Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your OH and cycling

Options
  • 22-10-2013 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭

Is your OH interested in cycling or does he/she just grin and bear your involvement in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Not really, she's shown an interest in learning this year but still sees bikes as interchangeable, definitely won't be a fan of me heading off on Club spins etc when I do and a really big unFan of me spending money on cycling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

My hands just hold the handlebars and keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It's his fault I started cycling.

He's also my sometime mechanic, support car driver, photographer etc.

I do wonder if he regrets it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Depends. If I say I'm going for 2 hours and arrive 4 hours later I get in ****. If I say I'll be gone for 4 hours and come back early nothing is said.

I try to do most of my cycling so it doesn't affect family time. During the week I'm out and gone before she is up so as long as I dont wake her its all good.

At the weekends I'll go early so as to not waste the whole day.

She does get pissed when I spend money on stuff so I never get gear delivered to home any more!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

She's faster than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Since I put together a 'lightish' bike for my girlfriend, she has gotten into cycling at the weekends and commuting to work. She is happy enough to go longish distances (we did the Achill greenway) but she's never going down the specific cycle clothing route. She does watch quite a bit of cycling with me (just because it's on in the room) She cheers on Dan and Nico and can tell the difference between Peter Sagan and Joaquim Rodriguez.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

No idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If it wasn't cycling it'd be some other nerdy hobby anyway and at least the cycling keeps me fit. She knew what she was marrying into :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just to add my wife suggested that I join Orwell and that when things really started going cycling wise so its all her fault (which I keep reminding her about!)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

to keep the OH happy all my midweek cycles start after 8ish when kids are gone to bed plus she can watch her soaps without my moaning so that works
    my week-end cycle is usually after 12(she likes a lie in) but she isnt a fan of 4 hour plus cycles so i limit these to 1 or 2 a month and just do a quick 50-60km the other times usually bout 2hr ish
    small compromise to keep everyone happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

no interest, enjoys watching me on LiveTrack when its pi**ing rain! :D
    As above I am gone out before 8am and back around 1-3hrs later depending on the day in order to not impact the family :D

What's live track?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Mine prefers the running but likes to get out for a couple of hours on a sunday herself. In college this year on a saturday so that is helping me knock out the back to back cycles at the weekend
    Also a fan of turbo sessions with me

Nope, and I have tried to turn her to the dark side. She wants to go on the Mayo Greenway though, I'll be making sure we do that in Spring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

No not even close..

she does give out a lot saying Im in the gym or out training all the time, and give her no time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

godtabh wrote: »
    I would say cycling is a highlight of the day rather than time you waste or should be treated that way if it is something you enjoy doing ;).

Seweryn wrote: »
    I would say cycling is a highlight of the day rather than time you waste or should be treated that way if it is something you enjoy doing ;).

Depends on the point of view!

I don't care as long as I get a few kms in my legs. These days if its bright its a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Depends. If I say I'm going for 2 hours and arrive 4 hours later I get in ****. If I say I'll be gone for 4 hours and come back early nothing is said.

I try to do most of my cycling so it doesn't affect family time. During the week I'm out and gone before she is up so as long as I dont wake her its all good.

She does get pissed when I spend money on stuff so I never get gear delivered to home any more!

Cycling should never be viewed as a waste of a day! She needs to get out for a ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

My one fear is that when I die, my other half will sell my bikes for what I told her they cost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

My OH wants to get into it with me, will have to get her a bike!

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    My OH wants to get into it with me, will have to get her a bike!

Give her your bike. You deserve a new bike for getting her into cycling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Yay, first in there with "I don't have an OH, I get to do what ever I like whenever I like".

I'm so lonely.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What's live track?

http://www8.garmin.com/livetrack/

:)

Yay, first in there with "I don't have an OH, I get to do what ever I like whenever I like.

I'm so lonely.

no one is alone in the peloton. Keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yay, first in there with "I don't have an OH, I get to do what ever I like whenever I like.

I'm so lonely.

Think this guy was first actually :D
    Zyzz wrote: »
    My hands just hold the handlebars and keep quiet.

I am always amazed at these threads. I cycle a bit, but love having the time to myself weekend mornings. I think it's brilliant he's so fit and passionate about a sport. I can't see the downside unless you have kids or weekends are the only time you spend together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

I'm so lonely.

My OH bought me the Frame I'm using at the moment as a Christmas Present, she also bought me a Orbea for my birthday this year so I think she's a keeper. To be fair she has her own road bike and does a fair bit of cycling too - she's now looking for an upgrade to a Carbon Fibre frame ..

yop wrote: »

Pity you need a 510 to use it. Dont think I could justify the upgrade on that alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Upgrades don't need to be justified

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I convinced my girlfriend to get a bike on the Bike To Work scheme at Christmas a couple of years ago. Within a month she had a 450KM cycle route across Italy planned, which we cycled in the following May. Now she cycles to work and has been out on club spins with my tri club and we've done Gaelforce and a couple of sportives together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

hardCopy wrote: »
    I convinced my girlfriend to get a bike on the Bike To Work scheme at Christmas a couple of years ago. Within a month she had a 450KM cycle route across Italy planned, which we cycled in the following May. Now she cycles to work and has been out on club spins with my tri club and we've done Gaelforce and a couple of sportives together.

That burning feeling you're experiencing is the full glare of my hatred...lucky barstool!

Advertisement