Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,792 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What rubbish is this? Excise itself has never been higher and your claiming alcohol is still the cheapest it's ever been?

You just can't stop misrepresenting things to push your own agenda can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oh Christ, how many times does it have to be explained.

Pre MUP alcohol has never been cheaper in Ireland in real terms, i.e. relative to income etc.

This article is 12 years old, but it makes the point I am making here.

in 2010 alcohol was 50% cheaper than it was in 1995

And it's coming from Conor Pope in the Irish Times, a pretty reputable journalist and a pretty reputable publication so don't lose you s**t just because it quotes AAI.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Could it possibly be that alcohol was maybe too expensive in the 90s then if its 50% cheaper but we still have the most expensive in europe? Also why are we still arguing about it when statistics also show we are drinking less than we were 20 years ago when supposedly alcohol has never been cheaper and consumption is still dropping? Apparently cheap booze doesn't lead to the country drinking more as has been claimed by multiple people on the anti-alcohol bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

but we still have the most expensive in europe? 

But no one is arguing otherwise.

The * on my post that you replied to (below) said as much, we are not cheaper than Europe.

But in terms relative to everything else in Ireland pre MUP alcohol has never been cheaper.

* Cheap - I know alcohol in Ireland is not cheap relative to other European countries but in real terms pre MUP alcohol was the cheapest it's ever been in Ireland.

And im saying if its cheaper now than its ever been yet still more expensive than anywhere in Europe while our consumption is dropping steadily for going on 2 decades and there are 14 countries with higher consumption according to the OECD then why do we need MUP?

• Advertisement

why do we need MUP?

Asked and answered several times in the thread.

The answers may not sit well with you but answered nonetheless

The real answer is we dont for all the reasons i stated in my post, the only reason it ever made it onto the politicial agenda was to save the pubs from becoming obsolete and when they realised that doing it for that reason was A illegal and B a really bad look politically they pivoted it to health.

They even admit to their impending obsolenceses when they directly lobbied government complaining that the public werent buying as much alcohol as they used to.

More than 60% of all alcohol is now sold via mixed trade retail units. A decade ago 70% of all alcohol was sold & consumed in pubs/restaurants/hotels with the remainder sold in independent off-licences & to a lesser extent supermarkets & mixed trade outlets. This change has contributed to the debate about the effects of binge drinking & a lack of control in this area & has been facilitated to a large extent by the change in S8 (4), Intoxicating Liquor Act 2000 which repealed S13 of the 1960 Act.

FYI they also lobbied the government directly 29 times that were reported begging for MUP to be introduced. God knows how many times they did it prior to the introduction of the lobbying register and who knows how many unofficial approaches were made.

AAI lobbied for it 4 times..... i wonder who had more of an interest in it?

I remember keenly back in the early days of the MUP debate a representative of the VFI or LVF making the incredulous claim that it was far safer for people to drink in pubs as barstaff are "trained" and "qualified" (LOL) to not over serve customers and people were drinking far more at home. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times ive seen people be refused service in an Irish pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Actually, yes, I have actually experienced this, only once though!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Alcohol is a dangerous drug by nearly any metric i.e. health, social, economic, crime (see the economist image from Lancet)etc. So the government needs to stop anything that could promote abuse of it, such as selling under the cost.

Having said the above, the cynic in me does think that it is a happy coincidence that the vintners association want MUP, and not for the public health element.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If it's a dangerous drug CLOSE THE PUBS. Alcohol consumption dropped 6.5% last year due to lockdowns.

MUP isn't about selling under the cost, that could have been enacted years ago without new legislation, if it was such a pressing health concern.

Low to moderate consumption of alcohol is not dangerous. Much of the alcohol harms relate to on sale consumption, which MUP does not address.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Well the Michael Martin himself repealed the Groceries order in 2006 which is what used to stop below cost selling so why not just reintroduce that instead of the draconian unnecessary MUP? There are numerous better ways to fix this problem they claim needs fixing, like reintroduce a version of the groceries order or simply increase excise and ring fence the funding but instead they chose the one that helps out a very specific large lobbying group and does nothing to help the exchequer and instead pushes more money into the very industry they are claiming is causing problems?

I agree with a lot of what you say. I think it definitely a sop toward a significant lobby group as you say, however I don't think it pushes more money to the alcohol industry as they are more likely to sell less in Ireland and the excess money is mostly going to supermarkets. The producers are not raising their prices and will lose most likely lose some volume of sales.

"Much of the alcohol harms relate to on sale consumption, which MUP does not address." Not sure what you mean by on sale consumption. If by on sale you mean reduced price, I would argue that MUP directly tries to address that by setting a minimum.

You're right moderate consumption is not dangerous. Most moderate drinkers are not buying slabs on cheap beer.

MUP is a crude tool to try and address the issue.

MUP is a crude tool to try and address the issue.

And yet will be effective in leading to the elimination of cheap alcohol and therefore leading to reduced consumption

What's not to like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't claim to have followed the MUP saga from the start, but my perception was always that it was about mainly meant to be about reducing the risk for problem drinkers, rather than society-wide.

I read the gov.ie press release on the introduction of the MUP and they reference two things: Reducing harms experienced by problem drinkers, and the availability of alcohol to underage drinkers at 'pocket money prices'.

Putting aside the latter (Which I think is a laudable aim but not sure this is the way to go about it), the problem drinkers element seems like it should be a focus. Were there these problem drinkers drinking things like high abv cheap white ciders and ending up dead more frequently than before? If that was going on, then the fact that consumption of alcohol society wide was going down wouldn't mean there wasn't a problem there to be addressed for that specific cohort.

Accepting that there might be reasons publicans and perhaps others were in favour of the MUP, it seems like if you believe the stated goals of the project, that it was a targeted means of addressing harm to a section of the population who are at risk, then yeah moderate or low consumption drinkers were not a consideration. If you were someone who consumed a relatively small amount of budget alcohol you're collateral damage.

If MUP could be shown to save lives I think it actually would be valid to debate if maybe the extra cost imposed on others is worth it (I think it's not a crazy position to try to defend). But when there's some reason to believe MUP is a blunt instrument that does not achieve its goals the punitive element on low income people who consume low or moderate amounts of alcohol seems less fair.

How do you know most moderate drinkers don't buy slabs of beer? They were great value for money. Enough beer for weeks at a good price. Based on my own consumption of course.

If we are to have mup it should also be extended to the pubs, I would believe most anti social and problem drinking originates there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just on the pubs, the authorities are hardly likely to hear about a publican standing free drinks because who would tell them.

In other news I thought of a work around for an off licence proprietor wanting to do a favour for a friend.

Let the customer buy on tick at the full price ie. €47.34 but he never clears his account just paying off €30 now and again.

Far fetched but possibly legal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In theory we already have tools to address problem drinking in pubs - we just don't enforce them in real terms.

We have legislation from 2003 that makes it an offence to serve alcohol to a drunken person, or to engage in disorderly conduct in a licensed premises, failing to leave if asked to do so by the licence holder or a Garda... That's on top of all the other legislation relating to licensed premises that indirectly relate to trying to keep pubs orderly.

Not sure anyone ever intended or would want to see that enforced to the letter of the law.

It would be interesting to know where the cohort of problem drinkers that are meant to be dying drink. How many drink on licensed premises, how many are rough sleepers / homeless or otherwise drinking at home, or what combination of the two? Certainly my impression is that the MUP advocates were saying they're drinking on the streets or at home.

Solving the issue of problem drinking is indeed a noble aim and will have benefits for all of society.

To this end everyone should be playing their part to help.

Moderate drinkers who drink at home are asked to make a sacrifice for the greater good in solving a problem not of their making.

It's not a nice feeling as a citizen of a democratic state to think you are being treated as "collateral damage" when your elected parliament is introducing legislation.

But problem drinkers ie alcoholics dont care about prices, they will get their fix no matter the cost so the only people this will affect is their vulnerable families who will have less money for everything else. Also the new pricing may also push these people away from lighter alcohol like beers and towards spirits as they are now priced to get more bang for your buck vs beers etc. Finally they could also just go towards the black market which would be even more detrimental to their health in the long run.

Basically the argument that this is focused on problem drinkers holds no water and makes no logical sense when matched up with how addictions work.

If this was really about health and problem drinkers they would have used excise and ringfenced the new tax take for treatment and addiction services but once again the exchequer will see virtually nothing of this price increase and the sellers will get nearly all of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sorry I wasn't clear by "on sale" I meant consumption on premises of pubs or nightclubs, as opposed to "off sales".

People bought slabs \ crates of beer on offer for parties, christmas that kind of thing. Just because it was bought by one person doesn't mean it's all going to be drunk in one weekend, by that person.

I've bought several 6 bottle wine case deals for below MUP, wines which may get drunk over the course of weeks, or longer, depending on the wine and what's for dinner. I've bought bottles of €5 wine as cooking wine.

It's a crude tool which has been chosen because of the influence of one particular lobby.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Absolutely, I buy slabs and could never be described as a heavy drinker, a 'mad night' might be 3 cans on a Saturday night, the slab lasts me ages, it's not about the volume it was about the value, I bought a few slabs before it kicked in, that'll pretty much last me the year.

The 'pocket-money' pricing remarks might have some grounds, a can of beer shouldn't be cheaper than a coke but when I was young an wild we never, ever bought a slab; a few cans was it, maybe a naggin if you really wanted to vomit and make a show of yourself.

As far as making a sacrifice for the greater good, we've all had enough of that kind of condescending nonsense lately, this is going to do little to nothing to stop problem drinking and we all know it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nope, not legal, and liable to be spotted if done at scale. When the company accounts show that the business is regularly writing off the bad debts of customers it will raise a red flag, indicating that they're de facto selling below MUP. Bye bye licence.

And again, publicans giving out free pints is specifically allowed for under the Act and completely legal.

You may be right but I was thinking of it being a small scale thing which could go under the radar.

I wasn't thinking in terms of writing off debt, rather collecting the debt in instalments.

Just remembered the Dail bar did actually write off debts when TDs and Senators failed to settle their tabs.

Glad to hear free drinks in pubs are not affected even though I don't expect to be a recipient of publicans generosity any time soon.🙂

Not getting caught doesn't make something legal, or even "possibly legal". It read like you were thinking in terms of writing off the debt when you said "he never clears his account". If he never clears his account then the debt is written off and the price paid is below MUP.

The Members' Bar in Leinster House (pet peeve: like "road tax" there's no such thing as the "Dáil Bar") wrote the unpaid tabs off completely, so under the 2018 Act that's free and legal, not below-MUP selling.

Just kicking a few ideas around here, nothing of much consequence.

If the customer is making regular payments to clear an account would it ever need to be written off?

In the accounts it would appear to be recoverable due to the payments.

There are two bars in the Dail.

I was in the Dail Bar a few times and even got a few drinks bought for me so I've no "pet peeve" with it, long may it prosper.

I was never in the Members Bar because you have to be a current or retired TD, Senator or Attorney General to get in

I do have a problem with them writing off debts.

They should pay their way, they are paid enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bottle of bucky not affected by mup fwiw, for all the "cheaper than pocket money" rubbish. Most underage drinkers were probably paying near mup anyway, as the cheapest places to buy were the supermarkets, which are also the strictest on ID.

A second fwiw me and my father in law got three slabs between us before christmas because of MUP. We're not even through one yet - we generally have 2 a week each from the stash. That's not the extent of what either of us drink, but shows that below MUP slab does not equal big party nights/ drinking to excess.

Good point on the underage. You tend to buy beers in smaller, more expensive places.

If you only drink a couple of beers a week then it is really just an annoyance. It probably won't impact your life. However, I know a lot of big drinkers who going through slabs and perhaps that doubling of the cost might force them to buy less.

No, it would not be written off if the customer kept paying it. Your scenario, however, was that MUP could be legally dodged by never paying the full amount.

You weren't in the Dáil Bar because it doesn't exist. You were in the Visitors' Bar, which backs on to the Members' Bar.

• Advertisement

Just say if you don't want to be my sounding board on this, no harm done.

Take a local Supervalu as a case in point.

The customer opens an account and buys all his shopping, newspapers etc. there plus a case of beer which is billed to him at the full MUP price.

Every month he pays his bill except for a discount of say €15.

Who is to say that the discount is not on the rest of his purchases during the month?

What about that then?

I get you about the Members Bar, my mistake.

Advertisement