glowing. Starting to question the validity of it now.

Much like the one you're going to be giving to her next unlucky victim, I suspect.

Seriously, I agree with the sentiments re getting rid of her .. but that can only happen when she finds somewhere to go.

Good luck OP ... maybe you should hire a property management company now, and get them to do the "heavy lifting", so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Good luck OP ... maybe you should hire a property management company now, and get them to do the "heavy lifting", so to speak.

This is exactly what I would be looking to do. Put a buffer between you and the tenant; inform her (in writing) that the letting agent will now be handling the tenancy and then block her number. Let them deal with her; they charge enough so let them earn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

And keep her deposit to pay for paint, skip hire and the like. She wouldn't get a red cent out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Where does it say this anywhere?
    Surely if it's a 12 month lease, it's renewed every year and if either party don't want to renew, they walk away?
    Once a tenant has been in occupancy (either under a fixed term agreement or a periodic agreement or a verbal agreement) for six months, the tenant acquires Part 4 tenancy rights and part of those rights is that the tenant may remain in the property for a total of 4 years without signing a new lease.

A tenant does not have to sign any lease at the end of a fixed term agreement. If the tenant wishes to remain in the property, it is the tenant's choice to decide whether s/he wants the security (and difficulty of leaving) of another fixed term agreement, or using the Part 4 rights, move over to a Part 4 tenancy which gives less security but ease of leaving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Part 4 is irrelevant here, the tenant has only been in situ a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

rovoagho wrote: »

Which is why the OP needs to end her tenancy before she gets near Part 4 territory

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

rovoagho wrote: »

Hopefully the OP hasn't hamstrung himself with clauses in the lease, giving the tenant rights they do not necessarily have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

djimi wrote: »
    Deduct it from her deposit.

Along with the cost of the paint she "disappeared"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Along with the cost of the paint she "disappeared"

+1
    And also the costs of the bathroom cabinets that she removed without your prior consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Jaypers, she sounds like a carbon-copy of a tenant that was in another apt in the house we were in when we rented-
    - Non-stop stream of unreasonable demands (often looked for in exchange for payment of already late rent)
    - Extremely careless with property furtniture, kitchen equipment etc of LL, and demanding replacement for all the stuff she had broken/damaged.
    - Went back to her home country for 2 months at a time leaving him in the lurch for unpaid rent.
    - Finally did a runner leaving unpaid rent and bills.

He was a very conciensous LL, well liked by all his tenants, and she had the poor guy heartbroken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Wow she is certainly trying to take you for all she can! Definitely listen to the advice you've been given here! Get a solicitor and get her out. No one should have to put up with bs like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

So I recently rented out my house to a new tenant and have an issue.

She calls me every single day. I got 24 phonecalls in one day from her and if I don't pick up, she keeps calling!! She's been saying she wants new this and new that. I got the carpet on the stairs redone cause it was awful. She wanted a professional painter in and I said no, bought the paint to do it myself and the paint is now gone.

She wanted a new sofa and beds which when I refused to pay for she said she would, I agreed but told her that it'd be a few weeks before I could get them outta the house, and she has called or text everyday asking me when. She wants a new shower cause hers is noisy, a new cooker because the timer button is broken (the cooker works without it), new kitchen chairs because the cushions on the current ones are "dirty", a new kitchen floor, and wants me to get rid of the blinds that she replaced.

Am I under any obligation to do any of this at all? I feel like just telling her to pack up her stuff and get out, it's ridiculous. I can't always answer the phone and I've told her this, but she just doesn't understand that my occupation is not "full time landlord". And if I don't answer she gets angry.

Didn't she not inspect the house before agreeing to a lease? Why did she sign up if the house did not meet her standards?

You have some obligations, ie to ensure that the house remains habitable. Some of this seems over the top. Some landlords would tell them to swing for it

If you were a more full time / professional landlord, however, few would sympathise with you. However, that does not seem to be the case. Simply do not answer the phone until you are free to do so. Sounds like an utter nutcase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Get rid of her and don't give in to any more of her demands.

We would do a fair bit more than is necessary for our tenant as she is long term and a great tenant and person but your tenant is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Wow thats some tenant.
    I was always under the impression of what you(person renting) broke owes the landlord by deposit. IE student accommodation you break a window you fix a window. you damage the furniture you replace the furniture by providing money to the landlord. or your deposit is used for the repairs.

I would in my backside be changing anything in my house if it wasnt broken and certainly not the furniture because they dont like it. I hope she knows or that you put into the contract that she will not be getting her deposit back because she has broken her lease by removing your fixed fittings and disposing of them(or trying to)

OP i hope you dont give into any more changes/demands the only demands should be. take it or get out. or my favourite Put up or Shut up unless its broken dont touch it but dont tell her that cause she might go and break everything.

Good luck for the future op hope you get sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

i feel sorry for you op, im a tennant, and would never ask for this list of demands, i did ask if i could change the sofa, the existing one was shocking, the landlord asked me to wait a few weeks, he put it on donedeal and got cash, we were both happy.
    you seem like a nice guy willing to paint ect but get rid of this woman,the tennancy board should help you, good luck and let us know what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I spoke to her previous landlord over the phone. To say I regret moving her in is an understatement. I got 10 missed calls in 7 minutes today. It's gone beyond a joke at this stage, I've asked her to be in this evening as I need to speak to her and have arranged for another collection of the couch.

Stop arranging for collection of couch, and start getting her to arrange for collection of her stuff. I can tell you from experience it will not get better.

You're trying to appease her now to prevent the hassle of re-advertising etc. I've made that mistake myself (although they weren't THIS bad). It just draws out the unpleasantness. She sounds like the type that will never be happy. You are costing yourself a fortune. You didn't rent this out unfurnished, is she planning on leaving all this stuff there when she moves out eventually, or are you effectively having all your furnishings binned, and will have to replace?

If she expects a repainting every year it's bonkers.

Save yourself some heartache and a lot of money. End this. You'll be subsidising this person's lifestyle expectations for a long time otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Strangely I would not be in a rush to kick her out. Unless you have explained to her what she can and can't do she is acting as she sees is appropriate.

Arrange a meeting and explain to her:
    1) What your obligations are
    2) What her obligations are
    3) The phone is not to be used unless an emergency or prior arrangement
    4) The equipment in the house was sight as seen and unless something is broken it will not be replaced. It may also be repaired
    5) Any changes to the property require written consent
    6) Any requests will be considered but must come writing and will receive a written response and that decision is final

If she doesn't like it then it will be easier to get her to move out.

I would also point out additional costs due to her not being at a greed appointment will have to be paid for her on top of the rent. Do not take anything out of a deposit as that is security for when the tenant leaves not a running account.

If you haven't cleared what is acceptable she may not be aware. If she breaks the rules then you have a t least grounds to prove she is being unreasonable. Keep a diary of events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I would strongly advise you take a third party along with you to witness any meeting you may have with this lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Is this lady foreign? Just wondering is she from a country where there are more obligations on landlords (although I'm sure there's nowhere that would do the things that she seems to demand)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fooster King

I had a tenant like this once, a lady from Austria. Ended up having windows realigned (for a draught), mattress replaced (too soft), carpet replaced with wooden floor, numerous electrical checks, etc. I explained to her that the apartment was let as it was seen at the viewing and not in some other "imagined" state. I told her that if she wasn't happy with these things at the viewing she should never taken out a lease (or at least without checking with me first if these things would be rectified later).

Eventually had enough and was about to ask her to leave when she told me that she had spoken to some of her work colleagues and that they had told her that she was too demanidng and was lucky to be still in the apt and that most landlords would have done nothing for her. She said that in Austria it it typical to have a long list of demands for landlords and that they get addressed, i.e. it can take hours to go through the lease, checking every item that is listed, that they are actually there, what condition they're in, etc. (even things like cups, toilet seats,.....)

When she realised it was different here she was fine and there were no more issues. She stayed for nearly 3 years without further problems.

My advice to you would be to tell she she signed the lease on the basis of what you showed her and if she's not happy with that she should leave (minus her deposit or whatever portion you need to cover the cost of advertising and loss of rent while you try and get a new tenant).

If you don't nip this in the bud it will be a 12 month (or longer) nightmare

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I spoke to her previous landlord over the phone. To say I regret moving her in is an understatement. I got 10 missed calls in 7 minutes today. It's gone beyond a joke at this stage, I've asked her to be in this evening as I need to speak to her and have arranged for another collection of the couch.

And is the previous LL still confirming the glowing reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

dixiefly wrote: »
    And is the previous LL still confirming the glowing reference?

he is glad to see the back of her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone. Currently on mobile so apologies if I miss out on anybody's replies.

Firstly, I'm a girl 😠haha, easy mistake to make. But I'm also quite young, about 25 years younger than her, so I think this may be a part of it also.

I am now afraid that if I kick her out she'll take her stuff with her and then I am left stuck with nothing for the house. I know I can take it from her deposit but to be honest the hassle etc., from that will probably prove too much and I'll end up giving it back to her.

I went around last night and told her she could only contact me via email, not to text or ring my phone unless there was an emergency otherwise as I wouldn't entertain it. Then what does she do this morning? Texts to see if I would reconsider this means of contact. I'm absolutely livid, it is not a difficult or unusual request as far as I can make out from the replies here. I don't understand how this can be misinterpretated as "ah sure go on, gimme a text in the morning and see if I'm in a better humour".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

I hope you didn't reply to the text, just ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

smee again wrote: »
    I hope you didn't reply to the text, just ignore

I ignored it. Got a few missed calls from a private number, not going to jump to conclusions but I'll definitely make an assumption! Text came thru at 5.50am from her today. I just don't even know why she thinks I'd be awake at that hour when she knows exactly what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I ignored it. Got a few missed calls from a private number, not going to jump to conclusions but I'll definitely make an assumption! Text came thru at 5.50am from her today. I just don't even know why she thinks I'd be awake at that hour when she knows exactly what I do.

5.50AM???? Oh hell no. The tenant is nuts. And she's taking the living p1ss out of you, playing on the fact you're young.

I'd be looking to get rid BEFORE the six months are up. She's been told and she's STILL on your case. Take advice from the PRTB, but you need to get her the hell out!!!Tell her to replace your gear, including the paint she threw out or you'll be taking the deposit.

Might there be a case for getting the Gards involved, as this is clear harassment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

Jesus Christ this person has Issues and am i right in saying shes 50+?

She sounds like someone who dances on a main street with a bible in her hand. She has to be on meds or something that makes her like that.

Get her out by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Go straight to a solicitor, get real advice based on your situation, this is a nightmare starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

This woman sounds like a complete and utter lunatic, get her out of your house ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

infosys wrote: »
    Go straight to a solicitor, get real advice based on your situation, this is a nightmare starting.

No need for a solicitor at this stage, that's just more unnecessary expense!

Print out a copy of landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities (available online e.g. PRTB website. Give it to the tenant, explain what falls outside the scope of landlord responsibilities, and therefore you won't be doing it. Explain that if she's not happy, you're willing to terminate the lease early. And even if you're not going to make her pay you for disposing of items of your property, make sure you make it clear that she WILL be paying if it happens again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement