Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for a friend in a pub

Options
  • 24-10-2013 9:50pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm here sitting in a pub waiting for a mate to arrive. We arranged to meet at 9.30pm and its now 9.45 and I get a text from him saying he's running late and won't be here until "just after" 10.

Does anyone we here feel a bit uncomfortable sitting on yer own in a pub whike everyone else around you are enjoying each others' company and you stick out like a sore thumb?

Anyone else here sometimes end up waiting for ages for a friend to arrive, twiddling your thumbs (or logging on to beards)?

Tell your pub waiting stories here...:pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

I like sitting at the bar if I'm on my own. I actually like sitting at the bar all the time. I don't much like people being late though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Best typo ever, the world needs more people logging onto beards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So I'm here sitting in a pub waiting for a mate to arrive. We arranged to meet at 9.30pm and its now 9.45 and I get a text from him saying he's running late and won't be here until "just after" 10.

Does anyone we here feel a bit uncomfortable sitting on yer own in a pub whike everyone else around you are enjoying each others' company and you stick out like a sore thumb?

Anyone else here sometimes end up waiting for ages for a friend to arrive, twiddling your thumbs (or logging on to beards)?

Is that a website about facial hair? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I just take out my phone and pretend to be in the middle of something extremely important :pac: Thank god for unlimited data

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Everyone thinks you're drinking alone. Buy an extra pint and leave it on the table so it looks like your drinking buddy has popped out. And stay looking at your phone as if you're texting when you're actually looking at your calendar notes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I like it actually. I like to people-watch when in a pub waiting for someone who's late

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I used to wait in pub, but the tips were terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I whip out my phone and start playing Tower Defense. Then when my friend shows up, I get pissed at him for disturbing me cos I'm in the last wave

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

Just since we're on the subject of waiting in pubs.
    If you are a girl and have to wait in a pub for someone, and want to avoid being hassled, do the following.

If you get unwanted attention from a saddo, just give him your broadest smle and say

"I'm so glad you want to talk. Can I ask you, have you found room in your heart for Jesus?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

You will grow out of it OP.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    I used to wait in pub, but the tips were terrible.

You misunderstand.

The original poster was speaking about waiting (as in expecting) rather than waiting (as in service industry waiting).

I hope I have clarified, as it could have caused confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Doesnt really bother me, Im always early so Im waiting around for ages. I just sit back and watch people around me. I used to hate it and feel like the whole place thought I had been stood up or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

So I'm here sitting in a pub waiting for a mate to arrive.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-0Ds05UnrA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8-0Ds05UnrA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its a pub ffs, not a silent monastary.

Could you not get talking to a few people while you're waiting ?

cml387 wrote: »
    Just since we're on the subject of waiting in pubs.
    If you are a girl and have to wait in a pub for someone, and want to avoid being hassled, do the following.

If you get unwanted attention from a saddo, just give him your broadest smle and say

"I'm so glad you want to talk. Can I ask you, have you found room in your heart for Jesus?"

How do you establish he's a "saddo"?

I wouldn't go that far, but would the average person be able to spend a few minutes alone without logging on a social networking website or gazing into a smartphone in a pub? Is it self conciousness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

When I'm waiting for a person I play myself in a game of pool.

I always win!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I meant boards!! Though I do have a beard...:D

Friend still has t turned up yet. For him "just after 10" could mean 20 past or later. I do watch others in the pub. I don't really sit right at the bar as that can give off the wrong signal.

Entertain me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Being comfortable while waiting for someone is a measure of a good pub. I find I can't read unless there's silence, but I can manage a crossword to pass the time in a noisy place. (The cryptic crossword is the measure of a good conversation starter. :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Lapin wrote: »
    Its a pub ffs, not a silent monastary.

Could you not get talking to a few people while you're waiting ?

I would never in a million years do that. I envy people who can just walk up to strangers and strike up a conversation, but I would walk over and break down in tears I think :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭TheHighest92

people care too much what others think, the worst that can happen is an attractive woman could come sit beside you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I wouldn't go that far, but would the average person be able to spend a few minutes alone without logging on a social networking website or gazing into a smartphone in a pub? Is it self conciousness?

I do it all the time as I've no smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnnymt

That was entertaining!

What's your friends name?
    James
    What's your name?
    James

Voiceover "Because he said his name is also James, the officer knows he's lying"

people care too much what others think, the worst that can happen is an attractive woman could come sit beside you

That happened to me before actually. She was absolutely stunning too. Only thing was she was a hooker.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I do it all the time as I've no smartphone.

Me too, but just the Original Post got me thinking. I'd often see people constantly looking at their phones, even old model phones if they're waiting on someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

people care too much what others think
    It's not about what others think of me sitting on my own waiting, it's the fear of drunken people coming over and getting all up on mah grill.

Me too, but just the Original Post got me thinking. I'd often see people constantly looking at their phones, even old model phones if they're waiting on someone.

Maybe they're waiting for the sext? ;)

Anyway back to the OP. I've travelled alone a few times and have gone into bars alone. You can always talk to the bar staff or even the people next to you if they're willing. Or failing that just entertain yourself with beards.

Jasus I must get myself a smartphone.

It's not about what others think of me sitting on my own waiting, it's the fear of drunken people coming over and getting all up on mah grill.

Mmmmm-hmmmm...yo righ' on sistah!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Jesus Saves! button on his T-shirt.

Advertisement