Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage (Poll on The Journal)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

whats the next frontier after gay marriage?

There's still a lot of discrimination to tackle, LGBT youth homelessness for example...

Homophobia victims find refuge at unique Paris shelter
    Gay marriage was legalized in France last June. Homophobia, however, remains entrenched. But for young LGBT people whose homophobic families have kicked them out, a one-of-a-kind shelter in Paris is there to help.

Employment and housing discrimination being another issue to tackle, anti-LGBT violence, and transgender rights are all pretty much there as the next frontier so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

It is the Final Frontier surely? :D

Czarcasm wrote: »
    What do you mean by frontier "after" gay marriage? Once LGBT couples are given the same rights and recognition as heterosexual couples, that's all campaigners wanted, end of.

You could say it's the final frontier for LGBT couples to have achieved equal recognition as heterosexual couples, but that's it... There are no other issues that correlate or causate with the issue of LGBT marriage equality.

I cant believe you got the "final frontier" in before me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Penguins!

Polygamous gay muslim left wing Penguins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I cant believe you got the "final frontier" in before me :rolleyes:

I was going to say something about the rear ear, but I figured you wouldn't appreciate the inyourendoh :p

*jumps back in the closet, closes doors* :pac:

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    There's still a lot of discrimination to tackle, LGBT youth homelessness for example...

Homophobia victims find refuge at unique Paris shelter

Employment and housing discrimination being another issue to tackle, anti-LGBT violence, and transgender rights are all pretty much there as the next frontier so to speak.

With all due respect though Links, those are completely separate issues to the issue of LGBT marriage equality, they existed before LGBT marriage equality was legalised, and they exist after, but they have no correlation with LGBT marriage equality being legalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

its daft

kids will end up choosing gay marriage like a lifestyle choice the way all this equality nonsense is going

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

its daft

kids will end up choosing gay marriage like a lifestyle choice the way all this equality nonsense is going

It's not going to happen. But if they did, what's wrong with that?

its daft

Looks around boards at all the conservative biggots.....

Wonders why anyone would CHOOSE to be gay....

Scratches head.....

its daft

....so you'd have sex with somebody the same gender as yourself as a "lifestyle choice"?

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    It's not going to happen. But if they did, what's wrong with that?

cause then they'll be all like, you know, infected with the gay....they'll be "one of them" (looks for floppy wrist smiley - come on boards whats the story with your limited emoticons?) :D

i notice how everyone on these gay threads gets bashed as soon as they chime in with a conflicting view..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

its daft

You're looking for the Same Sex Child Marriage thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

i notice how everyone on these gay threads gets bashed as soon as they chime in with a conflicting view..
    Come up with something logical and it might get consideration.

It's been proven time and again that sexuality is not a "lifestyle choice" and what were you even alluding to by saying 'kids'?

Just like saying "marriage was intended for/as..." is the main thing that gets thrown around. Despite it predating any recorded history.

i notice how everyone on these gay threads gets bashed as soon as they they chime in with a conflicting view..put forth a view that cannot be substantiated

Fixed your post for you.

Would you have sex with somebody the same gender as yourself as a "lifestyle choice"?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

its daft

From reading AH regularly, everybody gets bashed as soon as they post up attention seeking nonsense.

Personally, I'm scared the way this equality nonsense is going, it'll end up compulsory to marry the ghey.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

K-9 wrote: »
    Personally, I'm scared the way this equality nonsense is going, it'll end up compulsory to marry the ghey.
    "I just went into the Dragon for a quick pint with the missus and next I knew, I was handcuffed and in a shotgun ghey marriage. Only... I don't think that was a shotgun!"

From reading AH regularly, everybody gets bashed as soon as they post up attention seeking nonsense.

Hardly. No more than its compulsory for gay people to marry straight people.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Come up with something logical and it might get consideration.

It's been proven time and again that sexuality is not a "lifestyle choice" and what were you even alluding to by saying 'kids'?

Just like saying "marriage was intended for/as..." is the main thing that gets thrown around. Despite it predating any recorded history.

Its part of the "wont someone think of the children" card that is frequently waved. The fact that straight people have gay children and gay people have straight children is completely overlooked in order to substantiate the "point".

• Advertisement

what makes you think that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

its daft

It is daft, all this equality nonsense. Where will it all end? :rolleyes:

old hippy wrote: »

heterosexuals having equal rights on gay threads hopefully

its daft

Where in the name of Jesus did you pull that from? I don't think even a child could come up with something so immature and completely daft!

Either way you look at it anyway -

Children under the age of 18 are not allowed to marry, so they would legally be adults before they are allowed even entertain the idea.

Second of all - Marriage is a lifestyle choice anyway, some people choose to get married, some people choose not to get married.

Thirdly - If this legislation is passed, there's nothing nonsensical about two people choosing to formalise a legal arrangement that they see of benefit to both parties for what they bring to the table and having the state recognise that union.

There have been heterosexual people enter into marriage and realise afterwards it wasn't for them, why would you expect or hold LGBT people to a higher standard?

If you wanted to encourage the institution of marriage and discourage people from rushing into something when they are unprepared or ill informed, that would apply equally to heterosexual people as much as it would LGBT people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Next they'll want one person to have the same opportunities as the other.

Yes, because being asked to substantiate your argument is as much of a deprivation of fundamental rights as being denied rights that affect one's inheritance, next of kin issues, tax credits, being able to adopt your partners child etc. :confused: There are no anti straight issues on this thread, the only time posts are challenged is if the points they put forward are unsubstantiated, as would happen in any discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Once we gave women the vote it was all downhill from there, now you've all kinds of minorities getting all uppity.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

What's next? Proper provision for abortion in Ireland would be a good one to have on the agenda.
    Damn political correctness, wanting people to be treated with respect.

Don't start that now. Ye'll only get the women riled up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

And how are you being denied equal rights, exactly? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement