Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racing in 2014: 'You have to compete in 6 league races next year before you can race'

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Inquitus wrote: »
    Indeed and then they get taken out by the longtime A4 racer who went round the blind bend on the wrong side of the road trying to get into position for the sprint he wont place in........and tries to force his way in when the car comes the other way round the bend.

There's alot wrong with the A4 peleton and the blame can be cast far and wide.

I'm not denying that. But the fact that there are people riding recklessly who should know better doesn't take away from the issue that some newcomers are going in at the deep end with little or no instruction.

We've a lot of people coming into the sport as adults in Ireland. In the continent I think the basic skills are drummed into kids as they're coming up through the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'm not denying that. But the fact that there are people riding recklessly who should know better doesn't take away from the issue that some newcomers are going in at the deep end with little or no instruction.

We've a lot of people coming into the sport as adults in Ireland. In the continent I think the basic skills are drummed into kids as they're coming up through the ranks.

Fair point, but there's poor riding, stupid risk taking, big fields on small courses, bad roads, alot of contributing factors.

TBH far more selective courses would definitely alleviate alot of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

This, unfortunately, is the problem with nearly every aspect of society here IMO. We don't ingrain the correct mindset, mentality or teach the right level of skills in many areas of life, be it sporting or otherwise in this country.

Having said that, Caveat Emptor to the new rider.

Having said that, the licencing body so be on this like a rocket to sort it out.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Fair point, but there's poor riding, stupid risk taking, big fields on small courses, bad roads, alot of contributing factors.

TBH far more selective courses would definitely alleviate alot of the issues.

You mean more hills, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You mean more hills, right?

Bet he is a skinny fooker

• Advertisement

Bet he is a skinny fooker

Who? Me or inquitus?

inquitus

inquitus

Ha ha! Ask him about the first race we did in Donore earlier this year!

Anybody that's looking for more hills is always like an extra from Schindlers list

What happened in Donore

Anybody that's looking for more hills is always like an extra from Schindlers list

What happened in Donore

Some skinny fella gave his slightly more portly frame a right spanking on the hills there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Some skinny fella gave his slightly more portly frame a right spanking on the hills there.

I dropped you on the first lap in the wet at Corkagh park around the same time!

So let's define selective. Hilly enough for me to drop the sprinters and with enough gravelly wet turns to leave corners like a London bus Doyle firmly in my wake!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I rode club season before riding open races. I think it stood to me, but I'm still crap! The reasons for the carnage seen this year are many: better marshalling/rule enforcement, better routes, and limitation of field proportionate to the roads will help.
    But, there are a lot of people that a4 is their level. They are not fast enough for a3 (especially with the juniors). My point is this: A4 is a level, not a transient state on the way to A3. Perhaps limiting the number of learner-A4's per race to ?10-15%. It could be achieved by this: when you get your 1st licence you get an A4* designation on your licence. Promoters can only sign on say 10 A4* per field of 80. This can be done through pre-registration which I understand is coming this year. Once you have the required probation done, you go full A4 or up to A3 if you get the points.
    This idea assumes that the newbies are the problem, which I know from experience, they are not.

Advertisement