Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your OH and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

godtabh wrote: »
    Pity you need a 510 to use it. Dont think I could justify the upgrade on that alone

From the link it looks like you can just use the Garmin Fit App with a subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Junior wrote: »

My OH bought me the Frame I'm using at the moment as a Christmas Present, she also bought me a Orbea for my birthday this year so I think she's a keeper. To be fair she has her own road bike and does a fair bit of cycling too - she's now looking for an upgrade to a Carbon Fibre frame ..

Where does one find such a woman :)

I've told mine I'm getting her a pink MTB so she can join me and the kids when we go for a spin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

hardCopy wrote: »
    From the link it looks like you can just use the Garmin Fit App with a subscription

No sub on mine. Its the 510, got it handy on handtec so bought it, I didn't justify it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

"You're going out on the bike again? You were out Sunday" So I'm looking at rapidly diminishing appreciation for my fledgling cycling career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Her indoors : "you're going out for how long ?"
    Me : "Tw....tw.....thr.....two hours"
    Her indoors: "Fcek that, 1 hour"
    Me : "1 and a half ?"
    Her indoors : "1 HOUR !"
    Me : "Ok..........." /ish
    1 hr 40mins later.......
    Her indoors : "You **** ******** ***** ******* little **** ****" !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

1 hr 40mins later.......

I think we have all expereined that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

My OH is completely fine with me going off for the day cycling, we have no children and we're both pretty independent and happy doing our own thing.
    Me going off cycling gives each of us space, which is good when you've lived together for years - probably explains why we stay together too - we hardly see each other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yay, first in there with "I don't have an OH, I get to do what ever I like whenever I like.

I'm so lonely.
    Reminds me of the old stand-up bit.

"Does anyone here suffer from a crushing feeling of loneliness? No? Just me then."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Yay, first in there with "I don't have an OH, I get to do what ever I like whenever I like.

I'm so lonely.

I think at this point I've accepted the bike is my OH. Which I guess makes me a bigamist.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

I have two kids at home and the oldest is 5 , youngest is 2 so the schedule is driven by whats on for them and then what time you can find. Still always get a 2-4 hours of freedom but this is because I played hockey every Saturday until last season and the time spent at matches has been shifted to cycling.

Still get stick on some days as the LIST gets longer and longer when I get back.

Most of my cycling at this time of year is the commute in and out. Looking forward to the days when the kids don't need us in the mornings so I can get out early without an earful and stay out longer.

Big plus for cycling for me is that I can manage my own time on the bike and don't have to worry about being somewhere at a certain time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

1 hr 40mins later.......

Wasn't there a thread here before about some lad getting the silent treatment from his other half for ages after going for a cycle for a few hours at the weekend? I wonder what became of that situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

buffalo wrote: »
    I think at this point I've accepted the bike is my OH. Which I guess makes me a bigamist.

What about your new wife, Buffalo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

My husband got me into cycling, I race/train more than he does. Holidays generally involve cycling these days. Don't do a huge amount of cycling together as can lead to this type of scenario (sadly I am the slower one)http://vimeo.com/67465768

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

quozl wrote: »
    What about your new wife, Buffalo?

doozerie's not keen on sharing apparently. ah well, me and my Betsies will get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

My OH has absolutely no interest what so ever she couldnt give less of a ****e to be honest . . .but . . .in fairness is very good in relation to spin time can kinda go out whenever i want once things are cool with the kids. . . AND she bought me a full suss Scott MTB last christmas fot that I am truly grateful. . . However as regards sharing my cycling achievements with some who cares I tell . . . My mammy (dats my bikerbhoy )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i came 3rd today love (me bursting with joy). Oh "thats nice love did you put fuel in the car on the way home".Dont know how she puts up to me to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Went down to one car about 7 years ago so I "have" to cycle everywhere and never a complaint from her.

Win/win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

She get me into cycling by lending me her hybrid one morning when we were still in our early days. She likes going on smaller cycling trips around the country, and I got to buy her a lovely 70's Raleigh roadbike to pretty up.

She suggested a trip from London to Paris next year. Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Though she doesn't cycle herself, her dad has been involved in the Irish Road Club since the 60's and would drag her around as a kid to help him marshal/organise at the Gorey 3 day and the Junior Tour of Ireland so thankfully she's well used to the concept.

We don't live together and she works 12 hour shifts for 3-5 days a week so working in evening spins is easy enough, plus on weekends she's not working doesn't mind me heading off for one of the mornings as she'll just relax in bed while I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

She doesn't mind as long as I an not gone too long or as long as I'm not too tired to get tender after ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

i just pretend I'm having an affair.
    its easier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

i just pretend I'm having an affair.
    its easier

I heard of one old boy who does it other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Betcha he doesn't lie either...

"just going for a ride!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

lets his wife have the affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Only really cycle to work but been laying the groundwork for my new bike and she says 'so what's your next fad going to be?' I hit her back with a straight faced 'sure I've cycled all our married lives (22yrs)!' Her response? Uncontrolled laughter to the point of choking....
    Ah well at least I still make her laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Read a book recently in which 1 cyclist had a Belgian wife she never minded how much time he spent on bike as all Belgians cycle so she thought it was natural for hubby to disappear on bike for 6-7 hrs at weekends !

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

She looks on it as a necessary evil. Got her to do the Western Greenway, that was the most of it. Got questioned about the new boards jersey. Told her I paid for it ages ago (kinda true) and that she must remember it being delivered (lie, it was delivered to work). May get another one and let on nothing :-)
    Regarding hitting off cycling, no problem with that. We have no kids so no obligations. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

Bought her a tandem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Bought her a tandem.

So that's why your TT results have been so good :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

So that's why your TT results have been so good :rolleyes:

What can i say, training with an extra 55kg helps.

Advertisement