Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for a friend in a pub

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I just take out my phone and pretend to be in the middle of something extremely important :pac: Thank god for unlimited data

Is that where you got your username from?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

cml387 wrote: »
    Just since we're on the subject of waiting in pubs.
    If you are a girl and have to wait in a pub for someone, and want to avoid being hassled, do the following.

If you get unwanted attention from a saddo, just give him your broadest smle and say

"I'm so glad you want to talk. Can I ask you, have you found room in your heart for Jesus?"

I think the whole girl being hassled thing is overblown. It happens but it's generally certain types of bars and more likely to happen on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

mp3 player audio book problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Love a bit of alone time in the pub. Plonk yourself at the bar, order a Guiness, look at the bloke beside you and mention something about "those government pr1cks" and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

JupiterKid wrote: »

Entertain me!

Is there a ginger haired barman there?
    Ask him if his name is Philip and we'll take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Don't mind being in pubs alone.

Find far more women approach me when I'm sitting at the bar by myself then they do when I'm with a group of friends for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Don't mind being in pubs alone.

Find far more women approach me when I'm sitting at the bar by myself then they do when I'm with a group of friends for some reason.

Im sure you have to beat them off with sticks!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Is that where you got your username from?!

Yep :D

Always pretending to have friends :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

friend of mine goes out on the town alone a lot and turns up a birthday parties of people he hardly knows, people might think its weird but he is just straight in there talking to people .i hate peoples perceptions that going somewhere alone makes them a loser or anti- social.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

friend of mine goes out on the town alone a lot and turns up a birthday parties of people he hardly knows, people might think its weird but he is just straight in there talking to people .i hate peoples perceptions that going somewhere alone makes them a loser or anti- social.

That's a bit weird now to be fair...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I used to love going into the pub by myself and striking up conversation with the barman. I'd soon be selecting the music and offering to clean the toilets in exchange for free drink. I retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Go to pub, find out the person you are meant to be meeting isn't there yet.

Take a seat at the bar, order a pint of Guinness, talk to the barman, the two part pour will mean he has to talk to you that bit longer

By now you might have built up some rapport with the barman, give out about something, ask what the local bar scene is like. whatever

Drink your pint, chat to them a bit, flip a few beer mats, tap your phone a bit. Go for a smoke.

^ Rinse repeat the above, it's not that difficult, and if you get over the self conscious feeling can be very enjoyable

People watching is good too, but difficult to to in a subtle way

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I used to love going into the pub by myself and striking up conversation with the barman. I'd soon be selecting the music and offering to clean the toilets in exchange for free drink. I retired.

I think you may have a problem :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'm guilty of doing that when I had nobody to go out with. I even gatecrashed a few hen parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

You misunderstand.

The original poster was speaking about waiting (as in expecting) rather than waiting (as in service industry waiting).

I hope I have clarified, as it could have caused confusion.

So I've been sitting at bars for 30 years waiting for people for people to give me money and it's not going to happen? Thank you Fox in Socks you utter sh1tbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

weemcd wrote: »
    Go to pub, find out the person you are meant to be meeting isn't there yet.

Take a seat at the bar, order a pint of Guinness, talk to the barman, the two part pour will mean he has to talk to you that bit longer

By now you might have built up some rapport with the barman, give out about something, ask what the local bar scene is like. whatever

Drink your pint, chat to them a bit, flip a few beer mats, tap your phone a bit. Go for a smoke.

^ Rinse repeat the above, it's not that difficult, and if you get over the self conscious feeling can be very enjoyable

People watching is good too, but difficult to to in a subtle way

I tried this but the major stumbling block to success was that a lot of barmen prattle on about tedious old shít far too much. It usually begins with talk about the latest GAA match. My blank expression leads to a conversational cul de sac. I found it best to have a paper, sit at a table and enjoy the pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Mmmmm-hmmmm...yo righ' on sistah!
    Ain't nobody got time fo' tha'! I'm talking DOWNTOWN...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

How do you establish he's a "saddo"?

By definition,if his attention is unwanted then he's a sadddo. Duh?

It's not weird but it's potentially a bit dangerous, especially if he's really drunk and loses his ability to think rationally. Drink and house parties with strange people don't always go to plan. Although saying that, it's usually easy enough to tell if people are decent. And being able to handle yourself physically means nothing if something slips something into your drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

Agricola wrote: »
    I tried this but the major stumbling block to success was that a lot of barmen prattle on about tedious old shít far too much. It usually begins with talk about the latest GAA match. My blank expression leads to a conversational cul de sac. I found it best to have a paper, sit at a table and enjoy the pint.

All depends on the quality of the barman of course, one your own age, or an older one who can hold more than one type of conversation. Fit young barwoman who can hold a conversation is he holy grail

TBH I do like not having to talk at all though, sometimes just to sit with a drink and do nothing, but of existential bliss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Luap wrote: »
    When I'm waiting for a person I play myself in a game of pool.

I always win!

I've done that the odd time too. Except I'd pretend that I'm Steve Davis one round, and Alex Higgins the next, just to see which "me" would win. Trouble is my rate of drinking would also increase, meaning I'd be half sloshed by the time my mates arrived. :(

You sound lovely. :rolleyes:

Oh that's the definition of saddo? I must have missed that dictionary entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

All I meant to suggest was that women in pubs, sitting on their own may sometimes get unwanted attention.

I would have thought (maybe times have moved on) that if someone is insisting on engaging in conversation even though it is unwanted, then that might be considered, well, a bit sad.

However, if hassling women in pubs is now the thing, well call me Mr. Wrong.

I'd have a few pints on my own from time to time. Might chat to the bar man or just sit on my own and watch the tv or read the paper or internet on the phone.

Wouldn't feel uncomfortable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Lapin wrote: »
    Its a pub ffs, not a silent monastary.

Could you not get talking to a few people while you're waiting ?

nothing worse than some random stranger invading a private groups space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

You misunderstand.

The original poster was speaking about waiting (as in expecting) rather than waiting (as in service industry waiting).

I hope I have clarified, as it could have caused confusion.

OP is expecting? Congratulations! Thanks for clearing up any confusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Pug160 wrote: »
    It's not weird but it's potentially a bit dangerous, especially if he's really drunk and loses his ability to think rationally. Drink and house parties with strange people don't always go to plan. Although saying that, it's usually easy enough to tell if people are decent. And being able to handle yourself physically means nothing if something slips something into your drink.

Some sound advice there Mom.
    Sure, probably better off not leaving the house in case something might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

What time did the OP's friend arrived at or is he still waiting??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

dmc17 wrote: »
    OP is expecting? Congratulations! Thanks for clearing up any confusion

Yep...I'm due to pop any day now. Miracle of modern science as the first man
    To give birth.:pac::D

Update: My friend finally arrived at 10:20pm. Half-hearted apology for turning up almost an hour late. He also (unsuccessfully) tried to chat up a gaggle of hens. Thanks for the suggestions on how to spend solitary time in a boozer.

Advertisement